At Pocket Gems, We’re Serious About Fun
Pocket Gems develops free-to-play mobile games that are ridiculously fun. We were founded in 2009 by Daniel Terry and Harlan Crystal, engineers and gaming industry outsiders, who wanted to bring the excitement of social gaming to the mobile platform. Our 15+ titles to-date have been smash hits, each landing at the top of the charts and entertaining millions of customers across the globe.
We have two missions:
- Build the world’s best mobile engineering team – Mobile is the platform of the next decade and gaming will feature some of the most compute- and memory-intensive applications. We want to be the place to work for engineers who are as excited about pushing the limits of mobile hardware as we are. Think that sounds fun? So do we.
- Become a global leader in the mobile entertainment industry – Over the past 20 years, entertainment has evolved. What once existed only on the TV screen or computer monitor now fits in the palm of your hand. This platform enables experiences never before possible and represents the next wave of innovation in entertainment. Using a combination of creativity and analytics, we want to expand that frontier by delivering the most engaging mobile experiences available.
With funding by Sequoia Capital, we have the resources to be able to pursue these goals and build upon our successful track record.
Create. Innovate. Play.
Working at Pocket Gems
Pocket Gems is hiring! We were founded by engineers and are dedicated to building a company that attracts the best talent in the world.
What Makes Pocket Gems so Rad?
There are a lot of companies out there, so why choose us? To paraphrase Shakespeare, let us count the ways.
We’re an awesome group of people – Trust us, we’ve done studies. On top of that, our mothers describe us to their friends as “go-getters” who are “really sharp”.
We’ve got serious technical chops and love to tackle tough challenges – Our team includes contributors to major open source projects and experts in machine learning, computer vision, and complex dynamics. If you look up “wicked smart” in the dictionary, you’ll see a picture of us alongside Matt Damon’s character from Good Will Hunting.
Collaborative / fun work environment – We are in gaming after all, not some boring industry! Bowling nights, witty banter, happy hours, and, oh yeah, we do play a video game or two on occasion!
Profitable since launch; well-funded by Sequoia Capital – We have the resources to expand our team and continue to drive the evolution of mobile gaming.
We’ve killed it so far… and we’re just getting started – Tap Zoo and Tap Pet Hotel were the #1 and the #4 TOP GROSSING apps on iPhone for in 2011!!
Pocket Gems is looking for the best generalist developers in the world to join us in revolutionizing the mobile gaming paradigm. No pressure or anything. ;- )
As a mobile engineer for Pocket Gems, you will build games and features with rapid release cycles that have an immediate impact, allowing you to reach tens of millions of users instantly.
We are looking for talented engineers who want to:
- Collaborate closely in small, nimble, cross-functional teams with product managers, artists and designers to define our next generation of games
- Develop and code innovative features using groundbreaking technologies
- Enjoy the freedom of writing native applications while exploring the latest cross-platform technologies
- Participate in all aspects of the project life-cycle, from specifications through release
- Design and implement scalable, reliable and maintainable technologies for our iOS and Android gaming platforms
- Control, manage and analyze big data flows, allowing us to fully leverage our massive data streams
- Work with brilliant, great, fun people!
We also offer some awesome perks and benefits:
- Amazing, open plan office in the heart of San Francisco
- Convenient Caltrain and BART access
- Competitive salaries
- Generous medical, dental and vision plans
- Pimp your computer – Mac, PC, one monitor, two monitor, red monitor, blue monitor. We let you choose your weapon
- … And, an endless supply of double rainbows.
Founded: September 2009
- Titles Released: 15 on the iOS platform – And 7 on the Android platform
- Titles are free-to-play and allow users to personalize their experiences through the purchase of virtual goods
- iOS titles that have hit the top 10 iOS free apps list: 14
- Accolades: #1 and #4 Top Grossing Apps in 2011 (Tap Zoo & Tap Pet Hotel)
- Downloads: 80+ million
- Amount Raised: $5 million from Sequoia Capital and Angel Investors Michael Dearing (Stanford Professor and former eBay executive), Jeff Fluhr (co-founder and former CEO of StubHub), and Omar Hamoui (co-founder and former CEO of AdMob)
- Founders: Daniel Terry and Harlan Crystal
- Board Members: Daniel Terry (CEO), Harlan Crystal (CTO), and Jim Goetz (Sequoia Capital)
- Case Sutdies: Google App Engine, Twitter
Pocket Gems Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time (more than an year)Pros
work-life balance, great team members to work with, everyone in the company has a mutual understanding of each other and is respectful of one another. Work hard play hard environment.Cons
Raises don't come too often but it's offset by great benefits, food, games, and great happy hours! Could be long hours.RecommendsApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online – interviewed at Pocket Gems.Interview Details
First phone interview was not like the rest on here. No algorithm questions were given, but about 100 lines of code written in a C-based language like Java but not quite. I had to understand code that I had never seen before like what it does it do (answer: if you get 3 of the same colors in a row you get a match point and you win if the score is >= 3) and change the match point algorithm to where you can get points for 4 and 5 colors in a row. The only problem was the interviewer was so poor in trying to communicate what he wanted me to do that I took too long to figure it out. Almost everything I tried he said wouldn't work, which was wrong but the interviewer is king I guess. Thus, I failed. There is really no way to prepare for this type of interview.Interview Questions
No OfferDifficult Interview
- Change the code to where you get a match of 5, then it adds 5 points and if you have a match of 4 then it adds 4 points and so on. View Answer
Pocket Gems is building the next generation of wildly engaging mobile games. Our games are free-to-download, making them accessible to everyone, and pack the most fun per square inch on any gaming platform!
Mission: We have 2 missions: Build the world’s best mobile engineering team & Become a global leader in the mobile entertainment industry