We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where you Work
People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that REI is a co-op. Rather than thinking quarter to quarter, we can take the long view and focus on what's best for our members, while conducting business in a way that's socially and environmentally responsible. We're crazy about enjoying the outdoors, and we're just as committed to leaving it in good hands for future generations.
If that sounds like the place where you'd want to work and the kind of people you'd like to work with, please take a closer look at what we have to offer.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- As an Equal Opportunity Employer, REI takes reasonable steps to protect the right of every employee to work in an environment free from intimidation and harassment. REI does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or any other basis protected by law or company policy.
At REI, we inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship – to learn more about our company or its products and services please visit www.rei.com
The opportunity to love where you work.
Opportunities abound at REI. The majority are at our retail locations across the nation, however, we also have rewarding career paths at our Headquarters in Kent, WA as well as in our Contact and Distribution Centers. We invite you to take a closer look at REI and discover why we have been ranked Fortune’s “100 Best Companies to Work For” for 18 years in a row. We have exciting opportunities in the following areas:
- Store Manager
- Sales Manager
- Customer Service Specialist
- Sales Specialist
- Administrative Specialist
- Certified Technician
- Master Technician
- Shipping & Receiving Specialist
- eCommerce / Online
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Product Development
- Public Affairs
- Retail Operations
- Real Estate and Store Development
- Supply Chain / Logistics
- Contact Center Representative
- Seasonal Contact Center Representative
- Equipment Operators
- Warehouse Associate
- Bicycle Assembly Specialists
Outdoor Programs and Outreach
- Adventure Travel Programs
- Adventure Travel Sales Specialists
- Market Outreach Managers
Retail Operations Director
REI is a truly unique and special place to work. I have been fortunate to work in the Retail field as well as HQ based roles. Regardless of the role I have served, I have consistently worked among amazing teams, committed to respect and quality, comprised of dynamic personality and experience, as well as a great commitment and passion for the outdoors. Such a combination of work and play, and support of community is rare in business. For that reason, I never feel like I have to work.
We value our employees!
REI is committed to recognizing and rewarding our employees with a total rewards package that includes competitive pay and comprehensive benefits, generous Pro-Deals and other perks, as well as programs that support good health and work/life balance.
For an overview of REI's Pay and Benefits Programs please visit the ‘For Your Benefit’ site here: http://foryourbenefit-rei.com/
Here is a quick compensation overview…
- Incentive Pay
Retirement and Profit Sharing
- Our Retirement and Profit Sharing Plan is unique in the retail industry
- Health, Life and Disability Plans available to all employees
Living the REI Culture
- At REI, we believe an outdoor life is a life well lived. REI supports outdoor adventures by offering all employees one day off every six months to go outside and play, it’s called the REI Yay Day.
Yay Day gives employees a chance to get inspired by the outdoors, by taking on a new activity or help create access to inspirational places through stewardship and bring that feeling back to the workplace.
Professional Growth & Development
- Tuition Reimbursement – opportunity to get financial support to pursue higher education
- Challenge Grant – determine a personal outdoor challenge and apply for a special grant to achieve your goals
Time Away from Work
- Paid Time Off – PTO includes vacation pay, sick pay, 8 paid holidays and sabbatical pay
- Family and Medical Leaves – leaves for Family and Medical reasons
- Personal Leave of Absence – employees can request up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave in a year
Employee Discount and ProDeals
- 50% discounts on REI Gear and Apparel, free gear rentals for personal use from any REI store and 30% off our vendor merchandise and ProDeal Discounts
- Discounts on trips with our own travel company – REI Adventures offers active trips across the globe as well as close to home.
- Formal opportunities abound for everyone to be acknowledged and rewarded for a job well done
Work/Life Employee Assistance
- Services to help you find balance between work and home
Public Transit Subsidy
- 50% subsidies for bus, trains or other public transit methods
Employee Referral Bonus
- Refer someone to REI and, if they are hired, you can receive a bonus
- To full-time employees who move more than 50 miles to fill a job
- Paid sabbatical after 15 years of service
- Reimbursement to apply toward adoption costs
The list goes on and on…
- Other rewards include: annual holiday gift; employee anniversary celebrations; appreciation awards; team-building staff events, etc.
We're growing and opening new stores in several new markets. Interested in working in a brand new REI store? We encourage you to sign up for our Talent Network by selecting the store location you're interested in below and we'll notify you when we start hiring! If we've already started to accept applications, you'll be taken directly to our jobs site to apply.
REI's values are reflected in everything we do—from our focus on customers to our commitment to environmental stewardship. Our values serve as a foundation for how we conduct business, how we serve members and how we treat each other.
REI's culture, the heart of our work environment, is one that supports our values as well as our business goals. It's one of the primary reasons why people come to work for us. They want to be part of the special place known as REI.
Watch the video on CNNMoney that shows why people really love working at REI: REI Video
Here's a closer look:
- We are true to the outdoors
- We provide trustworthy products and services
- We serve others with expertise and enthusiasm
- We listen and learn from each other
- We live by a code of rock-solid ethics, honesty, and decency
- We encourage each other to enjoy all aspects of life
REI considers diversity in our workforce a vital pursuit for simple but important reasons. By seeking and considering employees from diverse talent pools, we'll benefit from their fresh ideas, new perspectives and innovative approaches.
We believe we will service our customers the best by having a staff that creates the most welcoming environment for our current and future customers. This means having employees who are representative of the customers themselves and who provide excellent, expert service through personal connection.
As the face of America continues to evolve, we are committed to ensuring that our employees are representative of the growing communities of people who share or will share our appreciation for the outdoors.
Director, Diversity & Inclusion
Greater Seattle Area
“Where else could you meet the CEO, climb on a paddleboard for the first time, and dig deep into market data all the in the first month? For me, working at REI and being part of a co-op environment provides me a rare opportunity to work at the intersection between being mission-driven and market-driven and to have fun doing it!”
We are investing substantial time and resources in outreach to local groups that may have not yet connected with outdoor recreation. We're taking inner city kids on mountain bike rides and introducing novice adults to basic camping. We're putting together trail projects and inviting the whole neighborhood. We're providing grants so that specially-abled people can enjoy outdoor recreation through trained guides and customized equipment. By introducing ourselves to new groups, we're paving the way for a future of outdoor recreationists and environmental stewards.
RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at REI full-time (More than a year)
Fun place to work with good people and benefits. If you are hoping to coast by with a job and have a good time while doing it REI will work for you.
If you do want to grow with the company you better pray that the person over you loves you.
Advice to Management
Allow people to have a direct path to growing in their career. As of right now there is no way of someone to know how to get to the next step.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at REI.
The questions were pretty easy. To get this position most people have already been working for REI in some way or another. So you don't go in blind which is nice. Also as long as you work hard and are driven by numbers that are set forth before you its not to hard. If you are reaching your numbers and the management like you it shouldn't be to hard.
- How have you grown the department you are in. Answer Question
What began as a group of 23 mountain climbing buddies is now the nation's largest consumer cooperative. By staying true to our roots, we've earned a place on FORTUNE magazine's list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year since the rankings began in 1998. We work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our core ...
Mission: Our Values: Authenticity = We are true to the outdoors. Quality = We provide trustworthy products and services. Service = We serve others with expertise and enthusiasm. Respect = We listen and learn from each other. Integrity = We live by a code of rock-solid ethics, honesty, and decency. Balance = We encourage each other to enjoy all aspects of life.
Work at REI? Share Your Experiences
- REI update30+ days ago
2014 was a great year!
- REI update30+ days ago
FORTUNE announced that REI is once again on the “100 Best Companies to Work For” list, this year ranking #58. This marks the 18th year in a row REI has appeared on the list!