Maybe you are a prospective employee interviewing at SeraCare, or maybe you’re a current SeraCare team member checking out Glassdoor. Either way, you’re looking to learn more about who we are, what we believe, and most importantly, what we are doing. I’m incredibly proud of the SeraCare team and amazed at our ability to balance immediate business needs with the longer term view—all while continually innovating to help our customers succeed. Following describes some of the ideas, activities and developments that I think fundamentally define SeraCare as a company and an employer.
10 exciting things SeraCare is doing
- We are a science company – Our core business revolves around the disciplines of molecular biology and genetics, cell biology, immunology and biochemistry. Over 10% of our staff earned PhDs; our field sales all have strong scientific backgrounds; and most executives are formally trained in science. Our employees, even those without a conventional science background, come to appreciate the life sciences and the power of the scientific process.
- We think and act globally – It’s stated in our core purpose: advancing a global understanding of disease. We work with a wide range of stakeholders in North, Central and South America, Europe, Asia and Africa. Our work with diagnostic laboratories, academic partners, ministries of health, donors and customers throughout the world help us address global diseases like dengue fever, malaria, chagas, HIV, genetic disorders and cancer.
- We are redefining diseases – Not long ago, diseases were defined solely by how they made you look and feel. The work we, and many others, are doing is rapidly shifting this understanding down to the molecular level: how cells, genes and proteins influence (or are sometimes influenced by) different diseases. This redefinition of disease helps improve diagnostic specificity and accuracy, advances that ultimately ensure targeted therapies and improve outcomes.
- We promote healthy living– As a company that focuses on healthcare and disease, we don’t forget our own employees. We live the ‘work hard/play hard’ philosophy and encourage active and healthful lifestyles. From company-sponsored Fitbits, to walking competitions, stand-up desks, routine on-site health screening and ‘fresh fruit Wednesdays’, we want to integrate healthy habits into our daily workdays.
- We embrace change and love learning – Working at SeraCare means always being ready for new challenges and having direct, hands-on involvement with changes in our industry and organization. We’re continually refining how we do business, so adapting and learning are key skills here. We encourage both teaching and learning with lunch seminars presented by employees, lectures delivered by prominent outside experts, and routine training sessions throughout the year.
- We empower our teams – We believe that the most successful organizations decentralize authority and decision-making. We share information and rewards to foster an environment of equally shared responsibility. We encourage open and honest communication throughout the company and rely on our teams to make decisions, solve problems, take initiative and hold each other accountable.
- We celebrate our successes – Achieving results and delivering on our promises motivates us everyday. There is no doubt we hold ourselves to high standards: we know when we’ve done well and admit when we could have done better. But we always take time to recognize individual, team and organizational wins. Impromptu lunch gatherings, spot bonuses, project mementos, and formal recognition are routine reminders of good decisions, great teamwork, living our values, or just a job well done.
- We like data – “Data beats a smart guy with an opinion” – or so the saying goes. We live this maxim by striving to discern the facts before applying our teams’ judgment and wisdom. Understanding our customers and their processes helps us design better products and services, just as surveying our team members helps us develop and implement better organizational practices.
- We enable precision medicine – Our products are used throughout the world to develop, validate and control critical laboratory diagnostics. Precision medicine is all about matching an individual to the specific best available treatment. Molecular and other advanced diagnostics are used to establish that match and SeraCare products are integral to the performance and accuracy of those diagnostic techniques.
- We think beyond our own walls –Our impact on the world is what motivates the team at SeraCare and we see our role in patient diagnostics as unique, important and timely. To extend our impact, we’ve launched initiatives like our ‘Nets for Kids’ campaign to help minimize insect-borne infectious disease in developing countries. We’re always looking for new ways to use our expertise to help individual patients and vulnerable populations alike.
This is just a sampling of who we are and the work we do at SeraCare. I hope this summary provides some insight into our company and helps answer the questions you had when coming to this site. If you think that you might be a good fit for SeraCare, check out our open positions section to see if we have an opportunity for you. If you are a current employee, I encourage you to leave feedback on the site so we can better understand and meet the needs of our team members. As I said above: we love data!
Charlie Mamrak, CEO SeraCare Life Sciences
For over 30 years, SeraCare has provided quality products and services to global IVD companies and leading healthcare institutions. From our diagnostic controls and reagents to our custom manufactured products, we are committed to producing first-in-class products that exceed our customers’ needs and expectations. SeraCare partners with diagnostics researchers, IVD manufacturers, and clinical laboratories to shape the future of precision diagnostics. Our robust portfolio includes ACCURUN® quality controls, research panels, KPL™ antibodies and immunoassay reagents, SeraCon™ processed plasma, specialty human blood products, and characterized disease state materials. SeraCare helps bridge the gap between today’s diagnostic solutions and tomorrow’s emerging technologies for molecular diagnostics, next-generation sequencing and companion diagnostics. We provide high quality solutions that support diagnostic products from concept to clinic.
We understand that our biggest strengths are our people and our core values: Curiosity, Adaptability, Relationships, and Commitment. At SeraCare, we are on a mission to help improve the quality of life by advancing a global understanding of disease. Our mission and our core values go into every opportunity we pursue, every solution we create, and every investment we make.
Comprised of roughly 200 employees, SeraCare Life Sciences is small enough to allow for many areas of career growth and big enough to make those opportunities meaningful in the medical diagnostics industry. A close-knit culture creates interaction between employees across all levels of the organization. Executives, managers, mid-level and entry-level employees collaborate in department discussions, stand-up meetings, and strategize solutions as one team. The small feel of the company also allows for strong professional networking across departments.
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Life and Other Insurance
- Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Optional Employee Life and Dependent Life
- Group Travel Accident Insurance
- Workers Compensation Insurance
- Competitive base compensation
- Competitive commission plans for eligible employees
- 401K match
- Bonus Program or Profit Sharing
- Personal / Sick days
- Leave of Absence
- Family Medical Leave Act
Work Life Balance
- Flexible scheduling
- Part time positions – those working over 30 hours eligible for full benefits package
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
I have been working at SeraCare Life Sciences full-timeRecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEORecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
I've been with the company for over 1 year. At my previous company that was much bigger than SeraCare, I never really had any contact with senior management. Here, I attend meetings with senior managers, get to contribute, and I think I am recognized as someone who is well prepared and has an opportunity to build my career. I understand the direction and strategies of the company, as the message is consistent and discussed on a regular basis. I also like the set of values that SeraCare established. I hear my fellow workers discussing them on a regular basis.
I think the exposure at a company this size is great for me because I want to build my career. For others, they may think it's a negative. At least that's what I hear occasionally. Some of these employees have left for whatever reason. It seems to me it's usually the people who are not doing well or uncomfortable with the exposure.
Advice to Management
Continue providing the direction and reviewing it regularly with all of us. I think it provides great direction and I know others feel the same way. Thanks for the opportunity to build my career.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week – interviewed at SeraCare Life Sciences.
I was contacted from a referral. Two days later I met with 3 different manufacturing people. Two days after that, I had another interview and then I was hired. The entire process took about 10 days.Skills and work related
- Most important part of manufacturing 1 Answer
Let us know if we're missing any workplace or industry recognition –