Square began with a simple idea: everyone should be able to accept credit cards. We've been rethinking buying and selling ever since. From a revolutionary card reader to a full point of sale with tools for every part of running a business, we’re helping local sellers take care of their business and connect with customers everywhere.
Health and Wellness
We offer a variety of health insurance options so you can choose a plan that best meets your lifestyle. You'll have access to a national network of doctors that provides comprehensive coverage when you need it most. While you’re onsite in San Francisco, take advantage of our wellness program to stay balanced and healthy. And come to work hungry—our nutrition programs add a little something special to daily life at Square.
Taking Time Off
At Square, we have an unlimited vacation policy that allows you to get the rest and relaxation you need to refresh. If you’re welcoming a little one, our paid maternal and paternal leave offers four months of leave at full pay.
We offer a competitive equity package to full-time employees to share ownership and achievement in the company. And we provide a healthy dose of financial education on equity and retirement planning so you can manage your money on your terms.
Learning and Development
At Square, you can customize your career trajectory through our development programs. Our orientation program, Square One, will set you up for success in your new job. Our company-wide quarterly Hack Week is an unstructured week to build something you believe should exist in the world. Additionally, each Square has the option to participate in a variety of peer-to-peer learning opportunities, such as watercolor, iOS, and music classes.
Life at Square wouldn’t be the same without movie nights, Square Games, our annual Holiday Party, and Bring Your Kids to Work Day. These are a few ways that we like to celebrate and bond over common interests.
Our team is quickly growing globally. All of our spaces are designed to encourage collaboration and transparency — from an open floor plan and stand-up tables, to glass conference rooms and common areas, like our coffee bar in San Franicsco. Square offices are located in:
- San Francisco (Mid-Market): Tour Square’s Tricked-Out Office
- New York (SoHo): Square to Open East Coast Headquarters in New York
- Atlanta (Midtown): Welcome Atlanta Squares
- Kitchener-Waterloo: Square Opening Office in Kitchener-Waterloo
- Tokyo (Omotesando): Square’s First Overseas Stop: Japan
Our story in the news
The Next Web: Square launches bug bounty program
The Wall Street Journal: Square Lands Payments Deal With Whole Foods
Refinery29: Tour Square’s Trick-Out Office
1 person found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Square part-time (more than an year)Pros
- The engineers here tend to be really good. The senior engineers are the best and brightest I've worked with. The junior ones are also very sharp and have lots of potential.
- Some really interesting technical problems to work on -- lots of fun, challenging, and interesting work.
- In addition to being smart, the people are generally great to get along with.
- Cash compensation is good for this market. Benefits are decent. And equity has a chance to be worth a lot.
- Transparency and meritocracy are strong values (much better than typical corporate culture).
- Great mission, lots of passion for helping small businesses and generally improving commerce.
- Cool office space (SF has amazing space, a shuffleboard table, and a pool table. ATL has a cool space, nice bar, and a ping-pong table.)Cons
- We're not yet great at remote collaboration (video conferencing, etc). This can make it hard, being outside of SF (though things have been constantly improving since I've been here -- it was really bad when I first started).
- Sometimes there are techno-politics to deal with. Engineers are diverse in opinions (which is great!). But there seem to be a lot of ideologists and fewer pragmatists (not great!)
- Roller coaster ride based on press coverage. (It's been more negative press recently I think, which is saddening, especially since so much of it is inaccurate.)RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
1 person found this helpfulInterview Details
I applied online. Performed coding challenge online, which wasn't so difficult and showed competency. Two phone interviews which were more difficult, but still manageable with knowledge of basic data structures. On-site in San Fransisco.Interview Questions
- BFS on input strings Answer Question
Square makes commerce easy for everyone. With simple, affordable tools for everything from accepting credit cards to managing a full point of sale and selling online, Square helps businesses start, run, and grow.
Square Reader, the free credit card reader for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, allows businesses to accept credit cards anywhere, anytime, for one low...
Mission: Make commerce easy.