Storm8, Inc. is the leading developer of social games for iPhone and Android
Founded in 2009, Storm8, Inc. is the leading mobile social gaming network, developer and publisher for iOS and Android. With more than 50 million monthly active users and 600 million total downloads to date, Storm8 is also home to three innovative brands TeamLava, Shark Party and FireMocha. Under these brands, Storm8 has amassed a network of more than 400 million devices worldwide and continues to create engaging mobile social games that span genres – from casual arcade hits Bubble Mania and Jewel Mania, to social casual games like Bakery Story and Dragon Story, to MMORPGs like World War and iMobsters, and social casino games like Slots and Bingo!. Storm8 is headquartered in Redwood City, California. For more information, please visit www.storm8.com.
We want you!
Games and bacon. Everything sound good so far? If so and you're looking to join the most talented and established mobile gaming company around then Storm8 is the place for you! Here you'll have the chance to work with and learn from the most brilliant and dedicated minds in the industry.
Some of the other amazing perks of being a Stormie:
- Competitive Salaries, Bonus Programs, Equity
- 100% paid Medical, Dental and Vision
- Short-term/Long-term disability, Life Insurance and 401k
- Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dineer
- Fruit delivered daily
- Games room galore
- $ to pimp out your desk
- Conveniently located near 2 Caltrains Stations
- Endless supply of snacks, candy and ramen cups
- Company and team outings
- The pride of doing what you love and much more!
For those still not convinced, here’s some simple math:
4 years in the industry + 10 million DAU + 600M downloads = Awesome.
Storm8’s amazing titles span across 200+ million devices worldwide and we are always looking for more talent to help us continue to grow.
At Storm8, we offer an environment where you can laugh, work, learn and play. We welcome you to join and grow with us!
- 4 year old bootstrapped company founded by veteran team of Facebook Alumni
- Leading mobile social gaming company with 40 live games across 5 genres
- Large and growing player footprint – 10 Million Daily Active Users
- 200 employees located in Redwood shores
- Profitable for 16 quarters in a row!
- All our games have been found in the Top 25 most downloaded and Top 25 grossing lists on iOS
- 17 new games launched in 2012
What to expect:
When you enter our office, you’ll notice a group of hard-working individuals who share common goals and interests. At Storm8, how you fit into our culture is just as important as how you fit in professionally. We want to make sure it’s a good fit on both our side and yours. So, just be yourself during the interview. We’re looking for bright, well-rounded and FUN individuals who always strive to be the best and who will contribute to our startup environment.
During our interview process, you’ll meet with a handful of Stormies who will go over technical, cultural, situational and behavioral questions that pertain to the specific role that you’re applying to.
Production Interview Process:
If you’re applying for a production role, we want to hear about your creative background and how you’ve contributed to this industry. We want to hear about games you’ve worked on, levels you’ve designed, and features you’ve developed. If you’re an Artist, don’t forget to bring that portfolio you’ve worked so hard on. Product Managers are more analytically focused, but we still want to hear about the features you’ve created and how you came about creating them. If you’re a Game Designer, tell us what games you’ve designed and where you find your inspiration. Producers are our Project Managers, so tell us about recent projects you’ve completed and how much you enjoy working with other teams.
Our process is efficient and consists of a phone screen with one of our leads and an onsite with the team.So be prepared to make that first impression count! Remember that we’re all gamers at heart so while we want to hear about your skill set, we also want to hear how you plan to be a proactive member of our gaming process.
Engineering Interview Process:
If you are interviewing for a software engineer position be prepared to solve challenging algorithm and coding problems. Here at Storm8 our philosophy is that a smart engineer with a strong foundation in computer science will be able to pick up new technologies quickly and solve complex problems efficiently. We can equip you with the right tools and skills to be a successful engineer here, but we look for people that already possess the core fundamentals (decomposition, object-oriented design, etc.).
Our interview process consists of an online tech screen with one of our engineers, followed up with an onsite interview. There are two primary things that we look for throughout our software engineering interview process: 1) we look to see whether or not you can find the optimal solution to the problems we present you, and 2) we see whether or not you can write efficient code. We don’t test on any specific programming languages, so pick a language that you’re most comfortable/confident with, or devise your own pseudo-code. As long as your code is clean, maintainable, and simply works, then we’re happy campers!
How to prepare:
Research, research, research! Which, at Storm8, equates to playing our games! Our employees play and test our games, and we expect our candidates to know and understand our products as well. Whether you’re on the iOS or Android platform, take a look at our games and know them well.
It also won’t hurt to know a bit about Storm8 as a company, like where we started, how we’ve grown, what we’ve accomplished, and how we stack up to the competition. Lastly, learn about Storm8’s culture, and see if you’ll mesh well with it! To get a sense of our company culture, check out some of these links to past blog posts:
To view/download our games, click the links below:
What to wear:
We have a very casual environment here, so keep that suit in the closet. Showing up in business casual attire works for us! Not rain nor snow nor dark of night will keep us away from our work, so no matter what the weather is outside you’ll find Stormies working hard in shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, jeans and sweaters.
That’s all! Thanks for reading! Once you’re prepared, the hard part is over; just come in and wow us with your dazzling skills!
Here at Storm8 we’re looking for the best and the brightest! Our Generalist Software Engineers have the ability work on the Full-Stack here at Storm8 and code based on a few simple ideologies:
- Ship early, ship often.We have extremely short ship cycles, anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months, because we want to start collecting data, forum feedback, and begin the iteration feedback loop as early as possible.
- Don't over-engineer. We prefer simple and practical solutions to our problems, rather than building layers upon layers of unnecessary and confusing abstractions.
- Chaos over bureaucracy. In a perfect world, you could plan exactly what you want to ship, execute the plan, and then ship it. Most companies work this way, and actually pride themselves in instituting process where it is extremely difficult to change the plan without going through an incredible number of checks and balances. For us, it is more important that we do the right thing, than the wrong thing on time. So you will see schedules change, people get moved around, projects change in mid-stride, but these things all happen for very good reasons.
- Do It Better Than Everyone Else. We do it better. We make it better! We always push to improve our technology and push the envelope of what a social or casual game really can be. If the game you're working on is not best in class, make it best in class. Be proud of it. Change the world!
1 person found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Storm8 full-timePros
- We have an extremely high hiring bar, which has produced an amazing and talented group of employees.
- Everyone is super passionate about the company and what they are working on.
- The perks are phenomenal - including snack walls, game rooms, catered lunch and dinner, awesome parties and group activities, 100% company-paid medical benefits, and the list goes on!
- The leadership team is extremely approachable and open to new ideas
- The company sold me when I found out I can bring my dog to work - score! :)Cons
- The leadership team can continue to work on becoming more transparent with sharing company goals and upcoming projects with the whole company.
- The work hours can be long during tight deadlines.Advice to ManagementAdvice
- Continue to make the happiness and wellness of your employees your top priority.
- Solicit and listen to feedback, and implement changes were applicable.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Storm8 in July 2014.Interview Details
At least I think it was for that role? I was recommended by a friend but still had to introduce myself to HR who claimed to have lost the recommendation in the process. I was told to have a phone interview for the desired position and answered all questions over the phone correctly. Then I was brought in to interview 1 on 1 with the team and found several surprises. First they complained about not having enough time and blamed HR. Strike one. Then they started interrupting me and drilling on various hypotheticals about economy tuning, mentioning my economy designer "aspirations". Strike Two. Finally they gave me a surprise test on the spot asking me to perform what amounted to a whole project of work. The test was fragmented and poorly composed. Any questions for more detail was taken as hesitation or lack of understanding. Strike three.
Topping it off was HR telling me I'd hear back and then hearing nothing. Maybe they were embarrassed they had been interviewing me for the wrong role? I understand Storm8 is looking to grow, but my experience revealed that may be costing them severely in professional terms. To this day I still have no idea what role I was interviewing for.Interview Questions
No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
- "Can you finish this project for me?" Answer Question
Founded in 2009, Storm8, Inc. is the leading mobile social gaming network, developer and publisher for iOS and Android. With more than 50 million monthly active users and 600 million total downloads to date, Storm8 is also home to three innovative brands TeamLava, Shark Party and FireMocha. Under these brands, Storm8 has amassed a network of more than 400 million devices worldwide and continues to create engaging mobile social games that span genres – from casual arcade hits Bubble Mania and Jewel Mania, to social casual games like Bakery Story and Dragon Story, to MMORPGs...