In 1972, the first Sur La Table opened its doors in Seattle's Pike Place Market. Everyone from novice home cooks to professional chefs found a surprising selection of culinary tools from around the world—with plenty of help from an enthusiastic, knowledgeable staff who loved cooking, too.
We’ve now grown to more than 100 stores across the country. Both our website and catalog are viewed by millions of people each year, and our cooking class program is the largest avocational cooking school in the US.
Still, some things haven't changed: we are the premier place to find an unsurpassed selection of innovative goods for the kitchen and table, and we're just as passionate about cooking and entertaining—and just as eager to inspire discovery—as we ever were.
At Sur La Table, we're passionate about food, cooking and entertaining. And we're always looking for others who feel the same way.
There's so much to discover for those who join our team:
- A lively, rewarding work environment
- Unique products from around the world for the kitchen, table and home
- A generous merchandise discount
- Enthusiastic coworkers who share your passion for cooking and entertaining
Regardless of the job title or responsibilities, we're all here to inspire discovery by helping our customers do more in the kitchen and do it better.
It's an exciting time at Sur La Table. Discover where your passion for food and cooking can take you.
In 1972, Shirley Collins opened the first Sur La Table in Seattle's Pike Place Market.
Since then, we've grown and had plenty of fun along the way:
• In 1974, we gave the brand new Cuisinart food processor its West Coast debut
• We opened our second store in Berkeley, California, in 1995
• Our cooking class program kicked off with a sizzle in 1996
• Food & Wine magazine named us one of the best shops in America in 2005
• We published our first book, Things Cooks Love, in 2008
• We had a good laugh being spoofed on an episode of "South Park" in 2009
• Our 100th store opened in White Plains, New York, in 2012
At Sur La Table, how we do what we do is equally important as what we do.
Our most successful employees consistently demonstrate the following Core Competencies.
- FOCUS ON THE CUSTOMER: You inspire and delight your customers.
- BE GENUINE: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere.
- MAKE THE RIGHT CALL: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom and decisive action.
- TAKE OWNERSHIP: You are committed and responsible, and you provide solutions.
- ACHIEVE RESULTS: You meet and exceed goals and expectations.
In addition, our managers of people also consistently demostrate the following Leadership Competencies:
- DEVELOP PEOPLE: You never compromise on people.
- FACILITATE SUCCESS: Your team is motivated, engaged and accomplished.
- LEAD THE WAY: You influence positive outcomes.
It’s an exciting time at Sur La Table. We’re currently looking for exceptional people to fill these positions.
Seasonal Cashiers (PT)
Seasonal Sales Associates (PT)
Seasonal Stock Associates (PT)
At Sur La Table employees enjoy:
A generous merchandise discount
Working with enthusiastic teams with a passion for cooking and entertaining
- Flexible Schedules
Regardless of the job title or responsibilities, we’re all here to inspire discovery by helping our customers do more in the kitchen and do it better.
Sur La Table Photos
“A extensive crash course in retail management and sales in which I was fortunate to work very close with role models. ”
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I worked at Sur La Table full-time (more than 5 years)Pros
Amazing store level management in Texas with healthy, refined, and personable sales teams all dedicated to the passion art and soul of cooking... and food.Cons
Corporate-level management shows constant signs of being handicapped by an unrealistic vision of the pros & cons of complete uniformity amongst every store.Advice to ManagementAdvice
Stay realistic and go back to your founding principles that built the company from the ground up to nearly 100 stores. Stop listening to share holders that are only profit driven and are destroying the brand, the employees, and the 'life long customers' who were so dedicated & loyal.RecommendsNeutral Outlook
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 2 days – interviewed at Sur La Table in January 2015.Interview Details
A very interesting process as after the interview, I went back for the actual cooking demonstration the very next day and all went well. I was even allowed, in fact encouraged, to sit in on the class presentations to get a feel for the day-to-day. From there, it has been complete radio silence.
I find this especially curious because scheduling, duties, and salary was discussed in-depth. Why go down that path if you have no further interest?
Not only have they lost a potential Chef, but a customer as well.Interview Questions
No OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
- There were no difficult or uncomfortable questions. Everything was pretty standard. Answer Question
Since its beginnings in Seattle’s Pike Place Market in 1972, Sur La Table has believed that the kitchen is the center of the home. Today, those with a passion for cooking and a love for food can discover a leading selection of global brands in over 100 Sur La Table stores - including more than 50 cooking class locations, online at surlatable.com, through the Sur La Table...
Mission: To inspire discovery by helping our customers do more in the kitchen and do it better.