About Tesoro Corporation
Every day we create a safer and cleaner future as efficient providers of reliable transportation fuel solutions.
Who We Are
For more than 45 years, Tesoro has been serving the fuel transportation needs of the western United States. We are a leading independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products, committed to operating responsibly in the communities we serve. Headquartered in San Antonio, Texas, our operations extend across 18 states.
As crude oil sources, availability and costs shift, particularly in the United States, we aim to adapt to these market conditions in ways that benefit the long-term health of our business. We are expanding through strategic acquisition and organic growth, investing in capital projects and partnerships that will help lead to a successful future.
We are committed to delivering value to all of those invested in our success – the communities where we operate, our employees, our customers, our partners and our shareholders.
Safety & Environment, Respect, Integrity
What We Do
Tesoro safely, efficiently and reliably operates an integrated network of strategic assets that create and sell refined petroleum products, from feedstock acquisition to wholesale, commercial and retail sales outlets.
At our refineries, Tesoro refines crude oil and other feedstocks into transportation fuels, such as conventional and CARB gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel and other petroleum products, including heavy fuel oils, liquefied petroleum gas, petroleum coke, calcined coke and asphalt.
Our marine operations charter U.S.- and foreign-flagged tankers to optimize the transportation of crude oil, other feedstocks and refined products within our refinery system.
Through our retail and marketing operations, Tesoro sells refined petroleum products in 17 states via commercial, wholesale and retail channels. Commercial marketing trades in commercial and military jet fuel and heavy fuel products. Our wholesale program markets gasoline and diesel fuel to independent marketers, commercial end-users and high-volume retailers. Our network of retail stations sells gasoline and diesel fuels and convenience products directly to consumers under the Tesoro®, Shell®, ARCO®, Exxon®, Mobil® and USA Gasoline™ brands.
Tesoro Corporation formed a master limited partnership, Tesoro Logistics LP(NYSE: TLLP), which has a significant presence in gathering, transporting, storing and distributing the crude and other feedstocks we refine. Tesoro Logistics LP assets include:
- Twenty refined products terminals and storage facilities in the western United States,
- Four marine terminals in California,
- A rail-car unloading facility in Washington,
- A petroleum coke handling and storage facility in California,
- The High Plains system that gathers and transports crude oil produced in the Williston Basin, including production from the Bakken Shale formation,
- The Northwest Product Pipeline that runs from Utah to Washington (including a 5-mile segment to the Salt Lake City International Airport), and
- Other pipelines that transport products and crude oil from Tesoro’s refineries to nearby facilities in Utah and California.
- Tesoro is a Spanish word meaning treasure.
- 2014 Fortune 500 ranking: 75
- Tesoro Corporation has more than 7,000 employees.
- Tesoro is one of the largest or the only refiner in three of the five states where our refineries are located: California, North Dakota and Utah.
Tesoro was founded in 1968 as a company primarily engaged in petroleum exploration and production. In 1969, we began operating our first refinery near Kenai, Alaska, which today remains an important part of our expanding operations.
In the late 1990s, Tesoro began a series of refinery, logistics and retail acquisitions that have boosted the company’s capacity output, improved the efficiency of our operations, increased our retail presence and positioned us for future expansion in key growth markets. During this time, we also exited the exploration and production business.
- 1968: Tesoro Corporation founded
- 1969: Began operating first refinery in Kenai, Alaska
- 1998: Acquired Anacortes, Wash. refinery
- 2001: Acquired Salt Lake City, Utah refinery and Mandan, N.D. refinery
- 2002: Acquired Golden Eagle Refinery in Martinez, Calif.
- 2007: Acquired Los Angeles Refinery – Wilmington operations in Wilmington, Calif. as well as USA Gasoline™ brand and 138 retail sites
- 2007-2010: Acquired 300 existing Shell®-branded wholesale supply contracts, expanding operations to a total of 650 Shell®-branded sites
- 2010: Formed Tesoro Logistics LP, a master limited partnership that owns, operates, develops, and acquires logistics assets to gather crude oil and distribute, transport and store crude oil and refined products
- 2013: Expanded Los Angeles Refinery with acquisition of Carson, Calif. operations. Acquired ARCO® brand, ampm® master franchisee license and approximately 800 dealer-operated sites. Also, secured rights from ExxonMobil to use the Exxon®and Mobil® brands at retail stations in Northern California, Minnesota, Nevada, Central/Eastern North Dakota, Oregon, Northeastern South Dakota and Western Washington, and assumed ownership of branded-wholesale supply contracts for 54 Exxon- or Mobil-branded retail stations in Minnesota
Today, Tesoro Corporation, through its subsidiaries, is one of the largest independent petroleum refiners and marketers in the country, with a strategically concentrated presence in the western United States. Moving ahead, we are committed to continuing to meet and exceed the standards of safe, reliable operations, while focusing on improving profitability and increasing shareholder value.
Working at Tesoro
As a fast-growing energy industry leader and Fortune 100 company, we hire exceptional people with the passion to make a difference.
At Tesoro, our employees share an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to excellence that sets us apart from other companies in our industry. Our leaders welcome new ideas, encourage diverse perspectives and foster a collaborative team environment designed to optimize business performance while enhancing individual skills. Our high-performing culture is demonstrated daily by employees, both inside and outside the office.
We know Tesoro’s success is based on attracting and retaining the best talent. Our eligible employees enjoy:
Competitive pay and compensation packages, including Thrift 401(k) Plan matching and a Pension Plan,
Career development and training programs, and
Community service opportunities through our Team Tesoro volunteer program.
We operate six refineries in the western United States with a combined capacity of 850,000 barrels per day.
Powered by the deep engineering expertise of our workforce, these highly advanced facilities refine domestic and foreign crude oils into transportation fuels and other petroleum products that help drive the markets we serve.
At our refineries – and everywhere we do business – the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities is our number one priority and an integral part of our culture. We continually evaluate and invest in technologies and systems to support safe, reliable and clean operations.
Our refineries are supplied by domestic feedstocks from Alaska (Cook Inlet and North Slope), California (San Joaquin Valley and Los Angeles Basin), Colorado, North Dakota, Utah and Wyoming, and from foreign feedstocks that include Canada, South America, West Africa and other foreign crudes.
Petroleum products refined at our facilities include: CARB and conventional gasoline, CARB and conventional diesel fuels, jet fuel, heavy fuel oils, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel gases, asphalt, propane, propylene, petroleum coke and calcined coke.
We transport crude oil via pipeline, truck transport, and rail, in conjunction with Tesoro's Maritime group, to Tesoro's refineries and transport refined products to Tesoro's customers. Logistics ensures these hazardous liquids are transported to their destinations in a safe, legal, and cost effective manner. Specialized aspects of this transportation are handled by staff with expertise in applicable areas such as Operations, Engineering, Environmental, Personnel Safety, Right-of-Way, and Hazardous Material Transportation Safety.
Tesoro Logistics LP owns and operates a network of over 3,500 miles of crude oil, refined products and natural gas pipelines. TLLP also owns and operates 28 crude oil and refined products truck and marine terminals and has over 9 million barrels of storage capacity. In addition, TLLP owns and operates four natural gas processing complexes and one fractionation facility.
Interns and Recent Graduates
Tesoro actively seeks students interested in Internships and recent college graduates ready to launch their careers for all areas of our business.
Through our University Relations & Recruiting Program, we hire exceptional individuals from diverse backgrounds with an interest in the energy industry, whose personal values align with contributing to a high-performing culture. Tesoro recruits students and recent graduates who are passionate about their work, demonstrate organizational and problem-solving skills, have strong verbal and written communication skills and can adapt well to change.
Tesoro’s interns expand their knowledge and gain a stronger understanding of business practices and their major through:
- Experiential learning
- Personal and professional development
- Corporate culture engagement
- Must be enrolled in a 4-year college or university
- 3.0 minimum GPA strongly preferred
- Competitive pay
- Company paid holidays
- Thrift 401(k) Plan eligibility
- Wellness programs (excluding benefit incentives)
Tesoro Corporation Photos
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Tesoro Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)Pros
Great Facilities, benefits and cultureCons
This company is a great place to workRecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 2+ months – interviewed at Tesoro Corporation.Interview Details
Several Interviews - 2 phone and 2 in person interviews with several individuals at each one. I thought I was in the driver's seat to land the position. The final person I met with was very unprofessional, it seemed as if they had already made up their mind before even speaking with me. I was asked to follow them around while they looked for a beverage for 10 minutes and then the interview was cut short because they had to run to a meeting. It seemed as if he wanted to hire someone else all along, only wasting my time.Interview Questions
No OfferNegative Experience
- None really. Typical "how would you handle" questions. Answer Question
Tesoro Corporation is a leading independent refiner and marketer of petroleum products that has been serving the fuel transportation needs of the western United States for more than 45 years. We are committed to safe, clean, reliable operations and creating shared value for the communities where we live and work. Through the dedication of our employees and our integrated network of assets, we are intentionally positioned to capitalize on today’s opportunities and unlock tomorrow’s possibilities. Tesoro is a Fortune 100 company headquartered in San Antonio, Texas