What will you find?
We might be the most interesting technology company you may not have heard of.
650+ people who believe the scientific method is the best way to approach investing.
We’re inspired by fields like artificial intelligence and distributed computing. Since 2001, we’ve searched for ways that these kinds of technologies can make us better at what we do. We live for
research and development.
We focus on making real money for real people by creating investment strategies that actually work. Through our investors, we support the retirements of millions of people globally, fund cutting-edge research, advance education, and champion a broad range of charitable and philanthropic initiatives.
We’re happy to be different. And disciplined. We believe those qualities are the best route to achieving great things. We’re always looking for intellectually curious people who want to learn, invent, create, and see ideas become realities.
We are Two Sigma.
IT’S ALL CONNECTED.
The information presented in this profile is offered for recruiting purposes only and should not be used for any other purpose (including, without limitation, the making of investment decisions).
We are a dynamic and diverse group of scientists, engineers, and business professionals who are accomplished analytical thinkers and passionate problem solvers. Together, we hail from more than 50 countries.
We are proud of individual accomplishments, as well as the collaborative environment we've built, and what we're capable of as a team.
Generous teaching and active learning are woven into our everyday interactions. We encourage each individual to contribute to our collective development by teaching classes, hosting study groups, writing thought pieces for our internal blog, or creating learning paths to advance knowledge sharing.
Our culture of teaching and mentorship includes frequent programs focused on learning and development – from employee-driven Brown Bag lunch talks to our ongoing series of guest speakers. We also offer a wide variety of opportunities for professional growth, including leadership development, technical skills training, and cross-disciplinary working groups focused on strategic initiatives.
Our diverse and multi-talented team includes:
- International Math Olympiad medalists
- The winner of a major Japanese Backgammon Tournament
- A Unix lifetime achievement award recipient
- Owner of a patent for a best execution analysis system
- Member of the original J2EE team and the specification lead for JavaServer Pages (JSP) 2.0
- A developer of the operating system and device drivers for the world's fastest supercomputers of the time
- An author of foundational works in modern machine-learning techniques
- Founder of Hungary's first commercial Internet Service Provider
- An Amateur Billiards Champion
- An award-winning board game designer
- An ordained rabbi
- A Captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve
- Poets, authors, and screenwriters
- Conservatory-trained musicians, singers, and composers
- A professionally-produced musical theatre composer
- A professional guitarist who performed at the Newport Jazz Festival
- The keyboard player for the band Levi K and the Robotics
- The bass player for the hardcore, punk band Lifetime
- A director of a charitable improv comedy performance troupe
- An art conservator specializing in book and paper conservation
- An owner of Morocco's 2012 champion jumping horse of the five-year-old age group
Technology drives our business. We focus on researching and developing cutting-edge platforms and tools to create sophisticated data analysis and trading systems. With the power of thousands of computers, we aim to collect, organize, and analyze the world’s vast data efficiently and effectively.
Our technology includes:
- a flexible domain-specific language and platform specially designed for high-volume time series data processing, transformation, and visualization
- data compression technologies that increase read throughput and decrease storage requirements by orders of magnitude
- privately-run data centers that house petabytes of data and tens of thousands of CPUs
- state-of-the-art networking technology and internally-optimized processors and operating systems, which combine to achieve some of the lowest latencies in our industry
- a custom-built, highly-optimized distributed file system with snapshotting capabilities
- a high-performance streaming time series database
- a distributed task scheduler
- a simulation farm with flexible scheduling
With an agile development process emphasizing frequent releases and a long-term vision, we are obsessed with continuous improvement. We are constantly evaluating each part of our platform to learn, iterate, and advance.
Our space is designed to foster collaboration, research, and discovery. And fun.
We cultivate a culture where all are comfortable, and intellectual curiosity thrives. In our down-to-earth environment, you’ll feel right at home.
We have offices in New York, Houston, London, and Hong Kong. Our New York office is located downtown, in the vibrant neighborhood of SoHo.
Our team has a diverse set of interests, and we believe in pursuing every opportunity to foster collaboration, learning, and growth. We regularly host a range of activities, from large to small, that reflect and amplify our vibrant culture.
Within the office you’ll discover coding challenges, ping pong matches, and chess tournaments. The competition often gets heated, but it’s all in the spirit of personal growth and community building.
We also throw a great party. We invite families to a summer outing that is fun for all, and host a range of employee events from game nights to summer rooftop gatherings to warm holiday celebrations.
Two Sigma Photos
- Featured Review
3 people found this helpful
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (less than a year)Pros
Some of the nicest, smartest people I've ever met. Always learning, always having fun, always doing great work in an environment that is energizing, collaborative and incredibly motivating. Love it! First place I've worked where I feel truly valued, treated like a grownup and supported on all levels.Cons
If you need hand holding, this might not be the place for you. You have great freedom to design your work plan and flexibility to approach your work however works best for you, which I think is fantastic, but might not work for everyone if you need rigid structure and oversight.Advice to ManagementAdvice
Keep up the great work!RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months – interviewed at Two Sigma.Interview Details
I was contacted about this position through a recruiter. The recruiter arranged all of the interviews, though I kept in touch with HR frequently. I first went through a 45 minute phone screen, with most of the questions being on the soft side. I presume that they were saving the technical interview for the on-site, since I spent all day going back and forth between tough technical questions and general behavioural stuff and then came back a second time for some more light technical discussion.Negotiation DetailsThere wasn't much room for negotiation, but I was able to increase my salary by a few thousand dollars.Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
We are passionate about technology, and its tremendous potential to solve the hardest problems. We are drawn to the most difficult challenges. The world of global finance provides fertile ground for exploration, with its immense quantities of information, fast feedback, and unbounded opportunity. Two Sigma has been pushing the frontiers of Big Data before the term became a...
Mission: Our investors see us as a source of real alpha. Our results support the retirements of millions of people globally, fund cutting-edge research, advance education, and...