Careers that deliver the best patient care experience.
At Virginia Mason, we have an extraordinary approach to how we provide care - Team Medicine. Centered on the principle of collaboration, our interdisciplinary approach to medical practice rests upon a foundation of support through mentoring, partnership and communication. Working together to provide Virginia Mason's unique brand of health care, Team Medicine enables us to provide superior health care for every patient we treat and a workplace unlike any other.
Founded nearly a century ago by a group of physicians looking for a new and more comprehensive approach to medical care, the creation of Team Medicine stemmed from a singular goal: to work as one team. That mantra has remained unchanged since 1920. We continue their pledge to provide the finest patient care possible by working together and remaining committed to lifelong learning and research. It is the same spirit that pioneered our many patient-care initiatives that has allowed Virginia Mason to flourish.
A regional referral center for the greater Pacific Northwest, Virginia Mason is a truly extensive health care system designed to meet the growing demands of our region. We combine a 500+-physician primary care and multi-specialty group practice with a satellite system of neighborhood clinics throughout the Puget Sound region. Our Seattle Campus is comprised of a 336-bed hospital, large clinic complex and the Benaroya Research Institute at Virginia Mason, an international leader in immune system and autoimmune disease research. Bailey-Boushay House, a skilled nursing facility, provides adult day health and in-patient services to people living with AIDS and other complex nursing needs.
At Virginia Mason Medical Center, you'll discover your career can make a big impact on the future of health care delivery. Joining our team ensures you'll work within a culture where a rich and vibrant history of community care meets tomorrow's health care technology. And by partnering with talented and committed colleagues, you'll find a career that will challenge you to continuously deliver the best patient care experience available. So, if you are ready for a rewarding career that reshapes the way patients are cared for, make the difference only you can make by joining Virginia Mason.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Within a culture of recognition for your distinct experience, expertise and clinical skills, you'll be challenged to excel within an environment that promotes your ability to make a difference. You'll find colleagues driven to teach and share their knowledge – promoting your professional growth and improving the health and well-being of every patient we serve. Most importantly, you'll be immersed in an extraordinary level of daily commitment that fuels Team Medicine and strengthens our resolve to find the best practices for patient care.
You will be supported by like-minded colleagues as you strive to provide extraordinary patient care because successful Virginia Mason employees embody our values of teamwork, integrity, excellence and service.
Virginia Mason offers staff:
- An Environment of Teamwork - We emphasize collaboration and the power of working together in an integrated team approach, what we call Team Medicine. This has been a cornerstone of Virginia Mason for over 94 years.
- Commitment to excellence - "Good enough" is not in our vocabulary; we're constantly working to make improvements and be even better in all aspects of care delivery for our patients.
- Education and research - Virginia Mason is a learning organization, and research and education are very much part of who we are. This helps us stay on the "cutting edge" and continue to contribute to training the clinicians of the future, while participating in new discoveries and approaches to care.
- Career advancement - Whether you want to expand your skills deeper within your current position or prepare for future advancement, Virginia Mason strives to offer opportunities for growth and development.
- Focus on quality and safety - Year after year, studies by outside organizations like The Leapfrog Group show Virginia Mason as one of the highest-quality health care organizations in the nation while providing the safest environment for our patients.
- Innovation - At Virginia Mason we are always encouraged to find a better way to do our work, and then make it happen! It requires committing resources and building and sustaining a culture of innovation which facilitates better patient care, and helps us attract and retain the best people.
- World-class management method - The Virginia Mason Production System is unique in health care and is a proven system we use eliminate waste and improve patient safety and quality. We are learning every day how to apply it even better to benefit our patients and staff.
- Outstanding team members - All the technology and tools we have at our disposal mean nothing without the right people. We must strive to recruit and retain the very best, then work hard to ensure they feel valued and supported in their work at Virginia Mason.
Virginia Mason offers our staff a combination of competitive pay, rewards, and benefits designed to fit today's diverse workforce. As one of Seattle's best employers, we offer an extensive array of benefits for you to take advantage of: onsite daycare services, subsidized transit passes, sponsored cultural events and other quality of life extras are available exclusively for our staff. While benefit eligibility requirements vary, this is a summary of the Benefits available to staff at Virginia Mason Medical Center:
- Wellness Program
- Academic Assistance Program
- Tax Sheltered Savings Plan (403-B)
- Virginia Mason Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance & AD&D
- Long and Short Term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Subsidized Transit Passes
- Daycare Services
- Employee Discounts to Select Services
Recognized for Quality & Safety.
Safe care is great care. The best medical outcomes come from the safest environments. At Virginia Mason, ensuring the safest possible patient care is our most important goal. This means providing patient care that lives up to our vision of being the Quality Leader; it means patient safety is at the top of our list.
Caring for patients safely is the foundation for living up to Virginia Mason’s vision of becoming the Quality Leader. Our peers have recognized our efforts. Virginia Mason Medical Center has received numerous awards for improving patient safety and quality of care. Below are recent highlights:
- Virginia Mason received the 2014 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ for the fourth year in a row from Healthgrades. Virginia Mason is the only recipient of the award in the Seattle area, and it is one of only 262 recipients nationwide.
- Virginia Mason has been named a 2013 Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group, making this the eighth consecutive year Virginia Mason has earned this national recognition.
- Virginia Mason was rated as one of the safest hospitals in the nation by The Leapfrog Group. For the second time this year, Virginia Mason has received an “A” for patient safety from Leapfrog’s respected Hospital Safety Score program.
- Virginia Mason was one of two hospitals in the nation awarded Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group.
- Virginia Mason received the 2013 Outstanding Patient Experience Award for providing a positive experience for patients during their hospital stay, as measured by Healthgrades.
- Virginia Mason has been named one of the 50 Greenest Hospitals in America for 2013 by Becker’s Hospital Review
- Hospital and Health Networks Magazine named Virginia Mason one of the most wired health systems in the U.S. for the second year in a row. Virginia Mason is the only Seattle hospital to make the list.
Virginia Mason has a variety of career opportunities. Our locations across the greater Puget Sound area include our downtown Seattle hospital, Clinic and Seattle Administration Center; Lynnwood, Federal Way, Bellevue, Kirkland, Issaquah, University Village and Bainbridge Island Medical Centers. We invite you to take a closer look at Virginia Mason and discover why we have been ranked one of the best companies to work for. We have exciting opportunities in the following areas:
- Patient Financial Services
- Clinical Engineering
- Administrative Assistant
Advanced Clinical Providers
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- Physical Medicine & Rehab (PT, OT, SLP)
Bailey Boushay House
- Administrative Support
- Medical Assistants
- Clinic Services Representatives
- Surgery Schedulers
- Administrative Director
- RN (inpatient and outpatient)
- Patient Care Technician
- Nurse Manager
- Assistant Nurse Manager
- Primary Care
- Specialty Care
- Information System
- Human Resources
- Communications and Marketing
- Regional Clinicians
- Virginia Mason Institute
- Central Supply
- Food Service
Virginia Mason Medical Center Photos
I have been working at Virginia Mason Medical Center full-time for less than a yearPros
Controlled environment with good patient careCons
Lots of internal audits and mid level management typesRecommendsPositive OutlookNo opinion of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Mason Medical Center.Interview Details
Casual and nonthreatening, very low-key. I was interviewed by my immediate supervisor onlyi. She was a marvelous person, had wonderful appreciation for our profession and treated me with respect. We talked about many aspects of our chosen career pathway.Interview Questions
Negotiation DetailsNo real negotation was needed, I was offered a fair salary and I took it. I received catch-up raises within 3 months until my pay was very fair, even generous.Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
- None--my superior went to great lengths to make me feel comfortable and treated me with great respect and appreciation for my skills. Answer Question
With numerous awards and distinctions, including our recognition as Top Hospital of the Decade by The Leapfrog Group, Virginia Mason has transformed health care through our innovations in patient safety and our ability to provide patients in our community with easier access to our high-quality care. Consisting of a 336-bed hospital in Seattle, WA, and an extensive network of...
Mission: Our mission is to improve the health and well being of the patients we serve - Healing illness is our first priority and is what gives our people the energy for our...