- Walgreens update2 days ago
Walgreens “An Excellent Example” Of A Major Company Training, Hiring People With Autism. The Chicago Tribune (2/24, 2.42M) reports that during the roundtable, “Walgreens was cited as an excellent example of how a major company collaborating with Have Dreams, created a training facility (located on-site at the Have Dreams agency), that mirrored the physical environment of a Walgreens store. http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vIfRs
- Walgreens update7 days ago
Walgreens Included In Fortune ‘Most Admired’ List. Fortune (2/20, 2.92M) lists Walgreens Boots Alliance as #5 on its list of “The Most Admired Companies” of 2015 in the food and drug store category, the same place it held a year ago. On a list of key attributes, it ranked #2 for “global competitiveness.” http://glassdoor.com/slink.htm?key=vIf08
This is a very exciting time at Walgreens. No longer the local drug store, we have transformed ourselves into community-centric health and daily living stores on an international scale. Through a strategic transaction with Europe’s Alliance Boots, we have created the first global, pharmacy-led health and well-being enterprise.
Today, Walgreens is the neighborhood retailer that makes health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach for everyone on a daily basis. We’re also a trusted wellness provider that supplies customers, patients and payers with everything from acute prescriptions and vaccinations to specialty pharmaceuticals and wellness services. And to our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment.
At Walgreens, we’re motivated to help all people – team members and customers alike. That belief extends beyond our stores and other facilities and into the communities we serve. Each year, we dedicate dollars, time and staff to various outreach programs that revolve around access to health services and providing education. It’s everything from providing free health screenings and using our electronic outdoor store signs for severe weather and missing child alerts, to meeting the critical health needs of people impacted by disasters big and small.
Walgreens has a proud history of innovation, starting in 1901 when Charles R. Walgreen Sr. first opened our doors with a pioneering focus on customer service and an array of product offerings unmatched by any other drugstore. Originally just a 50-foot by 20-foot location, Walgreens quickly became the pharmacy all others were measured by and one of the most respected American corporations.
Walgreens Changing Environment
In 2010, Walgreens opened its first Well Experience format stores in the Chicago suburbs. The Well Experience concept positions our pharmacists at the desk in front of the pharmacy, allowing them to provide more patient counseling, offer clinical services, and answer questions. By making our community pharmacists more accessible, we’re focused on creating better health outcomes while generating cost savings for patients, payers, and the healthcare system.
In 2012, together, Walgreens and Alliance Boots announced that we had entered into a strategic transaction to create the first global pharmacy-led health and well-being enterprise. Today, we’re continually focused on finding better ways to run our business, by developing a more efficient pharmacy system and creating a distribution center that enables people with disabilities to work alongside typically-abled individuals. We’re also seeking new ways to expand the suite of health and wellness services offered under the Walgreens brand. Our company is constantly moving forward.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage: Comprehensive health, dental and vision plans are available to employees for themselves and their dependents. Employees may choose to enroll in one of two Walgreens Consumer Driven Health Plans, which include an account called a Health Reimbursement Account to help pay for our employees’ healthcare needs. Employees can also choose between two dental programs with the Select option including Adult and Child orthodontia. A competitive and national vision program is also available. 2014 benefits will consist of a wide variety of medical, dental and vision options open to employees at the beginning of the new year.
- Prescription Coverage: The Walgreens Prescription Drug Plan is designed to help make the cost of prescription medications more affordable for our Walgreens employees and their families. Employees must be enrolled in a Walgreens medical plan to receive this benefit. Covered prescriptions are available to employees and their dependents for a minimal co-pay or coinsurance.
- Well Informed Wellness Program: Our Well Informed program is designed to reward employees and their spouse/domestic partner who engage in managing their own health. The program includes incentives for participation directly deposited into the Health Reimbursement Account to help offset the deductible in the medical plan and three (3) periods throughout the year where up to $150 per employee and spouse/domestic partner can be earned in Walgreens Wellness card dollars (2014 credits for healthy activities will be presented in three (3) periods to employees via our Balance® Rewards card in similar dollar equivalent amounts). The program also includes a Zero Co-Pay prescription offering, a tobacco cessation program, and free health coaching.
- Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs): The Walgreens Flexible Spending Account allows our employees to pay for certain out-of-pocket medical and dependent care expenses with before-tax dollars. For many people, this can mean more than a 20% tax savings! Employees can save hundreds of dollars a year by using the Flexible Spending Account effectively, depending on eligible expenses.
- LGBT focused benefits: Health coverage for same-sex domestic partners is available and includes an offset to adjust for the taxation of the benefit. Other LGBT focused benefits include transgender care and re-assignment surgery. Our health plans and payroll will be adjusted in 2014 to recognize the recent IRS changes related to the DOMA decision by the Supreme Court. Our plans will recognize marriage licenses from states with open marriage laws regardless of where the employee lives.
- Company Paid Life Insurance: You are eligible for Company-Paid Life Insurance coverage if you are enrolled in a Walgreens health plan. Benefit levels are based on length of service
- Voluntary Accident Insurance: You may purchase Voluntary Personal Accident Insurance for coverage in the event of a covered accidental death or dismemberment.
- Voluntary Life insurance: Group Term Life and Group Universal Life plans are available.
- Paid Disability Leave: If you are unable to work due to a pregnancy or an illness/injury lasting more than seven calendar days, you may be eligible for short-term disability benefits at full or half pay, depending on your length of service.
- Military Leave: Walgreens family of companies extends special benefits to employees in the military reserves who are called to active duty.
- Personal Leave: May be provided at the discretion of the manager.
- Profit-Sharing: Preparing for a financially secure retirement is something we all need to do, regardless of our age. The Walgreens Profit-Sharing Retirement Plan helps employees reach their retirement savings goals.
- Employee Stock Purchase Program: The Walgreens Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) makes it easy and affordable for our employees to own shares of Walgreens. When employees enroll in the ESPP, they receive two types of benefits: the opportunity to purchase shares of Walgreens common stock at a 10% discount off the market price and without any broker’s fees.
- Paid Time Off (PTO): In 2014, team members are eligible for Paid Time Off (PTO). The rate at which you accrue your PTO is based on your years of service, average hours per week, and position.
- Sick Time: For 2013, when you average 30 or more hours per week, you are eligible for six paid sick days after six months of service. Sick time will be part of your PTO plan in 2014.
- Holidays: The Company recognizes six paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- Work & Life Resources: The Work & Life Resources program is an integrated employee assistance and work/life program available to all team members and eligible family members. The goal of this free program is to provide a one-stop resource to help you and your family to manage the demands of your everyday work and personal life.
- Employee Purchase Program: Some of our vendors have set up programs that allow Walgreens employees to purchase products at special pricing.
- Employee Discount: Walgreens employees and their immediate families are entitled to a 15% discount on most purchases at any Walgreens store and 20% on Walgreens and W brand products.
- Job Opportunity Board/Career Connections: The JOB and Career Connection systems allow internal employees to apply for district and corporate level positions. Walgreens employees must be employed for 6 months in their current position before applying for a new position.
At Walgreens, we know that success and being a good corporate citizen go hand-in-hand. It’s a balance that we strive for in everything we do. With that in mind, we have established several priority areas that we believe best align our citizenship activities and resources with our business operations.
Diversity and Inclusion
Walgreens Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award and the Walgreens Diversity Scholarship
Charity of Choice
Walgreens Benefit Fund
For more than 100 years, we’ve worked hard to earn the trust of our customers and our communities. And now, with locations in all 50 states and Puerto Rico, our community outreach efforts help provide access to health services as well as education to our customers on their path to wellness.
In addition to our hands-on efforts, we also show our dedication to providing care by making donations to a wide variety of health care and educational organizations.
At Walgreens, we’re on a mission to help customers get, stay and live well. To do that, we’re making health and happiness more accessible to more people every day.
We’re bringing our pharmacists out from behind the counter so customers can receive the expertise they need to get and stay healthy. Our in-store beauty advisors help shoppers find the perfect shade of lipstick for a little boost of happy. And our online store and apps bring customers instant access to an endless aisle of products and advice.
From our stores to our corporate offices, our more than 240,000 employees work to create positive experiences for our customers. At Walgreens, we look to embrace the following seven core cultural beliefs every day:
Diversity and inclusion are not strangers to Walgreens. For over 110 years, we have dedicated ourselves to becoming “My Walgreens” for everyone in America.
At the core of our success have been our team members. Walgreens values its diverse and inclusive workforce; it is not only the right thing to do, but a business imperative and a competitive advantage as well. Leveraging the diverse thoughts, perspectives, and backgrounds of our employees allows us to continue to provide innovative solutions and products to better serve our customers and patients.
Diversity isn’t about tolerance, but acceptance. It is also not about what you look like, but rather about celebrating our differences and recognizing the unique value that every person brings to the organization. Diversity and inclusion transcends race and gender. They focus on building an environment that engages “ALL” employees and encourages them to deliver their best work. This fully aligns with Walgreens’ key strategy to deliver an outstanding customer experience through enhanced employee engagement.
In an inclusive environment, everyone has something to give and everyone has something to get. It is collective, cohesive and collaborative in nature; a real cornerstone in building a healthy and happy environment.
Business Resource Groups
Walgreens Business Resource Groups (BRGs) are organized by Walgreens employees, based on their shared experiences. Their purpose is to help us gain access to qualified diverse talent, help develop employees and to engage internal and external communities.
Currently, Walgreens has nine BRGs representing the following groups: African-American, Asian, Environment Sustainability, Latinos, LGBT, People with Disabilities, Veterans, Women and Young Professionals.
Walgreens Supports Diversity in Pharmacy Education
Walgreens is committed to promoting diversity within all schools and colleges of pharmacy. Each year, since 2008, Walgreens has donated over a million dollars to this cause – with approximately half going to students in the form of scholarships and the remainder being donated to accredited pharmacy schools in the US and Puerto Rico. With our continued support, we are helping to increase the enrollment of and provide educational assistance to students in underrepresented communities.
- Featured Review
I have been working at Walgreens as an intern (more than a year)Pros
Organized and very stable pharmacyCons
Very Saturated with pharmacist nationwideAdvice to ManagementAdvice
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied online. The process took 5 days – interviewed at Walgreens.Interview Details
we went into a room in the back that was messy and he asked me 6 questions. only took about 15 min he was funny and easy to talk to.Interview Questions
No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
- describe a time where you had to show costumer service or help someone who was struggling. Answer Question
Founded in 1901, Walgreens goal is to be consumers’ first choice for health and daily living across the nation, and a central part of people’s lives and the communities where they live and work. The company provides the most convenient, multi-channel access to goods and services, and pharmacy, health and wellness services while developing a new customer experience.
Mission: Our Vision:
America’s Most Loved Pharmacy-Led Health, Wellbeing and Beauty Enterprise
Champion Everyone’s Right to Be Happy & Healthy