WellStar Health System is a not-for-profit system recognized as a national leader in comprehensive care. Staying ahead of the curve in technology has enabled WellStar to be leaders in both the diagnosis and treatment of an extensive array of health conditions. Serving a population of more than one million residents of NW metropolitan Atlanta, WellStar consistently looks at total patient wellness and works to ensure that all systems support that focus. With industry awards ranging from Integrated Delivery Networks to Working Mother Magazine’s Best Places to Work, WellStar strives to provide the best care possible with Atlanta’s top medical professionals.
Specialists and primary care providers work in a multi-disciplinary environment with more than 12,000 diverse team members throughout our five hospitals and physician offices. By working through a patient-centered model of care, WellStar places enormous value on quality and safety with many accolades to support our work.
WellStar’s senior leadership, Board of Trustees, Authority, Regional and Foundation Boards evaluate our community’s emerging needs to equip our facilities with the best new technology. We know that healthy patients come from healthy neighborhoods, and finding ways to deliver better care in metro Atlanta is a big part of who we are.
Each year, more than 600,000 of our neighbors receive world-class service at a WellStar facility. Whether you need to find a physician online or through our 956-STAR Call Center, we can connect you with the South’s best doctors – right around the corner. And, to uphold our founding intentions of giving back to our community, the WellStar Foundation continues each year to fund initiatives ranging from new buildings to genetic testing services.
People & Community
At WellStar, the dedication of our diverse team is our greatest strength. We share it by consistently placing patients and their families first, and by contributing to our local communities in myriad ways. Each year, our team members donate nearly $700,000 to WellStar Foundation to enhance our facilities, expand programs and provide lifesaving services to those less fortunate in our communities.
A Tradition of Leadership
WellStar has a long, strong tradition of leadership. In many arenas, we were the first: WellStar surgeons performed the world’s first laparoscopic gallbladder removal; we were home to Georgia’s first CyberKnife, and are one of the nation’s top two CyberKnife centers by volume; and, we were one of the first nonacademic centers to repair ruptured aortas without open surgery. The list goes on and on.
WellStar nurtures an innovative vision of leadership, delivering world-class care and making it accessible for all patients and families. We are among the most integrated and financially sound medical institutions. Our not-for-profit organization has consistently earned its place as a national leader in comprehensive care and as an employer of choice by working through a patient-centered model focused on quality and safety.
We Grow Leaders
How have we attained this leadership position? We cultivate leadership at WellStar – that’s what propels us on our quest for the best patient outcomes and the best working environment. We think way outside the box. For example, through an innovative collaboration with General Motors, WellStar has constructed a Simulated Work Environment (SWE), where our employees learn the principles and elements of the GM Lean System.
WellStar leadership careers offer a work environment like no other – one that is ideal for making an impact both on the lives of the patients and families we serve and the more than 13,000 team members. Invest in your future. Join us, and discover opportunities for both individual and shared success.
Did you know WellStar...
- Serves more than 1.4 million area residents
- Employs more than 13,000 people
- Offers the only life-saving level II trauma care in Cobb County
- Serves more emergency room patients than any other health sytem in Georgia
- Connects with more than 200,000 community members at WellStar health fairs, car seat safety checks and other community events each year
- Is recognized as the fifth-most integrated healthcare delivery system in the United States
- As a not-for-profit healthcare system, WellStar reinvests 100% of every surplus revenue dollar into new programs and enhanced services for these initiatives.
- Annually provides more than $230 million in unreimbursed care to the community
WellStar is a Safety & Quality Leader...
- Implemented Safety First WellStar in 2008
- $12 million invested to train 13,000+ team members, 1,800 clinicians and 300+ safety coaches
- More than 30 state and national awards won since 2008
- Heart surgery and cancer programs rank in the top 10% nationally in quality
- First Atlanta health system to implement Xenex disinfection system, 20 times more effective than standard cleaning practices (2012)
- WellStar Paulding Nusing and Rehabilitation Center receives 5-Star rating from Centers for Medicare and Medicaid - top 10% in nation (2013)
- Cobb ICU and Kennestone CCU receive Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence - two of only five hospitals in Georgia (2013)
- Paulding receives AHA Mission: Lifeline® Referring Centers Gold Award for excellence in treating heart attachs; Douglas & Kennestone receive Bronze (2013)
And did you know about our Networks...???
WellStar Cancer Network...
- Home to Georgia's first CyberKnife & one of the nation's top 2 CyberKnife centers by volume
- More than 1,600 patients treated since 2006
- One of the first systems in Georgia to offer a community lung cancer screening program outside of a clinical trial
- Home to 3 da Vinci Surgical Systems; WellStar Kennestone Hospital is one of only 21 destination training centers in the country
- In 2005 opened multidisciplinary STAT Cancer Clinic, compressing diagnosis-to-treatment from 56 to 13 days
- Largest cancer genetics program in Georgia; Patients typically seen within 1-week of referral
- Granted 3-year accredidation with commendation in 2013 by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons, receiving 7 commendations and earning highest possible achievement
WellStar Cardiac Network...
- Ranked nationally in top 10 percent
- 600+ open heart surgeries annually
- Nearly 1,400 heart screenings annually
- In 2000, one of the first non-academic centers to repair ruptured aortas without open surgery
- Open heart surgery and interventional cardiology programs debuted in 2004
- First non-academic facility in GA to perform percutaneous aortic valve replacement surgery in 2013
WellStar Medical Group...
- Originated in 1994 to establish a solid primary care physician base to serve local community
- Currently the largest non-academic medical group in the Southeast
- 632 physicians and advanced practice professionals & 33 medical specialties
- 1.4 million office visits & 133 offices
WellStar Neuroscience Network...
- One of the few health systems in Georgia offering comprehensive care for complex neurologically impaired patients, with hospitals collaborating through teleneurology for best patient outcome
- Neurointerventional program opens in Kennestone in 2013, featuring state-of-the-art angio suite with biplane, enabling treatment fo all types of cerebrovascular diseases
- Certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center with Gold Plus Target Stroke designation
- 23 dedicated neuro ICU/IMCU beds; 24 dedicated neuro acute care beds
- 4 Neurosurgeons, 7 Neurologists, Neuro-intensivist, Neuro-interventionalist, Neuro-radiologist
- Certified as a Primary Stroke Center with Silver Stroke designation
- 30 dedicated neuro beds
- 7 Neurologists, 1 APP
- Certified as a Primary Stroke Center with Silver Stroke designation
WellStar Pediatric Services...
- 16 practice locations in our five-county service area
- 2 Level III state-of-the-art NICUs
- 1st in Georgia to use Prolacta to reduce necrotizing enterocolitis, a serious gastrointestinal bacterial infection, in premature infants
- 62 providers: 47 M.D.s & 15 APPs
- In FY 2013, 198,382 office visits, 63,341 preventive check-ups, 80,924 Emergency Department visits and 87% infant immunization rate (compared to 82.4% state rate and 68.8% national rate)
WellStar Pulmonary Network...
- James Daniel, M.D., opens Cobb Country's first pulmonary medicine practice in 1978
- Nationally recognized pulmonary rehability program at Windy Hill
- WellStar Sleep Medicine is one of the nation's largest American Academy of Sleep Medicine accredited centers
- One of largest non-academic, interventional pulmonology programs in Southeast
- First CyberKnife in GA installed at Kennestonr in 2006
- STAT Cancer Clinic opened in 2005, reducing lung cancer diagnosis-to-treatment from 56 to 13 days
WellStar Surgery Network...
- More than 400 surgeons and anesthesiologists perform more than 43,000 procedures annually
- In 1988 WellStar surgeons performed world's first laparoscopic gallbladder removal
- WellStar has trained 15,000 surgeons in laparoscopic surgery
- One of the first health networks to adopt robotics for precision urologic, gynecologic and cardiac surgery
- Kennestone designated national training epicenter for robotic colorectal surgery
- Cobb is one of 37 hospitals nationwide to achieve meritorious status for surgical outcomes (American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program)
WellStar Women's Services...
- 37 OB/GYNs, 3 OB/GYN hospitalists, 34 APPs, including 26 midwives and 12 OB/GYN practice locations
- Since 2008, more than 70,000 babies delivered
- More than 155,000 OB/GYN visits each year
- One of first systems in GA to successfully eliminate non-medically indicated elective deliveries prior to 39 weeks of pregnancy
- 3 of 54 birthing hospitals in GA and NJ selected to participate in a national postpartum maternal health project (2014: Cobb, Douglas and Kennestone)
Where Else Can You Find So Many Career Choices?
Nowhere but WellStar! We offer a diverse range of state-of-the-art work environments, including hospitals, specialty centers, urgent care centers, medical practices and imaging centers.
WellStar Cobb Hospital:
This 382-bed Austell hospital is the only one in Georgia – and one of only 37 worldwide – to receive meritorious status from the American College of Surgeons for surgical patient outcomes. It’s also home to an inpatient burn unit, operated in collaboration with the Joseph M. Still Burn Center.
WellStar Douglas Hospital:
Our 108-bed hospital in Douglasville received an “A” safety score from The Leapfrog Group in Spring 2013. The hospital recently celebrated the opening of an expanded ICU, new admit/recovery unit, new cafeteria and increased parking.
WellStar Kennestone Hospital:
Kennestone Hospital, with 633 beds, anchors WellStar Kennestone Regional Medical Center. As a regional healthcare leader, it offers leading-edge cancer treatment, a state-of-the-art cardiac program, advanced neurosciences surgery and radiology. And as a Level II Trauma Center, Kennestone is the only such center in northwest Atlanta.
WellStar Paulding Hospital:
The new Paulding Hospital, which opened in April 2014, is a state-of-the-art facility designed to be the safest hospital in the world. The first hospital in Georgia to use a green geothermal system for heating and cooling, the 56-bed facility employs environmental and energy sustainability, LEED-principled elements and evidence-based design.
WellStar Windy Hill Hospital:
This 115-bed hospital is home to the Southeast's largest Sleep Disorders Center and features nationally recognized specialties in long-term acute care, interventional radiology and outpatient rehabilitation.
Our specialty centers include Acworth Health Park, East Cobb Health Park, WellStar Pediatric Center, Tranquility Hospice at Cobb Hospital and Tranquility Hospice at Kennesaw Mountain.
Urgent Care Centers:
Seven urgent care centers are in Acworth, Cooper Lake, on Delk Road, in Kennesaw, Marietta, Shallowford/Sandy Plains Road and Towne Lake.
WellStar Medical Group is the largest non-academic medical group in the Southeast, with more than 630 physicians and advanced practice professionals, more than 130 offices and 33 medical specialties, handling 1.4 million office visits a year. Our providers, specialists and advanced practitioners provide primary, specialty and acute care to the people of Cobb, Paulding, Cherokee, Douglas and Bartow counties.
At WellStar, we don’t just nurture the best nurses to build great careers in a diverse range of specialties and patient-centered practice environments. We take care of our nurses with the same passion they show as they care for others. After all, positive patient outcomes are only possible when professional and personal well-being is supported at every step.
As one of the FORTUNE “100 Best Companies to Work For®” 2014 and the fastest growing healthcare systems in the Southeast, our network of five premier hospitals provides new challenges and learning opportunities every day. It also enables our nurses to create unique career paths to suit every stage of their lives and professional development, with the ability to transfer seamlessly within our integrated system.
With a career as a WellStar nurse, you will be part of a highly collaborative, world-class team of healthcare providers. Our nursing roles are grounded in our 5-Star Professional Practice Model and are supported by a strong Shared Governance Structure to achieve the best patient care outcomes.
WellStar nurses are at the heart of our life-changing workplace. We know the best patient outcomes are only possible when you are supported to grow both professionally and personally. That’s why we continually invest in your well-being – both as a member of our professional WellStar family and as a member of your family.
Clinical Experience: WellStar offers nursing students clinical rotation opportunities through a variety of educational institutions.
- Chattahoochee Technical College
- Emory University
- Georgia Highlands College
- Georgia State University
- Kennesaw State University
- University of North Georgia
- University of West Georgia
- Western Georgia University
Career Advancement: WellStar supports nurses through every phase of their careers in a variety of ways:
- Internships in many specialties
- WellStar’s Pipeline Student Nurse Program
- WellStar RN Residency Program
- Centralized Onboarding Unit
- Specialty Fellowship Curriculum
- Designated Educational Units
- Clinical Advancement Program
- Research and Evidenced-Based Practice Fellowship
- Medical/Nursing Library on site
- Certification Courses on site
A Culture of Caring: WellStar nurses strive to be recognized national leaders in the professional practice of nursing. WellStar nursing careers offer the chance to share an innovative vision for the future of care, promoting: holistic, relationship-based, patient-centered care; quality and innovation; education; evidence-based practice; and nursing research. You will collaborate with a world-class interdisciplinary team, which shares a commitment to patient safety, community and healthcare accessibility.
Nursing Leadership: WellStar’s President is a Nurse – Need We Say More? WellStar is committed to empowering nursing leadership in every aspect of care with shared governance, succession planning, clinical advancement programs and national certification bonuses – plus dedicated directors of Nursing by service line.
Innovation: In addition to ongoing training and advancement opportunities, we also provide state-of-the-art technology, safety programs, electronic health records, computerized order entry and bar coding systems, and much more.
Flexibility: As part of our vision for the future of care, we strongly value work-life balance for our nurses, providing flexibility, job sharing and a variety of schedules.
Nursing Certification Review Courses: Interested in becoming certified in a specific clinical area? Each year, WellStar offers certification review course for Emergency Services, MedSurg and PCCN/CCRN.
OB Fellowship: The OB Fellowship is designed to enhance competency for new RN graduates and RNs without Labor & Delivery experience. The program provides a blended learning opportunity combining monthly didactic sessions, core skills workshops, and advanced patient simulation during the first year. Key components of the AWHONN Perinatal Orientation and Education Program (PEOP) are used as the theoretical framework to accompany the guided clinical experience on the employee’s unit.
Legal Issues in Nursing: In addition to risk management and legal support, WellStar’s Legal Issues in Nursing course provides guidance and answers to important legal questions. Representatives from WellStar risk management and legal share resources are available as well as insight on healthcare law.
Preceptor Course: Because WellStar understands the importance of the new employee orientation experience, we provide training through the preceptor course. This course prepares team members to create an effective work and learning environment for the new nurse. Content includes adult learning principles, communication skills, reality shock, delegation, critical thinking skills and an overview of documentation tools.
Charge Nurse Immersion Course: Charge nurses new to their role are provided training through this course that introduces them to the concepts of delegation, scheduling, bed flow, effective communication, conflict resolution, decision making, roles and responsibilities.
RN Residency Program: The RN Residency program is an investment in the future of nursing practice across the System that requires commitment and dedication from newly graduated RN participants. RN Residents are required to complete all associated projects, prep work and modules as well as participate in all Residency and Fellowship sessions. New Graduate RNs are accepted into the program twice per year in May and October. The RN Residents also complete an evidence-based project with the ultimate goal of implementing changes in bedside care practices that lead to improved patient outcome. The program is broken into two tracks: (1) Associate Degree Nurse (ADN) track, and (2) Bachelor and Masters of Science Degree Nurse track.
©2014 Time Inc. Used under license.
- Comp & Benefits
- Work/Life Balance
- Senior Management
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
I have been working at WellStar Health System full-time (less than a year)Pros
I work with a great management team and seasoned nurses and surgical techs.Cons
Pay is lower than average.Advice to ManagementAdvice
I love my work environment and my co-workers. I feel that base pay and call pay for the operating room are very below market. If I were to leave my position, it would be for better pay to support my family. The health benefits are also exceptionally bad.RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
- Application Details
I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at WellStar Health System.Interview Details
I applied on line. Weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter. We had a phone interview. Two more weeks went by before I was contacted again. They invited me to do a face to face interview.Interview Questions
Accepted OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
- In 3 to 5 years where do you see yourself? Answer Question
At WellStar Health System, we don’t just nurture the best employees to build great careers in a diverse range of specialties and patient-centered practice environments. We commit to take care of our employees with the same passion they care for others. After all, positive patient outcomes are only possible when their professional and personal well-being are supported at every...
Mission: To create and deliver high quality hospital, physician and other healthcare related services that improve the health and well-being of the individuals and communities we...