Whether you are just starting your career, or are a seasoned insurance professional, WS&Co. offers a range of career opportunities in a dynamic environment with the opportunity to become part of a stellar team of professionals.
At WS&Co., our talent strategy isn't just about finding people to fill jobs. It's about finding the right people, giving them the tools they need to succeed, inspiring them and ultimately holding them accountable. This commitment to excellence continues to earn success for our company and our clients, and has established us as the broker of choice in our industry.
"Strong organizations are those which promote diversity, differences of opinion, and the ability to be one's self."– Steve Sawyer, Executive Vice President
We asked our employees to tell us their top 10 WS&Co. benefits, and here's what they said:
1. F-Days - Many of our employees have the option of working a compressed work schedule, with alternate Fridays off.
F-Days give work/life balance for relaxing, doctor appointments or weekend getaways. - Account Manager, Property & Casualt
To have one full day to get things done is just the best in the world. - Account Coordinator, Employee Benefits
2. Medical - We offer competitive medical plans for you and your family, as well as a team of personal health advocates to assist with finding providers and hospitals, resolving claims issues and comparing costs.
I've had great results with the advocacy service with sorting through medical claims issues. Will definitely use it again. - Account Representative, Emerging Business
3. 401k - To assist with financial security through retirement, we offer both Roth and traditional 401k plans with an annual company match to eligible employees.
4. ESOP - We want our employees to see a direct financial impact of all of their hard work, which is why we have an employee stock ownership program, in which WS allocates company stock to each of our eligible employees annually.
The ESOP is a great way for all of us to share in the success of WS&Co. - Account Executive, Construction & Real Estate
5. Dental - We also offer a competitive dental plan, with a large network of providers.
6. EAP - Becuase we understand you have plenty going on outside of work, we offer confidential employee assistance services for personal issues, such as childcare, eldercare, pet-care referrals, and answers to financial and legal questions.
7. Commuter Benefits - To help save on commuting and parking costs, our commuter benefits allow employees to use pre-tax dollars to cover these expenses.
8. Education Reimbursement - We truly value education at WS and encourage our employees to take advantage of our education reimbursement program, which allows for financial reimbursement for various courses and programs.
I've been a huge fan of extension of learning, and the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to directly relate to business (though it helps!) is phenomenal. - Office Services Assistant
9. Profit-Sharing - To recognize our employees' contributions to a profitable year, we make an additional contribution to our employees' 401k plans, on top of the company match.
10. Wellness Program - We want our employees to be healthy and happy. Our wellness program allows employees to understand the status of their health, as well as potential risk factors, through annual biometric health evaluations. Employees also have access to one-on-one health coaching as well as regular webinars and classes.
By creating a wellness initiative, WS&Co. is making an opportunity to not only improve and enhance the health of its employees, but it is also fostering a sense of community throughout the company. - Account Manager, Property & Casualty
Woodruff-Sawyer is built around a core set of values that actively unites our diverse workforce, helps us sustain our exceptional culture, and ensures our reputation as one of the top brokerage and consulting firms in the nation.
Unwavering commitment to do the right thing. At Woodruff-Sawyer, we believe our two most important assets are our people and our reputation, and we carefully steward both. We believe that employees want to work for a company with a stellar reputation, with a leadership team they find to be honest and trustworthy, in an environment of mutual respect and support.
Encouraging individual creativity and growth. We are passionate about what we do, and we enjoy the challenge of solving our clients’ problems – the more complex the better! This takes an entrepreneurial spirit, the desire to continuously grow one's skills/knowledge, and the willingness to take reasonable risks. We focus on understanding our clients’ business, applying the highest technical skills, building trusted advisor relationships, and always acting in the best interest of our client.
Uncompromising character and quality service. We believe in open and honest communication and demonstrate this through our open door policy. We emphasize working together and collaborating to solve problems and meet client needs. We want our people to look forward to coming to work each day.
An environment that improves the lives of our employees and customers. When you have the best people, it’s easy to achieve incredible things. We pride ourselves on our commitment to excellence. We value our employees and celebrate their successes. We provide extensive orientation and initial training, as well as ongoing education geared toward your goals. Not only do we provide many in-house insurance-related courses, we also focus on developing your computer, communication and team-building skills. Regardless of your position or career goals, Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. offers a generous annual educational reimbursement program to all employees.
Freedom to deliver the best results to our community. We are fiercely committed to remaining an independent company. We believe that staying privately held allows us to focus on the long-term needs of our clients (rather than those of outside shareholders or Board members) and enables us to sustain an environment that attracts highly committed, results-oriented individuals.
"Everything about our firm - from the employees we hire to the strategies we implement - is an extension of our values, the most important of which is integrity. Simply put, we are uncompromising in our devotion to being a forthright business partner."- Stan Loar, Vice Chair
At Woodruff-Sawyer, we are dedicated to making a positive impact in our community. Our CARE group (Community-Action-Responsibility-Enhancement) focuses exclusively on collaborating with local non-profit organizations to help create an environment that improves the lives of those around us.
At Woodruff-Sawyer, we know that a critical requirement of any client is the ability to trust that its service providers act with utmost good faith. We have built our reputation for over 90 years on the integrity with which we serve our clients; more than simply a broker or a consultant, we are an honest client advocate, a trusted advisor and a true business partner.
The Woodruff-Sawyer Difference
Privately owned and independent
Our corporate vision is to remain an independent brokerage firm. We feel this gives us the flexibility and control to make decisions that are in the best interest of our clients. We are not driven by quarterly results or special regional initiatives; rather, we are focused on our clients, first and foremost.
Agile and aggressive
Because we are not publicly traded, our staff are empowered to make quick, strategic, and tactical decisions. These decisions are made without bureaucratic delay and, most importantly, on the basis of what is in our client's best interest. Our success depends on our client's ability to compete in their respective markets and to achieve bottom line objectives.
Actively involved, from top to bottom
We have a very senior team dedicated to our clients' programs that will stay involved throughout the relationship and assist when issues arise. This core team assumes full responsibility for client satisfaction and ensuring clients receive the services and resources to meet our commitments. From our executives and Practice leaders to our account executives and account managers, we work diligently and collaboratively to meet these objectives and exceed expectations. We have a culture of teamwork at all levels of the organization.
Delivers better results
We are committed to delivering results that are in clear alignment with our clients' financial and corporate objectives. We have institutionalized a systematic approach to analyzing exposures, negotiating with the markets, and providing options to our clients.
Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. Photos
RecommendsPositive OutlookApproves of CEO
- Work/Life Balance
- Culture & Values
- Career Opportunities
- Comp & Benefits
- Senior Management
A very empowering organization where the leaders lead but allow the good people to do their thing. WS&Co. is a very client and colleague focused. A great culture.
The only one I think of is that our brand has not been established as well as our competitors.
Advice to Management
Stay true to your core beliefs and philosophy and everything will take care of itself.
Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Helpful (1)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. (San Francisco, CA) in July 2015.
Initial email to set up a phone interview with HR representative, which then led to a phone interview with the VP for HR. After passing those two, I was asked to come in and meet the team of who I would potentially be working with along with a technical interview shortly after. From there, I was asked to take an IQ test, personality assessment, and a Microsoft Office skills test. After passing all those, the last step was the contact of my references.
- Interview questions were straightforward and were merely to gauge enthusiasm and interest for the position along with some situational questions. Answer Question
Woodruff-Sawyer & Co. is one of the largest privately held insurance firms and ranked among the top insurance brokers in the nation. Founded in 1918, our success is driven by the integrity of our people and our unwavering commitment to service excellence.