1-800 CONTACTS

Updated November 19, 2014
4.5

1-800 CONTACTS CEO and Director Brian Bethers
Brian Bethers

Pros
  • This is a great place to work because of the wonderful work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not to mention the perks grill on campus, film festivals, summer parties, and a focus on growth (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay isn't the best, but relatively standard for a call center; it's a (in 9 reviews)

• Work/Life balance has been better in some roles than others (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job for college

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS

Pros

Nice company culture, competitive pay.

Cons

Management doesn't always make smart decisions and it shows.

Employee benefits, culture and colleagues are excellent for part time employees.

Current Employee - Inventory Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Inventory Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company offers so much! They are very genuinely concerned about the employee and work hard to instill a sense of team, and health and wellness with regards to work life balance. In my time here, there are monthly team building activites, goal setting and rewards for acheivement, and wonderful employee family activities. The employee perks are great, with a fully snack stocked break room, cafeteria, gym, and great vision discounts.

Cons

In my time here, I have not found any cons. I just wish that I could attain a full time position with this company.

A great place to grow with the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1-800 CONTACTS was a great place to learn and grow with the company. They offer lots of great benefits like an amazing restaurant, gym, film festivals, summer parties, etc., but I always felt the best thing about the company was the people I worked with. After working with the company for a very long time I would count some of my best friends as co-workers. It's also a place that allowed me a lot of opportunity for personal growth and development with managers that saw the potential in me.

Cons

There are only so many open jobs to be promoted into so sometimes good people have to really push themselves to get into that next job. Also if you don't like change you may have a hard time with the company...I enjoyed the change and never got bored there, but some people struggle with an environment that can change rapidly.

Stick with the things that have made you successful: customer focus, employee focus, and a drive to continually improve. ...And make sure all of those really good people who don't quite make the cut for the promotion they want know how much you value them in their current position.

Going down hill

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less Pro's all the time but work life balance was good but it had gone down in recent years. They do through a good party.

Cons

No focus on the employee. Recent changes in benefits and bonus structure resulted in around 20% pay-cut part of this is more expensive insurance but not all of it. They treat there full time professionals like they are call center employees (in some ways even worse) They no longer look for employee input to solve problems it is all done by executive committees. Poor technology choices make career advancement impossible. !-800 no longer uses main stream technology which makes working for them a 'career ending move'

Make it about people again not about policies and procedures.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Software Engineering

I agree that things have changed. All businesses change over time. Changes come because of new ownership or changes in strategy. Change is not bad it provides opportunity for growth and ... More

Excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work- Life Balance is a priority!! They really do Care about you!! Amazing opportunities for advancements! Great Benefits, very flexible schedule, Fun Work Enviroment & very competitive Wages!

Cons

Since they have sold Company things have went down hill!

Sep 26, 2014HR Business Partner

1-800 CONTACTS is very pleased with our new ownership, T.H. Lee. We are working on some exciting new projects, the biggest being our new building which will be completed in July 2015. We understand ... More

1-800 Contacts is a great place to work

Current Employee - Call Center Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Call Center Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, onsite grille, great people, great opportunities to advance and develop as a leader. Film festivals twice a year, a great summer event. They really value their employees and do a lot for them.

Cons

I can't think of any

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company cares for it's employees. They provide yearly opportunities to attend training classes or conferences, have subsidized meals. Management is also very understanding of challenges outside of work.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement outside of a management position. The main body of employees is split between three adjacent buildings which limits interaction between business groups.

Sep 26, 2014HR Business Partner

One of the unintended consequences of having such a positive and rewarding culture that results in very low turnover in our IT Department is that it can result in limited opportunities for ... More

Great Company with Great People

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1-800 Contacts has been a refreshing surpise for me. I came to the call center not expecting to stay very long because well a call center is a call center. It took about a month for me to realize that i had stumbled onto something very special. I found a company that actually cares about their customers. I have seen my peers go the extra mile to take care of their customers and I have been able to do the same. I have a great manager who cares about me both personally and professionally. I have always been coached and know what i need to do to get my performance to the next level.

I have been here for a few years and i have seen friends leave for new opportunities and that is great for them, but i also see many of them come back. 1-800 Contacts has a great environment with a fun team of people. Don't get me wrong, its not a party 24-7, you have a job to do and there are a lot of high caliber people that do outstanding in their personal performance. A few years ago the company had a slogan "work hard, play hard". i feel like that is exactly what you find at 1-800 Contacts. If you are willing to work and like doing it next to some amazingly talented people, you will love 1-800 Contacts

Cons

Because there are so many people that love the company, it can be challenging to get the promotions as quickly as you would like them. The good part about that is that there are lots of great people that i compete with. The hard part is that i have to be more patient than i would like to at times.

Honestly, Keep it up! 1-800 is special place to work and while change can be hard when we go through it we are headed in the right direction.

Amazing Place to Work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Culture, all the Benefits, the Events, the Flexibility, the opportunities to always advance and Develop yourself, and most of all the Great People

Cons

The main feedback I would have is inter department communication, but this has become a lot better as of late

With a company that is still growing and adapting with the times some change is necessary and we have seen a lot as of recent, as long as we continue to focus on our associates being well taken care of and happiness, our customer experience that is the best on earth, and our great leadership and direction we will be juuuust fine ;)

1800 CONTACTS Great Environment

Current Employee - Vice President in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Vice President in Draper, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are fantastic, the perks (gym with trainers, kitchen, ball games, movie events, summer event) are outstanding, compensation is very fair and the focus on the associate and customer are nothing like I've seen before. Best place I've ever work in my career; leaders that listen and give opportunity to those that preform and desire to do more.

Cons

In my 20+ months at 1800 I am yet to find a con.

Keep the passion and drive around the customer and associate.