1-800 CONTACTS

Updated January 26, 2015
4.5

1-800 CONTACTS CEO and Director Brian Bethers
Brian Bethers

Pros
  • This is a great place to work because of the wonderful work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Not to mention the perks grill on campus, film festivals, summer parties, and a focus on growth (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay isn't the best, but relatively standard for a call center; it's a (in 9 reviews)

• Work/Life balance has been better in some roles than others (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok place to work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluffdale, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bluffdale, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS

Pros

Movies, company parties. Supervisors were helpful

Cons

I was able to make around $800 a month in bonus, but it was restructured so I got a $1 pay raise and the highest bonus I could get was $300. Not really fair. There was never an opportunity to advance in the company

Exceptional in many ways, but the company culture isn't what it used to be and agent software tools are mediocre.

Former Employee - Rx Specialist in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Rx Specialist in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits (including tuition reimbursement) and incentive programs. Full benefits available for agents working 30+ hours a week. Exceptional company events. Many opportunities to move up in the company. Fosters innovation from agents. Exceptional customer service values/standards. Good lower-level management. Lots of awesome coworkers.

Cons

Family-feeling environment is giving way to concern for the bottom line. Rx Specialist agents are required to use an array of software applications which are generally poorly designed, poorly integrated, and often dated/buggy. Customer Service and Rx Specialist (aka "Compliance") departments are very siloed, which leads to inconsistent customer service. Lack of a procedural manual creates an unnecessary hurdle for new agents and leads to occasionally inconsistent coaching and evaluation of work.

Restore the company culture. Invest in soundly-constructed software for the benefit of employees and customers.

Amazing company to work for!!!

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS

Pros

Cafeteria
    Summer Party
    Commissions
    Schedule flexibility
    Work at home

Cons

Quality system; bias
    managers feel superior to the employees

One of the best company cultures ever!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is: kind, understanding, willing to work for you, does everything they can to make your work experience exceptional.
    Coworkers are: Friendly, outgoing, and fun to be around.
    Benefits are: top notch, creatively fun, and delicious.

Cons

Sometimes you have to deal with and angry customer and taking call after call can get to be a bit monotonous.

Keep listening to your employees when they express their needs.

Great job for college

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS

Pros

Nice company culture, competitive pay.

Cons

Management doesn't always make smart decisions and it shows.

Going down hill

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Less Pro's all the time but work life balance was good but it had gone down in recent years. They do through a good party.

Cons

No focus on the employee. Recent changes in benefits and bonus structure resulted in around 20% pay-cut part of this is more expensive insurance but not all of it. They treat there full time professionals like they are call center employees (in some ways even worse) They no longer look for employee input to solve problems it is all done by executive committees. Poor technology choices make career advancement impossible. !-800 no longer uses main stream technology which makes working for them a 'career ending move'

Make it about people again not about policies and procedures.

Oct 30, 2014Director of Software Engineering

I agree that things have changed. All businesses change over time. Changes come because of new ownership or changes in strategy. Change is not bad it provides opportunity for growth and ... More

Employee benefits, culture and colleagues are excellent for part time employees.

Current Employee - Inventory Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Inventory Clerk in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company offers so much! They are very genuinely concerned about the employee and work hard to instill a sense of team, and health and wellness with regards to work life balance. In my time here, there are monthly team building activites, goal setting and rewards for acheivement, and wonderful employee family activities. The employee perks are great, with a fully snack stocked break room, cafeteria, gym, and great vision discounts.

Cons

In my time here, I have not found any cons. I just wish that I could attain a full time position with this company.

A great place to grow with the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1-800 CONTACTS was a great place to learn and grow with the company. They offer lots of great benefits like an amazing restaurant, gym, film festivals, summer parties, etc., but I always felt the best thing about the company was the people I worked with. After working with the company for a very long time I would count some of my best friends as co-workers. It's also a place that allowed me a lot of opportunity for personal growth and development with managers that saw the potential in me.

Cons

There are only so many open jobs to be promoted into so sometimes good people have to really push themselves to get into that next job. Also if you don't like change you may have a hard time with the company...I enjoyed the change and never got bored there, but some people struggle with an environment that can change rapidly.

Stick with the things that have made you successful: customer focus, employee focus, and a drive to continually improve. ...And make sure all of those really good people who don't quite make the cut for the promotion they want know how much you value them in their current position.

Excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work- Life Balance is a priority!! They really do Care about you!! Amazing opportunities for advancements! Great Benefits, very flexible schedule, Fun Work Enviroment & very competitive Wages!

Cons

Since they have sold Company things have went down hill!

Sep 26, 2014HR Business Partner

1-800 CONTACTS is very pleased with our new ownership, T.H. Lee. We are working on some exciting new projects, the biggest being our new building which will be completed in July 2015. We understand ... More

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company cares for it's employees. They provide yearly opportunities to attend training classes or conferences, have subsidized meals. Management is also very understanding of challenges outside of work.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement outside of a management position. The main body of employees is split between three adjacent buildings which limits interaction between business groups.

Sep 26, 2014HR Business Partner

One of the unintended consequences of having such a positive and rewarding culture that results in very low turnover in our IT Department is that it can result in limited opportunities for ... More