1-800-GOT-JUNK?

ProsLots of fun.
    Develop interpersonal skills
    Good pay rate

ConsLots of manual labor
    It was really sweaty sometimes and you smell terrible most of the time

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees

Overall decent job

Driver/Navigator (Former Employee)

ProsAdvancement opportunities - to an extent, generally just a few raises
    Semi-flexible hours - part time available and things vary in the slow seasons
    Getting to work outside and job variety keeps things interesting
    Senior team members have their sh*t down - perfect estimates, happy customers, day goes by fast
    Tips - especially on holidays, large jobs, or if you team is just generally awesome

ConsCan end up overbooked during the summer and working overtime - you get paid for it though
    Each franchise is run a little bit differently - some are horrible, some rock, so are so so
    Some managers underbid jobs just to get them, even if they are horrible jobs, then pawn them off on a truck team

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees - we complained that our route manager was claiming he worked hours he hadn't, short with customers, and constantly took credit jobs we had actually done. Would have liked to have stayed but finally had enough - it took me leaving with a letter of resignation for anything to happen to him.

I liked working for the company

Manager (Former Employee) Secaucus, NJ

ProsTons of over time during the holidays.

ConsHad to work outside in the freezing weather.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was treated me well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MAKING MONEY, GETTING CRUMBS

1800 Got Junk Truck Team Member (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsEstablish bonds w/ truck team members, guaranteed to get 10 hrs daily, chances of tip potentially at every job, not confined to a desk/office for hours at a time. Find a lot of stuff to keep and sell

ConsNot knowing what time your day will end. Excessive labor work day to day. Dolly and tools not always provided. Encourages overcharging clients. Too many jobs squeezed into one route to overwork you. We Do Not Donate 9 times out of 10!

Advice to Senior ManagementOvercharging clients will result in losing long time favorites, first time users, as well as potential customers we dont have based on negative word of mouth. Reward your employees based on their overall performance and attitude. Not on jacking up the price.

Working for GOTJUNK was hard work but very good customer service experience.

Route Supervisor (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsCustomer service experience. Understanding of a unique industry. Hard work so the days go by fast. Plenty of hours. Tips.

ConsLow pay. You work Saturdays and Sundays. Difficult customers. Hazardous working conditions on some job sites. Safety is a concern.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your guys enough days off to not get burned out from working too much. The more profit share the guys can earn the harder they will work. If you dont give enough profit share the guys will give discounts to customers to try and get tips since the profit share isn't worth it.

It's hard, dirty work, but there are opportunities for profit sharing and taking home neat items.

Driver/Navigator (Current Employee) Riverside, CA

ProsThere are opportunities for profit sharing, tips, and depending on the franchise owner, you get to keep whatever you want (within reason).

ConsHard, dirty work; you don't get off til the last job is done (never know when that'll be); pay isn't the best

Excellent! Great learning environment. Fun! Amazing small business training...

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat corporate structure plus great small business training! You really learn how to go out and pound the pavement. Strong sales structure and small business structure. Very autonomous management level.. young company with big goals so you really learn how to set big goals for yourself. Proven systems that as long as you follow you will succeed.

ConsThere is a ceiling for earnings if you are the franchise level. You will max out and move on. But it is great for starting out college grads.... Territories are small but focus is the key. Trucks are smaller than some so you are going to landfill often. Recycling can be difficult at times but mandatory.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up franchise opportunities or partnerships with younger management... Have better control systems in the trucks... Allow for more room in pricing model or find a way to complete an express service to lower pricing or less windows. However very good environment and great culture.

Great Job for College Students, But it's not a Career

Truck Driver (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Pros- Good management ( I really liked my franchise owners)
    - Cool Co-workers
    - Every day is different (much more exciting than sitting in front of a computer all day)
    - Get cool stuff off the job ( I find something interesting to take home just about every day)

Cons- Inconsistent Hours (sometimes 10 hour shifts sometimes 3 hours)
    - Deal with nasty hoarders occasionally
    - Wages are low for what you do
    - No opportunities for advancement

Overpriced, unsavory training tactics

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsAs former longtime operations manager, I can not list very many pros. I left after many years and having seen changes that were negative that I could not consciously feel good about myself or this company anymore.

ConsThey way overcharge for their service. They have a guy who travels the country teaching franchises how to overprice while giving the client a smile and some conversation. They call this selling techniques.
    There are a lot of franchises that will turn around a resell your items or take them to a scrapyard for money. After going to regional meetings as well a yearly conference, I know this is widespread throughout the organization.
    My overall experience has enlightened me as to the kind of shiny, happy, environmental company they portray but the actuality is they are a price gouging, song and dance company that hopes it's employees will drink the Kool-Aid w/ no questions asked.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest w/ your clients and let them know the true nature of your business.

I would describe my experience with 1800 got junk a wonderful and exciting one

1800 Got Junk Truck Team Member (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

ProsPay is great lots of work physical work always a good work out

ConsJobs are sometimes on the call (Random) so if your doing something at home and they need you. You will have to give it up and head to work at last moment notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more safety equipment for our truck team, some jobs are just as tuff.

Worked for 1-800-GOT-JUNK?? Contribute to the Community!