1&1 Internet Reviews

Robert Hoffmann

1. Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - US OB SALES in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - US OB SALES in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting environment that is challenging yet rewarding as well. Very relaxed. The people I work with from management to other departments make me feel like I belong to something larger. I get paid well for working hard and I am afforded the opportunity to write my own check. I work in Outbound sales and they provide us with great leads that are needing products. This is the 3 rd industry that I have sold in and I plan on staying put. Great benefits and a nice all around package, No dress code, understanding bosses, and all the coffee you can drink. I have seen a lot of people come and go from my department so its not for everyone. It is absolutely a sales driven environment, You must be a closer and good with adversity.

Cons

I really don't have any negative things to say. I would say that if you are thinking about working in the sales department in particular you should be prepared to learn a lot in a little period and be closing or else you will not do well. They will give you the tools however you need to be a carpenter already if that makes sense. This is not the place for anyone who has never sold. You go through the tamp agency so be honest when they interview you because they will not hesitate to let you go if you cant close. Otherwise they teach you the specifics. The training does get a little old after yo have done it at least 2 times but otherwise no complaints. Oh you cannot bring your spouse to the company parties which is lame.

Advice to Management

N\A

2. Copywriter

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

Good environment, free fruit, spacious desks, fun employees, I liked the work because it was different every day.

Cons

Expanded the copywriting department from 8 people to 30+ in a few months time. Too little work since it was being done 24/7. Copywriters also made phone calls, which wasn't in the job description.

Great free beverages for employees but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time

Pros

the fridge doesn't work all that well most of the time if ya get my drift.

Cons

1&1 is good at only one thing. Probably the only thing a company should be good at. And that is inexplicably, staying in business. Previous recent reviews here have highlighted a lot of problems but for a few things those reviews dance around the real problems There is a culture of favoritism locally. It leads to the promotion of incompetence but it is actually not relevant because the corporate culture is toxic. Everything is run from Germany and they are not the least bit interested in anything but the bottom line. 1&1 Internet is a hidebound, reactive, regressive company instead of a forward looking one. Employees are treated like children. Efforts to help the customer that go outside predefined parameters known as "scope of support" are not rewarded. Not only are they not rewarded or recognized but persistence in such efforts means one eventually just becomes marginalized from opportunity and after that, one is removed. Never before have I had the experience of working around so many joyless and passionless people with regard to their job or facing nothing but frustration on a daily basis. The technology support infrastructure is obsolete and basically punishes the employees and the customers because it is so incredibly rigid and so rampantly inefficient. As a result the majority of incoming phone calls are misrouted and have been for years. The simplest functions to perform to help the customer become monumental undertakings and because of the organizational structure may take days to be completed. This is all exacerbated by the fact that nobody in Chesterbrook can actually make any changes that matter, much less improve anything. A previous review said management is incompetent. Management is not incompetent. Management is impotent and that is by design.

Advice to Management

Waste of time. The Germans would have to start from the bottom up and rebuild the entire company.

good atmosphere not much else

I have been working at 1&1 Internet

Pros

The atmosphere is great for those in the tech field. Its very relaxed and usually easy going. If you can upsell customers you can make a lot of money.

Cons

Its very difficult to find correct information from any one person in the company. Features and prices change often and agents on the phone rarely get informed of changes. Very often new services are added, removed or updated without any technical support agents being told about it. Agents are commonly learning about these changes while the customers are on the phone asking about them. There seems to be a lack of fundamental quality assurance when products are created. Many products have major bugs when they are first released that sometimes take weeks or months to resolve. Its also very difficult to get developers to even look at issues before they become major disruptions.

Advice to Management

Start caring about employee and customer feedback. If you don't the company with fail.

Great Atmosphere, but not too much else...

I have been working at 1&1 Internet

Pros

Great work atmosphere Benefits overall not too bad

Cons

Low Pay Room for advancement Not geared to employees with families

Great Employees, incompetent management

I have been working at 1&1 Internet

Pros

-Flexible Schedules -Good Benefits -Great work environment -Good location -Great

Cons

Management is totally incompetent. Instead of being technical experts and role models, it seems anyone in a position of authority will always "pass the buck" rather than meet any challenge head-on. Do not expect to be recognized for any expertise or going above and beyond your expected duties. Some departments are hopelessly understaffed and rather than fix the problem, it seems the company is intent on in increasing workload, lowering pay and not taking responsibility. Company relies on tools and metrics that report totally inaccurate information on employee performance and business metrics. Rather than fix the problem, management chooses to use this info anyway. Totally outdated and tools and software is used to resolve client issues that directly affect client business, resulting in issues that take days, sometimes weeks to fix. Internal problems are not communicated in any meaningful way and employee input in not valued in any way.

Advice to Management

Low employee morale equals bad performance and lower client satisfaction. Have employee surveys to identify and resolve serious problems that are present.

Culture of Nepotism

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good time off balance. Good co-workers Relaxed work enviroment

Cons

Terrible pay for the field Too many people get somewhere promoted because of who they are friends with. The Germans control everything that goes on there, no incentive to even try implementing something if you are in another office. No true ability to develop without constantly switching departments

Advice to Management

Even if I did have advice, the Germans wouldn't allow it.

Not a bad place to work but they could improve on a lot of little things!

Former Employee - Head of Data Center Service U S in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Head of Data Center Service U S in Lenexa, KS

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, very simple dress code as in what you want as long as it does not offend, flexible with your work schedule they understand if something comes up and you have to go as long as you make it up later.

Cons

The company is German based and when dealing with certain issues you have a 7 hour gap in communication due to time difference. There is no room for advancement at their data center They are always changing their policies then expect you just to know they changed US head quarters is located in PA, their data center is in Ks so dealing with HR issues can be troublesome

Advice to Management

Work more on cross department training, allowing techs from one department to begin learning new things. Be more engaging with your workers instead of only talking every day with the same ones Don't blow off others ideas and concerns just because you think yours are the right ones.

DIY representative

Former Employee - DIY Representative in Chesterbrook, PA
    Former Employee - DIY Representative in Chesterbrook, PA

I worked at 1&1 Internet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked night shift from 12am-8am so I received 2$ extra to my base pay. Because of my hours I would sleep when the call volume was low.

Cons

Absolutely no room to move up in this company. The entire job was putting up angry British customers. Some managers treat you like garbage. The people that use the DIY service are completely technologically oblivious. Prepare to talk to some weird characters.

Advice to Management

Leadership in this company is discouraging. We were practically taught to get the customer off the phone as soon as possible. How many calls you took a day was more important to management than making customers happy.

11. Very happy at 1&1

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at 1&1 Internet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone is so nice, including management. The benefits are very good, especially paid time off. 1&1 gives its employees more holidays than any other company that I've worked for.

Cons

The US company reports in to the German headquarters, and there isn't one person in charge in the US. In the past there had been a General Manager in the US.

Advice to Management

Consider bringing back the GM position in the US.

RSS Feed </> Embed