1105 Media

Add Photos

1105 Media President and CEO Neal Vitale

Neal Vitale

Coordinator

ProsGreat Company! Great working environment.

ConsNo Cons!!!!! I enjoy this company very much

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the hard work and positive attitudes

Best work-life balance ever!

ProsIf you have the right manager, you can thrive here. The PTO, flexibility and opportunity to learn is pretty impressionable.

ConsThe money is not super, but it's not horrible either. I'd sacrifice a stellar work-life balance for a few dollars any day. The health benefit costs are frighteningly, high. And there seems to be some chaos among upper management, but if you steer clear and do your job, you're good.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent, be fare. And no matter the setbacks, you are winning with your PTO and telework benefits.

Please board get a CEO that cares about people!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsGood place to learn and then take that experience and leave for a better lead company.

ConsNo innovation, no products that any one wants, executive team that is lead by a dictator who throws his Harvard MBA around. Exec staff is yes men that don't care at all about culture or building a winning team. The positive reviews here are probably the CEO and his cronies.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut out products people want, move into the 21st century. Replace the exec team w people that have passion, and know how to lead.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Another year. Another bad review.

ProsI reviewed 1105 Media one year ago. This is an update.

- PTO is still good, but management attempted to screw everyone over on PTO last year by suspending it from October through December in exchange for an extra week off at Christmas. They also attempted to steal earned PTO back from employees, but there were enough complaints about it that they gave it back. There was still a huge outcry and lots of angry people. We're all hoping they don't do it again this year.
    - Mostly good people (except management)

Cons- Management is a good ol boys club. They're only concerned about themselves and will throw others under the bus.
    - This place really, really, really needs a complete overhaul. Give yearly COL raises! Give bonuses! That would go a very long way to retaining your people.
    - Good workers are still under-recognized and leave constantly.
    - The constant restructuring of the business units (the large ones that are supposedly profitable) is sad. A successful company doesn't need to restructure a couple times each year. How does taking a bad manager and making them the manager of more business units make good sense? Fire all the management and bring in new blood.
    - Bottom line: It's a good place to get your feet wet in the B2B marketing world, but this company is not sustainable. Get in, get experience, put it on your resume, and get out as quickly as you can.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're really worried about your own hides, start caring about your employees. They're the ones who actually make this company work.

The Corporate Hunger Games

Manager (Former Employee) Vienna, VA

Pros"Hit the ground running" is used to the extreme here. You'll learn a lot quickly since there is minimal training. I personally became more tech savvy from working here.

ConsPoor, expensive benefits, lack of camaraderie, unclear upper management, massive layoffs, no growth opportunities, large workload - there are so many negatives associated with this company, I could be here for hours discussing them. The employees claiming this is a nice place to work were probably asked to do so by HR and haven't yet had any bad experiences. Being in a daily work environment where you see colleagues (with families to support) constantly being laid off is not only terrifying, but not conducive to progress and productivity. The workloads left behind by these employees are always placed on whomever they deem can take this on, regardless of their experience level. Upper management is constantly asking staff members to sell/market products that no one wants. When they realize these events/products are unprofitable, instead of cutting costs, they cut their people. It's literally survival of the fittest for the most part - anyone with a larger salary (i.e. directors, managers, VPs) are in the most danger. I've literally seen managers who have been laid off immediately replaced with entry level coordinators within just a few weeks. Due to the high turnover and absolutely no raises or decent benefits, this company is unable to retain talent. I was lucky to have left on my own will. I do not see this company surviving the next few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating products that no one is interested in, be upfront with your staff, create growth opportunities, give an annual cost of living raise and do a complete overhaul on company culture.

This company couldn't care less about it's employees. Please stay away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice people that work within the company
    Their PTO is incredible
    Depending on your manager, you can have a very flexible work schedule
    Flexibility on telecommuting

ConsThe CEO has little to no regard for his employees
    Because the CEO could care less about the employees, there is no culture or values
    Good luck getting a raise, this company is cheap
    No recognition of good work
    Little opportunities for growth
    Upper management (very high up) often think they are entitled
    Some managers are lazy and disconnected
    This company is going downhill... fast
    Layoffs occur often, pay cuts are known to happen as well

I want to really stress the lack of pay increases this company offers. They will hire you at the lowest rate possible, promise you the opportunity for a raise and when the time comes they will ignore it. I know of employees that have been here for 5+ years and never received a single raise. Other employees were promised a raise by a certain date and months later were still asking about it. If the CEO doesn't want it to happen then it will never happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for your direct reports, if they are doing a good job you need to pull for their raise. Putting it on the back-burner only makes it worse. This is why you lose good people. Invest in your employees and they will invest in you.

A decent place to start out, but little growth opportunities and recognition for performing well

ProsLearn the ins and outs of event marketing
    Work in a small team-like environment
    Organizationally flat (most likely you will have one direct report, that's it)
    Independence to make your own qualified decisions without having to run it by and entire management team
    Flexible working schedule

ConsArchaic, counter-intuitive marketing processes/procedures stifle business productivity and make it hard/stressful for marketers to do their job
    Most of the marketing staff are on pay freezes with the occasional "bonus"
    Workload is unreasonable and leaves a large gap for error
    Layoffs and restructuring have decreased employee morale and made current work force question the transparency/aptitude of upper management to lead and make informed decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a company that prides itself on providing innovative technology-focused events and education,the overall business processes and procedures need to be completely revamped. Specifically relating to email marketing.
    If you plan on retaining top talent you need to provide better compensation with the ability to earn overtime. Also, reward employees for their work.

Forgets that Staff is a Valuable Commodity

ProsAbility to telecommute as needed in most cases. Casual dress.

ConsReview/pay increases are virtually non-existent. Morale of many is low. Staff overworked w/little gratitude. Some executive decisions poorly implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to think beyond the bottom line to consider that you have an invaluable resource of knowledge in the employees that work for you. The happier you can keep your staff, the less cost you spend in turnover and new staff training needs. I have not met many co-workers who shirk their duties or provide less than a 100% effort here, but none of these people are recognized, much less feel that they are appreciated or valued.

Great internal staff, poor corporate management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are delightful to work with (for the most part). Great work life balance.

ConsLay offs and budget cuts. They usually do this at the most inopportune time, like right before a holiday!

Advice to Senior Managementreduce your holdings to a manageable size and stop adding new business units if you can't support your current load

Nice team but poor upper management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chatsworth, CA

ProsDecent salary if you're just starting out.
    Flexible schedule.
    Honest about performance.

ConsAt a company that requires a lot of background knowledge to be successful, there is almost zero training. And the training that is completed is on the fly. The folks are nice enough, but without spending any time to get someone up to speed on the products, the market, the company, etc, even experienced individuals will be seeing the door.

My advice? Unless you know the business you're going to be working for like the back of your hand, stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to communicate company needs, goals, and industry knowledge.

Worked for 1105 Media? Contribute to the Community!