1105 Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Telework for some

I worked at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

This is an update to my previous one-star review -- actually more of additional data point and clarification. Many reviewers here are saying 1105 offers a liberal telework option. That's true for many employees, including quite a few who live in entirely different time zones from their own home office. However...

Cons

...the company will also suddenly and arbitrarily decide, based on nothing but the whim of a couple of executives who are way too enamored of their own power, that certain employees who enjoyed telework privileges can no longer work from home. Case in point: I had been teleworking because every single other member of my team worked remotely and I didn't see the point of enduring a long and tiring commute to an empty office. Then one day, for absolutely no reason, I was told I had to come into the office every single day because mine was a "quasi-production" position. This lame excuse, which applied only to me, was total nonsense, since every single thing I did was either done through a Web-based CMS or via PDFs. But that's par for the course at a company that has zero respect for its employees or their contributions.

Advice to Management

Stop singling people out for special treatment based on arbitrary criteria you pull out of thin air. I know it's a foreign concept to the people who run this company, but consider being fair and evenhanded in your treatment of people. Morale might actually improve -- assuming you care about how your employees feel.

Publishing hell.

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It' is a paycheck but don't expect any raises or bonuses or even a pat on the back. Senior management could care less about any employee except themselves. And that's the best I can say about this hell hole.

Cons

Chew them up, grind them up, spit them out is the company's mission statement. This place will take everything you got and still want more.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO. If success starts at the top, this place is doomed.

It's a job

I worked at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

If you need a job, then this will suffice. As long as you do your job, you should be okay, but don't expect a lot of perks and extra benefits with this company.

Cons

This is a private equity run company, which means they focus on one thing: money. Employees are considered dispensable and not much is given in the way of support. Don't expect training of any sort, bonuses or raises.

5. Entrepreneurial spirit, fast passed, great people, lots of flexibility, room for growth, and job security!

Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Director Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company that allows a tremendous amount of flexibility to align its employees the best career path and jobs within the organization's business units that will optimize those people’s talents for a win-win situation. Great people. Excellent holiday and PTO. Company provides all of Thanksgiving and Christmas week's off WITH PAY. Company is not just owned by very reputable VCs but also some of the executive management employees. Consensus oriented decision making process, to allow for the best decisions to be made for the overall health and direction of the company. Great products that are competitive in the print, online, events, and research - media landscape. Phenomenal tenure with the employees. Most of the employees have been with the company since before the 1105 Media acquisition in 2006. On average the tenure is over 5 years! Twice that of the national average. People are here because they like it, despite what the sour grapes say. Each business unit is given a lot of slack to run that division as its own business. That allows quick decision making which promotes a fun, spirited work environment with rapid change, and organic growth. Company is profitable, and continues to acquire strategically relevant media properties. Great locations across the US. Flexibility to work from a home office. Decent health, dental, vision benefits. Snack, candy, drinks, coffee, etc. provided at each office location. Company allows early leave before holidays like Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc... Free parking at all the offices. Excellent technology provided so every employee could do their jobs well. We seldom have any technology issues that cause down time. Our technology team is tethered 24/7 to ensure ZERO DOWN TIME with our productivity, product releases, and business health. Look, it's a great company and I can go on and on...But I speak first hand having been at the company for almost 10 years, then leaving to pursue other interests, and then being asked to come back and work in a different business unit, and I'm glad I did. I am happier than I've been as far back as I can remember. Unfortunately, one of the reasons I left was due to the failure of the business unit I was in. Each business unit head is tasked with being the steward of their division. If they are incompetent and make the wrong business decisions, the whole business unit suffers as a result, and ultimately the company. I left for that reason, and kudos to the executive management team for being so patient and forgiving to allow that business unit leader to try and make the best of things. Ultimately, the executive management team has to make a decision for the survival of the business unit, and how it impacts the company as a whole, so change will be imposed. 1105 Media is a great place to work weather you are an intern, or an executive seeking to join a company who is carving a new path in the media business, and anyone in between. Great company, great people, job security, competitive products, great place to work.

Cons

We are nimble, so most people do the work of more than just themselves. But you get out of your work what you put into it. Benefits could be better, but we have a profitable company and everyone is employed. Employees will sometimes get lost in the noise and not feel appreciated. I don't think you'll see any negative things that are atypical to 1105 Media. The challenges you'll see are typical in most if not all companies, but that's offset by all the great things the company stands for and does.

Advice to Management

Management should do a better job praising individuals and their contribution. That will provide a better perception that they know the effort each of us puts in, and they are not "ruling from the ivory tower", as some have said. Be more rapid in cutting off the cancer when it's realized and implement corrective action before the damage goes too deep.

High turnover, low company morale, poor compensation and terrible benefits

I worked at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

I had a great boss and regardless of the sinking ship 1105 Media Inc. has become, due to poor decisions made by upper management, I learned a tremendous amount Lenient about teleworking Decent PTO

Cons

Little to no training or professional development. I was essentially given a laptop & told to learn html, making it incredibly stressful for me (as the new hire) and my boss (struggling to set aside time to train) in the midst of having to do 20 other jobs because layoffs were so pervasive. The office is a ghost town. Due to massive layoffs to cut head count so that 1105 could pay back their investors without receiving late penalties, there are a ton of empty cubicles; this is really the "elephant in the room" for current employees and significantly contributes to poor morale. Poor compensation. You may start off at a "competitive" salary, but even a simple "Cost-of-living" raise is hard to come by - even if you are a high-performer and have made significant contributions to your business unit. Top talent has left 1105 Media Inc. for their competitors (GovExec etc.) that recognize the value of investing in their employees and rewarding them for their efforts. Decisions are NOT made strategically. This company keeps beating a dead horse, attempting to re-market products NO ONE CARES ABOUT and sets unrealistic goals for the reduced staff they have now, and are surprised when the lofty goals are not met. As a result employees are harangued by executives/upper management. Antiquated technology. This company is using cumbersome, dated and ultimately flawed technology platforms that hinder business productivity and trying to pull one simple report a head ache. Benefits. They are incredibly expensive and go up each enrollment period. No surprise given 1105's current state that they cannot match contributions to 401k.

Advice to Management

Be transparent: If I earned a dollar for every "restructure" email I received I would be retiring early. These emails were VERY misleading. On the one hand acknowledging the cuts in staff and on the other hand speaking of "growth opportunities". Tell them e-x-a-c-t-l-y how it is and don't promise growth opportunities when they may not be in the cards. Reward/invest in your employees: Even if it is providing pizza on a Friday or having an ice cream social, making a small gesture goes a long way, especially when you cannot offer them more than a cost of living raise. Stop remarking products that are unsuccessful: This is a BIG one. Invest more time in market research and less time in re marketing products are ultimately unsuccessful - it makes marketers feel like they can't market and the whole team incredibly frustrated. Make decisions from the bottom up instead of the top down: Given how lean this organization has become. Get to know what your employees pain points are and before making a huge decision that impacts everyone - as a team decide what the best approach is and if this is the right time for making a huge change. Get rid of bad technology: All of the business technology platforms are not integrated and need to because right now most things that are manual...shouldn't. Your CRM and database should be 1 platform. Your email marketing platform should talk to your CRM.

7. Awful company. Sinking ship.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I worked at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone equally hates it so we get along. Week between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Cons

Terrible management. Layoffs often. Dated resources. Poor product.

Advice to Management

All your smart employees left because you treated them poorly. Find a way to foster your young talent. Find a better way to recognize your employees. Compensate them fairly. Promote from within. Train everyone continuously on the new trends in the industry.

Coordinator

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time

Pros

Great Company! Great working environment.

Cons

No Cons!!!!! I enjoy this company very much

Advice to Management

keep up the hard work and positive attitudes

Please board get a CEO that cares about people!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn and then take that experience and leave for a better lead company.

Cons

No innovation, no products that any one wants, executive team that is lead by a dictator who throws his Harvard MBA around. Exec staff is yes men that don't care at all about culture or building a winning team. The positive reviews here are probably the CEO and his cronies.

Advice to Management

Put out products people want, move into the 21st century. Replace the exec team w people that have passion, and know how to lead.

10. Best work-life balance ever!

I have been working at 1105 Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have the right manager, you can thrive here. The PTO, flexibility and opportunity to learn is pretty impressionable.

Cons

The money is not super, but it's not horrible either. I'd sacrifice a stellar work-life balance for a few dollars any day. The health benefit costs are frighteningly, high. And there seems to be some chaos among upper management, but if you steer clear and do your job, you're good.

Advice to Management

Be consistent, be fare. And no matter the setbacks, you are winning with your PTO and telework benefits.

Another year. Another bad review.

I have been working at 1105 Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

I reviewed 1105 Media one year ago. This is an update. - PTO is still good, but management attempted to screw everyone over on PTO last year by suspending it from October through December in exchange for an extra week off at Christmas. They also attempted to steal earned PTO back from employees, but there were enough complaints about it that they gave it back. There was still a huge outcry and lots of angry people. We're all hoping they don't do it again this year. - Mostly good people (except management)

Cons

- Management is a good ol boys club. They're only concerned about themselves and will throw others under the bus. - This place really, really, really needs a complete overhaul. Give yearly COL raises! Give bonuses! That would go a very long way to retaining your people. - Good workers are still under-recognized and leave constantly. - The constant restructuring of the business units (the large ones that are supposedly profitable) is sad. A successful company doesn't need to restructure a couple times each year. How does taking a bad manager and making them the manager of more business units make good sense? Fire all the management and bring in new blood. - Bottom line: It's a good place to get your feet wet in the B2B marketing world, but this company is not sustainable. Get in, get experience, put it on your resume, and get out as quickly as you can.

Advice to Management

If you're really worried about your own hides, start caring about your employees. They're the ones who actually make this company work.

RSS Feed </> Embed