1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East

1. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Supervisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time

Pros

Multiple tasks dealing with various departments give a great insight to other processes. Various positions that you can grow into. Lots of room to grow. Have flexible schedules & opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Not really any cons other than office distance was a little far for me

Advice to Management

More work from home opportunity

2. Excellent Company

Current Employee - Underwriting in Trumbull, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriting in Trumbull, CT

I have been working at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for. Friendly atmosphere, great training, cafe, massage available, can promote within.

Cons

Hard to get back in if you leave.

Advice to Management

Please make re-hiring easier.

3. Absolutely the BEST CHOICE I've made

Former Employee - Home Health Aid (Pca) in New Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Home Health Aid (Pca) in New Bedford, MA

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are absolutely amazing. Couldn't ask for a better union to have been employed through. The advantages are endless!

Cons

Could assist with job placement for those unemployed. It would be useful if each member had a certain case manager they could contact if needed.

Advice to Management

I've been pounding the pavement looking for clients as I am currently out of work. Placement services would be extremely useful!

5. Good company overall.

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East

Pros

Relatively good benefits/pay. Worked on a good team. Seems job satisfaction is closely tied to the team you are assigned.

Cons

Some bureaucracy to deal with.

6. Great cause, little training.

Former Contractor - Field Organizer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Field Organizer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Number one thing for me, I need to work for a company that I know is doing good. With SEIU I helped organize workers who work hard and deserve better, and we were trying to help them get what they deserve. So, great cause. Other obvious Pro for me was the wages, SEIU knows how to take care of their employees. As a field organizer I was paid a salary of $750/wk, along with mileage bi-monthly reimbursed at about 26 cents a mile (which really added up, as my position required a LOT of driving). In my particular case, I stayed in a hotel during the week, which the company paid for and was also allowed a daily per diem of $30 a day (paid monthly). So, great cause, great pay. Now I know this all sounds lovely, but while the Pros are definitely pros, the Cons are also very real for this job, so make sure to read it all to get a well rounded idea.

Cons

As I mentioned, I did an awful lot of driving for my position, easily 80% of the work was driving. On average we worked anywhere from 30-45 hrs a week. Times to arrive at work were in no way concrete. While our general schedule was 11am-8pm, it wasn't uncommon (with incredible short notice, sometimes even a text the morning of) that we were told to come in an hour early, or were told to work late, at times even till around 10pm. While my particular circumstance was living in a hotel all week, this didn't bother me much, but to those who actually lived in the city, this tended to be unbelievably frustrating, making it very difficult to balance having a life and having work. Additionally a Union is supposed to be run by the workers, very worker driven, however in my experience SEIU is incredibly top-down run. The workers rarely made any actual decisions, and were very much led in the direction the higher-ups wanted them to go. Of course, this may all be tied into the particular campaign, team and position I was put into.

7. very good

I have been working at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the opportunity to grow which is really nice

Cons

handling some of the projects given

8. great EXTRY LEVEL OPPORTUNITY

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East

Pros

I enjoyed flexible schedules and option to work from home. Great work life balance.

Cons

No warnings prior to changes. No onsite management so a lot of phone meetings.

Advice to Management

Live a day in the life of the job before making changes.

9. Leading healthcare company

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very satisfied after 12 years working for UHC.

Cons

Employee healthcare benefit have high deductubles and co-pays. Not worthy of a world-renowned healthcare company.

Advice to Management

Cooperation amiong departments and sites is not what it it should be.

10. Great people, great causes, poor organization

Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East full-time

Pros

Great people who are committed to the work they do, solid healthcare and pension benefits, encourages and funds training and educational opportunities.

Cons

Long hours and severe disorganization and lack of coordination among departments that leads to a lot of wasted effort and poor results

Advice to Management

Set some priorities for the union to coordinate departments and don't burn out your staff

11. Very busy

I have been working at 1199 SEIU United Healthcare Workers East

Pros

Flexible, dependable good incentives

Cons

Overwhelming expectations of the job