120VC

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
4.4

Jason Scott

An innovative company with a real career path for project managers.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are many things that I like about working at 120VC. I wanted to share a new initiative that probably won't make the Top 10 List of why people work for a company, but I believe is indicative of the open and transparent culture. All employees are asked to comment every week on a new topic (this is completely voluntary), as part of the "Know Your Company" initiative. The following week all responses are sent to everyone in the company. This gives employees an opportunity to learn something new about their team mates, or to weigh-in on company matters. Like I said this might be a small thing, but for me it feels like a company that is trying to make work an enjoyable experience.

Cons

Nothing other that the normal challenges that all project managers face.

This is a complete Project Management boot camp experience where you will learn how to do it right.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 120VC full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) Total immersion in project management with very structured guidelines, templates, tools, techniques and an auditor or program manager who will check that you are living up to the 120 standards on a weekly basis.
    2) Good group of people / all professionals who are willing to lend a helping hand.
    3) You will be a better (in fact, maybe the best) project manager after you've done your tour of duty.

Cons

1) If you don't do well with rigor and discipline, you are not going to like the experience.
    2) The pay isn't top dollar in comparison to what other consulting firms are offering.
    3) Difficult to maintain the pace and workload required of their project managers for longer than a year and half or two.

1) Make the bonus a real and regular part of your good people's compensation in order to increase retention.
    2) Invest more in actual hands-on, side-by-side training as opposed to requiring people to take tests that don't necessarily have a direct correlation back to an increase in an individual's performance.
    3) Minimize the amount of time over and beyond the billable hours that people are required to put into their work week.

Program Manager

I worked at 120VC

Pros

They have their own training but if you're already a PMP it's a waste of your time.

Cons

Everything is done on the phone. They don't have an actual office which is fine but then you're doing a group interview with a panel on the phone. They interview is like you're taking your PMP test so be ready to explain everything down to the smallest administrative details.

Hire admins and train them if you really are so sure of your training program.

120VC Response

May 5, 2014CEO

This review was either left by mistake or by someone that we choose not to hire. 120VC has an office in Los Angeles, but like most corporations we start all candidates with phone screens. If folks ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very happy with my involvement with the company

Current Employee - Project Management Apprentice  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Management Apprentice in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent opportunities to work with a range of clients. I have received great training and, despite being new to the industry, I have been able to learn a lot and directly apply what I have learned to projects. The 120VC project management standard is a proven way to aggressively manage projects and this makes learning how to effectively manage projects an enjoyable experience.

Cons

Don't get a lot of interaction with other employees.

Keep up the good work.

Great Company, Great Colleagues, Lots of Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time for less than a year

Pros

The 120 VC Standard is a mighty shield and sword that will fend off your enemies. And the team will always be there to advise you. Being reviewed every week will help you to organize yourself better.

Cons

The start is challenging. Learning the 120 VC Standard AND working full time and pursuing the additional 120 VC certification is not for easy going, lazy types.

Stay the course!

Great company, great tools, great people

I worked at 120VC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

120VC provides professional project managers with unlimited opportunity for growth and advancement. Promotions are earned by meeting a clearly defined set of criteria backed by world class training and support. For professional project/ program managers, working for 120VC will bring your skills and performance to the next level. For people looking to enter the profession, check out the apprentice program.

Cons

I don't see any cons to working with 120VC. For professional project/ program managers 120VC is the end of the rainbow.

Working for 120VC has been an amazing and learning experience since day 1.

I have been working at 120VC

Pros

One great reason for working at 120VC is that the people at 120VC really take care of each other. They know how to look out for one another and provide a helping hand when needed. Also, everyday is a learning experience. There is always something new to implement in your position. I haven't been part of a team that enjoys and communicates as effectively as this one.

Cons

The only con is that we don't see each other enough! I'd love to see more of the people at 120VC on a consistent basis!

To the management of 120VC, I admire your passion in the company you have built. Your drive and ambition shows when 120VC excels above its own standards. I very much feel honored and blessed to be part of such a high quality team.

Happy to be part of 120VC family!

I have been working at 120VC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a lot of career opportunity and a possibility to challenge a higher level of responsibility. 120VC is a fast growing company; its unique project management standard is not only the theory but actually applicable in practice.The mentoring program is very useful for young professionals looking to make a career. Long commutte in LA may be miserable; fortunately 120VC makes a lot of effort to find a project closer to your home.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep hiring people with a positive attitude. Learning the processes is challenging but doable (with all the great help provided), changing the attitude is almost impossible.
    Consider paperless paystub.

Educating and Investing in it's employees in order to further the discipline of Project Management

Current Employee - Apprentice Project Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Apprentice Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to 120VC through their Apprenticeship Program, having a decade of work experience within the media industry - and very little experience in Project Management. Project Management is a career path that I sought out knowing that it could help build the professional skill sets I find extremely important in today's world. 120VC is a company that invests in, educates and values it's employees like no other... and I am proof of that. There is no place I would rather learn the discipline of Project Management as I feel there is no other company out there that is on top of the game as this one.

Cons

In the time I've been here, I haven't yet been able to come up with any cons!

You've built a great team and an amazing program! What will always keep this company ahead of the curve is that management listens and acts on input from all employees... always striving to be better when 120VC is already the best.

Working here will improve your Project Management skill set considerably

I have been working at 120VC

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunity.
    PMs that are leaders and self-starters do well in this environment.
    The toolset that is used is mature and clearly defined.
    The company has lots of very sharp people in it, so there is opportunity to leverage their knowledge.
    Minimal travel, since the client base is in the Los Angeles area.

Cons

High learning curve to become proficient with the 120VC tool kit.
    Work/Life balance can be difficult at times, but this is not unusual in the project management arena.

Worked for 120VC? Contribute to the Community!