120VC

Great opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Torrance, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time

Pros

The training courses and guidebook apply to all projects. Management had a large focus on personal growth and the company is full of opportunities to advance your career. They also have many well known clients so there is opportunity to work in many different environments.

Cons

Actively managing client work and internal work can be challenging. Internal reporting takes a significant amount of time putting the typical work week above 40 hours. Work/life balance can be difficult to manage.

Worked for 120 for a year and a half

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at 120VC as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

120 seemed like they took an interest in improving their employees. Even though I wasn't part of their Professional Services program (I was paid hourly) they allowed me to sit in on their training programs.

Overall, 120 was a good vehicle for working at a huge successful company.

Cons

I don't feel that management was open enough to discussing increased compensation through the course of the contract.

120VC Gives You The Tools To Succeed As A Project Manager

I have been working at 120VC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Project Management Standard as put forth by 120VC gives you the how-to knowledge to succeed as a Project Manager at any company. Though distributed across multiple clients, the employees are never along - there are multiple opportunities to get together and the Program Managers do a great job of mentoring and advising.

Cons

Nothing of consequence. Because project managers work at various clients locations, it takes an effort on the part of the employees to get to know each other and learn from each other.

If your Project Management office needs direction, have lunch with the 120VC CEO.

Great Organization

I have been working at 120VC (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working with 120VC for nearly 2 years. Their PMs help clients not just complete projects as requested, but set the bar higher for best practices. Having come fresh into the IT consulting field, but with 8 years small business experience, I know the difference between a mediocre customer experience and a great one. I helped start a business and have seen it serve roughly 2000 customers annually for 11 years. In the project management realm, I have worked with several project and program managers, interfaced with a handful of directors and have been coordinating and managing small projects or pieces of larger ones. I have seen where other managers simply don't have the rigor or discipline to drive the project forward and lead. Initiatives, tasks or action items slip off the table. This is not the case with 120VC, they hire PMs that can deliver to a standard, which gives the client a new level of assurance and value. I have taken the courses and studied the Guidebook, I found these resources very insightful and supportive of my mission to serve each customer better than the last.

Cons

None that I am aware of

Continue to invest in professional development of your staff

Solid company led by some smart people

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer training and reinforcement of project management best practices that work.

Cons

The first few weeks can be very challenging for a PM to ramp up, learn and also be productive. The tools are there, you just have to be ready to focus without distractions.

These guys are awesome

Former Employee - Mentorship Program
    Former Employee - Mentorship Program

I worked at 120VC as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I participated in their mentorship program. It was amazing. Despite the program being a charity (volunteer), they shared with me their templates, guidebook and training. One of the directors even looked over some of my project deliverables to give me feedback. I asked the CEO numerous questions about my project and he was ever willing to lend his advice. I thought that was really generous.

Cons

There were no serious cons in my experience. Maybe I could gripe about the training and tests being less than perfect, but 120 isn't a professional test making company, so I learned to live with it. In fact, I was complaining to the CEO about some of the questions and he actually changed them.

Continuous improvement of the training program should be sought. The classes could use some sprucing up, perhaps using process flowcharts and other aides not immediately available in the guidebook. That way the content is not a reiteration of the book, but a different angle on the topics.

Two thumbs up for 120VC!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

120VC is an innovative and team-oriented company to work at. Everyone's voices are heard and even encouraged to participate. The CEO believes in raw talent to be the future of this company and that gives us all a chance and hope that we do get discovered. It is naturally easy to speak up the company because it's proven in the work and growth that it has shown.

Cons

120VC is awesome - I have no cons.

Onward and Upward.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Now in my second year I have completed both the 120VC PM and PgM certifications and have moved up in the organization as a Program Manager. The 120VC approach and tools helped me to lead projects for our client more effectively. Even the ones that finished past the desired due date were considered successful due to the leadership and communications the approach fostered. If you really want to hone your skills and work with great people this is the place.

Cons

Not really a con but the client culture and environment I'm at is challenging, which all the more highlights the benefits of using the 120 VC approach and tools.

An innovative company with a real career path for project managers.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at 120VC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are many things that I like about working at 120VC. I wanted to share a new initiative that probably won't make the Top 10 List of why people work for a company, but I believe is indicative of the open and transparent culture. All employees are asked to comment every week on a new topic (this is completely voluntary), as part of the "Know Your Company" initiative. The following week all responses are sent to everyone in the company. This gives employees an opportunity to learn something new about their team mates, or to weigh-in on company matters. Like I said this might be a small thing, but for me it feels like a company that is trying to make work an enjoyable experience.

Cons

Nothing other that the normal challenges that all project managers face.

This is a complete Project Management boot camp experience where you will learn how to do it right.

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 120VC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) Total immersion in project management with very structured guidelines, templates, tools, techniques and an auditor or program manager who will check that you are living up to the 120 standards on a weekly basis.
    2) Good group of people / all professionals who are willing to lend a helping hand.
    3) You will be a better (in fact, maybe the best) project manager after you've done your tour of duty.

Cons

1) If you don't do well with rigor and discipline, you are not going to like the experience.
    2) The pay isn't top dollar in comparison to what other consulting firms are offering.
    3) Difficult to maintain the pace and workload required of their project managers for longer than a year and half or two.

1) Make the bonus a real and regular part of your good people's compensation in order to increase retention.
    2) Invest more in actual hands-on, side-by-side training as opposed to requiring people to take tests that don't necessarily have a direct correlation back to an increase in an individual's performance.
    3) Minimize the amount of time over and beyond the billable hours that people are required to put into their work week.

120VC Response

Oct 3, 2014CEO

First I want to thank the Alumni that left this review! In my humble opinion, this is probably the best review we have ever received! For three reasons… The first being that it has been at least ... More