1st Ayd Reviews

Updated March 28, 2014

3.4

Thomas R Schreiner

Independent Sales Representative

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative In My Third Year  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative In My Third Year in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great products to sell and an owner who wants you to succeed and will help you get there.
    Provides you with sales samples and an owner who is willing to bring in new items to help you sell and even lets you set up local companies to drop ship products to be more competitive. I was able to sell and have bulk oil delivered locally to many accounts. Thanks Tom.

Cons

No benefits but you do have something to sell to everyone. Most products are in stock and are delivered within a day or two. I've often placed an order in the morning and had it delivered the next day. Customers have never complained about poor quality or asked for a replacement. Become an expert in the trades you call on and you will have customers for life.

Continue to compensate for attending monthly meetings in Elgin, IL. These are extremely helpful and the manufacturers reps in attendance help educate us on their products and how to create new opportunities to grow existing and new business. I really appreciate Tom Schreiner's lead by example philosophy. He goes out everyday and does exactly what we do, he cold calls and also services his existing customers and knows exactly what we go through every day . This is a great opportunity for new or seasoned salespeople. Give Tom a call and arrange a visit at the facility. They make a lot of the products onsite and you will be amazed at how much committment there is at 1st Ayd to be a quality company for it's employees and our customers.

Good Company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's the perfect job if you can work on your own with little supervision. There are plenty of products to sell, basically unlimited product line. The management and office staff are willing to help with quotes, etc. This leaves the sales rep the time to sell, not doing paperwork. The management are all salespeople so they understand when there are struggles in the field. They will work with you in the field if needed as well.

Cons

It takes the right kind of self motivated person in the beginning as it is very challenging. Cold calling all day can be a grind while building up a customer base but that's the case with most sales jobs.

1st Ayd is a well principled company. They display a lot of integrity and a great business plan.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Fox Point, WI
    Current Employee - Sales in Fox Point, WI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time for more than a year

Pros

The earning potential at 1st Ayd is virtually unlimited. I am in control of what I would like to earn. There is not an over-bearing management staff here. The inside staff is efficient and supportive. The response to customer requests is very quick. I am extremely impressed with our inventory levels and our order fill rate. The quality of 1st Ayd's products is excellent.

Cons

Selling chemicals and janitorial supplies is not easy. I have been in professional sales for over 20 years and have to say that this is the most challenging sales job yet. However, a determined and committed candidate can succeed here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Why 1st AYD is one of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No micromanagement, if you are self motivated and honest you can do very well with this company. The sky is the limit for sales and products to sell. The company is very helpful in bringing in new products that meet your sales needs. Good management staff, and owners are very hands on with training and helping quality people to grow.

Cons

No direct deposit and having to front money for equipment are the only downsides.

Come up with a credit system for equipment purchases that do not require the salesman or customer to put money down for items under $5000.00

Sales contract written to take your work and give it to other people.

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time for more than a year

Pros

Higher commission rates than some competitors.

Cons

Contract allows them to do anything to you.
    Contract allows them to sue you if you try to call on relationships you earned BEFORE working for them.
    Company routinely fires people without any warning, despite what their contract suggests.
    Your contracts and contacts will be funneled to senior employees who have been lucky enough to survive by inheriting business from terminated employees.
    You pay for all samples and marketing.
    Shipping rates will make you uncompetitive in most places.
    Owner and personal friends are senior management. Its a good ol boys club with no vision for the future besides screwing people until they are forced out.
    WORST OF ALL: They tell everyone they have unique and exceptional products. They do not have anything really unique or exceptional. They have the same stuff as Kimball, Zep, AutoZone, NAPA, etc... They want you to think it is unique so you will pass the lies to unsuspecting customers.

None. You brag about only being able to keep 6% of your employees longer than a couple months. You couldn't take good advice if I bothered to give it.

Poor

I worked at 1st Ayd for less than a year

Pros

You basically curate your own schedule without very much direction what so ever. It did seem like a solid company as far as how long they have been in business.

Cons

They really give you zero direction and when you are coming into a territory that has not had anyone in it for at least 10 years you have zero creditability. If you do not write an order in the first month they will let you go....period. There is a reason why 94% (% I was given by mgt) do not succeed. Only take this position (not a career) if you sanitary selling experience and it is an established territory.....other wise keep looking!

Figure out why 94% of people you hire do not succeed.....that's embarrassing!

Hard work, with big reward.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at 1st Ayd full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No micro management. You are able to work on your own. Generous compensation for succeeding. Paid for cold calls (+sample credit),new accounts, sales increases, bonuses, overrides. The closest thing to owning your own company without all the headaches. And I have owned my own company before. No territory restrictions. Account protected basis. Company is open to expanding product line with investment by sales rep. Diverse forms of training, including getting paid to watch videos and take quizzes. Long tenure of office staff. Very few back orders on stocking items. Sales management at your option.

Cons

Must do lots of cold calls. Saturday sales meetings. Sales rep pays customer's late fees. THIS JOB IS HARD! Harder then I thought it would be when I started. Dealing with bitter sales reps that can't get the job done.

Run less sales ads. Use more word of mouth to recruit quality sales reps. Better screening of applicants.

Do not trust them

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are on your own, you have freedom to schedule your days

Cons

There are numerous cons. The contract you sign allows them to do whatever they want to you, very unethical company. if you dont hit your quota in the first month be careful, they say they put you on probation for the next couple months to catch up but thats usually not true they will fire you without telling you. dirty company BEWARE!!!!!!

Get better management, work with new sales people, keep in mind that building a territory takes time, cant be done in 30 days.

Great upside if you have the savings to make it through lean month

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Louisville, KY

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time for less than a year

Pros

Complete independence and flexibility to work your own schedule. Great pricing and value you can give the customer. Most successful reps have an account base they bring with them from a competitor like zep. Owner is top sales rep for the company, he is a direct no bs salesman. I really admire his work ethic and what he has built. The cold call and new account bonus is really great. If you are making quota everything is great and you can make some serious money. It's 100% commission so have some savings built up if you want to make it long term. The other great thing is the sample program, they believe in tons of samples. It makes opening up new accounts much easier. Just so you know, I didn't make it as long term sales rep with 1st Ayd, but I don't regret working for them at all. I opened up a ton of small accounts, but the key is getting those bigger accounts. If I could, I would go back to work for them!
    The biggest thing is if you have an existing customer base, then you can really do well.

Cons

Cons, every company has them. There is tons of turn over of sales reps with this company, but this is not something that they hide. They will let you know that only 1 in 10 sales reps will make it. Most sales reps are full of you know what, but this job is put up the numbers or shut up. You can't hide here. My absolute biggest obstacle to selling for them was the freight issue. If your territory is over 100 miles from Chicago, then freight will be the biggest hang up for your customers. Because all the money you can save your customers is eaten away or is more expensive when you add in
    the freight. Be aware of all the caveats in the contract on how you get paid commissions. The better you understand it upfront the better off you will be in the long run. Another thing I've seen negative posted about this company is that the office staff is indifferent to the sales reps. In a way they are, but they see a ton of turn over so it's not their fault. I worked there 6 months and I developed some good rapport and relationships with the home office staff.

Beware

Former Employee - Sales  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Akron, OH

I worked at 1st Ayd full-time for less than a year

Pros

upside earning potental good if company does It's part.

Cons

to many hidden facts that are traps to earnings, contract is long and many hidden facts. Paying $150.00 for samples is ludicrous!

Stop thrownig _____ against the wall and hoping it will stick. 90% failure rate is nothing to brag about

Worked for 1st Ayd? Contribute to the Community!