1st Global Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

2.3

Stephen A Batman

Leaving with skills I will carry with me. I'm better now than I was when I started!

I have been working at 1st Global as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

My time at 1st Global was very enjoyable. My department was very inclusive and accepting of me, even as a contract employee. The company sponsors lots of in-house events for employees - happy hours, video game challenges, a variety show. To celebrate their $2 Billion dollar milestone as a company, the president came in and flipped pancakes for the entire office. I've never worked for a company that encouraged their employees to get together and know each other as much as this company did. World Cup fan? Every one of the 50+ big screen TVs was tuned to the US game - and everyone gathered around to watch and cheer. They are still able to operate like a small company in many respects. I believe the company culture is very strong and the vision is clear.

It's the most impressive office space you will ever step into. You can tell a lot of time was taken to design these offices. Great office "perks": Free garage parking. Regular employees are given access to free gym membership and building concierge service. They provide free sodas in the break room.

My experiences with upper management were extremely positive. There are some very smart executives working here. The President of the company sits in a cube and is very accessible to all employees, as is all of the upper management. They are dedicated to developing the future leaders of this company through some outstanding leadership training programs. They are also dedicated to development of their regular employees - whether that means additional licensing, professional designations, or advanced education.

In my role, I was give very clear, concise objectives and expectations. I never felt like it was a "sink or swim" environment. I found my department colleagues to be extremely knowledgeable of our field, and I always felt supported. At the same time, I had total autonomy, and was able to do my job and perform my duties in my own way. I was also given plenty of flexibility to take care of personal matters if needed, adjust my hours, and even take a day off. Employees are treated as professionals, and I didn't see a lot of nit-picking or micro managing. My performance was praised, and even as a seasoned professional in my field, I learned quite a bit. I'd even say I'm better at my job now after having worked with the people in my department.

I was never really privy to any of the office politics or cliques - I guess they were there, but aren't they in every office? Get over it and rise above! I've certainly worked in places were they were much WORSE! In my experience with 1st Global, I never noticed what some of the other reviewers did.

Cons

Painstakingly slow and manual recruiting and HR processes. There is no online applicant tracking system; therefore, there is no singular way for an application to get to the recruiter. The company is such a specialized niche in the financial services industry, they have some very non-conforming roles. To fill these roles, they are recruiting away from some of the big name firms. The individuals they have to recruit who are qualified for their roles are in some instances, getting paid higher salaries with incentive plans that 1st Global does not offer. This makes it difficult to recruit top talent in many cases.

Consider a variable comp and/or incentive plan for other licensed positions. Everyone at 1st Global is dedicated to making your advisers succeed. All of their efforts should be rewarded, as they are contributing to the success and growth of the financial advisers in the field.

By far the worst company that I've ever worked for! Worst decision ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at 1st Global full-time

Pros

There aren't any pros to working at this company.

Cons

The employees aren't treated fairly at all. Some of the staff are not very trustworthy & very cliquish to say the least. They push the open door policy but threaten to fire the employees who actually come forward. The employees are extremely unpaid for the large volumes of work that they are expected to complete. Incentives also aren't offered to employees, but the top executives receive large bonuses. Don't waste your time here. There are lots of. Companies out there who value, respect and treat all employees equally.

Learn how to treat the employees. It also may not be a bad idea to get rid of some of upper management and find individuals who truly know how to operate a company.

Will not recommend this company!

I worked at 1st Global full-time

Pros

There are no pros to provide for this company.

Cons

The problems with this company begin at the very top with the CEO.

Stop the employee revolving door.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lesson Learned--Move On!

I worked at 1st Global full-time

Pros

Decent work/life balance if you're not in a critical position. Lovely well-planned office space. Some executives seem to sincerely care if employee has the right resources/tools to do their job. Very knowledgeable about the industry and willing to share that knowledge.

Cons

Very cliquish; subpar benefits; alot of favoritism and micro-management; alot of communication through rumors and innuendo; many not fairly paid for the contributions they make; low starting salaries; be prepared to stay at that salary indefinitely even though revenues have increased significantly; promotions and pay increases at the whim of upper management; lower level employees are treated as second class citizens; upper management decides who to include or exclude based on position title; fear-based performance.

Need a complete culture shift, starting with treating EMPLOYEES as your greatest asset (and not the advisors). Stop making excuses for not rewarding your people as revenues increase and executives get large bonuses. Lead with integrity and not motivate through fear. Too many employees are fearful of losing their jobs if they say anything executives don't want to hear. If you want to get better, listen to your employees and don't retaliate when you hear the truth, even though it may be painful. Stop hiring "yes" men and hire people who take a vested interest in leading the company to success.

Flexible and inclusive work environment

Former Employee - Senior Regulatory Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Regulatory Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at 1st Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive work environment, and company seems to truly care for employees.

Cons

More daily work to do than can be done in a typical 40 hour week.

Go look elsewhere for experience

I worked at 1st Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Covered parking, beautifully designed office space, quiet place to work

Cons

Executives are full of yes men. Leadership is young and inexperienced. Employees lack motivation. Too many are fearful of losing their job. Management and direct reports lack trust and respect in each other.

Trust and respect your employees and each other. Better appreciation of staff. Get rid of Modelnetics! It only causes more separation than it's worth. More training for executives, or just get rid of some of them.

Move on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at 1st Global full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, covered parking, quite work place, know how to put on a show for clients. A good start for Finance Majors.

Cons

Full of yes men, full of unprofessional attitudes, inexperienced leadership, no appreciation for employees, low pay, lack of AC control, no talent or ability to act during company wide held meetings, rigged company contest,

Better 401K and pay, listen to employees, middle management need better training, keep politics out. Go back to giving vacation days and not paid time off, which is a rip off.

A lot to learn

I have been working at 1st Global full-time for less than a year

Pros

Load of training and opportunity to grow

Cons

The compensation should really be better. Some directors do alot of micro managing.

Career mobility of a start-up with the resources of a mature company

I have been working at 1st Global full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company with many opportunities to utilize more than one skill-set.

Ample opportunity to contribute and have meaningful impact on the business.

High-value is placed on professional development. Continuing education and attainment of professional designations is encouraged and supported.

Employees are kept informed of important business decisions and the reasoning behind them.

Relatively few layers of management to navigate.

Privately owned and operated by the original founder, an effective leader with good moral character and strong values.

Cons

Low 401k match (3% max)

Frequent turnover alarming to new employees.

Key business processes frequently undocumented.

Consider increasing the 401k match to 6% to remain competitive with nearby financial service firms (i.e. Charles Schwab, Fidelity, and TD Ameritrade ).

Watch your back.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at 1st Global full-time

Pros

There are some extremely knowledgeable people in this organization who you can learn a lot from.

Cons

Favoritism, rumors and misinformation is how this company is run. Lack of vision of the future means resources are spread too thin and always jumping from crisis to crisis.

Lead through inspiring not fear. Have faith and trust in your employees and don't always second guess them.

Worked for 1st Global? Contribute to the Community!