1st Source Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.3

1st Source Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman and CEO, 1st Source Bank Chris Murphy III
Chris Murphy III

Microsoft Shop, average bank, good employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Bend, IN

I have been working at 1st Source full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good managers, bankers hours normally, Project planning processes that actually work. Provide phones for support personnel. decent hardware to work on.

Cons

Never pick the best product / tool, only pick the best Microsoft Product / Tool. Poor communication amongst departments. No work from home policy.

Provide a bottoms-up review of managers to see what's really going on.

Good People, Needs Improvement on Everything Else

I worked at 1st Source full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is good, standard banking hours and major holidays off, so long as you're not at an extended hours branch/in-store branch. 401k match and health insurance provided at full-time. Many great people throughout the organization trying to advance it and really do care about their customers. Very efficient teller training program, when you complete it you feel knowledgeable about what you are doing. If you're in the South Bend area very well known which helps a lot in some situations. When it comes to come other areas, especially the Valpo region you'll find that you are constantly describing it as the bank with the orange sign. Do donate to a lot of organizations in the community though there isn't any initiatives for actual volunteer work.

Cons

Pay is sub-standard compared to typical banks. Tellers make more on average just about anywhere else. Upper management is completely out of touch with their employee base. There is no such think as confidentiality, I frequently was told professional/personal information about fellow co-workers, some of whom I had never even met and frankly it was not any of my business. Poor/negative leadership in certain areas, especially the Valpo region from the top down, which results in high turnover. A huge emphasis on sales that are based off of previous years and don't take into account changing markets/typical rise and fall of business (loans/accounts typically fall off in the colder months). Constantly feel forced to push products on people that are not in their best interests. Undecided target market and poor account options for students, but an application, which turns out to be less than reliable and doesn't have the basic functions of most banking apps. In general a lack of apathy towards any type of technological advance will frustrate you and your customers. The marketing department has somehow managed to supersede the position of the Consumer Banking VP and ends up making decisions that are in no one's best interests and communicated poorly throughout the bank.

The amount of responsibility tellers have is worthy of higher pay than one could make at a fast food employer. They are handling thousands and thousands of dollars at a time and are not respected for everything they have to know. Accept that banking technology is the future and get on board because the amount of customers I saw walk away because of this was insane. I myself still kept my account at another financial institution because I found it more convenient and easy to use. Take a second look at some of your management and what is happening on the ground level outside of South Bend, In regions farther away that don't take scrutiny like South Bend, managers run amok and behave in a way that I never found in the Central region. Degrading of employees and clients, lack of confidentially, and lack of communication to name a few.

Descent place to work

I have been working at 1st Source full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

work with some good people; friendly and easy working environment; flexibility with work and life balance though depending the manager; big on community service

Cons

poor benefit, low pay, lack of standard and consistency in giving out "Titles" (officer / AVP / VP) for people working at the customer front vs. backroom support

consolidate departments that perform the same function and eliminate the middle-management if you are serious about lean management

... not what I expected

Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at 1st Source part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros: You have the option to opt in for a matched 401k, but you will only ever see the money if you work there a certain amount of time - I believe 5 years?
    They are a small but growing company and do a great job of making you feeling excited to work for the company & like the company cares about you.

Cons

Cons: Uninteresting, ridiculous amount of cattiness at work, almost impossible to achieve their incredibly high account opening referrals each month, practically zero compensation for a referral becoming an account - there are about .... 3? impossible to refer accounts that pay maybe 5$ if you manage to get someone to open one. The compensation is laughable for a college grad.... for all the crazy training they make you do & for how sloooowwww (sometimes) or "i'm going insane we are so busy" stressful times - you should practically just get a job at mcdonalds instead. Please don't ever think being a bank teller/personal banker/CSR... whatever fancy word they want to call it - is remotely glamorous, fun, or professional.

Care more about your employees and less about expanding. Do something - ANYTHING!! to get rid of the problematic branch managers who could care less about their jobs and play favorites
    ..... begin to FAIRLY compensate those who do work hard and work with integrity, break up the "impenetrable" climate of cattiness at 90% of the branches, and for goodness sake get rid of the idea that ANY CSR or little peon is going anywhere in the company - the glass ceiling becomes very evident shortly after you start working there.

Overall good experience

I have been working at 1st Source

Pros

Great manager,
    great atmosphere,
    Easy work,
    Good hours,
    Nice location

Cons

No real advancement opportunities,
    Pay to Park,
    No bonuses

Love it so far

I have been working at 1st Source full-time

Pros

The people are all very friendly and in a genuine kinda way. Its somewhere that i am achieving my goals and feel like im gaining knowledge daily. I have opportunities for advancement here which I didn't previously have. They are genuinely concerned about their customers needs as opposed to just hitting sales quotas. Very glad I got a job here.

Cons

A little less up to date as far as technology compared to other banks, not really a downfall for the customer side, but sometimes makes things harder on the working side. No other flaws I've come across yet.

Enjoyed

Current Employee - International BPO, Debt Collection Agency
    Current Employee - International BPO, Debt Collection Agency

I have been working at 1st Source full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dinner offered by company,
    no job timing issues.

Cons

no fixed date for salary

needs much more improvement

1ST Source bank

I have been working at 1st Source full-time

Pros

willing to cross train on anything! I have learned so much with this company and they have allowed me to grow as a person and develop my career.

Cons

Short staffing is a major frustration with this company. They say that we are over staffed which is not correct and does nothing but stress out to no end.

O.K.

Current Employee - Banking Center Manager
    Current Employee - Banking Center Manager

I have been working at 1st Source

Pros

Decent Work Life Balance
    Financially Strong
    Well known in South Bend

Cons

Bottom of the industry in pay
    Management is based on years with bank, many are largely incompetent
    Brand is weak outside of South Bend
    Ultra Conservative
    Light years behind in technology

Figure it out.

Not bad

I worked at 1st Source

Pros

There are nice people working there.

Cons

Not much room for growth.

Develop your employees more.