21st Mortgage Corporation Reviews

Tim Williams

1. 21st Mortgage

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are so many great people here. It's fun to come in to work every day. The Servicing VP works hard to ensure people that are invested in the company are taken care of, and that their hard work pays off. Company has navigated an increasingly challenging regulatory and economic environment successfully. Berkshire Hathaway provides stability.

Cons

Mortgage companies, in general, are viewed as the "bad guy" due to many missteps by ridiculously aggressive lenders during the past decade. It is challenging to convey to existing customers their responsibilities and to provide quality service when a small portion has unrealistic expectations or unreasonable attitudes based on news media reports, rather than the facts of their own situation.

Advice to Management

Invest continually in improving software and hardware required to handle day to day activities. Efficiency and morale could be improved with added emphasis here.

2. A company that takes care of its employees

Pros

You don't need a specific background to land the position but the company has a lot of advancement opportunities with sufficient training for each job title. So long as you're willing to put forth the work and effort, it doesn't go unrecognized. The bonus structure in place is generous as well and the incentives are actually fun yet still foster team bonding. I've had bad jobs. 21st isn't one of them. Not only does this company take care of its employees, it's the only one I've worked for that reaches out and helps its community as well. Good job, 21st Mortgage.

Cons

They do a lot of construction downtown.

3. Financial Counselor

Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, love the people that I get to see every day. The company does a whole lot to make a difficult job entertaining and rewarding. The opportunities are there for performers to move up, and my work is easily measurable, so I know how I am doing. The company is growing and stable, so I know my long term options are good.

Cons

Company built on a frugal culture that will sometimes conflict with options and tools that would make life better for the employees, or make the job easier.

Advice to Management

Consider investing more on software and info systems -- younger people know technology, and it can be a let down not having more advanced and productive software.

5. Good job right out of college

I have been working at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time

Pros

21st hires all majors right out of college

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement and pay could be increased.

6. Financial advisor

Pros

Good Money, nice team, and fun office

Cons

Employees are not very nice to customers

7. It's a job, but that's about all

Current Employee - Financial Counselor, Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro here is that it's located in downtown Knoxville, which gives plenty of great options for lunch.

Cons

Poor management - virtually no vertical communication. Poor pay for such a successful company. Department management varies from intense mirco-management to a pure lack of management entirely. Lack of innovative strategies and solutions. Management DOES NOT listen, or even attempt, to talk to lower level employees to get feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Advice to Management

LISTEN! Just talk to your employees, have an open mind, and seek innovative strategies for process and product improvement. I will nearly bet that you just think people are going to tell you to spend more money on nice things....but I can guarantee that the majority of your employees just want simple improvements; such as proper tools for the job - tools that will make them work more efficiently and effectively!

8. collector

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Easy work schedule and somewhat easy day to manage. Pretty easy job and the hours are decent. Bonus time not that bad.

Cons

Knoxville isn't a very appealing place to live. Not very much room for advancement unless you know the right people.

Advice to Management

pay more to retain

pass on this one

Former Employee - Information Systems in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Information Systems in Knoxville, TN

I worked at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good starting point for young college grads...

Cons

Not good move for seasoned professional; ultra-conservative upper management; narrow-minded; vocally political and anti-democrat, and dare their people to oppose their views..

Advice to Management

Oust CEO and revamp overall company philosophies.

10. Ok for just out of college

I worked at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time

Pros

They don't require a lot of previous experience, so it's pretty easy to get a job if you are just out of college.

Cons

Very low pay especially in comparison to similar jobs at other companies

Advice to Management

Pay more to lower the turnover

11. Trailer Wrangler

I worked at 21st Mortgage Corporation full-time

Pros

Quiting was the only gratifying feeling I ever got from this place. Worst two years of my life. No pros at all.

Cons

Everything about this place is awful. The managers are awful, the job itself is awful, and probably the most unethical place a person could work. All for awful pay.

Advice to Management

Please just quit. The place is too far gone to recover with any of the managers sticking around. Hire a bunch of monkeys and

RSS Feed </> Embed