22nd Century Media

2.8
Jack Ryan

Assistant editor at 22CM

I have been working at 22nd Century Media

Pros

Fun environment, serious about quality news production.

Cons

The only complaint is that the company is understaffed so sometimes struggles to find freelance writers and photographers.

Advice to Management

Management is great. Because everyone is so busy it's hard for them to give adequate feedback sometimes, but that's my only complaint.

Small paper; blind managing editor

I worked at 22nd Century Media

Pros

Doing good in the community. A joy be a journalist in small communities

Cons

This workplace is 20something oriented. If you are older than that don't bother expecting to get hired and stay there. Favoritism abounds. Pay per article is low;they pay you when they get to it. HUGE turnover in editors and assist eds.

Advice to Management

Remember your audience is made up of more people than just 0-25. Make sure you have staff to handle that

Looks like Jack is telling his drones to fill this out

Former Employee - Sales in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros-if you kiss Jack Ryan's behind and are brainless you will do well here. The way they treat the sales staff is despicable and customers are an afterthought.

Cons

Cons-they keep messing with your commissions, will tell you one thing and do another, no true HR Department nor a True 401K. The person who called this a dung heap of a company got it right.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to your employees, quit messing with the commissions. Get a 401k, admit you are a pro republican newspaper.

An awful place to work

I worked at 22nd Century Media

Pros

If you're a young journalist, you can quickly ascend to the rank of editor due to the high turnover. You can also accumulate clips for a future job.

Cons

Too many to list them all. The management quarrels amongst itself and does not know how to actually manage because none of them have worked anywhere else. The company as a whole suffers from a complete lack of experience. As for the staff, the hours are long and salary is pitiful.

Advice to Management

Be less selfish and self-absorbed. They all know the place is not the best to work, and yet they do nothing about it. If management does not evolve and change and try to improve, why should the staff?

A Great Working Relationship

I have been working at 22nd Century Media

Pros

After working for one of the nation's leading daily newspapers for 40 years, for the past three years, I've worked as a free lance writer for the newspapers in Wilmette, Glenview, Northbrook and Winnetka. The editors of these publications are young, talented and energetic. They are a pleasure to work with. In addition to assigning and editing, they write and take pictures. As a result, they are very appreciative of the problems writers occasionally encounter. In covering sports and news for 22nd Century, I've discovered that the editors are known and respected in their respective communities. They're often out and about the way daily newspapers of yesteryear used to be and I think this connection with readers is a very important factor in the success of the newspapers in these communities.

Cons

The compensation is at the lower end of the free lance spectrum.

Advice to Management

Don't meddle. Sure, editors will occasionally make mistakes. So do editors at major daily newspapers and they don't have to multi-task. I was amazed to see a posting describe the office as a pig-sty. That person musn't have seen many newspaper offices because it certainly doesn't describe 22nd Century headquarters in Northbrook. Over the years I've been to dozens of newspaper offices and the Northbrook office is one of the neatest I've seen.

These newspapers care about the community, and the community cares about them.

Former Employee - Editorial
    Former Employee - Editorial

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time

Pros

22CM newspapers have really made an impact in the communities where they're published. Because these papers cover their respective towns better than any other source, readers look forward to receiving their papers in the mail every week—and they actually read them, which is a rarity in print journalism. The editors care about the towns they cover, and they get to know those towns inside and out, really becoming a part of the community.

22CM editors have a hand in every aspect of producing the papers, from planning to photography to proofreading. I worked at this company for almost three years, and during that time my skills and confidence developed exponentially.

Cons

Because they are responsible for so much, the editors have an extremely heavy workload, which compounds the stress and pressure you'd find at any newspaper job.

Advice to Management

If and when possible, hire a couple of extra copy editors or reporters to take on some of the workload.

Great place to jump-start your journalism career

Former Employee - Editorial in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Editorial in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I held every editorial position you can at 22CM over the course of 5 years and had a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I grew exponentially personally and professionally. There is SO much opportunity for advancement for those who work hard. When I left the company, I walked out the door with thousands of bylines, unforgettable experiences and friendships I hope last a lifetime.

Cons

Like any newspaper company, the hours are long and the stress level is high.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, a system where editors can take more time off (and be covered by other staff) would likely reduce turnover.

Learning experience

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place was great for me starting my career in sales. I learned about maintaining relationships and selling in a relatively close community. The actual newspapers are written very well and are loved by most readers. This makes selling advertising in the newspaper easier because I really believe in the product. Goals for success are clearly spelled out and the manager is willing to listen for input from the sales reps. The ad designers do work directly with the sales team, which is nice since we then dont have to deal with an outsourced group for ad copy or copy writting. On a similar note, the editorial staff is accessible and great work with in terms of communicating whats going on in a territory.

Cons

It is a small company that is growing so like anywhere else, there are some hiccups that happen so be adaptable to change. Everyone at the office in terms of management do wear multiple hats and are typically stretched thin. This can lead to delayed feedback for questions you may have. The office setting is a structured open space so there is not much privacy. With the open office layout, there can be a tendancy for office gossip which can be demoralizing but the best way to avoid is to focus on your job.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the employees and dont be afraid to delegate work to the team and hold them accountable. By giving more to them, the management can respomd quicker.

Run Far Away From This Dung Heap of a Media Organization!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck (albeit a small one!)

Cons

Hmmm, where to start. There are so many cons, and so little space in which to write. First, the management lies to its employees. Second, the "managers" (I use this term loosely) are terrible! You have one manager who screams and shouts obscenities across the open room and then stomps over to your desk to scream and verbally abuse you some more. Thirdly, you have another manager who is so disorganized and ADD-like that he never gets anything done and people are then left hanging. Customers are an afterthought here. Poor follow through on the part of some sales reps, yet nothing is done with these people. I'd think twice before plopping down my advertising money with these bird cage lining rags!! I'm not sure how they stay in business. Poor, crappy follow through with all the management as well. This place allows employees to have meltdowns and screaming matches with people with no repercussions. This dung heap is a revolving door of people.....they fire people without just cause at the drop of a hat. If you enjoy being abused, not getting commissions paid on time or even your questions answered or phone calls returned, then by all means work here. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and stay far, far away.

Advice to Management

Here's a novel idea! How about hiring and keeping managers with actual management experience? The children, I mean managers, there now couldn't manage to find their way out of a paper bag if they wanted to! Also, perhaps start holding ALL people accountable and stop playing favorites (i.e. sleeping with the boss). This place is an HR nightmare, if they actually had an HR department. Also, how about the editors actually PROOFREADING their copy before it goes to publication? Many a time they have story jumps that lead to nowhere, 2 different stories combined into one, and horrible grammar! It was quite embarrassing to say I worked there with such shoddy publications!

Good product, Bad leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The little hyper-local newspapers are a great source for local news. Over all it could be a good product and business model.

Cons

The turn over at the company is beyond crazy. The salaries are horrible unless you work in the Northbrook office. It s disorganized at best. The office is dirty and cluttered. The benefit package is bad and expensive. The management team is young and inexperienced. One manager is yelling and using foul language while the other is so disorganized that questions go unanswered. They do not take responsibility for their own mistakes, rather heep it on to those who do the grunt work.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the top management and bring qualified people in. Clean up the office as it is disgusting. Pay a decent salary and qualified people will be interested. Give respect to the work force and they will work hard.

RSS Feed </> Embed