22nd Century Media

Jack Ryan
1 Rating

A Great Working Relationship

I have been working at 22nd Century Media

Pros

After working for one of the nation's leading daily newspapers for 40 years, for the past three years, I've worked as a free lance writer for the newspapers in Wilmette, Glenview, Northbrook and Winnetka. The editors of these publications are young, talented and energetic. They are a pleasure to work with. In addition to assigning and editing, they write and take pictures. As a result, they are very appreciative of the problems writers occasionally encounter. In covering sports and news for 22nd Century, I've discovered that the editors are known and respected in their respective communities. They're often out and about the way daily newspapers of yesteryear used to be and I think this connection with readers is a very important factor in the success of the newspapers in these communities.

Cons

The compensation is at the lower end of the free lance spectrum.

Don't meddle. Sure, editors will occasionally make mistakes. So do editors at major daily newspapers and they don't have to multi-task. I was amazed to see a posting describe the office as a pig-sty. That person musn't have seen many newspaper offices because it certainly doesn't describe 22nd Century headquarters in Northbrook. Over the years I've been to dozens of newspaper offices and the Northbrook office is one of the neatest I've seen.

An "old school" newsroom culture, battle for market dominance and winning editorial formula make this a great workplace.

Current Employee - Writer  in  Wilmette, IL
    Current Employee - Writer in Wilmette, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

After 20 years as a reporter and newsroom executive at daily papers in Boston and Chicago, and ten years as the executive editor of the Pioneer Press’s North Shore papers, I can honestly say I am very proud to be spending my post-retirement years as a freelance writer for 22nd Century Media’s North Shore weeklies. Week-in, week-out, the papers competently and attractively offer what the competition doesn’t. That is: a comprehensive package of hyper-local news, features, sports, arts, even long-form obituaries, which no other weeklies offer. To my eyes, it’s all made possible by an “old school” newsroom culture built around youthful enthusiasm, impressive skill sets, steady professionalism, collegiality and competitive fire.

Cons

Every page of every newspaper ever written cold be nit-picked. Others can take on that task.

Stay true to your overarching philosophy -- that the residents of affluent towns generally like where they live, feel good about their community, and will value a truly local paper that shares that respect. And only hire staff that buy into that attitude.

These newspapers care about the community, and the community cares about them.

Former Employee - Editorial
    Former Employee - Editorial

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time

Pros

22CM newspapers have really made an impact in the communities where they're published. Because these papers cover their respective towns better than any other source, readers look forward to receiving their papers in the mail every week—and they actually read them, which is a rarity in print journalism. The editors care about the towns they cover, and they get to know those towns inside and out, really becoming a part of the community.

22CM editors have a hand in every aspect of producing the papers, from planning to photography to proofreading. I worked at this company for almost three years, and during that time my skills and confidence developed exponentially.

Cons

Because they are responsible for so much, the editors have an extremely heavy workload, which compounds the stress and pressure you'd find at any newspaper job.

If and when possible, hire a couple of extra copy editors or reporters to take on some of the workload.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to jump-start your journalism career

Former Employee - Editorial  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Editorial in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I held every editorial position you can at 22CM over the course of 5 years and had a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I grew exponentially personally and professionally. There is SO much opportunity for advancement for those who work hard. When I left the company, I walked out the door with thousands of bylines, unforgettable experiences and friendships I hope last a lifetime.

Cons

Like any newspaper company, the hours are long and the stress level is high.

As the company grows, a system where editors can take more time off (and be covered by other staff) would likely reduce turnover.

Learning experience

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This place was great for me starting my career in sales. I learned about maintaining relationships and selling in a relatively close community. The actual newspapers are written very well and are loved by most readers. This makes selling advertising in the newspaper easier because I really believe in the product. Goals for success are clearly spelled out and the manager is willing to listen for input from the sales reps. The ad designers do work directly with the sales team, which is nice since we then dont have to deal with an outsourced group for ad copy or copy writting. On a similar note, the editorial staff is accessible and great work with in terms of communicating whats going on in a territory.

Cons

It is a small company that is growing so like anywhere else, there are some hiccups that happen so be adaptable to change. Everyone at the office in terms of management do wear multiple hats and are typically stretched thin. This can lead to delayed feedback for questions you may have. The office setting is a structured open space so there is not much privacy. With the open office layout, there can be a tendancy for office gossip which can be demoralizing but the best way to avoid is to focus on your job.

Continue to listen to the employees and dont be afraid to delegate work to the team and hold them accountable. By giving more to them, the management can respomd quicker.

Run Far Away From This Dung Heap of a Media Organization!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I worked at 22nd Century Media full-time

Pros

It was a paycheck (albeit a small one!)

Cons

Hmmm, where to start. There are so many cons, and so little space in which to write. First, the management lies to its employees. Second, the "managers" (I use this term loosely) are terrible! You have one manager who screams and shouts obscenities across the open room and then stomps over to your desk to scream and verbally abuse you some more. Thirdly, you have another manager who is so disorganized and ADD-like that he never gets anything done and people are then left hanging. Customers are an afterthought here. Poor follow through on the part of some sales reps, yet nothing is done with these people. I'd think twice before plopping down my advertising money with these bird cage lining rags!! I'm not sure how they stay in business. Poor, crappy follow through with all the management as well. This place allows employees to have meltdowns and screaming matches with people with no repercussions. This dung heap is a revolving door of people.....they fire people without just cause at the drop of a hat. If you enjoy being abused, not getting commissions paid on time or even your questions answered or phone calls returned, then by all means work here. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and stay far, far away.

Here's a novel idea! How about hiring and keeping managers with actual management experience? The children, I mean managers, there now couldn't manage to find their way out of a paper bag if they wanted to! Also, perhaps start holding ALL people accountable and stop playing favorites (i.e. sleeping with the boss). This place is an HR nightmare, if they actually had an HR department. Also, how about the editors actually PROOFREADING their copy before it goes to publication? Many a time they have story jumps that lead to nowhere, 2 different stories combined into one, and horrible grammar! It was quite embarrassing to say I worked there with such shoddy publications!

Good product, Bad leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at 22nd Century Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The little hyper-local newspapers are a great source for local news. Over all it could be a good product and business model.

Cons

The turn over at the company is beyond crazy. The salaries are horrible unless you work in the Northbrook office. It s disorganized at best. The office is dirty and cluttered. The benefit package is bad and expensive. The management team is young and inexperienced. One manager is yelling and using foul language while the other is so disorganized that questions go unanswered. They do not take responsibility for their own mistakes, rather heep it on to those who do the grunt work.

Get rid of the top management and bring qualified people in. Clean up the office as it is disgusting. Pay a decent salary and qualified people will be interested. Give respect to the work force and they will work hard.

Worked for 22nd Century Media? Contribute to the Community!