23andMe Reviews

Reset
3.9
Anne Wojcicki

1. Great place to work

I have been working at 23andMe (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, exciting, mission-driven company, lots of transparency about the future of the company. You can see the impact of your work here. Standard Silicon Valley perks.

Cons

There aren't a lot of "levels" to advance through here so people who are into titles might not be happy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. Balance the growth of the company with the wild child attitude that attracted the employees.

2. Can't imagine a better place to work!

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

This company really takes care of their employees. The benefits are amazing: free lunch every day, free Caltrain passes, amazing new dog-friendly office, generous salaries, a Crossfit-style gym with quality fitness instruction and yoga classes...I could go on and on! I especially feel privileged to be working for a company that is really making a difference in the world of healthcare. I love all the little perks at 23andMe. There is a fancy "cheese of the week" that is served with baguette slices at lunch. Great pizza is brought in once a week for dinner. They are starting Happy Hours on the rooftop terrace (which has a bocce ball court and gorgeous landscaping!) on Fridays. The entire company gets jackets around the holidays (our last ones were from Patagonia). I can't say enough good things about 23andMe and I'm constantly bragging to my friends and family!

Cons

I don't see this as a con, but it is a fast-paced, agile work environment and you are expected to work and problem-solve independently. Everything is documented, reviewed, and tested. Some people may not thrive in that situation.

3. Smart coworkers and amazing perks

Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A lot of smart and passionate people to work with; it's hard to find a workplace with such highly qualified individuals. Everybody I work with/around is very passionate about building great products. - Great perks from free snack/food, Yoga classes, fitness trainers, to rooftop happy hours. - Great long term business plan with the recent announcement of the therapeutics group. -Brand new office in Downtown Mountain View with amazing rooftop garden, and across the street access to Caltrain station.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing great job, and always remember that the product should be the biggest priority.

5. Amazing workplace and industry leader

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

- Inspiring and game-changing mission with a substantiated business model - More willing to invest in young talent than most biotechs - Respectful, intelligent, fun-loving colleagues/managers - People with whom I have worked genuinely love their jobs and give you their full attention and effort. I've worked in an environment with hard workers before, but it makes all the difference when they actually love what they do - Balanced lifestyle, which in my opinion is driven by our CEO. She values family, fitness, and fun - all of which are reflected in our company culture - Quality. The company does not cheap out on food catering, company swag, or company events/venues - Beautiful new office with multiple levels and rooftop deck on Castro St in Mountain View

Cons

- Promotion or career advancement is unclear

Company needs to be more transparent

I have been working at 23andMe full-time

Pros

We are in an amazing industry within such an interesting space. There are some high quality individual contributors.

Cons

This company is not transparent. They hire directors without giving any notice, or input from the team they will be managing. There are more directors and "boss titles" than there are individual contributors, making it feel like a large corporate company.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

An exceptional place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Highly skilled and passionate colleagues * Motivating work with a meaningful mission toward improving understanding of the human genome * The ability to engage in meaningful research on the largest database of genotyped and phenotyped individuals in the world * Exciting opportunities in the burgeoning fields of genomics in ancestry and health interpretation

Cons

* Many different potential projects and the rapidly-changing technological and regulatory landscapes sometimes make it difficult to prioritize company goals

You've come a long way baby!

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced Super hot, high profile company Attracts top talent FDA progress Great compensation and pre IPO options Fun, collaborative environment

Cons

Current office is cramped and worn Growing very fast so lots zigs and zags in short terms plans Cutting edge business, selling genetic information directly to consumers, so still carries start up risks

Advice to Management

Stick to the path, you are leading huge change Try to limit distractions and stay focused on priorities

I love coming to work everyday!

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At 23andMe everyone is genuinely happy and excited to be a part of this company. Each employee is passionate about the work he or she does here. I have worked in environments where staff members complain about and dread coming to work. At 23andMe I hear employees sing praises about almost every aspect of working here from the on-boarding process to the food we are served at lunch. Also, it is clear that 23andMe makes a huge effort to ensure that all the department interact with each other.

Cons

23andMe is a startup and we are rapidly growing! That being said, right now we are a little crammed for space (i.e. there is a shortage of conference rooms, dining tables, kitchen space, and even personal space) but that is only because our new building is currently under construction.

Amazing

I have been working at 23andMe (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture with strong core values. I've seen them pass on hiring strong technical candidates in favor of people with lesser experience that fit their culture. 23andMe although now a midsized company still feels a lot like a start up. The amenities such as free drinks, food, onsite gym, flexible work hours among many others are just an added bonus. Overall great place to work!

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

Best environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No matter what area of the company, colleagues tend to be *highly* talented and capable in what they do. People tend to be almost over-qualified (educationally) for their job titles, with JDs, PhDs, MDs, MBAs, etc. spread throughout all the different divisions (and often where you wouldn't expect them). My observation has been that management takes its time in hiring the best of the best, and then follows with a hands-off approach to trust that those they hire are motivated and capable.

Cons

Because the organization is so flat, it's been hard for me to make out what a career path might look like over the coming years. That may or may not be an issue though.

RSS Feed </> Embed