23andMe Reviews

3.7
Anne Wojcicki

1. An exceptional place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Highly skilled and passionate colleagues
    * Motivating work with a meaningful mission toward improving understanding of the human genome
    * The ability to engage in meaningful research on the largest database of genotyped and phenotyped individuals in the world
    * Exciting opportunities in the burgeoning fields of genomics in ancestry and health interpretation

Cons

* Many different potential projects and the rapidly-changing technological and regulatory landscapes sometimes make it difficult to prioritize company goals

You've come a long way baby!

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced
    Super hot, high profile company
    Attracts top talent
    FDA progress
    Great compensation and pre IPO options
    Fun, collaborative environment

Cons

Current office is cramped and worn
    Growing very fast so lots zigs and zags in short terms plans
    Cutting edge business, selling genetic information directly to consumers, so still carries start up risks

Advice to Management

Stick to the path, you are leading huge change
    Try to limit distractions and stay focused on priorities

I love coming to work everyday!

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At 23andMe everyone is genuinely happy and excited to be a part of this company. Each employee is passionate about the work he or she does here. I have worked in environments where staff members complain about and dread coming to work. At 23andMe I hear employees sing praises about almost every aspect of working here from the on-boarding process to the food we are served at lunch. Also, it is clear that 23andMe makes a huge effort to ensure that all the department interact with each other.

Cons

23andMe is a startup and we are rapidly growing! That being said, right now we are a little crammed for space (i.e. there is a shortage of conference rooms, dining tables, kitchen space, and even personal space) but that is only because our new building is currently under construction.

Amazing

I have been working at 23andMe (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture with strong core values. I've seen them pass on hiring strong technical candidates in favor of people with lesser experience that fit their culture. 23andMe although now a midsized company still feels a lot like a start up. The amenities such as free drinks, food, onsite gym, flexible work hours among many others are just an added bonus. Overall great place to work!

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind.

Amazing company

Former Contractor - Interaction/Visual Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Contractor - Interaction/Visual Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, snacks, very positive and great upper management. Openwork environment. Good work-life balance. LOVE the PUPPY friendly atmosphere.

Cons

If you're a contractor or part timer, be prepared to be excluded.

Best environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at 23andMe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No matter what area of the company, colleagues tend to be *highly* talented and capable in what they do. People tend to be almost over-qualified (educationally) for their job titles, with JDs, PhDs, MDs, MBAs, etc. spread throughout all the different divisions (and often where you wouldn't expect them). My observation has been that management takes its time in hiring the best of the best, and then follows with a hands-off approach to trust that those they hire are motivated and capable.

Cons

Because the organization is so flat, it's been hard for me to make out what a career path might look like over the coming years. That may or may not be an issue though.

Terrible Place to Work

I worked at 23andMe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Do interesting work at the cutting edge of science, technology and society.
    Meet people who are passionate about what they do.
    Flexible hours and good work/life balance.

Cons

No support from management.
    No career development.
    Nepotism is rampant, if you don't already have a sponsor in the executive team, don't bother joining the company.
    No rewards for good work done.
    A lot of inexperienced employees who think they are still working in academia.
    Lack of a clear business model.
    Scientists are valued above all other employees.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people who work at the company and recognize good work done.

Insensitive and cold Hr Department

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA

I worked at 23andMe

Pros

Flexible Hours
    Growing Industry
    Close to Free Way
    Great shuttle

Cons

Brief Training
    Poor communication from management
    Let go for no reason with no warning five days before Christmas

Advice to Management

Offer more intense training.
    Don't have a potential employee go through a rigorous hiring process only to decide you don't need their position after all after one week.

Great Culture and People, but decisions made on the fly and change constantly

I worked at 23andMe

Pros

People!! Benefits Product Pioneering new industry

Cons

Decisions about positions change on the fly and that can affect people already hired

Advice to Management

Be more transparent

Loved Working There!

I worked at 23andMe

Pros

- 23andMe is trying to fundamentally alter health care to improve care and outcomes, and they have a real shot at doing it. Who wouldn't want to be a part of making that happen?

- You get to work with exceptionally talented people. It raises everyone's game.

- Great benefits and a workplace that is highly accommodating to needs and personal preferences. I will admit I packed on a few extra pounds from the free food, but had I made better use of the exercise facilities and services that needn't have happened.

- 23andMe is an increasingly recognizable brand and it's not only been very valuable to me professionally to have worked there, but also the source of many fun and stimulating conversations.

- What 23andMe does is disruptive to several flawed but entrenched fields (ex. inefficient models of funding and misaligned incentives in academic research) and that isn't always easy but it is the future and you get to experience that from the inside. Perhaps I'm not typical in viewing that as a perk, but I do!

- It's a start-up, and that means lots of opportunity. In my two years at 23andMe I worked on numerous exciting and worthwhile projects and had a chance to participate in or observe activities in all departments and at all levels. Some have shared concerns about the way decisions were made at the leadership level, but my experience was one of being highly empowered and encouraged to take even more ownership over the current shape and future direction of the projects I managed.

- Lastly, I do want to mention that I can understand why some of the other reviewers would rate their overall experiences as poor, but think it's important to note that not all work environments are a good fit for everyone. In my two years at 23andMe, there were some employees for whom it was not a great fit. They all eventually left; not all left voluntarily. While it's not fun to experience reductions in force, I think it's a very important thing for a company to be willing and able to do, when necessary.

Cons

- It's a small start-up and that means that there is little in the way of middle management. For those who are comfortable working independently and don't need or want to spend a lot of time on performance feedback and career planning this might not be a con, but if you are not one of those people, 23andMe might not be a great fit (nor would many start-up companies).

- Genetics in general and DTC genetics in particular is an incredibly fast-paced, at times volatile industry. If you're someone who doesn't like surprises, likes setting and adhering to long-term plans and would be very frustrated if a project you were working on was tabled, then no, this might not be your ideal work environment. On the flip side, it's always relevant and never boring. Never.

- 23andMe doesn't hold all of the keys to its own success and it's most definitely a riskier industry than many others. It is subject to intense scrutiny and there are people who would like to see it fail.

Advice to Management

Re-hire me when I finish grad school!

More seriously, there is a big discrepancy between the actual progress and accomplishments of the company and the general awareness of those advances by the public. It would behoove you to think of more ways to share how far you've come in terms of the amount of data in an account, the interactive tools available to understand and engage with your data, and the research accomplishments -- both evidence in support of your research model and the novel discoveries you've made.

Also, it will be very important to figure out how to lower the financial barrier to entry as I've met countless people who would love to be customers but for whom the price of the service is still too high.