24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Reset
3.4
24 Hour Fitness CEO Mark Smith
Mark Smith

Pros
  • The saving grace about my experience at 24 was the free gym membership (in 164 reviews)

• The best perk is a free gym membership (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • For such a large company, it is surprising that most of the employees are paid minimum wage (in 29 reviews)

• Some of the upper management didn't seem qualified to run a large corporation (in 24 reviews)

1. Love it!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers in a fitness environment .

Cons

Some late nights, but still not bad.

2. Great place to start!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting clients here is like shooting fish in a barrel. Membership sales just keeps sending new opportunities right to you! Great coaching by management to help with personal training sales skills.

Cons

Management was consistently pushing for more hours of availability, but I remained steadfast to my personal limit in order to maintain my health and fitness.

Advice to Management

Personal trainers must be wary of overworking themselves and then not having enough attention to focus on providing the best client experience they can...but overall, great work environment. Keep it up!

3. Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great if your a people person

Cons

none...just be positive as much as possible

Advice to Management

Great job management for hiring me

5. SR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness (Less than a year)

Pros

It's ok for a high school job free membership and discounts on products

Cons

Minimum wage hard to move up

Advice to Management

Pay more so you can keep your employees

General manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros are the members, helping to change lives and be surrounded by health conscious people

Cons

General managers have zero work life balance and are faced with the fear tactic in order to push you and the team to sell. Very little support and development from upper management. The only thing they can't about is sales.

7. Good company for a single person.

Former Employee - Personal Trainer III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer III in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of potential to grow with the company. They make sure people are properly trained.

Cons

Because the gym is 24 hours it requires you to have a flexible schedule. Unfortunately, they've lost good employees because their schedule can't adjust.

8. Lacking in operations and management

Current Contractor - Group Exercise Instructor in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Contractor - Group Exercise Instructor in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free membership, compensation for CEU's and continuous learning

Cons

Group X is an absolute joke. There is one manager for the entire region, and that is insufficient to say the least. Lack of communication or follow through.

Advice to Management

Get more group X managers, because there are MANY instructors in this region (at least 400) and one manager to 400 people, with 20+ clubs in a 50 mile radius is unacceptable. You will lose the good quality people that you have left. COMMUNICATE with the team-- including the GroupX fitness instructors. Lack of communication is LETHAL.

9. Inconsistent and Cheap

Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Members, friendships, free membership for a day of work.

Cons

Lack of communication, ever changing club managers, high turn over, little pay for so much work, no hours, drama, being cursed out constantly by members, excuses for items not being repaired in a timely manner, unnecessary stress, no talent development, no real room for advancement, no career opportunity.

Advice to Management

Invest in your facilities and staff and I promise you'll make more money

10. Love the fitness environment, staff and guest are friendly.

Current Employee - Service Representative in Friendswood, TX
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Friendswood, TX

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fitness Environment Positive energy Laid back

Cons

Big turnaround Not enough hours Too many part time employees

Cut-throat company with unethical practices and no empathy for employees regardless of tenure.

Former Employee - Fitness Manager III in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Fitness Manager III in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was hired as an FM III, which paid a great salary plus bonuses. I received full benefits and PTO. Met some great people throughout my 8+ years with the company. They used to offer continuing education, workshops, and great employee discounts.

Cons

If you want to get promoted or even stay employed, it’s vital you partake in the “Leader Led” behaviors promoted by 24 Hour Fitness. My Club Manager (CM) has been recognized on National Newsletters and District Conference calls time and time again for being a prime example of these behaviors. With that being said, I would now like to illustrate what I witnessed since he arrived at my location: · The CM enjoys avoiding responsibility for anything that happens in the club that is negative and taking credit for any success we had in the fitness, membership, and service department. In other words, point the finger at the people who work for you when something goes wrong, but take all the credit if you reach or exceed budget. As the District Manager (DM) stated, “The Power of One”. This demonstrates the Leadership Competency of Set Direction. · The CM did not process PARS, Bio’s or do any administrative work when the club didn’t have an SM for over 3 weeks. This resulted in employees not getting paid properly, supplies not being ordered, and delayed new employees from getting hired. The CM likes to blame it on a faulty computer error. · The CM made sure to bring his iPad or iPhone into the club to watch “Bad Grandpa” and “Two Guns” during his shift during the week and especially if he had to work on a Saturday. However, the DM was only aware of the CM's good behavior. Therefore, the CM would be praised for ‘working’ on a Saturday and be recognized for all of his hard work via conference calls. This would be the Leadership Competency Lead with Passion. · The CM didn’t introduce himself to various team members for several months. He made sure to only approach team members when he needed something or wanted to see what they would be selling for the day. Also, and this is vital, he stressed the concept of “Do NOT train and develop your staff because it’s a waste of time”. You could be, “Selling a membership”. This demonstrates Building a Great Team. · The CM made sure to sell at least 5-6 Intro 5 Packs to members who were not really interested in training at the beginning of the month. This allowed him to reach the counselor fitness budget very quickly and it helped to decrease the Active Client Count in the Fitness Department. It was at this point that he was able to boast during conference calls about how he hit the CF goal quickly, but would then coast in that area the rest of the month. This is an excellent way to demonstrate the Leadership Competency Innovate. · The CM made sure he was (and still currently is) the DM’s “Puppet” by running the play every month even though the play might not be effective for that particular club or the entire district. The CM would rather see the club miss goal, but “run the play”, than hit goal and be innovative. Making sure the play was ran definitely got him recognized. · To sum these key tactics up, he made sure to put all administrative work, training, development, and talking to members and staff aside so he could “sell, sell, sell” as the DM would phrase it. · Finally, and most importantly, “Take Decisive Action” was demonstrated by giving out Final Warning CAR’s to staff with no prior infractions. He was ready to FIRE his employees if they hit their goals every month, asked any questions, or didn’t agree with everything he said because it was, “HIS club, HIS staff, and HIS culture will be implemented in every department”. I was told in my final two months, the ONLY thing I was allowed to do was walk on the floor and book New Member Sessions (NMS). PERIOD. I was clearly instructed NOT to call our new members, the backlog, the inactive clients, or past clients. My ONLY responsibility was booking NMS off the floor, selling them training, and passing clients off to the staff. According to our PT Coaches Playbook, there were numerous ways to sell new business, but the CM’s “Play” was the only thing that mattered. If I did anything other than what he instructed, I was being "insubordinate". The DM and the CM took away the tools that had made me successful in the past, as evidenced by me winning Regional and District FM Personal Production contests months before this CM came to our club. At this point, my job was nearly impossible to succeed at and I was set up for failure. In closing, time is more valuable than money. I can never get back the 9 years of hard work I dedicated to 24 Hour Fitness. The only thing that kept me with the company is my team that I deeply cared about. Every action I took was for the best interest of my staff and I hope this is apparent by the letters of recommendation, client testimonials and my club and personal production numbers. The most detrimental aspect of this situation was the mental stress placed on me by my Area Director / District Manager, my District HR Representative and my Club Manager telling me I was not a good leader, I was inadequate, and I should leave. If they would have been honest and said they were cutting costs and could no longer afford keeping me on the payroll or offered me another position, I would not be writing this review. I've always been transparent and honest with people in my life. I thought it would be beneficial for people to know exactly how this company operates and how disposable I was after I dedicated several years of my life to changing people’s lives, helping the company reach their mission, and fulfilling my obligation and duty as a Fitness Manager III, Assistant Fitness Manager, and Master Trainer.

Advice to Management

Get out while you still can. I've had close colleagues get fired in a similar fashion to me after spending 10-15 years of their life with the company. Instead of being transparent they will lead you to believe you aren't performing well, find a reason to give you a corrective action, and fire you on the spot. This is to avoid paying you any severance or unemployment benefits. Worst of all it reflects badly on your resume and you can't use them as a reference. I left 24 back in 2010 and they recruited me back in 2013. I had a great job at a private facility making very good money, but they promised me the World when recruiting me, only to fire me less than a year later. Keep in mind, I hit goal 7 out of my 8 last months there and had the best track record of any FM in that club's history. This was when they were in the process of selling the company and were looking for ways to cut costs. There is a tremendous amount of politics involved and regardless of how hard you work if you're not brown nosing the DM good luck on getting promoted.

RSS Feed </> Embed