24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership and discounts on merchandise"
    in 127 reviews
  • "Helping people improve their lives, flexibel hours, free gym membership"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average"
    in 25 reviews
  • "I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Forget it, unless you like being under a bus

Facility Technician (Current Employee)

ProsHourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership.

ConsCulture of blame instead of problem solving, huge corporate upheavals with purchase by new ownership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwning mistakes does not mean funding one of your subordinates to blame for them.

Front Desk

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsWith employment here you get a free gym membership. Also, some of the members become your friends which is nice.

ConsThey pay sucks! They are always pushing to sell and sell, not always taking the members into consideration. The management is young, from my experience. with no formal education.

Terrible

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFree gym membership and discount on products

ConsThe amount of work you do there is more than what you are getting paid

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

old membership sales system was slimey

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Prosgave good introduction to direct sales, not so dissimilar to cell phone sales and comcast sales, these were the people who trained me

Consthe sales system incentivized people to hustle members through the process of getting signed up, try to get them to sign up for the full price and drop the price if we have to, not care about customers needs, take advantage of their insecurities to bully them into getting membership/personal training

Advice to Senior Managementits good that this system is gone

It was terrible.

Membership Counslor (Current Employee)

ProsNo Pros for the company

ConsThey made people feel bad about their bodies to get them to buy memberships and I didn't stick around to be apart of that.

sexual abuse

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfree gym membership, sometimes flexible hours

ConsI got sexually harassed verbally DAILY by the male trainers and when i talked to my CM about it, he told me it was my word against his if i was to report it.. IM SORRY WHAT?!

also no incentive (i was membership sales) because its not commission.

Decent job to build a reputation.

Personal Trainer II (Former Employee)

ProsFree gym membership and discounts on merchandise. You get to wear athletic apparel at work and talk to gym members about fitness.

ConsDon't take the time to develop new hires, more of a salesman than a personal trainer, your only part of the "team" if you sale training, sups, etc. Teach you to manipulate and persuade gym members into buying personal training with false info. Little commission on sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop new hires, provide new trainers with clients, and develop a better system for trainers to succeed.

High expectations, LOW pay, NO incentives, NO support

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

ProsFree gym membership, great social environment, good place to build social skills (but that is in any fitness facility).

ConsSales: non-commission based means no incentives to sell, but FORCED to meticulously sell memberships and personal training packages in fear of penalization at the end of the month for not reaching monthly budgets.

Front desk: understaffed, overworked, terrible pay, never trained correctly, and never properly communicated to. Service staff is expected to do all the "dirty work" without neglecting all the rest of their customer services duties.

Management: TERRIBLE. All upper management ignores their duties, steal from the sales team to make themselves look better, don't complete customer service requests so service staff has to deal with their leftover issues, and doesn't listen to what the staff needs. Undermines staff when speaking about club necessities, scheduling, and pay because upper management receives bonus checks for saved payroll, hours, etc, but don't think us "lower" employees know that.

The CEO change over brought a new outlook that WAS based on team member/member satisfaction and customer service to sales and numbers. 24 became more about numbers than us employees and our members. It makes the work environment stressful which is a direct correlation as to why to the entire facility going down hill. When your managers cease to care about you as an employee, you cease to care about how efficient you are at your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementDO YOUR JOBS! Stop putting aside the importance of your role, and abusing your power to be lazy and lounge around.

I would not recommend working at 24 Hour Fitness, Hermosa Beach, to anyone.

Personal Trainer I (Former Employee)
    Hermosa Beach, CA

ProsThe only pro of working at 24 Hour Fitness is the free membership and discounted prices on personal training. It is an easy place to start out as a personal trainer.

Cons24 Hour Fitness is all about making the company money at almost any expense and the upper management acts in accordance to this. As a personal trainer, management pushed sales and only focused on profit, even at the expense of clients. Of course any business needs to make a profit, but 24 Hour Fitness takes this to a whole other level. Employees are constantly pestered to sell more, even if it means extremely long days, little sleep, no time for much outside of work (even if you come on as a part-time employee), or spending extra "personal" time at the gym. On top of all this stress put on employees by management to perform in the numbers department, employees are also not provided a comfortable working environment. The working environment is extremely unprofessional and employees (especially female) are not treated with respect. On top of this, the facilities are subpar in cleanliness and sanitation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to ensure a safe and comfortable working environment for all employees and make sure relations in the work place are professional and respectful.

we are there to sale, not really to help those needing help change their lives through fitness.

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Prosfree membership as an employee

ConsBusiness that tries really hard up-selling products that people don't even need.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 24 Hour Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair. All 423 reviews posted anonymously by 24 Hour Fitness employees.