24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Reset
3.1
24 Hour Fitness CEO Mark Smith
Mark Smith

Pros
  • The saving grace about my experience at 24 was the free gym membership (in 164 reviews)

• The best perk is a free gym membership (in 82 reviews)

Cons
  • For such a large company, it is surprising that most of the employees are paid minimum wage (in 29 reviews)

• Some of the upper management didn't seem qualified to run a large corporation (in 24 reviews)

1. What You Hear and See will NOT be What You get at 24 Hour Fitness!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Opportunity to learn how a large chain fitness club operates in the fitness marketplace.

Cons

What was promised as the training to be provided, the floor time hours as a personal trainer, and the ability to use open door with management to address concerns was not honored by local, district, and corporate senior executive management. Senior field management, district management, and local club management have individually progressed in a culture that abuses employees and expects new employees to accept this culture of promise one thing and deliver another or what can be called "bate and switch.". No Thank You!

Advice to Management

Respond with honesty and integrity to the communication that you receive from employees. Local club management said, yes you are correct this is the way it is. If you want to work here, then accept how it is and you will prosper because you are good at your job and will succeed, even if it means when you are a manager you will be expected to abuse your employees. I sent US Mail Certified mail to the CEO and Senior Managers and the USPS confirmed delivery and I never heard any response. Their silence confirmed their desire for me to give my two weeks notice and depart with no further disturbance by my continued local club discussions.

2. be prepared to have a knife in your back

Former Employee - Service Manager in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Service Manager in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

it is a very fun place to work. you meet a lot of very interesting people. you can gain a lot of connections. it is a very good place to network. you gain a lot of friends that will last with you for a very long time. there are a lot of people that work for 24 Hour fitness that have been there since it was Family fitness. they know a lot and have a lot of insite to how the comapny is going. even though i quit, i really did have some amaxing times working for 24 Hour Fitness.

Cons

it is a very survival of the the ruthless atmosphere. managers are promoted based on selling ability rather than managment skills. it is very hard to get rid of problem employees. the HR departmetn is so super sensitive becasue of the past lawsuites this comapny has had. there is a lot expected of each employee, with compensation atteh very minimum. front desk and kids club is started at min wage, whis in some areas is $6.00 an hour. that is very little comapred to what is expected. the Distrct managers and Regional Vice Presidents which govern most of the promotion rely mostly on work of mouth and not really actual ability. Numbers speak louder than words to the senior managers

Advice to Management

watch your district managers more closely and pay more attention to your field workers.

3. You are always replaceable here

Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Free Gym Membership and meet a lot of great people. I learned a lot about how to not let employers treat you. Although when I first started working here I had learned a lot about business and management was able to grow in the company and be promoted 2 times, they reorganized there management and everything went down hill the last year.

Cons

Like someone had said before, Be prepared to be stabbed in the back. Management does not care about the person you are and how hard you work or how much time you put into the company. You are always replaceable. The managers are take on so much that they are constantly stressed and will take it out on you. Communication is extremely weak in the company. The HR department will do nothing for you, even when sexually harassed they will not terminate the employee that did that. The pay for some positions are pretty good and benefits are good for management, but the other positions are crap pay and unfair. The company only cares about making and saving money. When gym equipment was broken, the roof was leaking, the air conditioner was broken!!! They would not get them fixed or it would take weeks! Then you required to stick of for the company to complaining costumers. Bottom line corporate doesn't give a rats ass about you. Research all the law suits on them, there is many

Advice to Management

Listen and respect your employees. Give them what they deserve. Fix what is broken in your clubs. Hitting goal is a great thing to achieve, but is not the most important thing in running a business. Hire a new HR department that cares and teaches management how to not break employment laws!! how are the law suits and unemployment cases treating you. learn from your mistakes

5. Beware!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

In the line of work I did, the pay was great! Great benefits too. My hours were extremely flexible. I know I had the dream position within the company. The concept of selling a positive way to improve your life was great too. It felt good to be part of a positive movement.

Cons

When they reorganized the company and eliminated positions and departments, it was a big con. Con-sequently, we were out on the street. Upper level individuals did not care about their employees - still don't. The new CEO came in and tried to reinvent the wheel. With that, he destroyed the company's culture, spirit and vision. What a shame!

Advice to Management

Go back to being a sales driven company in which you hire sales people to sell memberships instead of thinking it can all be done on the internet.

6. UnderPaid Treated Poorly

Current Employee - Trainer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Trainer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Hot Girls,Cool People to talk too

Cons

everything,The Job envirment just sucks

Advice to Management

usless

Sales Sales SALES DRIVEN!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

free employee membership nice people to work with

Cons

our main focus was to get guest in the door and DONT LET THEM LEAVE WITHOUT PAYING SOMETHING.

Advice to Management

PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE!!!!!!!!!!

8. They don't give you much of a chance to grow as a trainer

Current Employee - Personal Trainer
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

They feed you people right when you start. They pay you well if you have a lot of certs.

Cons

You don't get a chance to meet new clients. This is because you only get about 6 non session hours and they don't want you on the floor or doing sales meetings with clients unless you are on the clock. I am not sure how you can build your client base with this method. The membership staff are the ones that sell training for the most part and this is not the way to go. New members should meet with trainers not membership staff for the fitness part of the sale. The membership staff will feed people that they like not the people that will get the best results for the client. I have worked at a few gyms and this place is the only one that does it. I walk the floor and will gladly meet people for sales. But they do not give you much of a chance to do that. Also now you don't get paid to sell clients supplements or body buggs.

Advice to Management

My advice to management... Let the trainers sell the package your membership staff might sell 12% of people on the 3 pack but I think trainers could make that number higher. Also maybe if they don't buy a 3 pack a trainer should step in and do a free workout to give them a quick sample of what we can do. This would be smart. Golds, LA fitness and lifetime follow this practice.

Horrible Place to work no room for promotion.

Former Employee - Assistant Membership Manager in Yorba Linda, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Membership Manager in Yorba Linda, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

The only pro to working at 24 Hour Fitness was the fact that as a membership counselor when I began working there, they gave full benefits.

Cons

There were many downsides to working at 24. My job title was assistant membership manager which should have only covered the membership department. However, I was asked to cover operations and even cover for my Club Manager, who by the way was absent at least 5 times a month. During my tenure of six months at the facility, I took a club who was under performing in every category and turned it around in a matter of a month. Along with carrying all other responsibilities, all I asked for was a chance at becoming a membership manager for one of the clubs. They never gave me an opportunity. Instead, they decided to promote three membership counselors who had no experience in management to the position because of their connections with the regional manager, and when I did get an opportunity to interview for a position, they chose an ex-convict over me. I would caution anyone who is considering employment with this company and is interested in moving into management because it is impossible unless you know someone in upper management.

Advice to Management

I would caution them about letting top performers leave the company in favor a those with lesser experience. The biggest disrespect is to have given years of your life with a single company and promised great things only to have your dreams crushed by politics. I wish no harm, but remember to treat your people with respect. After all, it is these people that are on the front lines making your bonuses.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Flexible schedules Interaction with clientele

Cons

Micro-managed Incompetence from senior management Cold calling They focus on selling more than training Even if the client is good enough to work out on his/her own, you must convince them otherwise Need to convince clients to take unnecessary supplements Workers talk bad of clients More of a selling job than personal training They only give you clients if you are friends with the sales team, or apart of the "click" Most importantly, pay is HORRIBLE

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing the workers Pay the trainers more Fix the point of sale system, distribute clients evenly Stop deceiving clients that they need more sessions END COLD CALLS!

It's o.k...

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

The abilility to grow your own business. You get to learn about the fitness industry. It can be a great team environment in which you can learn from other trainers.

Cons

Selling can be extremely challeging & stressful. They should have people do it for you, so you can focus on training. The pay system is aweful. I was really surprised. If you're a good trainer, why would want to work for 24? It's not a good opportunity if your hoping to make money. I get the sense, you need to be more of a salesman rather than trainer.

Advice to Management

Examine the pay scale relative to other gyms in the industry. There are no alot of incentives to work for this company.

RSS Feed </> Embed