24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros:
  • "Free gym membership and discounts on merchandise"
    in 127 reviews
  • "Helping people improve their lives, flexibel hours, free gym membership"
    in 62 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average"
    in 25 reviews
  • "I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Member Counselor (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsFree gym membership
    Fun co-workers
    Paychecks arrive on time
    Upward mobility if you want to move up in the company

ConsHigh pressure sales good without the commission or bonuses that one would expect.
    Sales/assessment metrics need to be refined.
    Corporate spends all of its efforts trying to get people in the doors by promising them free workouts, its your job to get them to purchase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore squat racks.
    Eliminate the entire position by giving free trials only if you put a credit card on file that will automatically charge if it isn't cancelled before the trial period ends. Like every other company that does free trials.

Forget it, unless you like being under a bus

Facility Technician (Current Employee)

ProsHourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership.

ConsCulture of blame instead of problem solving, huge corporate upheavals with purchase by new ownership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwning mistakes does not mean funding one of your subordinates to blame for them.

It was an enjoyable, but minimum wage job.

Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsI was grated all time-off that I requested, friendly fun work environment, always seeing new faces, work around school schedule

Consthe job can be confusing at first since there are a lot of new situations, some of the managers don't like helping you out when you need help, like watching the front desk when changing a TV channel for a member, their EFT setup is horrible...if a credit card expires just before the member's payment date it is a horrible mess to fix

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix the EFT problem, the rule of changing a card 10 days ahead of the payment date is really a big hassle for members and creates a lot of frustration for both the members and employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Their marketing tactics are stuck in the stone age!

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee)

ProsGreat relations you make with members and co workers.

ConsUnorganized management and poor training. If you are not comfortable bugging members for friend referrals or tracking people down on the street to drag them into the gym, which is referred to as (Street Hustle), then stay far away from this position. You would have thought their marketing tactics had progressed since the stone age!

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement sales strategies that actually work.

Front Desk

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee)
    Costa Mesa, CA

ProsWith employment here you get a free gym membership. Also, some of the members become your friends which is nice.

ConsThey pay sucks! They are always pushing to sell and sell, not always taking the members into consideration. The management is young, from my experience. with no formal education.

Lots of work for little pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Membership, fun coworkers, discounts

ConsWhat too much expectations for not enough pay. Management Egos- usually ran by young workers with no management skills. Rude people. Dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your front staff as much as your sales people!

Club manager

Club Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsHelping people attain improved levels of fitness, coaching and teaching team members!

ConsAll about the numbers!!! They say people are important however it is always the numbers!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on people development not nearly metrics and tactics people are any companies greatest resource, make visits and interactions more about people and leadership!

Lots of fun, but you have to be driven to reap the rewards,,,

Membership Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe environment is great. Great colleagues (generally speaking). The feeling of success when goals are met is very rewarding. It's just a good time, it least it has been for me. If you show energy and are a high performer it doesn't take long to get noticed and move up the ladder.

ConsIf you don't like sales, you probably don't want to work here in any Membership, Fitness, or Leadership position. It's not necessarily a con if you're on board, but I know many consider this to be a negative. People are pushed to deliver more and more and it's never enough. It's very "What have you done for me lately?" type of feeling.

Pay. Most people are underpaid, particularly the front line team members. Over the last several years cuts in labor have really made the job difficult. We're now expecting much more from our team members and we aren't compensating properly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back some form of commissions for sales team members. If we really want to get to a higher level we have to create incentive and reward people, not just give folks a pat on the back. That only goes so far.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

24 Hour Fitness is not the place to work if you are looking to make a good paycheck

Personal Trainer III (Former Employee)
    Aurora, CO

ProsThere is a lot of room to move up the corporate ladder or move laterally and gain experience in the fitness industry. It is an organized environment and you can learn a lot from the experience if you really apply yourself.

ConsIt takes quite a bit of time before you can make a decent paycheck. The company is fine with having most of its employees being low-paid students or entry level workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe business model is working as is proven by the success and growth of the company. Individual gyms will stand out only if the "ownership" and "community" values are instilled into each employee by those managing them.

Great place to work while you are in college.

Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee)
    Stockton, CA

ProsThe atmosphere of the clubs are great and friendly. Coworkers all share the same goals and are very positive and motivating within the employee circle as well as the members. Free membership is a good thing.

ConsHigh turnover rate. Managers and supervisors seem to change very often, leaving you feeling like you're only part of a temporary workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit restructuring your management staff. The bottom line is not as important as maintaining a high employee retention rate with people who want to work there.

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 24 Hour Fitness reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair. All 423 reviews posted anonymously by 24 Hour Fitness employees.