24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

24 Hour Fitness CEO Elizabeth Blair

Elizabeth Blair

Pros
  • With employment here you get a free gym membership(in 131 reviews)

• Hourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management positions are replaced almost monthly if a club is below average(in 25 reviews)

• I worked there for years, and the only raise I ever got was when minimum wage went up(in 23 reviews)

Pretty good

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNice people
    work life balance
    benefits
    company values
    you work at a gym you get to work out at a gym
    good looking people at the gym

Conslow pay
    leadership
    compensation
    perks
    unfortunately not much room for career advancement so i left yup
    self centered people because its a gym

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

A GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Fitness Manager I (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA

ProsCompetitive pay, full-time employee benefits, 401K, friendly environment, fun place to work

ConsStress of hitting revenue goals which is at any job managerial overload from paperwork and admin work

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a genuine passion to help see all of your employees become successful. Take care of them and then they will take care of you

Depends on the club

Personal Trainer III (Current Employee)

ProsThe team I work on is great, we're a tight-knit group, and we have fun. My FM cares about my actual training skills.

ConsWhile MY fitness manager cares about my training skills and education level, the company could not care less. All they care about are sales and new business units. They've gotten really stickler-y on non-session hours (2 per week, only), but expect you to somehow bring in all kinds of sales and new business, while trying to be a great trainer. I've actually been told "you're doing really well with time management!" And then, "we need you to bring in new business." In the same 10 minute meeting!

If you enjoy training, and you're good at it, work somewhere else. 24 will only care about the revenue you can provide them, and, if you're good at training, will pressure you into management, even of you're not interested in moving up (because moving up means moving away from actually training people).

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off and let your trainers actually train. At least attempt to hide the money hungry world of corporate. No one wants to feel like an expendable pawn whose only use to make you money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Front Desk Receptionist

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat place to have communication and interaction with people that enjoy fitness and health. They had good training for each position and they provided several ways to learn.

ConsIt was hard to make process and get promotions to better position with better pay. I worked late at night sometimes and safety was always a concern for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay once individual progress and growth is seen.

Slightly better than being unemployed.

Member Counselor (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsFree gym membership
    Fun co-workers
    Paychecks arrive on time
    Upward mobility if you want to move up in the company

ConsHigh pressure sales good without the commission or bonuses that one would expect.
    Sales/assessment metrics need to be refined.
    Corporate spends all of its efforts trying to get people in the doors by promising them free workouts, its your job to get them to purchase.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore squat racks.
    Eliminate the entire position by giving free trials only if you put a credit card on file that will automatically charge if it isn't cancelled before the trial period ends. Like every other company that does free trials.

Forget it, unless you like being under a bus

Facility Technician (Current Employee)

ProsHourly pay is in line with other positions, free gym membership.

ConsCulture of blame instead of problem solving, huge corporate upheavals with purchase by new ownership.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwning mistakes does not mean funding one of your subordinates to blame for them.

It was an enjoyable, but minimum wage job.

Service Representative (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsI was grated all time-off that I requested, friendly fun work environment, always seeing new faces, work around school schedule

Consthe job can be confusing at first since there are a lot of new situations, some of the managers don't like helping you out when you need help, like watching the front desk when changing a TV channel for a member, their EFT setup is horrible...if a credit card expires just before the member's payment date it is a horrible mess to fix

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease fix the EFT problem, the rule of changing a card 10 days ahead of the payment date is really a big hassle for members and creates a lot of frustration for both the members and employees.

Their marketing tactics are stuck in the stone age!

MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR (Former Employee)

ProsGreat relations you make with members and co workers.

ConsUnorganized management and poor training. If you are not comfortable bugging members for friend referrals or tracking people down on the street to drag them into the gym, which is referred to as (Street Hustle), then stay far away from this position. You would have thought their marketing tactics had progressed since the stone age!

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement sales strategies that actually work.

Front Desk

Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsWith employment here you get a free gym membership. Also, some of the members become your friends which is nice.

ConsThey pay sucks! They are always pushing to sell and sell, not always taking the members into consideration. The management is young, from my experience. with no formal education.

Lots of work for little pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Membership, fun coworkers, discounts

ConsWhat too much expectations for not enough pay. Management Egos- usually ran by young workers with no management skills. Rude people. Dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your front staff as much as your sales people!

Worked for 24 Hour Fitness? Contribute to the Community!