24 Hour Fitness

Profile Unclaimed

pros and cons of being a employee at 24HF, FYI I was a membership counselor

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-You get access to any 24 club nationwide.
    -lots of oppurtunity for growth within the company and fast, within a couple months if you follow the advice of management, especially cause the company is rapidly growing.
    -I received lots of great sales training, this could've been cause of the management I had but I learned a lot of great sales techniques that I'm gratefull to have received, and will forever use in any business.
    -Easy to transfer within the company.
    -schedule is somewhat flexible, at least it was for me, although I didn't personally need it to be.

Cons

- NO COMMISSION for counselors, only bonuses for managers, your basically have the same pressure they have to hit numbers without getting the compensation. You have to do all the grunt work so that they make the money: like make an insane amount of cold calls, generate leads from current members by bugging them into giving you the numbers of their friends and family in order to cold call them, walk around the streets trying to get numbers by offering them a 3 day trial.
    -family and friends discounts are almost non-existent, now.
    -low wages even if you have experience, despite the amount of work you do to generate business, have worked for another gym under the same tittle, and they paid me about a thousand more a month without having to do so much of the grunt work, I didn't have to wear dress clothes.
    -if your willing to work for about ten dollars an hour, and are willing to deal with the stress of sales, this job can be great cause you can eventually make manager, but then again you can do the same just working the front desk without the added stress.

COMPENSATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP COUNSELORS

Easy, low stress with even lower pay job

Current Employee - Service Representative in South Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Service Representative in South Florida, FL

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Access to all of their gyms. Opportunity to move within the company or relocate.

Cons

Minimum wage. Not just for my position but trainers get paid didly, assistant managers too.

Not management in general but corporate. People dont last because of low pay. Assistant managers make $9/hr Seriously?

Not a trainer, you're an annoying salesman

Former Employee - Personal Trainer II in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer II in Miami, FL

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Large gyms with a large customer base

Cons

In your face sales, cold calls, chasing numbers nothing to do with clients

Think about more than the sales figures and the actual health and fitness of the everyday gym user

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fontana, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership. some of the coworkers can be really nice to you and train you using their own time

Cons

They just throw you into the water. and the management is really lame. takes forever to get done with the computer training and they expect you to know everything by the time you get out of that training. You can't work more than 5 hour shifts per day. A lot of work and training and doesn't cut out for minimum wage.

they should really take the time to train new employees. You can't expect them to be as good as management. Give them some slack.

Group Fitness Instructor

Former Employee - Group X Instructor in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Group X Instructor in Boulder, CO

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low maintenance job. No meetings, pay on time.

Cons

Awfully fast turnover in club management; different manager every couple of months to the point that i gave up trying to work out who the manager actually was.
    Group fitness room bad condition.

If you pay peanuts you will attract monkeys.

Working in 24 Hour Fitness clubs

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun environment, engaging in customers, full-filled life styles, healthy. Good growth.

Cons

Bad management at times. Can be very "click" ish in Dallas corporate office. Can be black balled if you do not go with say so.

Sometimes un-supportive. Pay for around the clock duties not on scale for all jobs.

Gym Membership Sales

Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in Rohnert Park, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent Sales training
    Free Gym Membership for you and 1 other person
    Not a very stressful environment

Cons

No commission
    Hours vary and schedule changes week to week

Have better plan for rates and specials. Customers expect to get one rate but the rate is always fluctuating and there were different specials running all the time that was confusing for customers.

great place to learn about the fitness industry

Former Employee - Club Manager
    Former Employee - Club Manager

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

structured onboarding program. great company vision that is clearly communicated

Cons

inconsistent alignment with the company vision

survey team members on ground truth of their experience

Was a fantastic company for many years but has gone "down hill" dramatically in recent years.

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Still a decent place to work, especially for those passionate about fitness. Pay can be surprisingly good at management level and beyond. Opportunities for advancement are good, predicated primarily on performance (though politics are often present), and is especially attractive for those that have no formal college education. Benefits are still decent and the company is continuing to grow. Education, training and systems are decent.

Cons

Company, at hands of CEO Elizabeth Blair, began to put dollars ahead of employees and members, thus in the past few years went from "best of the best" to questionable in sales practices, professionalism, employee engagement, and member service. Turnover has become horrible as employees continue to lose jobs based on unfair performance management: promoted or fired based solely on performance to a budget (often poorly created and arbitrary) versus actual, verifiable performance.

Get back to taking care of employees and customers--the reputation and profits will return. Treat people well-- fairly, and with respect-- and not just based on an arbitrary budget number.

Management didn't care.

Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant
    Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supervisor and Club Manager were nice and patient with me while I was getting the hang of things.

Cons

Management didn't back me up when trouble would arise with parents. I was left to look like the bad guy. They played favorites. A child hurt another child in the Kids Club and management is supposed to suspend the child for bad behavior. They didn't do that because they were friends with the child's parents. A bunch of BS!!

Support your employees! Also, actually follow company policy.