24 Hour Fitness Reviews

1 Rating

1. Trainer

Former Employee - Fitness Instructor/Consultant in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Fitness Instructor/Consultant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and good pay

Cons

Split shifts. Sometimes it was difficult to get new clients. The managers can be pushy to have you get more training sessions.

pros and cons of being a employee at 24HF, FYI I was a membership counselor

Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - MEMBERSHIP COUNSELOR in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get access to any 24 club nationwide.
    -lots of oppurtunity for growth within the company and fast, within a couple months if you follow the advice of management, especially cause the company is rapidly growing.
    -I received lots of great sales training, this could've been cause of the management I had but I learned a lot of great sales techniques that I'm gratefull to have received, and will forever use in any business.
    -Easy to transfer within the company.
    -schedule is somewhat flexible, at least it was for me, although I didn't personally need it to be.

Cons

- NO COMMISSION for counselors, only bonuses for managers, your basically have the same pressure they have to hit numbers without getting the compensation. You have to do all the grunt work so that they make the money: like make an insane amount of cold calls, generate leads from current members by bugging them into giving you the numbers of their friends and family in order to cold call them, walk around the streets trying to get numbers by offering them a 3 day trial.
    -family and friends discounts are almost non-existent, now.
    -low wages even if you have experience, despite the amount of work you do to generate business, have worked for another gym under the same tittle, and they paid me about a thousand more a month without having to do so much of the grunt work, I didn't have to wear dress clothes.
    -if your willing to work for about ten dollars an hour, and are willing to deal with the stress of sales, this job can be great cause you can eventually make manager, but then again you can do the same just working the front desk without the added stress.

Advice to Management

COMPENSATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP COUNSELORS

3. Over worked, under paid, under valued.

Current Employee - Service Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Service Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness

Pros

Coworkers are nice, fun atmosphere!

Cons

Poorly paid, company is a sinking ship, high turn over, bonus decreases, new owners hire externals instead of promoting within. Unrealistic workload expectations, high stress, your job no matter your title: sell memberships that have hidden annual fees and dues increases! Basically, mislead people all day long.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can, they don't appreciate you!

5. Too many management changes!

Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Kids Club Attendant in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun job, cute kids, great co-workers, flexible schedules, and a relaxed environment.

Cons

Low pay, lots of management, rules, and schedule changes.

Advice to Management

Try to not move around mangers as much, it puts off employees when the rules and regulations always change.

Decent company from corporate stand point, but still needs improvement.

Former Employee - Fitness Manager, Assistant Fitness Manager, Master Trainer in San Marcos, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Number one: The clientele. Some of the best people I've had the please to work with, both professionally and on a personal basis. To clairify this, the professional relationships I built lasted for years (not typical for most staff to retain clients for 5-6 years consistently). After helping to change lives to the extent i had to opportunity to, was a truely satisfying experience. Helping clients through divorces and many types of negative experiences, losing 40-80 lbs not only changed their lives from a physical stand point, but on a confidence and psycological level was truly profound. I even attended several weddings, as my clients and I formed those type of realationships.
    The management could be hit and miss, however, there were often changes and if one didn't exacly "get along" with the mgt., as a trainer one is primarily left to manage one's own business. As long as one the trainer was productive, meaning one hit/ exceeded sales numbers you were left alone to manger your clientele. It was a lesson as in which one could learn to be an independent business owner.

Cons

Work life balance: Dependent on how much personal time you were willing to sacrifice. My biggest complaint was how much I was charging my clients ($70/ hour) compared to how much my maximum I could earn ($23/hr plus up to 25% commission on peronal training sales). Taking into account a 40 hour work week (training actual clients), which is pretty hard to accomplish and $8,000/mo in sales (taxed as bonus 39.5%) max gross was $5,680 with a net. So, net was $1,210 (@39.5% TR) + $2,760 (@25% TR) = $4,020.
    However, to do this, actually training 40hr/s wk means, having to book 50-60 hrs/wk due to cancellations etc. This is considering one is one is a Master Trainer (a bachelors, three nationally recognized certificatons, and over 5,000 training hours), not to mention the sacrifice of personal time. So, work/life balance if one is to pull max pay as a seasoned, dedicated trainer is virtually non-exhistent. This is a good job, not career, unless one has minimum of a bachelors, which is essential to making it into management and making a real salary, anywhere b/w 80-120k. Assuming as managemnet, one maximizes staff peroemance bonuses. If one is young, single, and willing to sacrifice a great deal of time its a gratifiying personal experice changing lives, litrerally. But supporting a family as a trainer....nope.
    If not training i.e. starting a clientele, vacation, and sick pay $8.25/hour (MINIMUM WAGE). So plainly, unless one is willing to take a significant pay cut for the time off, these benefits afforded to almost every other profession are non-existent.
    The culture on the surface if high energy and very friendly, to ensure sales a customer satisfation in this highly service oriented business. However, underneath it's an extremely competitive industry, dog eat dog, and lets face it; its business and to really trust anyone is a mistake!! My advice take care of your business, don't worry about what everyone else is doing and take care of one's clients at all cost, because other staff had and will undermine one's business given the chance. You control and are expected to manage one's business, which is a great life lesson.

Advice to Management

This advice is for upeer managemnet; when considering sustaining quaity human capital. Pay the staff what they are worth. Paying top quality a max (gross pay of $35.50) @ 40 hrs 23.00/ hr + $2,000 = $5,680/ 160 is absoluty rediculious. After leaving the company to obtain a degree in finance, this is an extremely poor business model. Which is what one learns how to do as a finance major. Breaking down financial analytics and making business consulting advice. To create long-term sustainable training profits, the company should pay their quality staff more than 50% (at maximum) for a service (keeping their facilities open) they provide for members who don't pay for training and never will. The company earns 1/2 of what the trainers work their rear-ends for and the company doesn't pay for education etc. except for everyonce in a while, they'll provide NASM cerifications. For which they have, or did have, agreements with.
    Not taking anything away from NASM, it's a great company and from my experience had/ have been at the fore front of training. Introducing functional training, which now is common place in the industry. Used to train for injury prevention, as post rehad, weight loss, muscle gain, improve sports performance for everyday people to elite sports athletes. One of the most positive moves the company had made to sontribute to the industry.

7. Great company for great performers

Current Employee - Fitness Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Fitness Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are paid on performance. Fun place to work, never boring

Cons

frequent change in management, superiors are fired often producing a sense of fear that trickles down.

Advice to Management

Perform well and you will do fine. This isn't a clock in clock out 40hrs per week type job.

8. LOTS o room for growth, compensation lacks a bit...

Current Employee - Membership Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth and tons of development! Leadership team is very much involved with the team!

Cons

Compensation for the job is a bit lacking. sales type job, but no commission is paid.

9. Member Service Center/ Corporate

Former Employee - Member Service Center in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Member Service Center in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and high energy environment

Cons

No loyalty on behalf of the company, no development or on-boarding/training/coaching.

Advice to Management

Dont be so quick to let knowledge, experience and commitment go. Cultivate and work with people to grow your business rather than a sink or swim policy.

Hated new management

Former Employee - Kids Club/Service Representative in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Kids Club/Service Representative in Escondido, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liked working for the kids in the kids club and had a great relationship with the parents. Easy and fun job. Free gym membership!

Cons

Always traded mangers around, no job advancement, no praise for good job, only punishment for mistakes, low hourly pay without raises for long term employees.

Advice to Management

Praise more, complain less, more recognition for loyal employees

11. Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Escondido, CA

I worked at 24 Hour Fitness part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free membership for all gyms.

Cons

low pay, extremely easy, communication poorly