2U Reviews

Reset
3.8
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Pros
  • 2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture (in 12 reviews)

• Lax atmosphere with great people to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can also be a challenge (in 6 reviews)

• Certain growing pains that need to be managed carefully to ensure on-going success (in 5 reviews)

1. Great company

Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, worthy cause, growing fast

Cons

work/life balance struggles, the programs are expensive. more needs to be done to be accessible to more people seeking to further their education

Advice to Management

Chill a bit

Great place to make friends but not a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission that 2U has is awesome. They help people all over the world achieve their goals and dreams through amazing educational opportunities. Fun trips to places like Disney World for the company retreat. Great work environment if your a hard worker and can be available outside of work hours. Very easy to make friends. Good work environment if your single and like to drink.

Cons

Policies are not clearly defined to employees so phrases like lean towards yes can create yes men and women that become passive and follow management even if they are wrong. Promotions are only offered to a select group of employees. Often amazing employees leave because it was the only way they could advance their careers. Work life balance depends on your manager and department. If employees don't drink the kool aid they can be let go from the company.

Advice to Management

It's great to bring in qualified talent but don't do it in a way that drives away the talented people that you already have. Offer promotions to employees that are qualified for them not just people that you like.

3. Admissions Counselor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

Pros

Culture, work-life balance, leadership, flexibility,

Cons

Monotony, Sales environment, irregular hours

UPDATE- Trials and tribulations of a growing company

Current Employee - Currently Employee in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Currently Employee in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is decent- I love the team I work with. I enjoy going to work everyday to be with my co-workers. 2U provides snacks and soda in all the break rooms. The company meeting is always amazing. Its a growing company so there are opportunities for advancement. CEO is very visual and has an open door policy. 2U is close to a 1000 person business-the fact that Chip will open his calendar to anyone is pretty spectacular.

Cons

I previously wrote, "2u has grown exponentially since its inception. There have been challenges to overcome, the experience has not always ideal. However, every challenge and obstacle faced, a learning opportunity was created. This company offers opportunities to anyone who is willing to work hard. Put your head down and work, and you will be rewarded." Update- after several years of continued hard work and bringing in top numbers, I have yet to be promoted. Although I enjoy my work, I have started looking elsewhere because I don’t think a promotion is going to happen with 2U. It has become very clear that the most important factor in career advancement is popularity status with upper management. It is with a sad heart that I close this chapter with hopes of opening a new one with more opportunity.

Advice to Management

Promoting based on "likability" does not create a diverse management team or a supportive, nurturing environment where employee development happens. 2U has to have more 20 year old VP's and Directors then most other companies in this country.

Lots of inspiration without a ton of freedom

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Most people are passionate and bring that with them to work every day -Mission-driven culture where you feel a sense of importance -Snacks -Company meeting is awesome!

Cons

-Bit heavy on the kool aid -There are a lot of managers who only know how to tell you to do your job instead of trying to rid your environment of obstacles that can make it hard to work in the first place -Promotions are very political -The company has become very process-heavy as it has grown, which has limited a lot of freedom -Snacks (death by sugar)

Advice to Management

We're a team, not a family. Don't reward loyalty if it's going to hurt the company. Offer generous severance packages to those who helped in the early stages of the company's growth but who are no longer fit to lead in the present environment. Management also needs a better way to gauge and get feedback from all levels of the organization. That way people unfit to be a part of the team are weeded out.

Good place

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Landover, MD
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U as an intern

Pros

Great work life balance. People let you do what you want.

Cons

No food places nearby. Everyday for lunch you either have to drive 10-15 mins or eat at subway.

Full of energy and passion -- sometimes almost too much

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Culture: every day is dress down day, free snacks, extremely easy to make friends, Company Meeting - Flexibility: most departments/supervisors are flexible when it comes to making your work/life balance up to your standards - Emergence in the space: in a good position to dominate the online higher education space - Technology: truly one-of-a-kind (for now) - People: everyone seems to get along really well and it's a very young, energetic environment full of (mostly) hard workers

Cons

- Work/life balance is almost TOO good: difficult to separate personal life from work at times - Promotions: not all come to those who deserve them (this happens in probably every company in the world) - Lack of standardization: across departments and even across programs within departments

Advice to Management

Standardization would go a long way in helping streamline everything. Company has come a long way and it undoubtedly trending in the right direction. Keep promoting those who deserve it.

I worked in various roles in marketing.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It can be a fun place to work. You'll get to experience a lot of different roles/job functions. There are good people there. People who passionate about their work. Even if it's over the top, that's nice to see. Good place to start a career in marketing because you'll be exposed to a lot. A relexed dress code. The MD office often has sing a longs and other quirky events. You get to go to Disney World and get drunk. If you get to work in the NYC office or visit it, it's really nice.

Cons

A lot of staff members have inflated titles. They tend to promote individuals before they're ready. As other posts mentioned, there are a lot of 20 something's with VP titles. This is great for the individual, but often they aren't ready to lead a team. Many times the individual is still learning the job. The people that do have more experience aren't the best leaders. They just happen to be the oldest in a company dominated by a young crowd. There are exceptions to this, but it's a common theme. The tech team has an amazing opportunity, but can't seem to get their act together. No offense to those still there, but the talent that has left is superior to the talent remains. They've lost a lot of good people. 2U claims to be about education, but they aren't doing anything different from what other online programs are doing. They're just good at marketing (really good). They're not really an Ed tech company. They're a marketing company in the education field.

Advice to Management

Target more people with 10+ years experience. Look for people who have concrete experience in the field (not Washington lobbyists). You have an amazing opportunity, don't blow it before everyone finds out. Shape up your Ed tech software, put your leaders through training.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, fun atmosphere, and a general united desire to better our students and do right by our university partners. There is a lot of room for growth, and management recognizes success objectively. If you do well, you will move up.

Cons

The kool-aid can be a little strong at times, but it is genuine and honest.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin on

Not a fun place to work if you are a person of color.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

Pros

The snacks were good. That is all.

Cons

Not much upward mobility if you are a person of color. During my time there, I counted two in middle management and NONE at the senior management level. I stood back and watched as many people of color were passed over for promotions that were given to younger less experienced people. It's disgusting. I am surprised no one has spoken up about it. Everyone there operated in lockstep. If you do not act like or look like them, then you are vilified. You can also be fired for ANYTHING at ANYTIME. One of my co-workers got fired simply because the new manager did not like him. He was a productive employee who always met his quotas - he was also a man of color. Again, surprised no one has brought this to anyone's attention. After many years of being passed over, I decided to leave for a better job, which ended up being a promotion for me. I would give this place 0 stars if there was an option for it.

Advice to Management

Diversity: learn what it is. Try to implement it.

RSS Feed </> Embed