2U Reviews

121 reviews filtered by
4.1
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Pros
  • 2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture (in 12 reviews)

• this is a place where great people are doing great things (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on what program you work for, there can be little to no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains are inevitable with a rapidly expanding, young company (in 5 reviews)

1. Couldn't have asked for a better internship

Current Intern - Intern in Landover, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I couldn't have asked for a better team to work with. They are constantly giving both positive feedback and constructive criticism to help me grow as an employee with company. Although I am only an intern at this point, it is very clear that my team values my work.

Cons

Expectations and guidance could be more clearly set at times.

Make time to get to know your interns and let them know that you're here to help them in any way possible.

Content Producer, Freelance

Current Freelancer - Content Producer, Content Reviewer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Content Producer, Content Reviewer in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U (more than a year)

Pros

Overall I've had a great experience with 2U. I started working freelance as a content producer and have recently joined the content review team. Great pay, flexible work commitment, ability to work remotely, plus the opportunity to be constantly learning new things.

Cons

The cons are the cons of working freelance generally. It's hard to predict what any given week will look like, and there is the occasional dry spell.

3. Good place to intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at 2U

Pros

Really flat organizational hierarchy, very cool co-workers, fully stocked fridge

Cons

Not a lot of direction, okay salary

5. A great place to work

Current Freelancer - Content Developer (Or Builder) in Durham, NC
    Current Freelancer - Content Developer (Or Builder) in Durham, NC

I have been working at 2U (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work as a content builder. These jobs are freelance jobs at 2U.I have never worked at a place where I could have such a flexible schedule. The pay is great and the people I work for are very accessible and easy to talk to. Whenever I have questions about my work, or how I am being evaluated, I get a very fast and in-depth response.

Cons

I live in a place (geographically) where there are just not a lot of full-time 2U jobs available. I wish they would let some of us remote freelancers come on board as full-time employees.

Open up some producer jobs in the greater Research Triangle area. Also, let us know further ahead of time what the outlook is for freelance hours.

Awesome support staff, consistently engaging work.

Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, learn new skills while working every day, diligently communicative support staff, positive environment.

Cons

Downside of any contract position, really: lack of benefits. But that's freelancing.

7. Can't beat getting paid to learn something new every day!

Current Contractor - Content Reviewer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Reviewer in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly staff, lots of support, quick answer turnaround, engaging and varied content to review.

Cons

If you require in-person human contact, this job isn't for you. Freelancing remotely can be isolating but 2U actually does a good job of making me feel part of the team. We have video chats and full-timers are always available and you end up forming a rapport with them as if you were down the hall.

Start Meetups for freelancers to socialize and share tips.

8. It's kinda like Dr. Seuss' Sneetches: There are those who have stars, and those whom do not.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

It's genuinely a "fun" company: Work Hard. Play Hard. More likely than not, your pay will be at or above the market. You'll likely find a friend, or several, at work. If the opportunity manifests itself, there's tremendous personal growth to be obtained.

Cons

Sometimes that "fun" is contradictory to the productivity expected. Depending on your position, the expectations can be quite unrealistic - expect LONG hours to be compulsory, and even longer hours to be the norm. Policies, including the infamous "no a--hole" policy, are purposefully vague. Promotions are not given following any codified metric. Vacation and Sick-Leave are lumped together as "PTO" and not rolled-over from year to year.

Put your ear to the ground - get out of your bubble.

Great up and coming company.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, cool environment. Very casual. Free snacks and coffee. Supportive management. Great training.

Cons

The company talks themselves up a lot. They definitely overdue it. 100+ calls a day. And youre trying to reach a quota thats an awkward product to sell. Location is terrible.

10. Great culture for specific employees

I have been working at 2U

Pros

Flexible schedule, paid time off, work from home

Cons

Very cliquey, nepotism, limited growth opportunities among certain teams

Ego maniacs run the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Some really energetic people

Cons

- Each department and area seems to function differently, but there was serious sloppy leadership under Student Services (ego driven, passive aggressive - "leaders" who don't actually lead).
    - Although the environment is very casual and youthful, there was a lack of professionalism throughout the company (drinking
    - A very odd and creepy obsession with the CEO - they push this on you hard. If you don't conform, you probably won't be liked.

Get off your high horse and handle the ego problem. It goes a long way.