2U Reviews

124 reviews filtered by
4.0
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Pros
  • 2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture (in 12 reviews)

• this is a place where great people are doing great things (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on what program you work for, there can be little to no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains are inevitable with a rapidly expanding, young company (in 5 reviews)

1. Memorable, Educational and Everlasting.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyattsville, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, vibrant place to work. Full of life with a great group of supportive peers.

Cons

It can be volatile, meaning people come and people go. If you do not perform you can be on the chopping block.

An honest review. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work here as an Admissions Counselor. This is a great place to start out either right out of college or if you only have one or two years of work experience. The salary is decent, there are free snacks and coffee. 28 days off your first year including PTO and holidays. You will get two pay raises a year, up to 4% depending on your team sales. They aren't allowed to compensate based on performance because it's education sales, so this is how the legal team figured they could get around it. You will notice a lot of that with this company: barely skirting the law and keeping things very vague and borderline doing things they should definitely not be doing. You are expected to work overtime including weekends, but at least it's paid.

Cons

Now it's time to get real. This is a sales job and you are expected to hit very aggressive targets. The office is essentially an open floor call center. People are constantly getting sick and passing around colds, mostly because of the open floor plan but also because your sick days are the same as your PTO days so everyone comes in sick. The management is young and immature, and promotions are based on favoritism. If you want to move up in the company be prepared to be the biggest brown noser you can possibly be. Promotions are not based on how hard you work or if you are qualified, you have to be BFFs and kiss your bosses feet everyday and pray they like you enough. Even if you are promoted you still have to hit your targets and pull leads, that never changes unless you get all the way to Director. You are expected to make 75-100 calls a day, calling the same leads up to 15+ times until they finally pick up the phone and scream at you to stop. This is a call center sales company masquerading as a tech ed company, but really they just bought rights to Adobe Connect and partner up with struggling universities to use their name and cram as many students as they can into the programs they can't afford abusing the federal government loan and military tuition assistance systems. The company is growing fast- which is good and bad. At least 15 new people start every week and they add on 4 or 5 new programs a year, they seem to be compromising quantity for quality.

Advice to Management

Promote based on work ethic and performance, not by choosing your BFF or whoever is willing to shamelessly kiss up to you to cover up for the fact that they are actually pretty bad at their job. Stop adding on new programs and actually pay attention to the ones you are building out now and can barely maintain. The CEO needs to get back in the office and whip this circus into shape, the company lacks maturity and tries way to hard to be hip and needs to get back to focusing on the important things. Don't just try to cram as many students as possible into a program, focus on finding ones that are the right fit and aren't going to drop out halfway through, default on their student loans and cause a whole other financial mess like the one in 2008.

3. Student Services Coordinator

I have been working at 2U part-time

Pros

Manager for part-timers cares about employees. Flexible schedule. Great pay

Cons

Communication between different schools is lacking. Me first mentality.

Couldn't have asked for a better internship

Current Intern - Intern in Landover, MD
    Current Intern - Intern in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I couldn't have asked for a better team to work with. They are constantly giving both positive feedback and constructive criticism to help me grow as an employee with company. Although I am only an intern at this point, it is very clear that my team values my work.

Cons

Expectations and guidance could be more clearly set at times.

Advice to Management

Make time to get to know your interns and let them know that you're here to help them in any way possible.

Favoritism and cliques almost everywhere

I have been working at 2U

Pros

I have found some great friends here, there are lots of wonderful people working for this company.

Cons

Where do I start? Long hours, the pay is not competitive, lousy vacation and maternity policy, old office with elevators that break at least once a week and if you're not friends with management your chances of getting rewarded for your work or promoted are close to zero. Most people are friends with their co-workers outside of work so the borders between work and play are often rather vague. It's like you're in high school all over again. Very limited and poorly delivered training.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, invest in them and then they will want to do all they can to contribute.
    Figure out a humane vacation policy.
    Focus on the fact that this company has gotten big and serious, all this immature stuff that you pride on promoting, doesn't serve you well.
    Create clear and transparent development and promotion policies because now you are allowing people who are friends with the right people to advance.

Content Producer, Freelance

Current Freelancer - Content Producer, Content Reviewer in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Content Producer, Content Reviewer in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U (More than a year)

Pros

Overall I've had a great experience with 2U. I started working freelance as a content producer and have recently joined the content review team. Great pay, flexible work commitment, ability to work remotely, plus the opportunity to be constantly learning new things.

Cons

The cons are the cons of working freelance generally. It's hard to predict what any given week will look like, and there is the occasional dry spell.

8. Good place to intern

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at 2U

Pros

Really flat organizational hierarchy, very cool co-workers, fully stocked fridge

Cons

Not a lot of direction, okay salary

9. A great place to work

Current Freelancer - Content Developer (Or Builder) in Durham, NC
    Current Freelancer - Content Developer (Or Builder) in Durham, NC

I have been working at 2U (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work as a content builder. These jobs are freelance jobs at 2U.I have never worked at a place where I could have such a flexible schedule. The pay is great and the people I work for are very accessible and easy to talk to. Whenever I have questions about my work, or how I am being evaluated, I get a very fast and in-depth response.

Cons

I live in a place (geographically) where there are just not a lot of full-time 2U jobs available. I wish they would let some of us remote freelancers come on board as full-time employees.

Advice to Management

Open up some producer jobs in the greater Research Triangle area. Also, let us know further ahead of time what the outlook is for freelance hours.

Awesome support staff, consistently engaging work.

Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, learn new skills while working every day, diligently communicative support staff, positive environment.

Cons

Downside of any contract position, really: lack of benefits. But that's freelancing.

It's kinda like Dr. Seuss' Sneetches: There are those who have stars, and those whom do not.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

It's genuinely a "fun" company: Work Hard. Play Hard. More likely than not, your pay will be at or above the market. You'll likely find a friend, or several, at work. If the opportunity manifests itself, there's tremendous personal growth to be obtained.

Cons

Sometimes that "fun" is contradictory to the productivity expected. Depending on your position, the expectations can be quite unrealistic - expect LONG hours to be compulsory, and even longer hours to be the norm. Policies, including the infamous "no a--hole" policy, are purposefully vague. Promotions are not given following any codified metric. Vacation and Sick-Leave are lumped together as "PTO" and not rolled-over from year to year.

Advice to Management

Put your ear to the ground - get out of your bubble.