2U

Updated February 28, 2015
4.0

2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Pros
  • 2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture (in 12 reviews)

• this is a place where great people are doing great things (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Depending on what program you work for, there can be little to no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Growing pains are inevitable with a rapidly expanding, young company (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome support staff, consistently engaging work.

Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Builder, Quality Control Team in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Make your own hours, learn new skills while working every day, diligently communicative support staff, positive environment.

Cons

Downside of any contract position, really: lack of benefits. But that's freelancing.

Fast Growing and Comfortable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I have been working at 2U

Pros

The workforce is young. I work with a team thats members are mostly in their twenties and young thirties, so there is a very collegiate atmosphere. The company is new and recently had its IPO, so promotions are rapid. Very easy place to work. Happy hours on fridays and always pot lucks and food.

Cons

You almost have to start as a salesperson, or "admission counselor." Not until you have gone through the ropes can you move up. This involves cold calling.

Can't beat getting paid to learn something new every day!

Current Contractor - Content Reviewer in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Content Reviewer in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly staff, lots of support, quick answer turnaround, engaging and varied content to review.

Cons

If you require in-person human contact, this job isn't for you. Freelancing remotely can be isolating but 2U actually does a good job of making me feel part of the team. We have video chats and full-timers are always available and you end up forming a rapport with them as if you were down the hall.

Start Meetups for freelancers to socialize and share tips.

Great work environment

I worked at 2U

Pros

very fun work environment, dress casual, happy hours

Cons

start out as sales basically, cold calling

It is kind of the opportunity of a lifetime

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

2U is a great company that is really hitting its stride. New opportunities, new university partnerships, and an opportunity to really impact the lives of students across the country and around the world. And there are great opportunities to learn and grow within a culture that's unlike anything I've experienced before.

Cons

To do well at 2U, you have to work hard and you have to want to succeed and to grow. This isn't the place where new opportunities are handed to you just because you've worked here for a while. This can frustrate some people.

Keep focusing on culture and communication.

Ego maniacs run the company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Landover, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Some really energetic people

Cons

- Each department and area seems to function differently, but there was serious sloppy leadership under Student Services (ego driven, passive aggressive - "leaders" who don't actually lead).
    - Although the environment is very casual and youthful, there was a lack of professionalism throughout the company (drinking
    - A very odd and creepy obsession with the CEO - they push this on you hard. If you don't conform, you probably won't be liked.

Get off your high horse and handle the ego problem. It goes a long way.

Great culture for specific employees

I have been working at 2U

Pros

Flexible schedule, paid time off, work from home

Cons

Very cliquey, nepotism, limited growth opportunities among certain teams

Wildly mixed experience (freelance)

Current Contractor - Content Builder
    Current Contractor - Content Builder

I have been working at 2U as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

For starters, the wages are quite good, QUITE good. Also, most of the people I've dealt with have been very friendly and helpful. The company encourages the asking of questions and they really, really mean it, which gives you a sense that they're very focused on improving your skills and want you to feel as if you can approach them about anything.

Cons

While they'e generous with the wages, they're also somewhat generous with your time in regards to how long, or rather how short, a time assignments are supposed to take. This is a minor quibble, because even if you end up having to eat some time because an assignment takes longer than it "should", you still end up being paid a good wage. The real problem lies in inconsistency. A memo was recently sent out indicating that those who had been working for them for a while should, by now, know what the "2U way" is. Given the myriad of conflicting directions I've been given over time (I've literally lost count) in which Person A says to do something the 'A' way and Person B says to do it the 'B' way, I couldn't honestly tell you what the '2U way' is. This problem springs mostly from the 'reviewers', ex-content builders who have moved up to reviewing the work of others. Work that gets you high marks from one reviewer may get you excoriated by another. You may approach something in a certain way for multiple assignments and hear nothing negative about it from four consecutive reviewers only to have the fifth tell you've made some sort of collosal blunder. Another memo was recently issued concerning widespread complaints about this sort of inconsistency. so hopefully it is being addressed, but it can be very maddening. A job where all one has to do is follow the instructions can be, depending on the circumstances, exactly what you need, but when those instructions appear to be fluid from one individual to another, it becomes exactly what you don't need.

Either open up the boundaries of what constitutes good content (one would think the reason they hire writers and editors to do this work, as I was told they do, would be for the individual skills those people can bring) or set down a very explicit set of rules and make sure that everyone involved knows EXACTLY what they are, to the letter.

Greatest company I've had the pleasure of working for.

I have been working at 2U

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity for advancement, making a difference, close-knit workplace, ethical

Cons

I have no cons that I can think of.

Keep on keeping on

It was an experience

I worked at 2U

Pros

Relaxed environment, wear jeans to work

Cons

PTO, all days are included in your 12 days. No maternity leave