2U

2U Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek

Chip Paucek

Pros
  • 2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture (in 12 reviews)

• Dress code is basically "be appropriate for the occasion" so if you're just around at your desk all day, you can be comfortable in jeans (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can also be a challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Whenever problems arise, they blame it on the company's growing pains (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Couldn't have asked for a better start to my career

Senior Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Great product / You'll be proud of what you're building
    - Industry Respect - Working for 2U is prestigious in the industry. Not something to take for granted
    - A lot of fun - Many of my coworkers were my best friends. Amazing environment for a young pro
    - Senior leadership cares - Always felt like I could talk to Sr. leadership all the way up to the CEO
    - Growth - They continue to grow, you'll never be worried about the outlook of the company

ConsNot many cons but the culture has changed over the last couple of years. Felt more corporate towards the end of my time there. There's also a bit too much of a commitment to strategies that don't work on the marketing side.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what got you here. Don't forget how important culture and employee empowerment is.

Mission, Environment, Upward Mobility

ProsThis company offers employees very unique opportunities to grow and prosper. I'm doing things with this company that I never thought I would, but always hopped for. You truly do get out what you put in.

ConsThe only challenge in working at 2U is the geographical area. A sub-zero winter in not attractive to me, but the company and co-workers make that small sacrifice well worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe better your team does - the better you do. Continue to encourage everyone's professional growth.

Great company vision, even better CEO

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee) Landover, MD

Pros- GREAT company culture (jeans to work, snacks and drinks available, spontaneous dance parties)
    - Good vision and directon
    - Great people
    - Fantastic CEO

Cons- Office politics seem to determine promotions (happens at lots of places, I know)
    - Sometimes tough to get noticed

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the right people are put in leadership positions so that others can succeed, not just because they have "good numbers"

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Admissions Intern

Admissions Intern (Current Employee) Landover, MD

ProsGreat company culture, casual dress, lots of snacks, etc. Chip Paucek is THE MAN. Great CEO. Tons of potential for promotion within the company.

ConsGrowing quickly, so tend to be a little bit unorganized. I moved frequently when I worked there, they don't always have room for people, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhip the HR department into shape. They aren't very responsive and it sort of delays things as a whole when that is a problem.

If you are applying for the admissions counselor position please run this is a sales job

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsIt's a fun company.they have happy hours company trips and a casual environment. They are also growing which is very exciting.

ConsThis company is extremely unfair and biased towards their employees. The sales team gives unrealistic goals and leads that are unqualified and are impossible to convert. For this company to have a no a******* policy this company sure did have a few of them especially with the managers. They are start up and still don't have any guidelines set in place. They don't tell you that you will get fired for not hitting your goals without any warning it's all a trick. They will fire you midway through the quarter and not let you have a chance to hit your numbers.They make it seem like you are a real admissions counselor when you get hired but this is just inside sales position. If you do not want to be in sales please run away from this position. A lot of the teams are very close knit. The company is not very welcoming to new comers as well. this is why they are biased.On the sales team if you are new you are compared to your peers most of the time that have been there longer and have bigger pipelines. This is an unfair disadvantage. There is no prospecting you are given a batch of leads and cannot prospect on your own if you do not convert those leads your manager will be on your case constantly. They they do this since the company pays for their own leads. So even if your leads are unqualified and cannot be converted you are out of luck and will possibly lose your job. They are very quick to hire people however they are very quick to fire you if you're not hitting your numbers and converting leads on the sales floor.Just know this company will fire you if you're not hitting your numbers. There is no ramp. So if you're not hitting your numbers from jump like the rest of the floor who have been there longer you are again out of luck.If you do not want to be on the phone and do not want to do sales please run away this is not the type of position or the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs more training for new hires. New hires on the sales team should not be compared with the rest the If people are not hitting their numbers there needs to be some effective plan in place to help them get there they should not be fired midway to the quarter without getting a chance to hit their numbers.

Well-meaning but disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone on staff is pleasant enough to work with and seem to understand why freelancers would get frustrated with them. I don't work in the office so I can't speak for that environment.

ConsAs a freelance worker, I find it hard to get an idea of what they want. Their communication is all over the place. They will overload you with work, then when you drop other commitments to give them more time, the work dries up. Very frustrating. Very little positive feedback: you hear nothing unless you've done something wrong.

Very different in a very good way

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Landover, MD

ProsExtremely smart people, energetic collaborative atmosphere, amazing product with a solid vision behind it, great CEO and senior management team.

ConsComing out of entrepreneur stage into public life. Certain growing pains that need to be managed carefully to ensure on-going success.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to leverage energy, excitement and responsibility to ensure sound operational structure.

Great company with strong mission and awesome people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Landover, MD

ProsIn addition to the casual office environment (flip flops, anyone?), there are hundreds of friendly and talented people in all stages of their careers. Many coworkers are also friends outside of work. It doesn't matter how young you are--hard work is rewarded here and you can move up quickly if you're the right fit.

ConsHaving so many bright young people means lots of energy but also lots of inexperience. Sometimes people who have never supervised become managers with little training, which isn't fair to them or their direct reports. Work-life balance can also be a challenge. The company is growing so quickly that many teams find themselves understaffed at some point.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in stellar training and professional development. You have smart people who will make it worth your while. Also, make sure department heads stand up to each other so no team gets shortchanged on resources.

Work here

ProsVery professional team, Supportive senior management, Good compensation, Great company vision

ConsAs company grows very fast not all business processes are updated properly

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong team, passionate mission focus, healthy professional learning environment and mentorship.

ConsTransition from startup to larger company has allowed some more traditional corporate feel to slip in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Maybe look at what other large tech companies have done to keep the startup energy.

Worked for 2U? Contribute to the Community!