2U

2U Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek

Chip Paucek

Pros:
  • "2U sticks to their 'no-asshole' policy by hiring the right people for the company culture"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Dress code is basically "be appropriate for the occasion" so if you're just around at your desk all day, you can be comfortable in jeans"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too many long hours, no work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance are not amazing all the time - everyone works long hours and sometimes too often"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work here

I have been working at 2U full-time

ProsVery professional team, Supportive senior management, Good compensation, Great company vision

ConsAs company grows very fast not all business processes are updated properly

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 2U as an intern

ProsStrong team, passionate mission focus, healthy professional learning environment and mentorship.

ConsTransition from startup to larger company has allowed some more traditional corporate feel to slip in.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Maybe look at what other large tech companies have done to keep the startup energy.

Opportunity

I have been working at 2U full-time

ProsOpportunities for advancement: the company is growing fast and has consistent turnover, so there are lots of opportunities to advance. People are nice, and the executive team is full of reliable mentors. Great place to grow.

ConsThe office location sucks. Very skimpy bonuses, 2-5% of pay. Halfway decent 401k matching.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe office location sucks. If you're going to have such a terrible location, at least make the office nice (it's not nice). Not enough bathrooms either.

Dynamic, young and definitely with a good future

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Prosif you want to be exposed to the future of education, that's the place to be.
company culture is great
it is a fun place to work at and very dynamic, things can change within seconds

Consbenefits - low number of vacation days
each business division is kind of its own little company and there are no standards across divisions, everybody operates differently

Advice to Senior Managementreinforce standards and continue being an inspiration to your subordinates.

Incredible company

Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh energy, intelligent staff across all programs. Amazing top leadership. Tremendous potential for success.

ConsRapid growth startup may not be a good fit for people who like predictability and a clean desk at the end of the day. Mid-level managers typically learning on the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more value to documented experience than youthful potential when considering candidates for promotion. The top salespeople often don't make the best managers.

Some Good, Some Bad

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros- the company culture is great, they really do care about having a positive place to work
- lots of transparency from upper management, you always knew where the company was heading, and often times why
- lots of innovation
- compensation was competitive

Cons- the company often is very "siloed', the type of cross-pollination often necessary between departments seemed lacking
- quality of middle-management seems hit or miss
- HR practices sometimes seemed to hold back people more than enable
- Quality of communication from management was often poor
- Sales-position tactics used by management seemed out of sync with the reality of the jobs AC's do

Advice to Senior Management- Promote based on merit AND if the person has leadership potential
- If you want people to do sales-work, hire actual salespeople

It's an OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 2U

ProsThe company environment is very relaxed (wearing jeans, happy hours/parties etc.) It's a good company for recent college grads. It is in a good location (highway/metro accessible).

ConsThe pay is ok. It does not match the amount of work expected to complete. Poor communication and poor management. Management allows personal relationships to manage departments. Poor work distribution. The benefits are the bare minimum. Promotions are scarce, but are handed out to people who have good "personal" relationships with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting bad managers.

Good if its your first Job out of College.

IT Support (Former Employee)

I worked at 2U full-time for more than a year

ProsThey give you catered lunches about twice a week, and they have pretty good benefits.

ConsThere are too many "clicks". Upper level management promotes their friends who they bring into the company rather then the people who work hard. Also the pay is a little low and could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote employees based of merit, rather then your personal friendships.

Positive apprenticeship

Web Developer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at 2U as an intern for less than a year

ProsDynamic, engaging, exciting, growing, engaging

ConsNo feedback was provided during apprenticeship

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide feedback and/or constructive criticism

An inspiring professional experience -- chance of a lifetime!

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA great mission, amazing co-workers, a senior leadership team that cares, and an amazing product that is changing lives.

ConsThere really aren't a lot of cons. Its an intense work environment, which may not work for all, but for people who are ready to roll up sleeves and make things happen, it is an amazing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the transparency that has been a hallmark of company culture. And great job by the facilities team re-energizing the Landover office.

Worked for 2U? Contribute to the Community!

2U Videos

2U – Why Work for Us?

2U, Inc., is an education technology company that partners with top colleges and universities around the world to bring their degree programs and credit-bearing courses online. Founded by educational technology… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 2U reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 2U CEO Chip Paucek. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by 2U employees.