3 Day Blinds

3 Day Blinds Reviews

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015

Dave Hall

A growing company that really gives you every opportunity to succeed

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company give you free: Tablet/laptop,Smart Phone with free wifi, Printer,Really pretty color marketing material
    5 Weeks of paid training. If you have to travel to train, they pay for hotels, cars,food. If you commute they still pay for your gas.The training is really good. We go through hard window treatments as well as drapery. We also were trained on how to give a quote inside the home. We also had dedicated sales training days. After training we had a 3 day blinds employee help us on our first few appointments so we had plenty of support because we were new.
    This company is growing. The appointments are given to us. That's awesome! They company allows us to get our own leads and pays us better money if we close our own leads.
    Don't listen to the stupidity below regarding "never get 10%" That's just not true. You always get 10%. The amount of revenue you bring is reduced (because you gave a bigger discount) but you still get 10%. And I am sorry but last time I checked you have to earn your money, not simply demand it. Yes you have to follow up with customers, that's so you can close the sale if you couldn't sell in the home. You have to finalize orders and push them into production. Hello! that means you got the sale! why would anyone complain about getting the sale and literally hitting 2 buttons to send it into production. If you do have a couple of errors, the company does research it, they speak with the installers and they let you know by email and ask if you to provide documentation in the research. Our manager goes to bat for us if we can prove it was not our fault. If it is your fault then you own it and eventually it falls off your record. You still get paid bonus every month and still get 10% commission.

Cons

A company that grows can have growing pains. They are several new design consultants and it takes time for them to get their legs underneath them. They are not priced as low as Home Depot or Lowes, but when you actually see the products and understand the difference it makes sense. We are not as cheap as Home Depot, but not as expensive as Hunter Douglas. We fall into the middle. If you want a cut down product that will warp in a year, go ahead and go to a big box. If you want a custom product that will last decades, call me.

Continue to invest in really good products, apps for smart phones would be great. Get rid of the negative people who are just complainers who want everything done for them and keep the people who want to work hard to make a great living.

Great Place To Work With Great People

Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ability to work independently as well as with a team
    Endless growth potential
    Great mentors
    Everyone is there to help everyone, from the sales team to the CEO.
    Set you up with all the tools to be successful

Cons

Only challenge is I work in a growing market so the company generated appointments fluctuate, thankfully we can generate our own appointments to keep busy.

Keep doing what you are doing, I enjoy getting up and going to work everyday. When you truly love your job it is clear that someone is doing something right!!

No respect for diversity

Current Employee - Corporate in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate office is cool in the way that it is laid out - well downstairs at least. You're never alone, it's a social environment.

Cons

If you're not white don't bother apply here. Noticed all the non-white employees in the corporate positions drop like flies within a year of being there.

Diversify your corporate team. 50 shades of white is not diverse. It is extremely difficult for a non-white employee to get a word in here or be treated respectfully. There's zero respect for diversity. Advice: heads of certain departments need to stop treating their non-white employees like exotic pieces of meat.

DONT DO IT! You're worth more.

Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Able to set own schedule, option to have holidays off ( not paid) & work from home. Seriously, that's it..

Cons

Where to begin.. ok sales training, and ok product training.. training is about a month and you will be staying in different hotels the whole time except weekends. You will have to pay the hotel fee upfront (100 bucks at each check in will be taken from your card until you check out ) You will get 600 a week while in training, so enjoy it while you have a steady income for a month. Expect to do a lot of computer training modules and sales role playing. Beyond boring. This is not an interior design type of career. I was fooled too.

Commission is "10%" although you literally never get 10%. All discounts and company promos come out of your hard earned money. When you're in training, they all say its easy to make 100K a year.. Yeah right!!! You will be screwed financially if your error rate exceeds 1%, because you wont be able to receive a bonus. If there's an error on one of your orders, even if its not your fault, it will automatically be assumed it was. They dont do the needed research to find out if it was a production error, install error or in fact the Design consultants error even when all it takes is looking at the invoice in most cases. You get an email advising of the error and even though Design consultants are in the field all day, customer care expects you to email them back that day before they go home around 5. If you dont reply or unable to reply ( usually in customers home until 7 pm) the error will be processed against you regardless. If you're able to fight it, it take forever to get it cleared.

You never really feel supported while out in the field, you're kinda just on your own. You get more support from your fellow consultants rather than your manager. Its really hard to sell a companies products that are double, if not triple the cost of competitors prices. Product quality is good, but most people still cant justify the cost. I have been yelled at and asked to leave homes after they find out product pricing because its that hard to believe and they feel ripped off. Pretty much every customer will have 3 other bids from more cost effective companies, so good luck with that. You will also have to do ride alongs with managers monthly to prove that you know what you're doing. Most customers find this to be awkward to have multiple people in their home at once especially if one is just standing there the whole time. Makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere and harder to close the sale same day in my opinion. You will be expected to attend district meetings twice a month, sometimes more. Then there's also sales conference calls twice a month too that you have to listen in on. Its just basic sales babble and numbers that daily emails also go over.

You will be working all day. Even after appointments you will still have to come home and work. Finalizing or adjusting orders, follow up, pre calls.. ugh. Your car will be overflowing with sample bags! Huge, heavy bag fulls. Takes up my whole trunk and 3/4 of my back seat. This is a pain with grocery shopping, kids or even friends that need a seat. Too heavy to move in and out constantly. Bottom line is that you have to work so much to get just an ok paycheck. Sometimes that paycheck will be zero even when you work your butt off. Extremely unreliable income. No PTO, no sick days or vacation days. Sometimes I go with no days off just to make a few more bucks. I have been looking for another job frantically so i can leave this disaster of a job. BEWARE. Not worth the hassle or effort.

At least have a base salary.. i think a lot more employees would stick around if they were compensated decently.

Design Consultant

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

independent work environment, love interior design, can make great money occasionally. If you are new to interior designer it's a great place to get experience working with clients. If you are young you might not need as much money and financial stability.

Cons

Not a stable income, some months are very low paychecks, if you make even just a few errors you are greatly punished financially - we are human we are going to make some errors! Always super stressed waiting to find out if I have an error - if I do - very small paycheck. Error affect your paycheck for up to three months. I can never make plans because I never know what my paycheck is going to be. There is no way to "move up" or improve your wages from year to year - all commission no salary. No paid time off. No sick time. No personal days with pay. I end up working all the time - at least a little on my days off because I get emails that MUST be responded to within 24 hours or I can be punished financially. Can never relax.

A more reasonable sliding scale for pay and bonuses for design consultants.

RUN, don't walk, terrible company to work for

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

After working there for six months I can only say it was a pleasure meeting other designers who suffer also

Cons

The company works the designers to the bone. The Regional directors get paid on what the designers sell. My regional was condescending and inpatient. Not enough appointments set to make a living.

Have a heart! Stop being money hungry jerks and be kinder

Not as good as it used to be

I worked at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

hard to find a pro

Cons

upper management doesn't care about the field

Unfortunately, we all leave. We have to.

Former Employee - Design Consultant "DC" in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant "DC" in San Diego, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers I miss. As you develop skills the projects get more interesting. It takes two years or so to become proficient, but it's not a career you can keep. Most customers are really fun and it's like visiting all day. The customer service and the product warranty is good.

Cons

The ad I answered said flexible hours. Not so. You will not be allowed to arrange your day. You can't work part time or decide how many appointments you can handle. There are mandatory calls on your precious time early in the morning or on your day off. You drive all day and after you finally get home you have several hours of paperwork to do. Holidays are mandatory work days, Christmas Eve, Memorial Day, July 4th. You do not receive a salary yet you cannot close your schedule when you need to and sometimes you can't go on vacation. This may sound normal for a job, but this isn't a normal job. You may work all week and find you spent more in gas. The commissions are low. The company tells you to "work for the bonus" but the bonus is getting almost unattainable. The employee contract was updated to make it harder to bonus 3 times in the last two years. Yes, there are a few DCs that make a great income, but from what I saw 85% of really great DCs could barely pay their bills. You spend a lot of time on customer service issues, as you should, but while you are spending hours taking care of your good customers you make no money.

Showrooms are closing down while other companies are opening them up and the customers don't like this. They like to preview the product before committing to an in home appointment, or come by after their appointment with friends and review the color samples. I had many sales that were finalized in that way. One of the best selling points of the product is the warranty and service. Customers have been able to bring their binds into the showrooms for service. Now what will they do?

There is a system of tracking errors (just about anything is called "DC Error", customer doesn't like the product they chose, the installers made a mistake, the blinds were made too short) and you spend a lot of time fighting to prove you did what you were asked to do. If you can't win the battle, your income is reduced for 90 day periods. Brutal. Concerning real true mistakes after the first 4 weeks you are pretty much on your own and it's not enough training. Some training tools are provided online but you must do this on your own time and you won't have any. It would be nice if there was a senior person who could go to a job to help with tough projects. No such person exists. In fact, soon after you're hired YOU will be the trainer. As new people are hired they are scheduled to meet you on your appointments and observe. Imagine, you are going to see this customer on your own time. The customer probably wanted to visit the showroom first, and really wasn't ready to have someone come to the house. Now you tell them a friend is coming along. Maybe they are uncomfortable having 2 salespeople come over. They don't want training on their time. The new person may say something that interferes with your conversation. The customer gets uncomfortable. No commission for you and no compensation for training the new employee.

The office staff is nice but sometimes they give you flack because they don't understand why we push so hard to get things done. Our urgency was for the customer, and to get our orders into production so we can have money on our paycheck to pay the RENT and EAT. Territories are huge, the appointments are not coordinated into organized trips. Gas reimbursement isn't enough to cover expenses. The miles will kill your car, your insurance goes up. There will be days you don't make any money yet you have to fill your tank. This job should at least have a base pay of minimum wage for 40 hours a week so we could have some security. The appointments are not qualified. Some customers will make a "free appointment" and waste our time trying to get our measurements so they can order online. Some just need repairs which is another department and should have never been scheduled for us. We are pressured to keep a high close rate but sometimes you don't have a chance. "Close rate" is often based on the daily sales report which is not accurate because you might have several orders paid and in pending status which show as unsold appointments until they are pushed into production. I've seen people counselled on this issue while they have signed orders in their hands. It's mind boggling. Then sometimes you get no appointments at all, often based on this daily sales report that isn't accurate. Your territory can change without notice and you may have no appointments at all. No consideration is made about hiring in the areas that actually need coverage. I see an ad running right now for an area that has too many DC's already. There is no time to attend installations but you need to prevent errors. It's a vicious cycle that wears you out. You begin to realize commissioned jobs equal "disposable" no matter how hard you try. And you will try, because the customers want you to. Eventually you give up because there is no security, no routine, no consideration.

Advice to Executive level Management: Maybe things look good on paper, but customers don't like what's happening. They don't like the turnover. They think the company is hurting financially because the showrooms keep closing. Constant price increases doesn't mean the customers are doing so well they can afford it, it means your DC's have to discount more to be competitive. Using YTD close rate plus adding in all orders in pending would be the better way to evaluate our performance. I regretted having to leave but I would only come back if there were a base salary, the error system was revised and territories were smaller and organized with some consideration for our time.

Very small minded company that has no regard for their employees.

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying very hard to act like a big company but will never succeed with their small minded management.

Cons

The CFO has no clue what his subordinates are doing, management believes they are above the law and do things that will soon get them seriously sued, management is promoted by friendship, there is a serious clique within that group, there is favoritism, nepotism, they are so inter-mixed with each other its almost incestuous, there is no HR department to speak with, the sales people have absolutely no time to do their work on a day to day basis, the company does not recognize the value of their sales people, the actual people that bring in the company revenue.

I would run not walk away as fast as you can from this company.

Excellent toward customers, terrible to employees.

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Orange, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I felt confident that I was selling a quality product and that I needn't worry about the quality of what my customers would receive. The sales samples, laptop, cell, and tech support were excellent.

Cons

Scheduling was done by customer service reps with no regard for logistics, so appointments were never scheduled sensibly or efficiently. If a customer were to ask me to change their appointment I was not allowed to do so and had to go through several layers of beurocracy to do so. Leaving it on my calendar affected my close rate which affected whether I was given 'good' appointments. Hours were demanding, with a minimum of 20 appointments run per week including mandatory evening and weekends. This means, with driving, paperwork, follow-up, and second-appointments, that an average work-week was 60 hours. Often more. Commissions were paid on a schedule that required .01% error rate on all orders. That is fine, except that all errors made by anyone (installer, factory, etc.) were attributed to me and had to be fought, meaning that commission payment was a constant battle. There were 22 different products which had to be available to show at every appointment and each one had to be understood and entered into the computer system correctly and quickly, despite the system being quite tedious for order entry. This made appointments slow to finish, which annoyed customers and sometimes required second appointments, which cost me money and time. My manager was efficient and kind but the system was brutal and was not designed to retain good, intelligent reps. It was designed to burn through reps without paying them their bonuses. Shame.

3 Day Blinds Photos