3 Day Blinds Reviews

3.1
Dave Hall

1. Great place to work as a design consultant in Denver

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

Feels like you are running your own business without having the responsibility of owning your own business. Lots of opportunity to make great income. Plenty of support from local district manager and the corporate office. 401K and health/dental/vision is available.

Cons

Really no cons...no vacation or sick pay for design consultants.

2. More than satisfied!

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The initial interview promises have all been met and more. Much more! Best money I've ever made!

Cons

if you aren't personally driven or motivated, this may not be job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting field!

3. 3 day Blinds is an amazing company to work for.

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

I love the way the company backs you and the product up no matter what. You will have the best support.

Cons

I don't have any cons with this company. Love my job and LOVE the company.

Advice to Management

My Boss Ronda is like no other. She makes sure your happy at all times and actually cares about you as an individual.

Know what you're getting into. There's a lot of good, but it's tough.

Current Employee - Design Consultant (DC) in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant (DC) in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy to get hired because it's a commission job. They will give you a chance. It's interesting work once you gain some skills. There are a lot of good people working for the company.

Cons

I had to chime in after reading some of the other reviews. First, you do not "always get 10%" You only get 10% commission if you don't discount. The customers continually receive discount coupons and your pay is reduced when they use them. The pay can be very low. The months go in cycles, you'll have a good one, then you'll be short of cash the next. Very difficult to accumulate savings or meet your financial goals. YOU"LL NEED A BACK UP FUND indefinitely, and it doesn't matter how good you are. Many things are out of your control when working for someone else. Also the economy and seasons dictate how customers handle their spending.

"It's like running your own business?" No it's not. You may have low supervision, but you do not have control. Especially over pricing. In your own business you might choose to take on a project at a slim profit margin, or modify your product to fit a customer's needs. You can't do that with a big company. In this industry there is a 40/60 rule. You'll get an average of 60% of the customers. 40% of the time you are working for free. Driving, designing, measuring, providing samples, rebidding & redesigning. Some projects won't fit into the 3 Day Blinds process.

Here's my favorite.."too lazy to push a button?" Honestly. Is any job as easy as pushing a button? You'll need to drive to see the customer, help them figure out what they can do with their project, price it right, do your research and know all the variations, enter them into the software system perfectly, and be real sure there are no errors before you push that button or your pay will be reduced 90 days.

Advice to Management

I know salespeople are considered expendable, but I'm surprised this isn't considered a skilled labor position that is treated with some kind of value. And by the way, those "skills" are self taught. This is a "learn by trying" job. And we pay for that with the error penalty. The initial training only gets us partially ready to run. There isn't enough continuing support. We need accessible trainers in our own districts that get paid to help us. Not by joining our appointments and evaluating if we recited the 6 step process, but by coming out to a job site if necessary and helping us measure and design it when needed. We can all sell. Anyone who can't talk to people and get hired would never try this.

New hires need to go on a training schedule with experienced salaried trainers and the customers need to be aware of what is going on. Don't just drop them in on our appointments and expect us to train for free. We are already volunteering on our own time to go see if we can get the customers to give us work.

Why not offer us some security and stop the swinging door? Your Design Consultants keep trying their best. This could be a great job, but we need some steady compensation to get through the tough months. As for scheduling, invest in a software program that shows the map layout of the appointments and schedule the customers within proximity of each other. Other companies do it all the time. Stop this crazy idea that we need to work 12 hour days 7 days a week and holidays or we'll lose appointments. This is a service business not a retail business. If I thought of us as a retail outlet, the customers would never choose us over the competition. We are skilled at what we do. (And if it were a retail outlet, I'd have an hourly wage.)

6. A growing company that really gives you every opportunity to succeed

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company give you free: Tablet/laptop,Smart Phone with free wifi, Printer,Really pretty color marketing material
    5 Weeks of paid training. If you have to travel to train, they pay for hotels, cars,food. If you commute they still pay for your gas.The training is really good. We go through hard window treatments as well as drapery. We also were trained on how to give a quote inside the home. We also had dedicated sales training days. After training we had a 3 day blinds employee help us on our first few appointments so we had plenty of support because we were new.
    This company is growing. The appointments are given to us. That's awesome! They company allows us to get our own leads and pays us better money if we close our own leads.
    Don't listen to the stupidity below regarding "never get 10%" That's just not true. You always get 10%. The amount of revenue you bring is reduced (because you gave a bigger discount) but you still get 10%. And I am sorry but last time I checked you have to earn your money, not simply demand it. Yes you have to follow up with customers, that's so you can close the sale if you couldn't sell in the home. You have to finalize orders and push them into production. Hello! that means you got the sale! why would anyone complain about getting the sale and literally hitting 2 buttons to send it into production. If you do have a couple of errors, the company does research it, they speak with the installers and they let you know by email and ask if you to provide documentation in the research. Our manager goes to bat for us if we can prove it was not our fault. If it is your fault then you own it and eventually it falls off your record. You still get paid bonus every month and still get 10% commission.

Cons

A company that grows can have growing pains. They are several new design consultants and it takes time for them to get their legs underneath them. They are not priced as low as Home Depot or Lowes, but when you actually see the products and understand the difference it makes sense. We are not as cheap as Home Depot, but not as expensive as Hunter Douglas. We fall into the middle. If you want a cut down product that will warp in a year, go ahead and go to a big box. If you want a custom product that will last decades, call me.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in really good products, apps for smart phones would be great. Get rid of the negative people who are just complainers who want everything done for them and keep the people who want to work hard to make a great living.

7. Great Place To Work With Great People

Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work independently as well as with a team
    Endless growth potential
    Great mentors
    Everyone is there to help everyone, from the sales team to the CEO.
    Set you up with all the tools to be successful

Cons

Only challenge is I work in a growing market so the company generated appointments fluctuate, thankfully we can generate our own appointments to keep busy.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, I enjoy getting up and going to work everyday. When you truly love your job it is clear that someone is doing something right!!

Under utilized skills

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Donuts on Fridays if you beat the crowd to it.

Cons

Difficult senior level managers, extreme favoritism and nepotism in the corporate office. People feel underutilized and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

If you came into the office you'd know what your subordinates are up to and know how money is being wasted.

No respect for diversity

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate office is cool in the way that it is laid out - well downstairs at least. You're never alone, it's a social environment.

Cons

If you're not white don't bother apply here. Noticed all the non-white employees in the corporate positions drop like flies within a year of being there.

Advice to Management

Diversify your corporate team. 50 shades of white is not diverse. It is extremely difficult for a non-white employee to get a word in here or be treated respectfully. There's zero respect for diversity. Advice: heads of certain departments need to stop treating their non-white employees like exotic pieces of meat.

DONT DO IT! You're worth more.

Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to set own schedule, option to have holidays off ( not paid) & work from home. Seriously, that's it..

Cons

Where to begin.. ok sales training, and ok product training.. training is about a month and you will be staying in different hotels the whole time except weekends. You will have to pay the hotel fee upfront (100 bucks at each check in will be taken from your card until you check out ) You will get 600 a week while in training, so enjoy it while you have a steady income for a month. Expect to do a lot of computer training modules and sales role playing. Beyond boring. This is not an interior design type of career. I was fooled too.

Commission is "10%" although you literally never get 10%. All discounts and company promos come out of your hard earned money. When you're in training, they all say its easy to make 100K a year.. Yeah right!!! You will be screwed financially if your error rate exceeds 1%, because you wont be able to receive a bonus. If there's an error on one of your orders, even if its not your fault, it will automatically be assumed it was. They dont do the needed research to find out if it was a production error, install error or in fact the Design consultants error even when all it takes is looking at the invoice in most cases. You get an email advising of the error and even though Design consultants are in the field all day, customer care expects you to email them back that day before they go home around 5. If you dont reply or unable to reply ( usually in customers home until 7 pm) the error will be processed against you regardless. If you're able to fight it, it take forever to get it cleared.

You never really feel supported while out in the field, you're kinda just on your own. You get more support from your fellow consultants rather than your manager. Its really hard to sell a companies products that are double, if not triple the cost of competitors prices. Product quality is good, but most people still cant justify the cost. I have been yelled at and asked to leave homes after they find out product pricing because its that hard to believe and they feel ripped off. Pretty much every customer will have 3 other bids from more cost effective companies, so good luck with that. You will also have to do ride alongs with managers monthly to prove that you know what you're doing. Most customers find this to be awkward to have multiple people in their home at once especially if one is just standing there the whole time. Makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere and harder to close the sale same day in my opinion. You will be expected to attend district meetings twice a month, sometimes more. Then there's also sales conference calls twice a month too that you have to listen in on. Its just basic sales babble and numbers that daily emails also go over.

You will be working all day. Even after appointments you will still have to come home and work. Finalizing or adjusting orders, follow up, pre calls.. ugh. Your car will be overflowing with sample bags! Huge, heavy bag fulls. Takes up my whole trunk and 3/4 of my back seat. This is a pain with grocery shopping, kids or even friends that need a seat. Too heavy to move in and out constantly. Bottom line is that you have to work so much to get just an ok paycheck. Sometimes that paycheck will be zero even when you work your butt off. Extremely unreliable income. No PTO, no sick days or vacation days. Sometimes I go with no days off just to make a few more bucks. I have been looking for another job frantically so i can leave this disaster of a job. BEWARE. Not worth the hassle or effort.

Advice to Management

At least have a base salary.. i think a lot more employees would stick around if they were compensated decently.

RUN, don't walk, terrible company to work for

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

After working there for six months I can only say it was a pleasure meeting other designers who suffer also

Cons

The company works the designers to the bone. The Regional directors get paid on what the designers sell. My regional was condescending and inpatient. Not enough appointments set to make a living.

Advice to Management

Have a heart! Stop being money hungry jerks and be kinder

3 Day Blinds Photos