3 Day Blinds Reviews

Dave Hall

Good Place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, assist customers with custom made blinds, health benefits, paid well

Cons

Work in store alone much of the time, no week-ends off

Hire more than a couple of people to a store.

Not as good as it used to be

I worked at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

hard to find a pro

Cons

upper management doesn't care about the field

Unfortunately, we all leave. We have to.

Former Employee - Design Consultant "DC" in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant "DC" in San Diego, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers I miss. As you develop skills the projects get more interesting. It takes two years or so to become proficient, but it's not a career you can keep. Most customers are really fun and it's like visiting all day. The customer service and the product warranty is good.

Cons

The ad I answered said flexible hours. Not so. You will not be allowed to arrange your day. You can't work part time or decide how many appointments you can handle. There are mandatory calls on your precious time early in the morning or on your day off. You drive all day and after you finally get home you have several hours of paperwork to do. Holidays are mandatory work days, Christmas Eve, Memorial Day, July 4th. You do not receive a salary yet you cannot close your schedule when you need to and sometimes you can't go on vacation. This may sound normal for a job, but this isn't a normal job. You may work all week and find you spent more in gas. The commissions are low. The company tells you to "work for the bonus" but the bonus is getting almost unattainable. The employee contract was updated to make it harder to bonus 3 times in the last two years. Yes, there are a few DCs that make a great income, but from what I saw 85% of really great DCs could barely pay their bills. You spend a lot of time on customer service issues, as you should, but while you are spending hours taking care of your good customers you make no money.

Showrooms are closing down while other companies are opening them up and the customers don't like this. They like to preview the product before committing to an in home appointment, or come by after their appointment with friends and review the color samples. I had many sales that were finalized in that way. One of the best selling points of the product is the warranty and service. Customers have been able to bring their binds into the showrooms for service. Now what will they do?

There is a system of tracking errors (just about anything is called "DC Error", customer doesn't like the product they chose, the installers made a mistake, the blinds were made too short) and you spend a lot of time fighting to prove you did what you were asked to do. If you can't win the battle, your income is reduced for 90 day periods. Brutal. Concerning real true mistakes after the first 4 weeks you are pretty much on your own and it's not enough training. Some training tools are provided online but you must do this on your own time and you won't have any. It would be nice if there was a senior person who could go to a job to help with tough projects. No such person exists. In fact, soon after you're hired YOU will be the trainer. As new people are hired they are scheduled to meet you on your appointments and observe. Imagine, you are going to see this customer on your own time. The customer probably wanted to visit the showroom first, and really wasn't ready to have someone come to the house. Now you tell them a friend is coming along. Maybe they are uncomfortable having 2 salespeople come over. They don't want training on their time. The new person may say something that interferes with your conversation. The customer gets uncomfortable. No commission for you and no compensation for training the new employee.

The office staff is nice but sometimes they give you flack because they don't understand why we push so hard to get things done. Our urgency was for the customer, and to get our orders into production so we can have money on our paycheck to pay the RENT and EAT. Territories are huge, the appointments are not coordinated into organized trips. Gas reimbursement isn't enough to cover expenses. The miles will kill your car, your insurance goes up. There will be days you don't make any money yet you have to fill your tank. This job should at least have a base pay of minimum wage for 40 hours a week so we could have some security. The appointments are not qualified. Some customers will make a "free appointment" and waste our time trying to get our measurements so they can order online. Some just need repairs which is another department and should have never been scheduled for us. We are pressured to keep a high close rate but sometimes you don't have a chance. "Close rate" is often based on the daily sales report which is not accurate because you might have several orders paid and in pending status which show as unsold appointments until they are pushed into production. I've seen people counselled on this issue while they have signed orders in their hands. It's mind boggling. Then sometimes you get no appointments at all, often based on this daily sales report that isn't accurate. Your territory can change without notice and you may have no appointments at all. No consideration is made about hiring in the areas that actually need coverage. I see an ad running right now for an area that has too many DC's already. There is no time to attend installations but you need to prevent errors. It's a vicious cycle that wears you out. You begin to realize commissioned jobs equal "disposable" no matter how hard you try. And you will try, because the customers want you to. Eventually you give up because there is no security, no routine, no consideration.

Advice to Executive level Management: Maybe things look good on paper, but customers don't like what's happening. They don't like the turnover. They think the company is hurting financially because the showrooms keep closing. Constant price increases doesn't mean the customers are doing so well they can afford it, it means your DC's have to discount more to be competitive. Using YTD close rate plus adding in all orders in pending would be the better way to evaluate our performance. I regretted having to leave but I would only come back if there were a base salary, the error system was revised and territories were smaller and organized with some consideration for our time.

Very small minded company that has no regard for their employees.

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is trying very hard to act like a big company but will never succeed with their small minded management.

Cons

The CFO has no clue what his subordinates are doing, management believes they are above the law and do things that will soon get them seriously sued, management is promoted by friendship, there is a serious clique within that group, there is favoritism, nepotism, they are so inter-mixed with each other its almost incestuous, there is no HR department to speak with, the sales people have absolutely no time to do their work on a day to day basis, the company does not recognize the value of their sales people, the actual people that bring in the company revenue.

I would run not walk away as fast as you can from this company.

Excellent toward customers, terrible to employees.

Former Employee - Design Consultant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Orange, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I felt confident that I was selling a quality product and that I needn't worry about the quality of what my customers would receive. The sales samples, laptop, cell, and tech support were excellent.

Cons

Scheduling was done by customer service reps with no regard for logistics, so appointments were never scheduled sensibly or efficiently. If a customer were to ask me to change their appointment I was not allowed to do so and had to go through several layers of beurocracy to do so. Leaving it on my calendar affected my close rate which affected whether I was given 'good' appointments. Hours were demanding, with a minimum of 20 appointments run per week including mandatory evening and weekends. This means, with driving, paperwork, follow-up, and second-appointments, that an average work-week was 60 hours. Often more. Commissions were paid on a schedule that required .01% error rate on all orders. That is fine, except that all errors made by anyone (installer, factory, etc.) were attributed to me and had to be fought, meaning that commission payment was a constant battle. There were 22 different products which had to be available to show at every appointment and each one had to be understood and entered into the computer system correctly and quickly, despite the system being quite tedious for order entry. This made appointments slow to finish, which annoyed customers and sometimes required second appointments, which cost me money and time. My manager was efficient and kind but the system was brutal and was not designed to retain good, intelligent reps. It was designed to burn through reps without paying them their bonuses. Shame.

Design consultant

Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other design consultant are nice

Cons

They are Cons. The pay is awful and the work is hard. Beware there not enough appointments, you will be forced to try to find your own.

Better pay!

Don't trust a company that has to tell you they have integrity.

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule and nice latops.

Cons

Lots of work, lots of mico managing. No compassion at all. I had a serious injury and after 6 weeks of UNPAID leave. They let me go. So much for their core values of integrity, one team, and doing the right thing.

Have some compassion!

Insanely disparate pay structure

Former Employee - Art Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Art Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You're upper management and want to take your entire family on vacation on the company's dime.

Cons

Insanity. We would develop a budget for a photo shoot, for instance, it would be approved. We'd be ready to fly to the east coast for it and as it got closer, the budget would be pulled. It would be blamed on the board of directors. This happened time and time again. When you have new product, you need photos to show the client, so it was truly baffling. Or, I'd be in the middle of a large project, i.e., the design guide. I've hired a writer, who's spectacular, we've got a great direction going. Every body loves the first section that's been developed, and the budget magically disappears. Upper management blames the board of directors. Also, I found out that the company pays the already overpaid CEO's rent to the tune of 7 thousand dollars a month. Because paying his own rent is clearly a hardship when one makes over 400 K a year. The factory workers in Mexico make $2 a day.

Stop being greedy egomaniacs.

3 Day Blinds Response

May 23, 2014Recruiting

It’s unfortunate when someone chooses to unfairly represent their former employer in a forum such as this, and present information they know to be untrue.

We sincerely hope that anyone reading
    ... More

I have worked at 3Day for the past 5 years and have enjoyed the entire experience.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Irvine, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a positive atmosphere where people really support each other in solving problems and growing the business. We have values that we honestly live by that include Teamwork, Integrity, Customer Satisfaction and excellence. I have not worked for any other company that takes thier values so seriously. Another thing is that we are always trying new ways to do things better like new products, new systems, new tools to make the job easier. Its a good place to work.

Cons

Things move very quickly so you have to be focused and resillient. To stay on top, you have to constantly change to improve. I don't mind this but I know it is hard for some people.

It would be great if there were a way for the people in the office to meet the people in the field.

Opportunities are endless

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless as promotion from within in strongly nurtured. 3 Day Blinds takes pride in continual development of their staff in all departments. Employee satisfaction is considered just as important as client satisfaction and financial growth.

Cons

When your friends outside of work are bonding with horror stories about the places they work you will not have much to add to the conversation.

Management is always looking to improve the business inside and out. Keep it up.

3 Day Blinds Photos