3 Day Blinds Reviews

3.1
Dave Hall

1. Great Work Place

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 Day Blinds offers lots of growth opportunities and good benefits. You will not be bored at any role because the company is always evolving.

Cons

Unfortunately there is minimal training at the corporate office and we often work strange hours and weekends.

Advice to Management

Need more employees to handle customer care needs and follow up on consultations.

Store Manager & Outside Sales Rep

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not much micro-management from others

Cons

Very little room for advancement

Very tough job with tremendous amount of responsibility for average pay.

Current Employee - Design Consultant (DC) in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant (DC) in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy to get hired because it's a commission job. They will give you a chance. It's interesting work once you gain some skills. There is a creative aspect to the job and sometimes you can control your schedule to have a break in the day to handle personal things between appointments. Benefits are good. I have a great manager.

Cons

There is no base salary and there are mandatory meetings and phone calls you aren't compensated for. You will be expected to help train new hires with no compensation. Sometimes you get involved in customer service issues for customers that aren't yours, so again, no compensation. There are no longer many employees on salary that are available to help with these issues. During the interview you'll hear about that it's possible to earn over 100K year. There are a few, but it's not realistic for the majority. The commissions are too low. You'll need to bonus monthly to make an living, which would be great if the bonus were solely based on production. It's tied to your accuracy. This seems to make sense, but there's an error system that is set up to work against the DC because every customer service issue is automatically charged against the DC including production errors, installer mistakes and misunderstandings, the customer doesn't like their choice, etc. The burden of proof of how the "error" occurred is placed on the DC. It's time consuming and often sits on your record for months. I often wonder if I ever recap the money I've missed out on as I'm waiting for resolution. It really gets old. Marketing is good, but there are times you won't have many company generated appointments to keep you busy. It depends on the seasons, economy and your Manager. Appointments can be distributed unfairly usually based on a sales report that is not accurate. The months go in cycles, you'll have a good one, then you'll be short of cash the next. Very difficult to accumulate savings or meet your financial goals. YOU"LL NEED A BACK UP FUND indefinitely, and it doesn't matter how good you are. Many things are out of your control when working for someone else. The customers continually receive discount coupons and your pay is reduced when they use them. You will not "always get 10%" like I see in a review below. It is not like running your own business. You may have low supervision, but you do not have control over pricing or design options. In this industry there is a 40/60 rule. You'll get an average of 60% of the customers. 40% of the time you are working for free. Driving, designing, measuring, providing samples, rebidding & redesigning. Some projects won't fit into the 3 Day Blinds process. Someone actually said in another review all a Design Consultant has to to is push a button? Honestly. Is any job as easy as pushing a button? You'll need to drive to see the customer, help them figure out what they can do with their project, price it right, do your research and know all the variations, enter them into the software system perfectly, and be real sure there are no errors before you push that button or your pay will be reduced 90 days.

Advice to Management

Advice to Executive Management. The expectations on the design team are unrealistic if you have any interest in retaining designers. I've watched designers come an go. The installers get tired of helping train DCs. They want skilled designers to work with. Is this the goal to keep bringing on fresh sales people and burning them out? If so, it's working. This job is tough, I'm surprised this isn't considered a skilled labor position that is treated with some kind of value as opposed to a sales job where salespersons are expendable. The company gives us the first 4 weeks of training, and we provide the rest for ourselves. Our skills are self taught. This is a "learn by trying" job. And we pay for that with the error penalty. The initial training only gets us partially ready to run. There isn't enough continuing support. We need accessible trainers in our own districts that get paid to help us. Not by joining our appointments and evaluating if we recited the 6 step process, but by coming out to a job site if necessary and helping us measure and design it when needed. We can all sell. Anyone who can't talk to people and get hired would never try this. This person could also visit customers and handle customer issues. Not everything can be done remotely, or be done by a commissioned employee. New hires need to go on a training schedule with experienced salaried trainers and the customers need to be aware of what is going on. Don't just drop them in on our appointments and expect us to train for free. We are already volunteering on our own time to go see if we can get the customers to give us work. It takes a long time to become accomplished as a DC, but we have no security. Scheduling is getting better in the last 6 months, but invest in a software program that shows the map layout of the appointments and schedule the customers within proximity of each other. There's too much pressure to work 12 hour days 7 days a week and holidays. Organize! I can do more appointments if they are close together. Some of the sales process is outdated and too "salesman-y" Customers don't like that. We are told we are a retail business. I don't think so. This is a service business. We can't compete on retail, our prices are higher than others. Customers want service that's why they call us and why they'll pay extra to have an experienced designer help them. So why is high turnover acceptable? Offer us some security and a fair program to deal with reorders. I can't recommend my job to others because my friends can't understand why I keep doing it. It's a lot of pressure for low pay. They always ask me "Has anyone in upper management actually done your job?" I guess the answer is I've not completely burned out yet. Too bad. I put a lot of work into this and my customers really like my work.

Customer care rep

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagels on Fridays and plenty of overtime. Co-workers are great. Team spirit and casual. Location in Irvine.

Cons

Pay does not match the work; case management and call center job in one; ridiculous redundancy between computer systems; disrespect from installers, design consultants and upper management. The leads watch your queue while you go to the bathroom and then send another lead to check. Stress level and case load is HIGH, and if you forget something during a monitoring you're "coached". The constant monitoring and coaching. Every mail is "CC" some manager or VP so watch out. The turn over rate is HIGH HIGH HIGH. Reps come and go because of the case load and stress. One day your rep next to you is at their cubicle and next day they are no longer with the company. Pay is way too low for the responsibility. You must deal with complaints from customers because of the design consultants, installers and shippers. Expect to get yelled and hung up on then the supervisor just compensates the customer and apologizes while you take the next problem phone call.

Advice to Management

Question: why can't you keep employees in your call center? Or just hire new people and hand out xboxes to keep the ones that stay.

Installer

Former Employee - Installer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Installer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The money. Except don't expect to see your last 2 weeks pay!

Cons

~Only care about numbers ~They will pretty much hire anyone- many un-knowledgeable designers/installers ~ 12-14hrs a day work (half is travel) worked every Saturday and most Sunday mornings ~ upper management used the words "I am not your friend it's business " and they are above or act like they're above everyone else esp Nat N ~ they don't care about clients or if job is correct- they care about #s. - its a revolving door of employees ....very high school vibe as everyone talks behind each other backs. Plenty more but the rest you can

Advice to Management

A little friendlier attitude will go a long way

Lacks Diversity - Corporate Office

Former Employee - Corporate Team in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Team in Irvine, CA

I worked at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, lots of people, widely spaced, nice break room.

Cons

Unless you're blonde, athletic, and white, this place is the most difficult place to get anything across to upper-management. When it comes to layoffs they're extremely unethical and promotions are solely based on favoritism and nepotism. If you're a female and non-white do NOT come here. You'll just be looked at as a piece of meat. Also job description in ad entirely misrepresents the position.

Advice to Management

Need a better and more ethical system when it comes to promotions and layoffs. Also, not sure why c-level executives think it's okay to flirt with their subordinates.

More than satisfied!

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The initial interview promises have all been met and more. Much more! Best money I've ever made!

Cons

if you aren't personally driven or motivated, this may not be job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting field!

3 day Blinds is an amazing company to work for.

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

I love the way the company backs you and the product up no matter what. You will have the best support.

Cons

I don't have any cons with this company. Love my job and LOVE the company.

Advice to Management

My Boss Ronda is like no other. She makes sure your happy at all times and actually cares about you as an individual.

10. Great place to work as a design consultant in Denver

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds

Pros

Feels like you are running your own business without having the responsibility of owning your own business. Lots of opportunity to make great income. Plenty of support from local district manager and the corporate office. 401K and health/dental/vision is available.

Cons

Really no cons...no vacation or sick pay for design consultants.

A growing company that really gives you every opportunity to succeed

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at 3 Day Blinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company give you free: Tablet/laptop,Smart Phone with free wifi, Printer,Really pretty color marketing material 5 Weeks of paid training. If you have to travel to train, they pay for hotels, cars,food. If you commute they still pay for your gas.The training is really good. We go through hard window treatments as well as drapery. We also were trained on how to give a quote inside the home. We also had dedicated sales training days. After training we had a 3 day blinds employee help us on our first few appointments so we had plenty of support because we were new. This company is growing. The appointments are given to us. That's awesome! They company allows us to get our own leads and pays us better money if we close our own leads. Don't listen to the stupidity below regarding "never get 10%" That's just not true. You always get 10%. The amount of revenue you bring is reduced (because you gave a bigger discount) but you still get 10%. And I am sorry but last time I checked you have to earn your money, not simply demand it. Yes you have to follow up with customers, that's so you can close the sale if you couldn't sell in the home. You have to finalize orders and push them into production. Hello! that means you got the sale! why would anyone complain about getting the sale and literally hitting 2 buttons to send it into production. If you do have a couple of errors, the company does research it, they speak with the installers and they let you know by email and ask if you to provide documentation in the research. Our manager goes to bat for us if we can prove it was not our fault. If it is your fault then you own it and eventually it falls off your record. You still get paid bonus every month and still get 10% commission.

Cons

A company that grows can have growing pains. They are several new design consultants and it takes time for them to get their legs underneath them. They are not priced as low as Home Depot or Lowes, but when you actually see the products and understand the difference it makes sense. We are not as cheap as Home Depot, but not as expensive as Hunter Douglas. We fall into the middle. If you want a cut down product that will warp in a year, go ahead and go to a big box. If you want a custom product that will last decades, call me.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in really good products, apps for smart phones would be great. Get rid of the negative people who are just complainers who want everything done for them and keep the people who want to work hard to make a great living.

RSS Feed </> Embed