38 Studios

Updated July 20, 2014
3.5

38 Studios CEO Jennifer MacLean
Jennifer MacLean

Working at 38 Studios was challenging and enjoyable.

I worked at 38 Studios full-time

Pros

Everyone was committed to creating the best product possible. Curt provided great leadership to a group of over-achievers. Everyone was passionate about doing the best and leaving no option un-tried.

Cons

Investors and partners (especially Rhode Island politicians) were not prepared to weather the costs and duration of a major software development lifecycle (building a large software product lasts longer than a politician's re-election cycle).

All levels of senior management made time to visit and understand challenges that we were dealing with. They recognized the challenge of such a broad project.

38 Studios was a fantastic company to work for

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazing people with a real sense of family instilled by Curt. If they had been able to stay financially viable, I would have stayed with the company for a very long time.

Cons

Management did not really know how to get the game out of the door and the financial officers did a terrible job of finding private funding (which is very hard to do for a start up MMO).

Tragic.

I worked at 38 Studios

Pros

Working with awesome developers, creating a beautiful and fun world. Being part of a family.

Cons

Being eviscerated by money and planning issues. Never shipping the game. Destroyed by hubris.

Learn from your mistakes.

Bitter sweet

Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Artist I in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing leadership at my department's lead level. The talent and skill level of the art team is certainly the most robust I have ever experienced. I have never been so inspired to come to work.

Amazing benefits. The owner of the company was the nicest guy I ever met and meant well for everyone.

Cons

The studio went far too long without an engineering team and suffered from over staffing other departments. Some departments and jobs were completely unnecessary. Many people had ranks and titles that were well above their experience.

The executives and some directors appeared to be there just to stuff their pockets with a grossly mismanaged budget. The studio is no longer in business because they overspent and gave a terrible government official an opportunity to shut the studio down. Which he did with a smile.

This is for the leaders of the art department since I cannot assess other departments accurately, but they should hear this anyway. You need to learn from my lead. She was amazing and fostered the healthiest and most productive art team I had the pleasure of working with. You know who she is so call her for some advice.

Was one of the best places to work in the game industry

I have been working at 38 Studios

Pros

Talented and ego-free developers with a passion for what we all were creating. Curt Schilling's natural ability to instill and stoke that passion was an awesome thing to witness. Best group of people in the game industry to work with, and they had actual social skills.

Cons

Some teams didn't coordinate well and full-on game production took too long to really get rolling. Cash flow mismanagement combined with a RI state Governor whose mission seemed to be to sink the company for political gain, led to the company's demise. Yet, most of us would do it all again.

A Company that Deserved Better

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Seemingly unbeatable levels of positivity and goodwill among a large team of extremely talented people; an amazing development effort; a sense of building a hugely important and valuable intellectual property (while it lasted). Overall rating based on pros, rather than on the sudden, non-sequitur demise

Cons

Funding schemes apparently failed to materialize for the final year of development, resulting in the evaporation of the company, negating all the great work that had been done

Be well and move forward.

With clueless management, it's no wonder the company went out of business!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Unlimited free coffee / drinks.
    * Four weeks of vacation. I had so many days accrued that when I quit, I had a nice little severance package waiting.
    * Nice co-workers.

Cons

* A very top heavy organization, with too many vice presidents / directors / managers. The peter principle totally applied here.
    * Lots of "neckbeards" who knew about gaming, but not much about software or business.
    * Unrealistic business plan: put all your eggs in one basket to try and build the next WoW clone.

Go back to school and learn basic money management and math skills. How do you waste over 50 million dollars and have nothing to show for it? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mixed Bag

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were amazing and talented individuals who were devoted, passionate, and loyal.

Cons

The company was forced to shut down due to a lack of funding, causing the entire 300+ person studio to close in a span of a few days, from the initial financial troubles. There was no severance package offered or any advanced notice to any of the employees.

Overestimating the sales of a new IP is not the only reason the studio was forced to close and claiming so is simplifies the mistakes made that forced the closure. Blaming lack of consumer demand is an easy way out and is insulting to those affected negatively.

Great While It Lasted

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at 38 Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people around developing really great things. Teams overall had great cohesion and were able to produce a great amount of work in a very short amount of time.

Cons

Teams had a really hard time working with each other, especially the platform and the game team. There did not seem to be a sense of controlled urgency from the top and the lack of focus really showed when trying to experience the game overall.

Asking to be better at managing money would be a hit below the belt, but hopefully in later endeavours people will try to take more care in how the overall product is instead of trying to focus on each individual, unconnected feature.

Great people, passion, and talent. Business mismanagement drove it to the ground.

Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Game Developer in Providence, RI

I worked at 38 Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people with common goals and shared passion. Great skill level overall and most people were very motivated to do an excellent job. Camaraderie was at a high here and the results spoke for themselves.

Cons

Management had limited game development experience and was often too lenient about missed goals. Goals also changed too frequently, causing shifting sands, uncertainty, and countering motivation.

Keep people accountable and don't change goals on a whim.