38 Studios

Add Photos

38 Studios CEO Jennifer MacLean

Jennifer MacLean

Tragic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios

ProsWorking with awesome developers, creating a beautiful and fun world. Being part of a family.

ConsBeing eviscerated by money and planning issues. Never shipping the game. Destroyed by hubris.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your mistakes.

Was one of the best places to work in the game industry

I have been working at 38 Studios

ProsTalented and ego-free developers with a passion for what we all were creating. Curt Schilling's natural ability to instill and stoke that passion was an awesome thing to witness. Best group of people in the game industry to work with, and they had actual social skills.

ConsSome teams didn't coordinate well and full-on game production took too long to really get rolling. Cash flow mismanagement combined with a RI state Governor whose mission seemed to be to sink the company for political gain, led to the company's demise. Yet, most of us would do it all again.

Bitter sweet

Artist I (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing leadership at my department's lead level. The talent and skill level of the art team is certainly the most robust I have ever experienced. I have never been so inspired to come to work.

Amazing benefits. The owner of the company was the nicest guy I ever met and meant well for everyone.

ConsThe studio went far too long without an engineering team and suffered from over staffing other departments. Some departments and jobs were completely unnecessary. Many people had ranks and titles that were well above their experience.

The executives and some directors appeared to be there just to stuff their pockets with a grossly mismanaged budget. The studio is no longer in business because they overspent and gave a terrible government official an opportunity to shut the studio down. Which he did with a smile.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is for the leaders of the art department since I cannot assess other departments accurately, but they should hear this anyway. You need to learn from my lead. She was amazing and fostered the healthiest and most productive art team I had the pleasure of working with. You know who she is so call her for some advice.

A Company that Deserved Better

Senior Game Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for more than a year

ProsSeemingly unbeatable levels of positivity and goodwill among a large team of extremely talented people; an amazing development effort; a sense of building a hugely important and valuable intellectual property (while it lasted). Overall rating based on pros, rather than on the sudden, non-sequitur demise

ConsFunding schemes apparently failed to materialize for the final year of development, resulting in the evaporation of the company, negating all the great work that had been done

Advice to Senior ManagementBe well and move forward.

With clueless management, it's no wonder the company went out of business!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros* Unlimited free coffee / drinks.
* Four weeks of vacation. I had so many days accrued that when I quit, I had a nice little severance package waiting.
* Nice co-workers.

Cons* A very top heavy organization, with too many vice presidents / directors / managers. The peter principle totally applied here.
* Lots of "neckbeards" who knew about gaming, but not much about software or business.
* Unrealistic business plan: put all your eggs in one basket to try and build the next WoW clone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and learn basic money management and math skills. How do you waste over 50 million dollars and have nothing to show for it? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Mixed Bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for more than a year

ProsMy coworkers were amazing and talented individuals who were devoted, passionate, and loyal.

ConsThe company was forced to shut down due to a lack of funding, causing the entire 300+ person studio to close in a span of a few days, from the initial financial troubles. There was no severance package offered or any advanced notice to any of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverestimating the sales of a new IP is not the only reason the studio was forced to close and claiming so is simplifies the mistakes made that forced the closure. Blaming lack of consumer demand is an easy way out and is insulting to those affected negatively.

Great While It Lasted

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at 38 Studios full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the smartest people around developing really great things. Teams overall had great cohesion and were able to produce a great amount of work in a very short amount of time.

ConsTeams had a really hard time working with each other, especially the platform and the game team. There did not seem to be a sense of controlled urgency from the top and the lack of focus really showed when trying to experience the game overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsking to be better at managing money would be a hit below the belt, but hopefully in later endeavours people will try to take more care in how the overall product is instead of trying to focus on each individual, unconnected feature.

Great people, passion, and talent. Business mismanagement drove it to the ground.

Senior Game Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazing people with common goals and shared passion. Great skill level overall and most people were very motivated to do an excellent job. Camaraderie was at a high here and the results spoke for themselves.

ConsManagement had limited game development experience and was often too lenient about missed goals. Goals also changed too frequently, causing shifting sands, uncertainty, and countering motivation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep people accountable and don't change goals on a whim.

Best workplace and coworkers ever!

Corporate Travel and Relocation Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful coworkers and excellent atmosphere. Everyone dedicated to the product and company.

ConsThe only con is that sadly, the company was not given the opportunity to show the world the amazing finished product.

Disappointing

Writer (Former Employee)

I worked at 38 Studios full-time for less than a year

ProsFun environment, great co-workers, decent benefits.

ConsNo longer in business, massive moral failure at executive level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some.

Worked for 38 Studios? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 38 Studios reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 38 Studios CEO Jennifer MacLean. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by 38 Studios employees.