3D Systems

Updated February 20, 2015
2.5

3D Systems President, CEO, and Director Abe Reichental
Abe Reichental

Pros
  • He's saying all the right things about work/life balance, entrepreneurship, teamwork, etc (in 6 reviews)

• Working with the new, cool technology as many of the reviews state (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Also there is an everyday changing schedule that makes a work/life balance nearly impossible (in 4 reviews)

• Poor compensation package and dismal performance by upper management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Hectic, but rewarding

I have been working at 3D Systems

Pros

The technology is up and coming, making it a unique industry to be in. 3DS leads in the US market. On the whole, employees at all levels are able to take on responsibility during projects and pitch ideas for the future. The environment is also very collaborative and open.

Cons

There's a bit of a preachy feeling regarding how awesome 3D printing is and what it can do for the world. Also, frequent growth by aquisition makes management more poorly structured than it could be.

good experience, fair wage, (decent programmers)

Current Contractor - Director B U S Projects-short in Remote, OR
    Current Contractor - Director B U S Projects-short in Remote, OR

I have been working at 3D Systems as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

they give you good wages for the work but the competition with others is challenging. people like the industry because of news stories about dog legs and baby limbs.

Cons

not many, just be ready to compete with certain types of programmers that are just as qualified but much much cheaper for the company. difficult to compete. they don't have a central phone system. might as well just be using cell phones. the "receptionist" is a stay at home

stop trying to force outside software into the company and let us improve our own real crm. sales force is dumb for this business. realize we need 'from scratch' software, and make sure it's secured! also, we need more help from the directors of special projects. they have titles and responsibilities but no actual power to affect change.

engineer

I worked at 3D Systems

Pros

cool technology. lead company in the industry

Cons

work under too much pressure, which should not be applied by some project managers. pay lower than other companies.

Needs serious reform

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great market sector to be in at the moment. Internal reorganization is in progress.

Cons

Currently very disorganized. Communication between departments lacking. Company not investing in current employees or assets, but instead on an endless acquisition spree. Salaries not competitive. Continual exodus of top talent.

Invest in what you have or you will keep losing your best employees.

Over worked, under paid

Current Employee - Product Specialist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your job, the hours have a little flexibility. The things you work with can be exciting and new.

Cons

Does not seem to have much room for growth. The company is micromanaged so hard work does not always pay off since the person approving your raise has no idea what you actually do. The turnover rate is extremely high but the new hires are hard to come by leaving the other employees with the work. We hire temps that do not possess the highly technical skills needed for certain jobs leaving even more work for the other full time employees.

Tons of potential

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

3DS is literally on the cutting edge of technology and everybody here seems to be working really hard to stay there. I also work hard but love what I'm doing. It's really the opportunity of a lifetime. I feel like I am trusted and encouraged to take risks and get to work with a lot of different people across the organization on many of the exciting things going on.

Cons

The pace of our growth can be challenging, there's a lot of work and it comes at an incredibly fast pace. But the opportunities that come from that are endless.

Improvements still needed in organization and infrastructure. Need to align entire company around a single strategy, especially with all the new acquisitions.

Liking life in the fast lane

Current Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excited to be part of an amazing company in a transformative industry. Employees given a lot of responsibility and flexibility. Great teammates. Good benefits. The long distance runners are rewarded. Like the casual and dog-friendly work environment.

Cons

Be prepared .. things move fast and people are committed and work hard. This is not a 9 to 5 job.

Need to do better with internal communications. Should organize more fun activities on site.

The recent positive reviews are corporate plants.

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart and good people working on fascinating technology. Good sense of camaraderie among the employees.

Cons

Bad management at mid to senior level, shoddy products due to terrible decision making and deadlines, engineering support spread too thin due to the company's unwillingness to hire replacements after fleeing talent. Whenever a promising manager is hired there is a short period where he or she talks about change. Then they are fully indoctrinated into the company, given the kool-aid, and positive change is suddenly less important than towing the company line.

Well, there's not much management can do due to our CEO's micromanaging the company with a ruthless and iron fist. Company culture is at an all time low. Spend less time hiring celebrity spokespeople and writing laughably bad, corporate-jingo laden company newsletters and focus more on quality and providing the tools your teams need to be effective. Stop selling and shipping products you know are broken. Clean house of destructive managers rather than trying to reshuffle them.

Celebrity With A Drug Habit

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. fast paced interesting work with interesting people.

Cons

Empty promises, Machiavellian/sloppy management, nepotism, no real plan except be everything all at once. Incredibly high turn over rate. Some people at the company are just plain weird (which could be good or bad for you depending).

Seems like problems come from the top on down. Convince Abe to slow down and tighten up operations a bit.

I have been an Engineer at 3D Systems for four years, loving every minute of it.

Current Employee - Materials Engineer
    Current Employee - Materials Engineer

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Exciting products
    - Global leader in it's industry
    - Pays well
    - Employees treated with high degree of respect, given a lot of freedom

Cons

- Can be overly collaborative at times
    - Work-life balance is sometimes tough, but that is true of most engineering positions at a firm in such a cutting edge industry

Promote people based on leadership skills rather than other factors.