3D Systems

2.3

3D Systems President, CEO, and Director Abe Reichental
Abe Reichental

Tons of potential

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (less than a year)

Pros

3DS is literally on the cutting edge of technology and everybody here seems to be working really hard to stay there. I also work hard but love what I'm doing. It's really the opportunity of a lifetime. I feel like I am trusted and encouraged to take risks and get to work with a lot of different people across the organization on many of the exciting things going on.

Cons

The pace of our growth can be challenging, there's a lot of work and it comes at an incredibly fast pace. But the opportunities that come from that are endless.

Improvements still needed in organization and infrastructure. Need to align entire company around a single strategy, especially with all the new acquisitions.

Over worked, under paid

Current Employee - Product Specialist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on your job, the hours have a little flexibility. The things you work with can be exciting and new.

Cons

Does not seem to have much room for growth. The company is micromanaged so hard work does not always pay off since the person approving your raise has no idea what you actually do. The turnover rate is extremely high but the new hires are hard to come by leaving the other employees with the work. We hire temps that do not possess the highly technical skills needed for certain jobs leaving even more work for the other full time employees.

Liking life in the fast lane

Current Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excited to be part of an amazing company in a transformative industry. Employees given a lot of responsibility and flexibility. Great teammates. Good benefits. The long distance runners are rewarded. Like the casual and dog-friendly work environment.

Cons

Be prepared .. things move fast and people are committed and work hard. This is not a 9 to 5 job.

Need to do better with internal communications. Should organize more fun activities on site.

The recent positive reviews are corporate plants.

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart and good people working on fascinating technology. Good sense of camaraderie among the employees.

Cons

Bad management at mid to senior level, shoddy products due to terrible decision making and deadlines, engineering support spread too thin due to the company's unwillingness to hire replacements after fleeing talent. Whenever a promising manager is hired there is a short period where he or she talks about change. Then they are fully indoctrinated into the company, given the kool-aid, and positive change is suddenly less important than towing the company line.

Well, there's not much management can do due to our CEO's micromanaging the company with a ruthless and iron fist. Company culture is at an all time low. Spend less time hiring celebrity spokespeople and writing laughably bad, corporate-jingo laden company newsletters and focus more on quality and providing the tools your teams need to be effective. Stop selling and shipping products you know are broken. Clean house of destructive managers rather than trying to reshuffle them.

Celebrity With A Drug Habit

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance. fast paced interesting work with interesting people.

Cons

Empty promises, Machiavellian/sloppy management, nepotism, no real plan except be everything all at once. Incredibly high turn over rate. Some people at the company are just plain weird (which could be good or bad for you depending).

Seems like problems come from the top on down. Convince Abe to slow down and tighten up operations a bit.

I have been an Engineer at 3D Systems for four years, loving every minute of it.

Current Employee - Materials Engineer
    Current Employee - Materials Engineer

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Exciting products
    - Global leader in it's industry
    - Pays well
    - Employees treated with high degree of respect, given a lot of freedom

Cons

- Can be overly collaborative at times
    - Work-life balance is sometimes tough, but that is true of most engineering positions at a firm in such a cutting edge industry

Promote people based on leadership skills rather than other factors.

“The future depends on what you do today.” Gandhi You can make the future.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability to contribute in all areas of innovative engineering. Forward thinking is the norm. Work hours very flexible. Quick development cycles lead to accelerated career growth opportunities . You will never be bored. International company with opportunity to travel and work with other cultures. 3D Systems created an industry and we get to work with the people that developed it. Passionate leadership with a purpose. You have the opportunity to change how people interact with the world. From developing processes that enable people to walk again to creating little robots that children can play with. The work environment is casual yet focused. This is not a job but a calling. You are given the freedom to innovate and affect the future of the technology. .3D is a playground of innovation and we get to play in it. It is a joy to have that privilege

Cons

Always pushing the envelope, but love it!

keep you foot on the accelerator!

Extremely fast paced - it's great if that's your thing

Current Employee - Manager in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Things at 3D Systems move faster than anywhere else I've ever worked. I knew that going in and that's what attracted me to the place. It's understandable that some people would find that to be a negative and a lot of the reviews on here seem to confirm that. To me, it's the best part of the job.

-The whole 3D printing industry is still a nascent space and this is a company that still thinks and moves like a startup, so there is a ton of opportunity. I've been genuinely impressed at the degree of freedom I've been given to try new things and feel like the company does a good job rewarding initiative.

-Even though there's a lot of work, the company is very flexible with scheduling, which certainly improves the work-life balance.

-It's cool to be able to work with such cutting edge technology on a daily basis.

Cons

-Most of the people here work extremely hard and hours are longer than in most places. So be prepared. But this speaks more towards the type of people who work here than the office itself. The company seems to attract people who are obsessed with getting stuff done.

1) Do a better job getting information out about updates/strategy/etc across the company. With so many acquisitions, it can sometimes be hard to figure out what's going on.

2) Try to make the workplace more fun and creative

Excuses

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid commercial products
    A few highly talented colleagues that have it together and keep it interesting

Cons

Poor compensation package and dismal performance by upper management.
    Poor treatment of colleagues with low morale.
    High turnover rate that leads to a chaotic work environment.
    Forget about bonuses and raises while working at this company, you'll get excuses instead.

Instead of manufacturing excuses for your employees and customers, deliver on your promises. Value your employees as a valuable asset.

Currently at rock bottom

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at 3D Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exciting industry to be working in
    Lots of freedom with R&D expenditures

Cons

Toxic culture - morale is LOW
    Everyone is a manager - There are probably 30 VP's

3DS has a lot of potential to be a great company. The acquisition spree seems to be slowing down, and the dust is finally settling. Employees took the brunt of the impact of the acquisition spree. Most of the solid talent has left the company and it will take years to build back up.

HR needs to step up and offer competitive benefits. The current benefits are a joke and will not attract or retain talent.