3D Systems

Be The First To
Add Photos

3D Systems President, CEO, and Director Abe Reichental

Abe Reichental

3D systems - cutting edge place to work - fast moving, needs more mainstream applicaitons

Engineering (Current Employee)

Pros3Dsystems is involved in cutting edge 3d printing application materials including metals, ceramic, plastic, sugar , chocolate. (food printing)

Consmarket is still young for mainstream 3D printing applications; most of momentum is due to marketing campaigns, etc. Would like to see more practical consumer apps

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of a game plan, rather than quick hit projects to see what sticks..

Meh, it's just a job. Not a career. Avoid 3ds if you have options.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTechnology was interesting for the first few months. People are impressed when you say that "you work for a 3D printing company".

Many of the people that I endured my employment with were good, hardworking people and we bonded through shared misery.

ConsALOT:

Work life balance is very poor (60-70 hr weeks months on end). Inflexible scheduling. Management expectations are very high relative to salaries.

VERY low employee morale. Almost everyone is fairly miserable. Most are miserable for good reasons (see above). It's really hard to get what you need when the only person that can help you is overworked and totally demoralized. Attempts to improve morale amount to nothing but lip service and are REALLY cheesy.

NO 401K MATCH (C'mon from a fortune 500 company?)

NO TRAINING, NO OPPORTUNITIES TO ADVANCE, NO LATERAL MOVES TO CROSS TRAIN. My career really just stagnated. This plus the hours is why I decided to pack it up. I'll work hard for long hours, but not if it isn't moving me forward to better and better jobs.

Very little structure or direction for employees.

Everyday I came to work was like going into a warzone. I had no idea when or if I was leaving and it was just complete disorganization. My spouse knows when I'm thinking about my time at 3ds because I get that thousand mile stare.

Advice to Senior Management1. Fire whoever is posting the shill reviews on Glassdoor. It's really obvious when the only positive reviews are posted on consecutive days.

2. Invest in your people. You can buy someone's time and labor, but if you want their passion and creativity, you've got to EARN it. Or just keep churning through employees which seems to have worked thus far.

3. Focus on product performance.

4. Empower employees and foster internal innovation instead of just gobbling up smaller companies.

5. Stop speaking to employees like you're a walking press release.

Large company

ProsCompany is growing at a fast rate
    Pay is very decent
    Good work-life balance, depends
    Nice co-workers

ConsOpen office plan isn't ideal for everyone
    Need to work on more training for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on happiness and satisfaction of your employees please. Provide better, top-notch training in all your companies

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company

Senior Buyer (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsExcellent company to wok for. Great pay and benefits

ConsNot enough potential for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

High Tech. That's It.

ProsThere is a roof and running water.

Cons- There are simply too many to list in a short manner. The best I can do is suggest that you ask yourself if you're willing to work at a (for the moment) cutting edge company in return for stalling your career. It is a brutal environment with little or no direction in many different areas. I have never been a part of or experienced a company with so much money and market potential combined with so little direction. How it plans to compete with the groups on it's heels is going to be interesting. I doubt I'll stick around to see it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to management. It's very clear in what it wants. This message has been clearly passed down the chain of command.

Calling it quits soon.

(Current Employee) Andover, MA

ProsNot many pros at all if any. I mean the idea of starting to work there was great until day 1 was over.

ConsSlave hours, working mandatory 80+ hours a week
    Lack of management.
    A "hook-up" based company.
    Lack of communication amongst leads & supervisors.
    Tons of blame someone else before they admit their own fault.
    Un-safe work environment.

Had to bring my own tools in sometimes just to make work a bit easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, perhaps listen to some that been terminated. Keep a better eye on the line.

This place is turning into a puppy mill

Inside Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCool technology, interesting clientele and industry sectors served.

ConsVolatile work environment, management uses scare tactics, no training, direction is lack if any. It's a job, not a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on short term "scrambling" decision making. Define your goals and put structure in place to achieve them. Stop being afraid to speak up when something isn't working..

Lots of tension in everyday life, decent pay

R&D (Former Employee) Andover, MA

ProsGet to learn about new cutting edge technology
    Pay is good

ConsManagement absent most times
    Company would rather buy other companies and technologies rather than invest in internal development
    CEO would rather be TV personality rather than good boss
    With all the cool things 3D Printing can do, 3D Systems focuses on overcharging customers and printing nick-nacks
    Lots of unhappy employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more present in each location, having too many headquarters spreads managers too thin.
    Work harder on internal communication, lack of employee communication between different locations.
    Focus on empowering employees and employee happiness. Unhappy employees fester and spread unhappiness.

Ready to move on after over 5 years...

Sales (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsHonestly, not much here. No Stock purchase plan. Micro management at its finest.
    CEO doesnt allow managers to make decisions. Over 1000 employees and CEO has to approve travel reimbursement requests. quote from a very Senior Mgr. " 3D systems is not employee Centric"

ConsRaise your sales goals and cut your pay at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to give employees incentives to succeed and and your stock will rise. Don't look at acquisitions and cutting pay, perks and benfits "as increasing profit". people will leave and new people will read Glassdoor and not apply to fill your open positions. Empower your managers to make decisions. if you cant trust them, then replace them.

Conceited CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat business segment with huge upside potential.

ConsConceited CEO and CFO. Questionable financial reporting.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees!

Worked for 3D Systems? Contribute to the Community!