3M Reviews

Inge G. Thulin

1. Great company overall, needs to get it's head on straight with some things

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun projects, great company values, employees have some amazing benefits Practically guaranteed raises each year.

Cons

The environment of the division I work in is very unstable. The company spread itself too thin with too many projects and now it has recently had to layoff a number of employees and contractors.

Be more honest and upfront with your employees and they will respect you more and want to work for and grow the company.

2. Good place to work

Former Contractor - Firmware Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Firmware Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great location, team and flexible work schedule...

Cons

Really slow in terms of adapting to newer platforms and technology

Inconsistent and poor management, male dominated

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M (more than 10 years)

Pros

Reputable company with long history, decent benefits, many different job paths available

Cons

Not good at breaking into new lines of business; they know how to do manufacturing but building less tangible items, such as software, has not been mastered in their environment. Revolving door of managers. Managers make decisions without consulting business team on impact. Managers tend to only talk amongst themselves without taking into account the knowledge and experience of other team members. During annual reviews, it is very hard to be recognized for going above and beyoned because the team setting your evaluation numbers does not know you. Conversely, poor performance is allowed for far too long before it is addressed, creating teams with long-term weak links.

When starting a new line of business, hire experts with the right experience from the outside rather than appointing employees with traditional 3M experience. Consult business team prior to making decisions with critical project impact. Empower employees for success. Recognize people for achievement. Address poor performance immediately.

5. "Great. Is this review supposed to be about 3M or the position I am apply for? If this position, I do not have that

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Commitment to and understanding management.
    The workforce was dedicated until it became a l little tense when the layoffs started

Cons

My work team was dispersed and we were unable to meet as often as needed

The release of staff during the lay-off could have been performed a little more gracefully

6. 3M Experience

Current Employee - IT/Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT/Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a permanent employee, your presented with options to move up fast within your current or other departments. They encourage personal development.

In the event that you are laid-off, you are given the opportunity to find a job within 3M or external within a set time frame while still remaining on the payroll as a permanent employee. In addition, services are provided by 3M for assistance in that situation.

Office culture is positive. There are opportunities to get involved with internal groups sponsored by the company for networking and giving back to the local community.

Cons

There are sudden transitions in departments which cause instabilities. The company is old school. The processes are slow.

The opportunity is there if you are willing to travel and/or move.

7. Not what I was promised.

Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the employees and the flexibility of my hours. They allowed me to work my own hours, as long as I put in the 40 I was required to.

Cons

Didn't compensate me enough. Was not truthful in my employment. I was promised a raise, and after 8 months of asking and hearing excuses, they offered to renew my contract at the same amount. So I left.

Be more transparent in the offering stage of the hire. I was promised more than I was given.

8. Difficult transition but tons of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came here 18 months ago from the outside and there seem to be more than enough opportunities for growth. They encourage you to apply for other internal jobs after just 2 yrs. The benefits are amazing; EAP, health centers, salon, employee discounts, etc. They do seem to try and be consistent and fair to everyone. All opinions matter and safety is #1. I feel free to innovate and try new things.

Cons

Its hard for lower level employees to advance but much easier once you get past a certain point. The systems are antiquated and frustrating. The company is so big that things take forever, lots of red tape. They go so big and complicated that it's easy to become frustrated. Because they promote from within, you can't expect to keep the same employees on your team for long. It can cause lost time having to retrain new ppl regularly.

3M is amazing, please invest in the technology infrastructure, it's hindering your people.

9. Lot to learn about getting into Software

Current Contractor - Software Quality Assurance in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Software Quality Assurance in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Always looking to build the business
    Great people to work with

Cons

Treats their contract workers like a used toy. Never know when that one day will come where they say "Sorry, you are no longer needed."
    While its good that 3M is trying to expand their business, they take on too much business, can't handle it all, and then panic.
    Have the manufacture mentality while trying to develop software. Plugging people in and out of software development doesn't work.

Big name with small successes.

Former Contractor - Service Desk Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Service Desk Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The people here try their very best at what they do. You'll see a lot of projects and curiosity, the awe of being apart of a big name company will wear off quickly.

Cons

As a contractor, expect to stay one. One of the things 3M pride's itself in is not having lay-offs, don't be fooled. Every couple of months you'll hear of about 30 people being let go or getting an "extended vacation" because a project is on hiatus. Expect your stress levels to stay high while working here.

Be honest, the stand ups are a joke when you try to BS your own employee's. Don't give false hope either, most of the time we hear of all the new recs available but then there's another lay-off and it's not even discussed at the stand ups. Your employee's worry for their job security, and it's not because of their ability to perform, it's because of the companies inability to be honest. Employee's are wanting to move up and explore the company yet there are so many closed doors, be open and discuss more possibilities with your employee's and provide proper compensation - they even have to pitch in for coffee so the company can distribute, at least provide your hard working employee's coffee.

Poor Leadership

Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff and very friendly people, they had wonderful people doing the work (Devs, QA, BA's), but the projects were so mismanaged the majority of those great people were let go.

Cons

VERY poor leadership, management never accepting responsibility for mistakes made and the senior leadership teams ethics are less then stellar