3M

3M Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin

Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be(in 26 reviews)

• The best part of working there was the coworkers attitude and work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc(in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company(in 11 reviews)

3M, over the last decade 3M is no longer the company that people grew up knowing and loving.

Technical Analyst (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsFlexible hours and able to do some work from home. Years ago, it was nice working there. There may still be some good positions available at 3M.

ConsThe corporate culture is quickly dying at 3M. Mostly contractors doing all the work now. Do not accept a contract at 3M if you think you will ever be made a 3M'er, no matter what any 3M manager say to the contrary. I actually wrote a detailed review about all the Cons, but I decided to retract it. Maybe you can make a difference there.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't listen or care to read advice to them. So I won't waste my breath.

Old-school expectations (be a company wo/man), 21st century work-life balance (24x7x365)

Senior Research Engineer (Former Employee) Maplewood, MN

ProsSuccessful company with pretty good pay

ConsRidiculous travel expectations--3 weeks in Asia, multiple times per year
    When not traveling to Asia, expected to be constantly connected--answer emails all night
    Vacation--isn't. Check in email every morning and evening, minimum. Take calls as needed.
    The old-school benefits are gone--no pension, no banking vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance, new blood

Large, traditional company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsHighly educated scientific community in lab and engineering (manufacturing).
    Stable company that moves at stable to slow pace so work is not overly stressful.
    Highly analytical company.
    Global company with global opportunities.

ConsSlow pace.
    Decisions not delegated down so no real ownership.
    Lack of accountability.
    Outdated work environment (face time matters vs work, gender biased, hierarchical, etc)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My company was bought by 3M eight years ago.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe benefits are really pretty good. The insurance has saved my family a bunch of money ofer these alst eight years. I received pension money (for the 8 years) and I participated in their 401k. The stock purchase plan is pretty good as well with a 15% discount.

ConsWorking in a remote location doesn't help out much. Still a lot of political issues to deal with. Much time is spent proving that you are working along with doing the actual work. Lots of hoops to jump through trying to satisfy remote management. HR refers employees to corporate headquarters for just about every question.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a plan and stick with it. Reorganizing every couple of months hurts your credibility. Move quickly and decisively. My last project was: "Here's what I want you to do:( ) Wait....wait....wait....What? You're not ready? You need to move!" I was ready to go 3 months before they told me to actually move. Hot/cold/hot/coldhot doesn't gain my confidence as a subordinate.

The innovation company

Key Account Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsCompensation, Company car, Vacation, Company reputation, culture

ConsHeadquarters Location is undesirable for anybody not from MN

Diverse company with lots of opportunities

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

Pros3M is a lot of small companies, interconnected with common culture, shared technology.
    3M has good corporate ethics and means to do the right thing, is supportive of employees.
    3M values innovation.

Cons3M likes to try new innovative businesses, but the safety net that used to exist for employees is no longer available. While there are numerous activities, a 3M employee who plays it safe, who manages a large existing business well, is most likely to be promoted.

Excellent experience at 3M with endless resources and assistance for both professional and personal growth.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBenefits, competitive salary, diversity, culture, control your own career path (MANY options).

ConsCorporate latter moves you regardless of where you want to live.

A great learning opportunity

Technical Service (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsAlways challenged, never bored, always learning, very ethical company, travel opportunities, great ammenities, good pay, good stock options, good benefits

ConsSome of the management does not have great leadership qualities, top management should really listen to employees better, employee performance review could be better

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance is not the best, each employee is performing the job of three employees, morale could be boosted. If you need to hire another person that has the same job as a current employee and you decide to hire that person at a higher job level then you should respect your current employee and promote them to that job grade as well.

Annual Review

Cost Accounting Manager (Former Employee) Rockland, MA

ProsOpportunities, preventive measures and corrective actions

ConsImplementation of new system was choppy at best

Advice to Senior ManagementThey think they know everything

Pretty good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics.

ConsMissing pieces in operations and marketing that prevent them to being a better division in all aspects. Under-pay employees compared to other Fortune 500 companies. They are a traditional, conservative and slow moving in their processes and decision making. Not aggressive enough in their marketing. All roads lead to Minneapolis so in order to move up anywhere in the company you have to move to Minnesota. They used to offer pensions and don't anymore. The pension I had still was not the biggest incentive to stay due to better opportunities that suit my company preferences and work style better. For the younger generation, they need to find more ways to retain talent.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!