3M HIS

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
3.2

Jon Lindekugel

Good workers. Upper levels of management and HR dont' listen.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at 3M HIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Depending on immediate manager, good opportunities. Benefits used to be very good but have been hit by the recession and Health Care mandates.

Cons

3M is a manufacturing company and doesn't seem to really know how to handle their software group. Upper level management turns over too frequently to give a stable vision. Local Human Resources doesn't seem to really care at all for the employees.

Listen to the people who are doing the work. Don't change direction too frequently.

Burn Out

Current Employee - Client Support Analyst
    Current Employee - Client Support Analyst

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, good company values

Cons

Not much personal growth, not enough employees so everyone has to do double the work.
    That's when burn out kicks in. They don't seem to mind, people quit, new ones come in. They work you until you can't do it anymore. Fairly small yearly raises that don't match other companies.

Hire more people

The worst place for technical people with a degree

Former Employee - Data Science Specialist
    Former Employee - Data Science Specialist

I worked at 3M HIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-You get a salary and may never get fired for under-performing

Cons

This is by far one of the most depressive, non rewarding places to work for if you have a Masters and more.

-No career growth opportunities whatsoever. If you have a PhD, this is a dead end. You don't get to do real research nor do you get to implement things the way you envision. Your manager tells you what to do and how to do, without knowing any basics mind you. You basically become a software engineer.

-Your contribution is not recognized.

-You spend time in meetings every day to report every single thing you did the previous day. Its called stand-ups apparently. Is this elementary school or what?

-You have managers who are technically not informed. You are managed by fools who know nothing about the technical stuff but are good at talking the talk. You are told to apply machine learning for problems that don't need machine learning.

-The current president is a real joke. She barely has meetings (no kidding) and when she does she gives motivational speeches instead of calling a spade a spade and telling us what we should be doing better, what we are already doing well and what we should be planning on for the future. She is another talk the talk case.

-Very unfriendly and clannish culture.

Some teams have too many "stuck" employees who create a stagnant environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murray, UT

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, good commute, 3M as a whole believes in innovation and integrity and tries to encourage these concepts throughout the company. I hear that some teams are good to work on.

Cons

Some teams are very stuck in doing things "as they've always done it." You will see other reviewers saying this too. If you have new ideas, you will probably be ignored and shunned by your team mates, especially if they are run by employees who have been there over twenty years. The average time people are employed at 3M is 22 years. This is not something to be proud of because a lot of those people have been in the same job all that time and they don't grow as a person or in their skillsets.

Move people around. No one should be on the same team in the same job for more than ten years. People who are "stuck" cause others to be stuck. It affects the morale of the team.

Mostly good but suffering growing pains...

Current Employee - Health Information Systems - Systems Analyst in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Health Information Systems - Systems Analyst in Murray, UT

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, avg/above avg wage, above avg benefit package, large corp/diverse products/markets

Cons

Frequent changes in management Past 6 yrs I've had 4 managers & had no manager for 6mths which is the catalyst for a whole host of issues

See #1 Con. Create standard methods/workflows rather than each little group re-inventing the wheel over and over - we need to tap into the silo and learn from our team members and share business practices. Lastly, invest in enterprise IT solution that we can use to manage our projects, products, and people.

Great company to be apart of

Current Employee - Client Support Analyst in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Client Support Analyst in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time

Pros

Great growing opportunity within a Global company
    Great benefits and discount on 3M products (3M makes almost everything)
    Great team environment with managers who will work with you with your needs.
    Employee stock option s give you ability to save faster.

Cons

Dealing with clients can be frustrating.
    Changes in support structure on the horizon and appears to be kick back from other employees.

More time for training.

Atlanta branch: Stay away if female

Former Employee - SQL Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - SQL Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at 3M HIS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The salary was average\ok I have very little nice things to say of this company especially for woman. Please stay away from here.

Cons

The management is all men, run by men, fitting men's needs. As a woman I was pushed out within 3 months because I have kids and needed a set schedule. They do not work with people who have families. I would not waste my time here if you are a woman unless you want to be the office gopher.

Remove middle management NOW and replace with a staff that is younger and more creative. Who probably has not been raised with gender bias.

Very smart people working on some innovative healthcare products

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time (less than a year)

Pros

An environment that fosters creativity and curiosity, and gives you the opportunity to learn at a fast pace and solve very interesting problems.

Cons

Not many, but I would say HIS is part a large organization which means: career growth happens at a slower rate, a lot of policies and procedures in place.

A big company -- stable, but bureacratic

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Murray, UT

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, fair salary, worldwide opportunity through 3M corporate, stable growth (job security for those who stay at the top of their field), good IT infrastructure for mobile business (laptops, company mobile phones, intranet, web tools for meetings)

Cons

No training and development, aging workforce (not a lot of young blood), old established policies and politics, no perks being a 3M division outside of St. Paul

Awesome.

I have been working at 3M HIS full-time

Pros

Pay, flexibility, great people to work with

Cons

Sometimes have pressing schedules and have to work ot