3M Health Care

3M Health Care Chairman, President & CEO Inge G. Thulin

Inge G. Thulin

Pretty good

I worked at 3M Health Care full-time

ProsGood benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics.

ConsMissing pieces in operations and marketing that prevent them to being a better division in all aspects. Under-pay employees compared to other Fortune 500 companies. They are a traditional, conservative and slow moving in their processes and decision making. Not aggressive enough in their marketing. All roads lead to Minneapolis so in order to move up anywhere in the company you have to move to Minnesota. They used to offer pensions and don't anymore. The pension I had still was not the biggest incentive to stay due to better opportunities that suit my company preferences and work style better. For the younger generation, they need to find more ways to retain talent.

Solid company

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Oakdale, MN

I worked at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, competitive pay, room to advance, great ethics

ConsIf you don't grow up in the company it can seem strange; some systems are old technology

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy to your division Presidents

A bit of a mess. The culture is if you didn't invent it you won't use it.

I worked at 3M Health Care

ProsGood benefits, good work life balance

ConsAll technology is siloed. No one shares work between teams

Advice to Senior ManagementGet software managers to manage the division not doctors.

A Very Bullying Environment

I worked at 3M Health Care

ProsNot too many benefits are about it

ConsIsolation - People are under a lot of pressure and it has been a bullying type of environment

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it friendly

Implementation consultant

I worked at 3M Health Care

ProsIf you already have a very strong understanding of the product and worked and you don't mind giving up any life outside of work, this is a fantastic job for you.

ConsNo training, no work ice balance- heaven forbid you become seriously ill or require surgical intervention. You are told to "ask your peers" if there is a process you don't understand, the problem is most of your peers don't understand it either. Terrible documentation, "recorded training sessions" that unfortunately leave a lot of the major steps out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people appropriately, appreciate that people have a life outside work, all life does not revolve around 3M. Train people through the entire implementation process FIRST, don't jump around projects and where the project is so that people are able to gain a clear and concise understanding of the processes you expect.

An old company with modern updates in a few areas

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Lexington, MA

I worked at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat employee stock purchase program and a very clear path to promotion. The company plays in so many industries that given enough time you can work almost anywhere, geographically and professionally.

ConsThe salaries are not very competitive in higher paying regions outside the corporate HQ. It's a very large company and it feels like that. Most of what they do has "corporate" written all over it and they don't shy from it. Company HQ are in a less than glamorous city and although they try to update some parts of the campus, most of it has a very dreary feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize individual talent with money and unique company perks.

Poor Management, no one trusts anyone

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Products, falling apart fast

ConsPoorly Managed, people compete against each other, no trust

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are too aragant to change

It's a good place. That's why people stay so long!

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people to work with and for.

ConsThere's more work than can be done in a day or days....

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate yourtechnology systems. We're innovative in a lot of things but WAY behind in our tracing systems and IT systems.

Would recommend a friend

I have been working at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompetitive pay
Good benefit
Opportunity for development

ConsOnce pass the mid point of salary no raise until next promotion, whic not necessary will happen

Good pay and benefits

Brookings, SD

I have been working at 3M Health Care full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and benefits are good for this area but benefits are on the down slide, Like how they are willing to help out the community.

ConsThey don't follow their own policies unless it benefits them. Management in each area is allowed to do things their own way whatever will help them climb the ladder regardless of impact on employees or the company there is no consistency .I am a 3m employee but the other comment about how they treat contract temp employees are correct, they have no regard for them at all they are only there to keep company from paying out benefits. In the end it hurt s them ,us and especially the company because of high turnover quality of our products suffers and plant moral is low.
Shifts and required overtime make family life diffecult
attendence policies make this even worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your plant management follows each plants policies,it'snot fair to expect employees to follow them when management doesn't Try to limit number of contract make the good ones 3m employees quicker.The high turnover lower quality and productivity you are not saving as much money as your experts make you believe.Don't try to save money by cutting benefits loyalty to the company is dropping to keep and attract quality employees you need to offer benefits as they have been,cutting them will lose employees.

Worked for 3M Health Care? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3M Health Care reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 3M Health Care CEO Inge G. Thulin. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by 3M Health Care employees.