www.3m.com

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

solid company, with a good culture and benefits

Cons

travel there is tough, especially if you are coming from the west

more working from home

Current Employee - Finance Coordinator in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Finance Coordinator in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good career opportunities and senior management

Cons

no cons, but I would like to see a more modern/younger culture

Great interview, quick hire

Current Employee - Digital Content Specialist in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Digital Content Specialist in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It is a strong brand with solid products.

Cons

They spend on marketing than research and development. Which makes sense but makes it hard for the marketing team to execute ideas

Be open to digital development and evolution.

One of the best places to work to grow in your field.

Former Employee - Lab Technologist in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Lab Technologist in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interested in helping employees to reach their potential.

Cons

No cons in my experience.

EE Internship

Former Employee - PI&CS Electrical Engineering in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - PI&CS Electrical Engineering in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, helpful environment, very easy to get help from fellow workers there, have mentors that you can always go to for help

Cons

slow work pace, a lot of time spent waiting for other parts of the project to go through, sometimes project for intern not well defined so have to look for extra work during waiting time

have more defined projects prepared for interns

Meetings, meetings, and more meetings

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Large company that offers very good job security. Innovative and diverse projects. They allow you to spend some of your time working on side projects you may be interested in that can benefit the company. Even as an intern, I was able to propose some changes that were put into effect

Cons

Lots of older employees who have been "lifers" at 3M. The IT side is a mess and it takes a long time to get even small changes implemented. Not much communication between the global divisions.

More global communication. More agile processes.

Pretty good gig for full-timers looking for a safe job, contractors get a raw deal.

Former Employee - Engineer in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most people are great. No one on the ground treats contractors any different than 3Mers. Culture varies a lot by group (it's a huge company after all). My group was great, very relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Hopefully you got a job that interests you because there is little to no chance at advancement as a contract employee. Your manager will probably talk to you about a conversion, but their plans will be subject to 4+ managers and executives above them. Every time one of those positions changes, all plans get reevaluated (and very often thrown out the window). Since most management positions change every 2-5 years you are pretty much guaranteed to be chasing the full-time conversion for 3-6 years, but really it is never guaranteed and I promise you they will try to low-ball you on the offer (make sure you take those years to learn the pay scales and pay attention to min/max/market). Honestly, I had to have had one of the best contracts around (20 hrs per week, I set the hours, pay rate comparable to T3 engineer) but even I grew tired of it after 2 years and got a much better full-time job elsewhere.

Stop pretending that only next quarter matters. Your budget games hurt long-term shareholder value and demoralize your employees. You are in for a world of hurt when you finally realize that the younger workers are not chained to you like the older ones on a pension plan. Over the next 5 years you are letting half your experience walk out the door (retirement) with no effort to transfer knowledge. 5 years after that your most talented middle career employees will start job hunting after years of having multiple jobs dumped in their laps with bellow market pay.

Flexible and nice!

Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

3M offers very flexible and friendly work place for its employees. Ideas are valued and encouraged so that is always nice but the biggest perk for me is the flexible work schedule.

Cons

The pay is ok but the benefits package (atleast for my level) suck so maybe that would be an area to improve on.

I think the managers I have come across are very involved yet keep there distance so maybe more interaction with employees.

Summer internship

Current Employee - Intern in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

3M is a very large company with many smart people. It is great to be able to learn a lot from your colleagues. There is a big emphasis on collaborating with people across the company. The good thing about 3M's size is that there is almost definitely a position that is a good for you. The people are very nice, and the company culture is built on ethical business practices

Cons

Most of the employees are older, caucasian males, so it is a little lacking in diverse viewpoints. This is likely to change in the next 5-10 years as these people retire, but it was rare to see a senior-level employee who did not fit that demographic.

Tech Aide

Former Employee - Technical Aide in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Aide in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn about upcoming technologies. Hard work pays off. Tech Aide position is a great way to gain experience.

Cons

Very focused on chemical and mechanical engineering. Other disciplines of engineering have limited roles.

Management at 3M is great! Keep recognizing creativity and innovation. Employees with these traits are what drives 3M.