3M Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
3.7

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be (in 30 reviews)

• Good benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent culture and great atmosphere. I believe this company has one of the most diverse and secure product portfolios in the world. Great benefits package.

Cons

In my opinion 3M can be a financially conservative company at times. While this has allowed them to persevere through difficult times economically, they pay near the center of most pay indexes.

Continue to provide a great corporate culture.

Secure Job

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely diversified company. Innovation driven. As a person in a sales function. Couldn't ask for a better company to work for. 3M consistently launches new products. Which means always have something new to show customers.

Cons

We are usually the most expensive. Which makes for a difficult sale. But usually 3M products always provide the best performance.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture emphasizes fairness and diversity. Those that excel are rewarded financially for their achievement
    One of the better 401 and benefit packages available today

Cons

Pay is a little below average
    Promotions seem to come to those that are "selected" in advance
    Positions are posted that have already been filled with the person they had in mind

Invite employees ides on what it would take for them to perform better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong technology opportunities

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very technically-driven organization; strong opportunities for technical staff to advance and make a difference. Personal growth and skills growth is an expectation across the organization. Many opportunities to see a breadth of technologies you won't find anywhere else.

Cons

Still very much a chemistry and materials company; pushing hard to incorporate software and electronics, but there are cultural challenges that make this challenging.

Flexible and nice!

Current Employee - Tech Aide  in  Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

3M offers very flexible and friendly work place for its employees. Ideas are valued and encouraged so that is always nice but the biggest perk for me is the flexible work schedule.

Cons

The pay is ok but the benefits package (atleast for my level) suck so maybe that would be an area to improve on.

I think the managers I have come across are very involved yet keep there distance so maybe more interaction with employees.

Really great company, boring position

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M as an intern for less than a year

Pros

3M is an awesome company. The people who work there are great and friendly, the company is committed to improving both its bottom line and the world, and they are doing some very innovative things in the laboratory. It is a HUGE company with lots of divisions, so there is an ability to move around should you get bored in one area.

Cons

All the tasks assigned to me were quite mundane and easy. I finished everything much quicker than the time allotted, but then had nothing to do to fill the time despite asking.

Use the talent you have better!

Great Company

I worked at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, good manager

Cons

Nothing. Found another job in my expertise

None

Good place to work but the climate is terrible

I have been working at 3M

Pros

It is a good place to work at because the work load is low compared to other companies. Low pressure and proper compensation

Cons

The climate here is terrible, especially in the winter. And the winter is pretty long, almost lasts half an year.

Cubicle job was not for me

I worked at 3M

Pros

Good work life balance. Good Benefits.

Cons

Work was boring and unfulfilling

Dynamic, fast paced, full of opportunities whether you are ready or not

Current Employee - Singapore
    Current Employee - Singapore

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place if you thrive on a dynamic environment full of changes. You can be working on 1 direction when suddenly the whole management switches gear and has an opposite direction for you. Lots of opportunity for showcasing, you are most welcome to demonstrate your capabilities and be duly rewarded. Senior management makes conscientious effort to promote cross entity, cross function, and cross business partnership. Top down culture which allows for swift and agile responses to changing business climates. Strong pay master for their industry.

Cons

Capable individuals are overloaded, the reward for good work is more work. Which is fine until you realize your weaker colleagues are getting through their day with significant lesser work load. You are pushed along to the next level, whether you need it or are ready for it. Promotions are only given after you have take up at least one year of the increased responsibility to demonstrate you are indeed worthy of the promotion. This obviously short changes the capable colleagues who has been working on the increased job scope whilst drawing previous pay.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!