3M

3M Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin

Inge G. Thulin

Pros:
  • "For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Good safe working environment and a sincere commitment to ethical working practices"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Centralized Decision Making at the Division Level"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Diverse company with lots of opportunities

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros3M is a lot of small companies, interconnected with common culture, shared technology.
3M has good corporate ethics and means to do the right thing, is supportive of employees.
3M values innovation.

Cons3M likes to try new innovative businesses, but the safety net that used to exist for employees is no longer available. While there are numerous activities, a 3M employee who plays it safe, who manages a large existing business well, is most likely to be promoted.

Excellent experience at 3M with endless resources and assistance for both professional and personal growth.

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, competitive salary, diversity, culture, control your own career path (MANY options).

ConsCorporate latter moves you regardless of where you want to live.

The innovation company

Key Account Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation, Company car, Vacation, Company reputation, culture

ConsHeadquarters Location is undesirable for anybody not from MN

A great learning opportunity

Technical Service (Current Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time

ProsAlways challenged, never bored, always learning, very ethical company, travel opportunities, great ammenities, good pay, good stock options, good benefits

ConsSome of the management does not have great leadership qualities, top management should really listen to employees better, employee performance review could be better

Advice to Senior Managementwork life balance is not the best, each employee is performing the job of three employees, morale could be boosted. If you need to hire another person that has the same job as a current employee and you decide to hire that person at a higher job level then you should respect your current employee and promote them to that job grade as well.

Pretty good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at 3M full-time

ProsGood benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics.

ConsMissing pieces in operations and marketing that prevent them to being a better division in all aspects. Under-pay employees compared to other Fortune 500 companies. They are a traditional, conservative and slow moving in their processes and decision making. Not aggressive enough in their marketing. All roads lead to Minneapolis so in order to move up anywhere in the company you have to move to Minnesota. They used to offer pensions and don't anymore. The pension I had still was not the biggest incentive to stay due to better opportunities that suit my company preferences and work style better. For the younger generation, they need to find more ways to retain talent.

Annual Review

Cost Accounting Manager (Former Employee)
Rockland, MA

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOpportunities, preventive measures and corrective actions

ConsImplementation of new system was choppy at best

Advice to Senior ManagementThey think they know everything

Excellent

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAwesome company great place to work

ConsNo negative issue good company

Good place to start.

Technical Aide (Current Employee)
Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI did this job while in school and after I graduated while looking for F/T opportunities. The hours were great and I had a flexible schedule that could adapt to my school schedule. I also had a great supervisor so I felt appreciated and liked coming to work.

ConsYou reach an hourly cap in pay. I got there within the first few months of being there so I wish I could have made more. My team's morale seemed low. I wish they had more opportunities for Technical Aides to begin Full Time or move to Full Time positions.

Great place to work!

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 10 years

Pros3M invests time and money in their employees in order to enpower them and set them up for success.They offer great pay, benefits, leadership, innovation. Accomplishments are rewarded.

Cons3M is always changing and sometimes the employees become expendable. In an effort to increase productivity, sometimes the result is the opposite. The workload can become lopsided.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know your people as individuals. It's always easier for an employee to work for someone that takes a genuine interest in their lives.

A great company, applies old marketing to new markets

Senior Applications Development Specialist (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat technical support for new product applications.

ConsManagement should know market needs more clearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your markets, when moving into new applications.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!

3M Videos

3M – Why Work for Us?

​​​​About 3M​​ Welcome to a world where your inspired ideas fuel endless progress. At 3M, you’ll help us develop the products that change the way people live and work. And you’ll realize boundless opportunities for your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3M reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 3M CEO Inge G. Thulin. All 491 reviews posted anonymously by 3M employees.