3M Reviews

Reset
3.7
3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • Work-life balance left something to be desired (in 38 reviews)

• Large company with good benefits (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Then when it comes time to actually pay vendors for what they want, senior management balks at the idea (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

1. Invest in your future

Current Employee - Regional ER Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Regional ER Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

3M is a great company known for its' world class innovative products and long term employment opportunities. It is a global organization with over 80,000 employees. You can have an exciting career in multiple areas and never leave the company because of the diverse platforms of technology and multiple businesses that are part of the organizational structure.

Cons

Just as all organizations are struggling with, 3M continues to look for ways to make their total compensation package relevant for today's workforce. The changes 3M is forced to make to the benefit package to maintain competitiveness are disappointing to the long term employees. However, for new employees, the total compensation package is still excellent in comparison to our competitors.

Advice to Management

In the quest to remain relevant a century later, remember the advice from William McKnight, one of the historical founding fathers of 3M. Treat people with respect and let them do their job the best way they can. It is a formula that is always in style - no matter what century.

2. Coor Design

Current Employee - Coor Design in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Coor Design in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company will allow you to pave your own road to success as long as you're willing to make some strides.

Cons

I'm on my 9th year with this company, and let me be the one to tell you that I have absolutely no complaints working here. As long as you fulfil your duties, the rewards will come. I've had a good track record so far.

Advice to Management

Promote within and recognize those who are valuable that put in the extra efforts. This will encourage pride and workmanship.

3. Saels

Pros

Nothing comes to mind, good company

Cons

Nothing comes to mind, long commute to work

Advice to Management

Non

5. Great Career company

Current Employee - Accountant in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Accountant in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, relaxed environment, younger demographic in their accounting center helps keep college grads comfortable, planning to upgrade the company facilities to be more open and social, huge potential for career development, ability to change roles and responsibilities over the years, focus on career and skill development constantly

Cons

Onboarding can take a long time depending on the supervisor's experience, currently very much a cube culture for accountants (will change soon)

6. Technical Aide

I have been working at 3M part-time

Pros

The people are team-oriented and willing to teach other members of the team about scientific findings/techniques. I have learned a ton of technical skills while being a tech aide, which will be invaluable in my future career.

Cons

There are some who are less team-oriented than others, which can pose a roadblock for productive teamwork. They also do not allow tech aides to work more than 899 hours per year and only 32 hours per week.

Advice to Management

It would be helpful to tech aides if the maximum hours they could work were more flexible. Some weeks you end up working more than 32 hours and others you don't, so it can be frustrating trying to adhere to this maximum limit of hours.

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees very well, it's easy to connect with everybody, corporate events are great, it's easy to find technical experts on any subject, and the company as a whole continues to be successful.

Cons

Anything people usually associate with working for a big corporation - bureaucracy and meetings abound. Not anything out of the ordinary.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Great company if you want to stay long-term

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, bonus structure, and benefits. Excellent job security provided that your job performance meets expectations. Micromanagement is typically kept to a minimum and non-entry level employees are generally provided with wide latitude in terms of self-direction.

Cons

Minnesota winters are very harsh and long, so be prepared to endure them. Fortunately, the remaining 8.5-9 months of the year are quite pleasant with especially nice summers. While job security is excellent for adequate performers, do not expect rapid upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. 3M is a solid, diverse company with a variety of opportunities.

9. As a lowly technical aide I was treated with respect and given enough responsibility to show my worth.

Former Employee - Technical Aide in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Technical Aide in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to works as a student and get an idea of what a real career is like. Good pay, and decent employees make this a great place to work.

Cons

I have no cons to list for this company. They expect lots from tech aides, but it's worth it.

10. Excellent company

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Rochester, NY

Pros

Excellent company to work for; advance opportunities, great benefits, pension, training opportunities and pleasant work environment

Cons

At times I felt like a number, because it was so big, but it wasn't a big enough con to make me leave.

Advice to Management

No special advice - I had a good experience. Keep doing what you are doing. Listen to employees.

11. Fair, diverse company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people Many career paths and opportunities Cutting edge technology Encourages career-long learning Great Benefits

Cons

Winter, if working at corporate HQ Large company (HR, etc.) LTD benefits

Advice to Management

Take risks, stay relevant

RSS Feed </> Embed