3M

Updated February 26, 2015
3.8

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be (in 38 reviews)

• Good benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to do well and even move ahead in a careee

Current Employee - Intern in Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Intern in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

great salary, more nependence, top infrastructur

Cons

not many to be honest

Great innovative company with lots of room to explore new ideas

I have been working at 3M

Pros

This company really helps push you to create new ideas and help make things more efficient. They have all the necessary resources to make sure you can perform the best.

Cons

In my experience, I did not get as much feedback on my performance as I would have liked. In the two years I have worked there I have not had a performance review.

Challenge your staff more, as well as provide more feedback related to the quality of their work. Expose your employees to the other aspects within their division.

Stable Company

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Work/life balance, good pay and benefits. Strong Midwestern values and people are generally friendly.

Cons

Facilities need updating, lots of red tape, rigid management structure. Promotions can be slow.

Focus on developing young professionals. Outline clear career paths.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Global Business Director in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Global Business Director in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Conglomerate that offers opportunity of career development within different functions and different businesses. This flexibility is an added value to keep employees motivated and challenges the ones that need to learn and develop themselves.

Cons

Not as flexible as other specialized companies, where they can act faster due to the prioritization process that exist in big companies, especially when you have different businesses which makes it more complex

Great leadership team! It would be great for the middle management to have more access to the executives live, not only through webstream

Planning and Scheduling intricate and demanding manufacturing

Current Employee - Run Mtg No Glamor, But Part of Teamwork Needed to Serve Customers in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

3M is as good as any company there is. Ethical leadership and well managed overall. Per capita, the ding-dong factor among employees is better.

Cons

Some individuals aren't diligent, diplomatic, or considerate enough in getting what they want.

Stick with the long term and focus on daily averages and not month end or quarter end. Long term customer satisfaction, growing markets, and ongoing profitability are far more important.

Fun, energetic place to work.

Former Employee - Picker/Sorter in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Picker/Sorter in DeKalb, IL

I worked at 3M

Pros

Driving a forklift and pulling products.

Cons

Long hours, designated smoke area too far from the plant entrance to take a break.

Process Engineer

I worked at 3M

Pros

Great work experience. Good environment for learning and growing.

Cons

Worked 50hours plus per week. No time for personal life. Upper management is micro managing.

Big Mistake for me

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome products
    Intelligent people
    Good discount
    EAP program for employees which helped "Me" deal with the hostile environment

Cons

Company does not accept new blood.
    Very hard to make friends.
    Employees think it is a WONDERFUL company, they have only been there so they don't know any different.
    It took me over 50 internal job applications to finally transfer out of one dept to go to another.
    No help from Human Resources, they support management not employees.

I worked extremely hard for your company for 4 years and received NO recognition for the hours I spent on a huge project. I did not feel at all welcome to join this company, new people are not respected in any way. So sorry I wasted 4 years of my life that I won't get back because of hearing how "Great" 3M was to work for.

Used to be a good company in the 80's

Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to switch divisions, lot of interesting areas to work in, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Nothing is done with poor performers, but God help you if you ever get depressed while you're working at 3M

Differentiate between dumb people and bright people, and groom them accordingly -- get rid of all the nepotism

Great Company

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Good Hours, Solid Pay, good upward and lateral movement opportunities depending on what type of job you want within 3M.

Cons

High Management turnover. Most upper management changes positions every 2 to 3 years, this makes the corporate message a moving target. Most higher level positions require relocation to St. Paul, MN.