3M Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
3.6

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be (in 27 reviews)

• The best part of working there was the coworkers attitude and work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Secure Job

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely diversified company. Innovation driven. As a person in a sales function. Couldn't ask for a better company to work for. 3M consistently launches new products. Which means always have something new to show customers.

Cons

We are usually the most expensive. Which makes for a difficult sale. But usually 3M products always provide the best performance.

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture emphasizes fairness and diversity. Those that excel are rewarded financially for their achievement
    One of the better 401 and benefit packages available today

Cons

Pay is a little below average
    Promotions seem to come to those that are "selected" in advance
    Positions are posted that have already been filled with the person they had in mind

Invite employees ides on what it would take for them to perform better

Strong technology opportunities

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very technically-driven organization; strong opportunities for technical staff to advance and make a difference. Personal growth and skills growth is an expectation across the organization. Many opportunities to see a breadth of technologies you won't find anywhere else.

Cons

Still very much a chemistry and materials company; pushing hard to incorporate software and electronics, but there are cultural challenges that make this challenging.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible and nice!

Current Employee - Tech Aide  in  Maplewood, MN
    Current Employee - Tech Aide in Maplewood, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

3M offers very flexible and friendly work place for its employees. Ideas are valued and encouraged so that is always nice but the biggest perk for me is the flexible work schedule.

Cons

The pay is ok but the benefits package (atleast for my level) suck so maybe that would be an area to improve on.

I think the managers I have come across are very involved yet keep there distance so maybe more interaction with employees.

Really great company, boring position

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M as an intern for less than a year

Pros

3M is an awesome company. The people who work there are great and friendly, the company is committed to improving both its bottom line and the world, and they are doing some very innovative things in the laboratory. It is a HUGE company with lots of divisions, so there is an ability to move around should you get bored in one area.

Cons

All the tasks assigned to me were quite mundane and easy. I finished everything much quicker than the time allotted, but then had nothing to do to fill the time despite asking.

Use the talent you have better!

Great Company

I worked at 3M full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, good manager

Cons

Nothing. Found another job in my expertise

None

Pretty good gig for full-timers looking for a safe job, contractors get a raw deal.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most people are great. No one on the ground treats contractors any different than 3Mers. Culture varies a lot by group (it's a huge company after all). My group was great, very relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Hopefully you got a job that interests you because there is little to no chance at advancement as a contract employee. Your manager will probably talk to you about a conversion, but their plans will be subject to 4+ managers and executives above them. Every time one of those positions changes, all plans get reevaluated (and very often thrown out the window). Since most management positions change every 2-5 years you are pretty much guaranteed to be chasing the full-time conversion for 3-6 years, but really it is never guaranteed and I promise you they will try to low-ball you on the offer (make sure you take those years to learn the pay scales and pay attention to min/max/market). Honestly, I had to have had one of the best contracts around (20 hrs per week, I set the hours, pay rate comparable to T3 engineer) but even I grew tired of it after 2 years and got a much better full-time job elsewhere.

Stop pretending that only next quarter matters. Your budget games hurt long-term shareholder value and demoralize your employees. You are in for a world of hurt when you finally realize that the younger workers are not chained to you like the older ones on a pension plan. Over the next 5 years you are letting half your experience walk out the door (retirement) with no effort to transfer knowledge. 5 years after that your most talented middle career employees will start job hunting after years of having multiple jobs dumped in their laps with bellow market pay.

Long term options

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company for career development, lots of options to move between divisions.

Cons

Large company can sometimes move slowly. They are cutting down on international placements.

Great company and amazing entrepreneurial culture

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great company to learn and grow. Lots of opportunities across divisions to have a skill variety. Great dynamics in R&D and commercialization and entrepreneurial efforts.

Cons

Leadership changes too often in recent years. Large organization issues, such as free-riders and stagnant employees in some divisions.

Strong, consistent company with great benefits and a developed, attainable business model.

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work-life balance, great benefits, strong leadership.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement outside of St. Paul, slightly below average competitive pay scale.

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!