3M

3M Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin

Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be(in 26 reviews)

• The best part of working there was the coworkers attitude and work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc(in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company(in 11 reviews)

Great Company, Great Values

Intern (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsI had an internship with 3M and it was a very rewarding experience. 3M is a very unique company that gives you an insight into many different industries. There were a lot of opportunities to be involved in the community and move around within the company.

ConsI didn't have many cons during the short time I was there but other employees did hint that the promotion process didn't seem fair.

Good place to work for College Students.

Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) DeKalb, IL

Prosreasonable pay
    nice culture
    good fellow employees

Conshard to move up
    long hours
    weekend work

Work Enviroment

ProsGreat company to work for.

ConsBenefits are getting weak but due to the way the economy is, it is understandable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep production employees involved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay for regular employees. Company is solid.

Temp Utility (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsThey take safety very seriously. training is very good and up to date. Union for regular employees. High Pay.

ConsTypical high demand for speed and accuracy; piece work. Little concern for temps, particularly older employees. Posted rules are ignored by supervisors and hourly employees. Don't readily consider suggested improvements.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring direct after temps have been working successfully for 2 or more years.

An established, successful company to gain useful engineering experince at

Technical Aide (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsTh environment has a hard-working, nice vibe to it. Training does not take too long.

ConsNot really any yet besides that benefits could be better

This is a good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary
    Company car
    Company credit cards
    Gas card
    They provide you with essentially everything you need to become successful.

ConsNot enough training in the products. They expect you to pick things up quickly and efficiently without any previous knowledge on the subject matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the training regiments

I work with some great people, but we aren't given much coherent direction with leadership constantly changing.

ProsThe pay is really well and there are good benefits for regular, full time employees.

ConsConversion from contractor to full time 3M employee is difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't run the software divisions with such a high contingent to employee ratio.

Good benefits, approval process on decisions is slow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsOverall stability and career mobility if you are willing to relocate to St Paul, MN (corp HQ) which have the best opportunities. Since 3M is such a large company, Employee Experience depends on the location and management there, and division and business you report into. The diversity of the products and industries is why there is overall stability. Great benefits including medical and sick pay.

ConsLarge company with lots of hurdles to navigate in order to move things forward. Pay could be better. 3M offers a lot of sick pay but there are those few employees that take advantage of it, while hurting their team and the company.

Product Developer at 3M

Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsCreate work-life balance. Great place to become exposed to various technologies and work closely with experts. Technical community is extremely collaborative and senior members do a create job of mentoring younger employees. Have 15% culture encouraging technical employees to explore projects outside of their current role.

Great benefits and pay.

ConsSomewhat of an "old-school" and culture. However, the amount of younger employees seems to increase every year, making the environment a little more lively.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade lab facilities.

Good place to learn out of college

ProsHuge company with tons of divisions to learn about and work in. Benefits are great and they value work-life balance.

ConsCurrent workforce has been around forever and is not very receptive to change.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for 3M? Contribute to the Community!