3M Reviews

Reset

supervision and favoritism

Current Employee - Production Operator in Medina, OH
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Medina, OH

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

excellent company to work for. great pay and benefits

Cons

if you say no to anything asked of you, be prepared to be blacklisted. to much overtime and not enough people

Advice to Management

BETTER COMMUNICATION AND INTERACTION!!! get out of the meetings and your office and see and talk to your employees

Upper management poorest I've ever seen. Most knew nothing of the product . Company moved this division from MN to TX.

Former Employee - Machine Operator/Shift Lead in Angleton, TX
    Former Employee - Machine Operator/Shift Lead in Angleton, TX

I worked at 3M full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New company to the area, excited about working there, Ended up being the worst work experience of my life. Benefits were good , excellent medical insurance.

Cons

Job wasn't bad, management had no experience with product. Most were transfers from other 3M facilities. Lack professionalism rampant through out organization.

Advice to Management

HR practices were the worse I've ever experienced. Personal vendettas and agendas were very slanted. Employee turnover rate very high for a reason.

3. Not what I was promised.

Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the employees and the flexibility of my hours. They allowed me to work my own hours, as long as I put in the 40 I was required to.

Cons

Didn't compensate me enough. Was not truthful in my employment. I was promised a raise, and after 8 months of asking and hearing excuses, they offered to renew my contract at the same amount. So I left.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in the offering stage of the hire. I was promised more than I was given.

5. Good pay, terrible on everything else

Current Employee - Production Employee
    Current Employee - Production Employee

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They pay really well for simple, brainless jobs. Get long breaks. Good benefits.

Cons

They go on and on about good health, and then force some of there people to work months in a row with no days off. They went non smoking in January and With the no smoking thing you cant even GO TO YOUR CAR all you can do is go to their "designated courtyard". The company is a big joke.

Advice to Management

Care more about the common man! All the workers on the production line are the people that really keep this company going, not the spoiled people in the offices! Stop taking away peoples rights, it doesnt hurt anyone to still allow smoking in the smoke shack. Oh and tell me how it is legal to make people work every day for almost six months in a row?

Big name with small successes.

Former Contractor - Service Desk Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Service Desk Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people here try their very best at what they do. You'll see a lot of projects and curiosity, the awe of being apart of a big name company will wear off quickly.

Cons

As a contractor, expect to stay one. One of the things 3M pride's itself in is not having lay-offs, don't be fooled. Every couple of months you'll hear of about 30 people being let go or getting an "extended vacation" because a project is on hiatus. Expect your stress levels to stay high while working here.

Advice to Management

Be honest, the stand ups are a joke when you try to BS your own employee's. Don't give false hope either, most of the time we hear of all the new recs available but then there's another lay-off and it's not even discussed at the stand ups. Your employee's worry for their job security, and it's not because of their ability to perform, it's because of the companies inability to be honest. Employee's are wanting to move up and explore the company yet there are so many closed doors, be open and discuss more possibilities with your employee's and provide proper compensation - they even have to pitch in for coffee so the company can distribute, at least provide your hard working employee's coffee.

3M Doesn't know electronics.

I have been working at 3M full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Flexible work schedules.

Cons

Knowledge or skills achieved in one business unit are prevented from being shared or utilized in other business units. For example, I was the only software engineer in my unit. I tried to access co-workers in another unit to discuss issues and ideas. But I was told that this was not allowed.

Advice to Management

Demolish the silos of your battling business units. Work together as a unit instead of competing against yourself.

Management disconnect, employees quitting, retiring early, transferring, anything to escape the chaos.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cumberland, WI

I have been working at 3M full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent vacation. 401K is performing OK at the moment.

Cons

False corporate values, everything is connected to cost cutting-EVERYTHING. Horrible decision making skills. Incompetent product managers that don't understand the process and how there decisions effect the product. Plant manager focused on trivial things because he is in over his head. HR looking to take away anything that has slipped through the cracks. Raises and yearly rating methods are a Class Action lawyers dream waiting to happen. Compensation levels vary so widely throughout the departments. Many newer operators doing the same tasks for $10 an hour less plus they don't get the pensions like the older employees but the expectations are the same. Promotions have nothing to do with ability, knowledge, education, or decision making abilities. What is needed is ability to not to disagree with other management, have a weak backbone, remove all independent though processes and rely on altering useless corporate metrics to make things look good at the quarterly reviews. Morale drops to a new low everyday, with no end in sight.

Advice to Management

Way too many mid and upper level management. Sooner or later there won't be nothing left to cut and shareholders will be looking to trim the corporate fat.

Old-school expectations (be a company wo/man), 21st century work-life balance (24x7x365)

Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Maplewood, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Maplewood, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Successful company with pretty good pay

Cons

Ridiculous travel expectations--3 weeks in Asia, multiple times per year When not traveling to Asia, expected to be constantly connected--answer emails all night Vacation--isn't. Check in email every morning and evening, minimum. Take calls as needed. The old-school benefits are gone--no pension, no banking vacation

Advice to Management

Work-life balance, new blood

10. Contractor at 3M

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at 3M as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good contract hourly pay rate.

Cons

Thrown into the fray without any training or leadership.

Advice to Management

Needs leadership.

11. Innovative products, political and outdated management practices

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time

Pros

competitive salary, international opportunities, innovative product offering, top-notch R&D department, adequate benefits

Cons

little room for lateral growth, not run as a meritocracy, incredibly political for career advancement, incompetent management, diversity is lacking, difficult to retain young talent

Advice to Management

Make this company an exciting place to work, rather than a stuffy 9-5 where middle management are promoted based on tenure. Compared to other fortune 500 companies in the Twin Cities, 3M has a reputation of being the place where the management is slow to adapt to the recent times. It is not going to win any "Best Places to Work" awards until it revises its middle manager structure.

RSS Feed </> Embed