3M Reviews

1. Ugh...

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

High salary. For an entry level Supply Chain Analyst out of college the base salary is 68k-75k plus bonus.

Cons

No access to sunlight. The buildings smell. Cramped cubicle and office life. People don't leave the company so a lot of people are there 30+ years and over 45% are due to retire in the next 5 years. 3M is very metric-centric. Get used to being chained with golden handcuffs bent over a laptop working on excel spreadsheets in your cube or office. Management is known for being micomanagers. There is no training for new employees. The company is not environmentally friendly--despite what they like to spin to the public. The buildings are dirty and floors are not vacuumed regularly. The people in the St Paul offices are not friendly. Do not come here if you are in your 20s or early 30s and want to make a difference. Only choose 3M if you need a high salary, don't care about the environment or sustainability and don't have a family you want to see at night. Salaried employees are expected to work 10-12 hour days.

Training for employees would be nice.

Process Engineer

I worked at 3M

Pros

Great work experience. Good environment for learning and growing.

Cons

Worked 50hours plus per week. No time for personal life. Upper management is micro managing.

3. Planning and Scheduling intricate and demanding manufacturing

Current Employee - Run Mtg No Glamor, But Part of Teamwork Needed to Serve Customers in Hutchinson, MN

I have been working at 3M

Pros

3M is as good as any company there is. Ethical leadership and well managed overall. Per capita, the ding-dong factor among employees is better.

Cons

Some individuals aren't diligent, diplomatic, or considerate enough in getting what they want.

Stick with the long term and focus on daily averages and not month end or quarter end. Long term customer satisfaction, growing markets, and ongoing profitability are far more important.

5. Fun, energetic place to work.

Former Employee - Picker/Sorter in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Picker/Sorter in DeKalb, IL

I worked at 3M

Pros

Driving a forklift and pulling products.

Cons

Long hours, designated smoke area too far from the plant entrance to take a break.

6. Worked at 3M for 11 plus years.

I worked at 3M

Pros

Experience with a lot of new tools and processes.

Cons

No work=life balance, benefits were bad, training was for the 1%, very political, didn't compensate competitively, all solutions came from corner office, employees got less and less

Keep it up drive yourself out of business. No one wants to work for an old stoggy environment that has no new ideas.

Used to be a good company in the 80's

Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Easy to switch divisions, lot of interesting areas to work in, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Nothing is done with poor performers, but God help you if you ever get depressed while you're working at 3M

Differentiate between dumb people and bright people, and groom them accordingly -- get rid of all the nepotism

Big Mistake for me

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome products
    Intelligent people
    Good discount
    EAP program for employees which helped "Me" deal with the hostile environment

Cons

Company does not accept new blood.
    Very hard to make friends.
    Employees think it is a WONDERFUL company, they have only been there so they don't know any different.
    It took me over 50 internal job applications to finally transfer out of one dept to go to another.
    No help from Human Resources, they support management not employees.

I worked extremely hard for your company for 4 years and received NO recognition for the hours I spent on a huge project. I did not feel at all welcome to join this company, new people are not respected in any way. So sorry I wasted 4 years of my life that I won't get back because of hearing how "Great" 3M was to work for.

Great Company

I have been working at 3M

Pros

Good Hours, Solid Pay, good upward and lateral movement opportunities depending on what type of job you want within 3M.

Cons

High Management turnover. Most upper management changes positions every 2 to 3 years, this makes the corporate message a moving target. Most higher level positions require relocation to St. Paul, MN.

10. Strong Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules are available depending on your job, not all are grandfathered into this but worth a request. Great Benefit program, employee discounts, good work-life balance but employees must be willing to do their part to make that work, no one is going to hand you the easy button.

Cons

Can be challenging to navigate other divisions or business groups if you are not familiar with the structure of that area, hard to get noticed for opportunities if you are not well known.

11. Do not grow older than 40

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M

Pros

stock program. Company store. Ability to change businesses

Cons

you will get your job eliminated when you become too expensive. No special considerations for employees with loyalty and performance.

Keep your talent and stop worrying about protection from lawsuits. Do the right thing. Better figure out the portfolio rationalization process so people who take career risks are not penalized. Spend money on growth not cutting costs with data and rationalization. SAP is sucking the life out of current investment in long term growth.