3M Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.7

3M Chairman President & CEO Inge G. Thulin
Inge G. Thulin

Pros
  • For those who are interested in work-life balance, this is a great place to be (in 34 reviews)

• Good benefits, solid team & leadership for the most part, good values, solid ethics (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is isolated in their private dining room / gym / parking, etc (in 13 reviews)

• Department organization is always fluid and upper management is often negative about the outlook of the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

The matrix is you friend…and your enemy

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a great depth of businesses within the company and a strong base of technology and new technology development.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be constricting and burdensome, as well as consuming energy and time. It stunts individual creativity and entrepreneurship.

Great for new-experience in Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Juan, PR

I have been working at 3M as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Worked as a Marketing Trainee (Intern) in one of their divisions. They Provide a great opportunity to learn about your area, with different tasks.

Cons

If you are new, it is a challenging way and you are competing with 5 or 6 interns more.

Older company that is slow on the technology front

Current Employee - Server - Applications Administrator in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Server - Applications Administrator in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent company to work for if you don't need to stay on the cutting edge of everything.

Cons

Company is known to employ a large number of contractors for a long time (due to it's large number of full time employees). You MAY have to put in a number of years before there is an opportunity to come on full time (if you are in the IT department).

None

Great Company, Great Values

Former Employee - Intern in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at 3M as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I had an internship with 3M and it was a very rewarding experience. 3M is a very unique company that gives you an insight into many different industries. There were a lot of opportunities to be involved in the community and move around within the company.

Cons

I didn't have many cons during the short time I was there but other employees did hint that the promotion process didn't seem fair.

Lot to learn about getting into Software

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Austin, TX

I have been working at 3M as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Always looking to build the business
    Great people to work with

Cons

Treats their contract workers like a used toy. Never know when that one day will come where they say "Sorry, you are no longer needed."
    While its good that 3M is trying to expand their business, they take on too much business, can't handle it all, and then panic.
    Have the manufacture mentality while trying to develop software. Plugging people in and out of software development doesn't work.

Nice co-workers, but they will work people to death

I worked at 3M as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at 3M as a contract employee. A lot of my co-workers were great and I really enjoyed getting to know them. If you can get in as an actual 3Mer and not a contract employee, you get great benefits.

Cons

They expect their employees to eat, breathe, sleep, and bleed 3M. They don't care about people as individuals -- everything is about profit, profit, profit and you are a cog in the machine before you are a human being. As a contract employee, they jerked me around -- a lot. And expressing my displeasure with that got me fired. There are also A LOT of meetings. I don't know how people get any work done because they are in meetings all day. Also, their new company policy is that 99.8% of the jobs require a bachelor degree, regardless of whether it is applicable to the specific job.

3M is good company to work for if the job is a good fit.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at 3M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good compared to other US companies. 3M treats employees well. Company is very ethical.

Cons

Focus on quarterly profits, sometime management decision hurt the company in the long run so department numbers look good. Because the company is so large, there is company bureaucracy. Because 3M is not a software company, IT is very strict on type computer, installed software, email software very old.

Research and Development needs more priority.

Positive

Former Employee - Material Planner in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Material Planner in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at 3M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay, positive learning environment.

Cons

Need better health insurance and more flexibility with work hours.

Just a number!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at 3M full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair benefits, good opportunity for advancement if you are willing to sacrifice your personal life.

Cons

No consideration for the personal life of their employees. As far as management is concerned, all they need is a warm body to fill any position. Management looks down on workers like they are machines that are malfunctioning when they are sick or need a vacation.

Don't ever mistake a new shiny four year degree for true intelligence. People that decided NOT to waste four years of their life in a classroom are just as capable of meeting and exceeding expectations as someone that did!

Good place to work for College Students.

Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operator in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at 3M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

reasonable pay
    nice culture
    good fellow employees

Cons

hard to move up
    long hours