3Play Media

Updated Jun 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jeremy Barrron

Awesome Side Job (for Quick Typists)

Editor (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsYou can make pretty unbelievable hourly rates if you pick files well and type quickly -- between $30 and $70 per hour for someone who types 100+ words per minute is absolutely reasonable if you're used to the system and all the standards. When I started three-ish years ago I was making maybe $10-$15 an hour, but three months in, it was up to $30 or so, and it's only gotten better since then.

The administrators are universally nice to work with.

Picking your own hours is, in general, extremely convenient.

A lot of the files are actually pretty interesting if you keep an open mind about things.

ConsIf you're depending on 3Play as a main source of income, you'll find yourself very, very anxious when the market dries up. Some files can also be boring, but all jobs have boring parts.

Get ready to pay a LOT of taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think ya'll should consider using WebSockets/Socket.IO/Node or something along those lines to push notifications to the market when jobs become available. I'll even code it for you. If you see this, you can probably guess which editor it is...

Fantastic Experience!

Remote Editor (Current Employee)

ProsLeadership is always responsive, supportive, and helpful. There is a large variety of work to suit your taste and/or timeframe. As other reviewers have mentioned, there can be a feast or famine appearance to project availability, but this is true across the board in this business, and not unique to 3Play. In fact, I have complete confidence that they are out there hustling for new projects on a daily basis. GREAT place to contract with!

ConsThe marketplace can be a dog-eat-dog environment when new work is posted, and the upcoming work indicator, while generally helpful, is kind of a crapshoot. That tantalizing big pile of work could be dropping in an hour, or you could stay up half the night refreshing the page and never see it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI make great money, love the company, and have worked well with every management person I've ever had to interact with. The maybe now/maybe later/maybe never nature of the market forecast tool is the only thing I get frustrated with.

Flexibility

Remote Editor (Current Employee)

ProsThis job is great because you can use this job as supplemental income or as your full income (the latter requires a huge time commitment).

ConsI really see no cons. It's a great opportunity for people of all ages. Maybe if I were to ask for one more thing, it would be some type of health care for workers. Of course, it's an independent contracting job so that's a no go.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

...

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsGreat personalities who are all at the top of their game. It is easy to respect and admire everyone there because they work hard but still embrace balance and humility.

ConsOn the marketing side, things can move slowly... with perfection often becoming the enemy of progress.

Four co-founders make for an executive team that crave democracy. Mutual respect is great and it is evident throughout this company, but stalling projects to have a meeting over everything is counterproductive, and doesn't necessarily lead to the best decisions.

Good Part-Time Work

Remote Editor (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, no weekly work commitment, interesting subject matter, friendly and professional management. Pay is by productivity and at a pretty high rate, which works out to excellent hourly compensation once you become faster at editing.

ConsWorking as a contractor is not good tax-wise. Sometimes there's as much work as you care to do, but often there is none at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny way to mitigate the unpredictable ups and downs of work flow would be nice.

Great for Supplemental Income

Remote Editor (Current Employee)

ProsReally flexible work and more feast than famine lately. The work can be very interesting and varied in topic and difficulty. If there's a discrepancy between the rate and the quality of the file, management is great in responding. They're also very friendly and informative. It is wonderful for a little extra money if you have the time or if you're in a pinch. They're definitely on the up-and-up.

ConsSome of the files can be very boring and more time-intensive than accounted for, especially now that a new payment structure was introduced. It definitely helps to clarify the difficulty of some files, but the difference adds up if the files are longer. Now that a graph is available detailing the averages of editors and where you fall on it, I have no idea how anyone makes more than about $12 an hour before taxes doing this. For even the above average typist with a solid grasp on grammar, it isn't very lucrative nor sensible to warrant it being something other than supplemental income.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really do think management is great! They keep editors generally in the loop, and that's always appreciated. But some sort of way to motivate editors would be great, too.

Great place for extra work

Transcript Editor (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility
    Ease of use of company website and job dashboard
    Great feedback and training
    Work is interesting and informative

ConsNot enough work to do full-time
    Sometimes videos can be dull and boring to edit
    As in any telecommuting position, you do not get to interact with co-workers

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any. I'm quite happy with the work environment and feedback I receive. They also give webinars frequently to answer questions and address issues.

Friendly Management, But Not Sufficient Pay For Full-Time Work

Cambridge, MA

ProsThe managers at 3Play are incredibly friendly and responsive whenever I have questions or run into problems.
    The files are often interesting; I've transcribed many documentaries, internal company files, and other fun files that have provided inside glimpses into worlds that I may not have even known existed.
    You get to choose your own hours.
    The software is fun to use.

ConsRecently, the company added a feedback mechanism through which you can compare your speed and accuracy to other editors with similar experience. I'd always assumed I wasn't very efficient, but it turns out I actually rate very highly compared to other editors--and considering I typically make about $10 an hour before taxes, that means that most of us aren't coming close to the $30 an hour that it's supposedly possible to make. This would be a nice way to make a bit of extra money on the side, but trying to do it full time has left me feeling pretty dispirited. I typically work 10-12 hour days and log extra time on the weekends so that I can just barely pay the bills. There is no sense of community or reward for hard work.
    Right now, the market is very dry, and the only way you can be guaranteed a job is to sit and refresh the screen over and over again until something comes up. Even then, you can't be guaranteed that another editor won't grab the job first. I understand that it's important to have a large body of editors for the times when there's a lot of work, but that means when the marketplace is slow, it's very, very difficult to compete against so many other editors. Oh, and working as a contractor is awful. The tax rate is terrible and you get no health insurance or benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way the marketplace is currently set up makes things very difficult, especially in times of famine. There must be a better way than requiring editors to endlessly hit the Refresh button.

3Play Media provides excellent training, challenging work and supportive feedback to its remote editors.

Cambridge, MA

ProsComplete flexibility as to where, when and how to perform the work.
    Quick turnaround with QA feedback after each project is completed.
    Opportunities to learn while working on projects from major businesses and educational institutions.
    Satisfaction knowing the work is contributing to the development of better voice-recognition software.
    Personal contact with 3Play management that gives the feeling that we are all part of the same team.
    Particularly fast typists can potentially make $15-25 per hour equivalent.

ConsIf one is not a particularly fast typist, it is extremely difficult to exceed even Minimum Wage level.
    Work availability is "Feast or Famine"; weeks can pass without any projects being made available.
    Not all of the available work is necessarily appealing.

Advice to Senior Management3Play Media management might consider some sort of bonus, reward or incentive program to encourage editors to strive toward greater productivity. Additional praise and acknowledgement can go a long way toward that goal.

Great work for the efficient, at-home editor.

Transcription Editor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and resources. Constant, constructive feedback. One can make a decent wage if constantly grabbing the audio files on the market. You have to be a very quick typist, and you MUST know your grammar/quality standards; but many resources/guides are made available to you to help hone your skills. Very understanding staff of management and quality assurance experts.

ConsUnpaid training, though it isn't a very lengthy process. Inconsistent work, though much higher now that they've contracted with more employers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps make the "work forecast" tool a bit more accurate.

Worked for 3Play Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3Play Media reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 3Play Media CEO Jeremy Barrron. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by 3Play Media employees.