3Play Media

4.3

Jeremy Barrron

Excellent opportunity

Current Contractor - Transcript Editor

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours; work is completed remotely; management is fair and is always a pleasure to interact with; pay can be very good once you get used to the system; many jobs have fascinating content and are a true pleasure to transcribe.

Cons

Deadlines can be tight. As a prior reviewer noted, the nature of the editing system makes files extremely tedious when the voice recognition software doesn't do a good job of picking up dialogue. Some files with poor audio quality can hurt your ears, as the dialogue you're supposed to transcribe is soft but ambient noises or sources closer to the microphone are loud. When the marketplace is slow, you can spend a significant amount of time simply trying to claim work, and naturally you don't get paid for that.

Keep up the good work. TO ANY 3PLAY EDITORS READING THIS, do you not agree that we should have a forum to communicate with one another? Management isn't likely to provide this for us, but there's nothing stopping us from interacting outside of 3Play and holding discussions with one another. I created a closed subreddit for discussions about working as a transcript editor. Come join me there at reddit dot com/r/3playeditors! Send me a request to join the forum, and I'll add you!

Great flexible work-at-home job!

Current Contractor - Transcript Editor

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

This job is a wonderful opportunity for grammar nerds and fast typists. You get to work whenever you want and how much you want (so long as you meet the deadlines) and there is no minimum work requirement. You choose which files you want to transcribe and can even preview the content before you claim the work. Pay rates are set based upon the estimated difficulty of each file. Content ranges from educational/instructional lectures and interviews to more fun stuff like movies and TV shows. The general work interface is very easy to navigate, and the staff is very kind and helpful when it comes to addressing questions and concerns as well as accommodating certain requests.

Cons

As mentioned in previous reviews, the market is a feast or famine environment. During the famine periods, you may have to constantly refresh the market page and claim the first file that pops up before someone else does. While you can still choose which files you want to work on, sometimes you may have no choice but to claim difficult/boring files if you want any work at all.
    Also, unlike other transcriptionist jobs, this position calls for you to make edits to computer-generated drafts. While it can serve as a godsend for certain files (particularly those with clear audio and no foreign accents), the nature of the editing tool can make the process rather painstaking with files that require a lot of manual editing. However, usually you can tell from the pay rate if the automatic speech recognizer did a good job or not.

Might want to slow down on hiring new contractors until the market picks up significantly again. Otherwise, keep up the great work!

Great work, not so great pay.

Current Contractor - Editor in Cambridge, MA
    Current Contractor - Editor in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing about this job, of course, is that it's from home. No commute, no office politics, no annoying co-workers. The management team is quick to respond. They are also polite and informative. They are willing to work with you when you run into problems or need to brush up on policies or grammar.
    The work is almost always interesting. As an editor of closed captioning, you're constantly watching interesting content. This ranges from TV shows and movies to educational videos. The system used to complete files is great, other than the glitches (mentioned in Cons).

Cons

The pay is the biggest sticking point. It is based on an algorithm that determines how difficult the job is likely to be. But this algorithm is often just wrong. You may take a job expecting to earn approximately $10-$16 an hour and end up earning under minimum wage. While you can preview these transcription files beforehand, it's often not enough to tell whether the file is worth the time; whether you'll even hit the minimum wage ($7.25, federally). To be clear, one can make $10-$16, but it's usually probably closer to $8-$12 for me. And obviously it varies wildly.
    The work isn't always steady. They have great influxes of work, and then periods ("slumps") where everyone is competing to take a file (making it more difficult to decide if the file is worth the compensation). The system used to edit files can be glitchy. The spell check and duplicate flagging is a mess. The standards change from job to job and aren't always clear (though the message board provides quick answers, this can still be burdensome).

My only advice likely has less to do with management than it does with the workforce, the contractors. Pay your independent contractors more for the jobs they're doing. I realize this comes from the client and the algorithm, but 3Play Media may need to take a smaller cut, demand more from their contractors, or adjust their algorithm.

Decent company but not enough pay for a full - time gig.

Current Employee - Transcription Editor
    Current Employee - Transcription Editor

I have been working at 3Play Media (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no quotas, responsive management, continuously improving software. Good variety of subject matter.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of time spent on a file. Rates are set for difficulty of files, but they're not always accurate. Deadlines can be extremely tight.

Awesome Side Job (for Quick Typists)

Current Contractor - Editor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Editor in Boston, MA

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make pretty unbelievable hourly rates if you pick files well and type quickly -- between $30 and $70 per hour for someone who types 100+ words per minute is absolutely reasonable if you're used to the system and all the standards. When I started three-ish years ago I was making maybe $10-$15 an hour, but three months in, it was up to $30 or so, and it's only gotten better since then.

The administrators are universally nice to work with.

Picking your own hours is, in general, extremely convenient.

A lot of the files are actually pretty interesting if you keep an open mind about things.

Cons

If you're depending on 3Play as a main source of income, you'll find yourself very, very anxious when the market dries up. Some files can also be boring, but all jobs have boring parts.

Get ready to pay a LOT of taxes.

I think ya'll should consider using WebSockets/Socket.IO/Node or something along those lines to push notifications to the market when jobs become available. I'll even code it for you. If you see this, you can probably guess which editor it is...

Fantastic Experience!

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership is always responsive, supportive, and helpful. There is a large variety of work to suit your taste and/or timeframe. As other reviewers have mentioned, there can be a feast or famine appearance to project availability, but this is true across the board in this business, and not unique to 3Play. In fact, I have complete confidence that they are out there hustling for new projects on a daily basis. GREAT place to contract with!

Cons

The marketplace can be a dog-eat-dog environment when new work is posted, and the upcoming work indicator, while generally helpful, is kind of a crapshoot. That tantalizing big pile of work could be dropping in an hour, or you could stay up half the night refreshing the page and never see it.

I make great money, love the company, and have worked well with every management person I've ever had to interact with. The maybe now/maybe later/maybe never nature of the market forecast tool is the only thing I get frustrated with.

Flexibility

Current Contractor - Remote Editor

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

This job is great because you can use this job as supplemental income or as your full income (the latter requires a huge time commitment).

Cons

I really see no cons. It's a great opportunity for people of all ages. Maybe if I were to ask for one more thing, it would be some type of health care for workers. Of course, it's an independent contracting job so that's a no go.

...

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at 3Play Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great personalities who are all at the top of their game. It is easy to respect and admire everyone there because they work hard but still embrace balance and humility.

Cons

On the marketing side, things can move slowly... with perfection often becoming the enemy of progress.

Four co-founders make for an executive team that crave democracy. Mutual respect is great and it is evident throughout this company, but stalling projects to have a meeting over everything is counterproductive, and doesn't necessarily lead to the best decisions.

Good Part-Time Work

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, no weekly work commitment, interesting subject matter, friendly and professional management. Pay is by productivity and at a pretty high rate, which works out to excellent hourly compensation once you become faster at editing.

Cons

Working as a contractor is not good tax-wise. Sometimes there's as much work as you care to do, but often there is none at all.

Any way to mitigate the unpredictable ups and downs of work flow would be nice.

Great for Supplemental Income

I have been working at 3Play Media as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Really flexible work and more feast than famine lately. The work can be very interesting and varied in topic and difficulty. If there's a discrepancy between the rate and the quality of the file, management is great in responding. They're also very friendly and informative. It is wonderful for a little extra money if you have the time or if you're in a pinch. They're definitely on the up-and-up.

Cons

Some of the files can be very boring and more time-intensive than accounted for, especially now that a new payment structure was introduced. It definitely helps to clarify the difficulty of some files, but the difference adds up if the files are longer. Now that a graph is available detailing the averages of editors and where you fall on it, I have no idea how anyone makes more than about $12 an hour before taxes doing this. For even the above average typist with a solid grasp on grammar, it isn't very lucrative nor sensible to warrant it being something other than supplemental income.

I really do think management is great! They keep editors generally in the loop, and that's always appreciated. But some sort of way to motivate editors would be great, too.