3Sharp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philip Welt

2 Month SharePoint PM Contactor

Project Manager (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsSmart and dedicated leaders and employees. Growing slowly but intelligently staying grounded and focused on their strong qualities, Microsoft products, while growing into large accounts. The PM organization has great leadership and talent. Excellent place to grow and develop you Microsoft knowledge base, they stay on the latest versions.

ConsSr. Leaders have tough decision in releasing information (showing cards) and worrying about talent leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate but understand its the nature of the business to use contractors so frequently. It would be cost beneficial to use the same ones so not to learn the systems again. Good luck, I wish you well and would love the opportunity to work there again.

Smart people empowered to achieve their goals

Redmond, WA

ProsThis is without a doubt the best work experience I've ever had. I have worked for more money, for companies that do more glamorous things, great office perks. But none of that matters if the environment, values and morale isn't there. 3Sharp has incredibly low turnover, and here's why: you work alongside smart people who collaborate across teams; you're empowered to get your work done, to pitch ideas, to take on new responsibilities. The management team takes a thoughtful approach to business strategy and growth. Training and continued learning is encouraged. Meetings are productive. Employees are engaged and like working together - you don't need the company to plan events all the time because someone will decide to just do something nice for the office (hot cocoa bar) or organize a group potluck.

ConsIt's a growing company so workload is inconsistent over the course of the year, resulting in some very busy times and slower times. During the slower times, training is encouraged though.

Awesome place to work!

Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsGreat people to work with, very smart and technically savvy! Work/life balance is a part of the 3Sharp culture and the partners place high importance on this. 3Sharp provides a great place to grow and develop technical/professional skills. Bottom line: this is a great place to work!

ConsThere can be slow times, but I don't really view this as a negative because the 3Sharp management encourage employees to use the down time to invest in training.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's encouraging to see the path the partners have set for 3Sharp, stay focused. We are growing and it's exciting to be a part of!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Pros3Sharp has a rather relaxed work environment. The people here are pretty great and I've got along with everyone here rather well. The partners are available and have an open door policy, which is awesome as issues get taken care of pretty quickly. Most people have a long tenure, being here for 5 - 10 years which goes a long way to show how good of a place to work at this is.

The work is just the right level of challenging; It's not boring and it's not mind-bendingly insane. Overall I've loved working here.

ConsWe tend to underestimate the hours needed for a lot of hours. This does cause quite a bit of rushing near the end of projects, or working longer than anticipated on projects. Also there is very little, if any consistency with the methodologies used.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to work out a better way to estimate the time it will take for projects. Also working to develop, be consistent with, and enforce methodologies would be a huge bonus.

A Consulting Company with a Conscious

Redmond, WA

Pros3Sharp provides a noticeably fresh perspective towards their employee base, in comparison with my previous experiences at consulting-type organizations. They value life outside the workplace and strongly advocate a manageable work/life balance. And, if long hours are logged, employees are often acknowledged/rewarded for their over-and-above contributions. The work performed keeps the talented employee base engaged. They are empowered to own the success of their inputs, which often leads to world-class deliverables. Employees are also encouraged to embark on training initiatives (which the company funds) within their respective fields to keep skill sets sharp. Compensation and benefits are competitive, not to mention potential for profit sharing.

And if none of what I have identified above accurately conveys the satisfaction within the 3Sharp workplace, take into account the average employee tenure. Despite the size of the organization, most employees have chosen a lengthy tenure (5+ years) - which should speak volumes in regards to employee satisfaction. I too share in this level of satisfaction and look forward to increasing my own tenure with this talented group.

ConsSimilar to other organizations of comparable size, there are often ebbs and flows in regards to workloads. However, management is routinely evaluating leading indicators to anticipate these cycles and adjust schedules accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the defined path, cultivate additional pipelines where it makes sense, continue to place high value on your employees.

Just finished our best year, looking to continue upward trend

ProsTerrific folks to work with and to work for. Employees and contractors are uniformly talented and intelligent but diverse and mutually respectful of each other. Teams like to work hard but also have a good time. I believe in general hiring has been a strong suit for 3Sharp. Lots of trust with flexible schedules but accountability to get the work done and deliver with high quality. Last year was our best yet with more diversity in our customer base and expanded relationships with existing customers. Management has improved over the years and solidified by bringing in more experienced and diverse Partners.

ConsAll the challenges of a small services company. Nearly 100% of our revenue comes from professional services, so it's critical to keep the pipeline full. There's no outside funding, nor do we have any product that brings in a steady revenue stream, so the challenge is to always be finding new work while finishing the jobs we've already closed. 3Sharp has largely done so successfully (including during some rough economic times), but it's a constant focus to continually bring in new work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the newly implemented goals and processes, and forge ahead with plans for improved sales and marketing.

Stronger by the year

Senior Solutions Consultant (Current Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsA small but talented bunch of employees who are passionate about technology and their work. The team-based solution delivery approach is in sharp contrast to many other SharePoint consulting outfits in the market who operate like a body shop. This has not only boosted employee satisfaction, but client satisfaction as well.

The work-life balance is excellent - thanks in part to a generous PTO, but mostly due to the flexible nature of the work. The compensation is also competitive.

The relaxed and casual culture is a refreshing break from the corporate political jungle that I see much too often in the much bigger client organizations. Despite the laid-backness, team always comes together when it comes to delivery.

ConsThe health benefits could be better.

Demo project work is a double-edged sword: while it forces employees to learn new tools and stay on the cutting edge of latest and greatest technologies, it can also drag into months and months of monotonous project work.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to a wider audience and diversify the pool of job applicants.

The management has had challenges in the past, but am glad to see it cleaned up its act the last few years. The new operational tools and KPIs have practically attained an operational excellence for the company! The "full transparency" mantra seems to have paid off, as employees are feeling more accountable for the bottom-line of the company as a whole.

Three years and a lot of changes

ProsA lot has changed over the past three years; management has brought in new talent; there has been refocusing of management strategy and vision; and different professional business advisors have all contributed positively in implementing signficant managment processes. The company runs much more now by data and metrics, and has a lot more "tools in the toolbox" - overall a much clearer vision and strategy. The company continues to grow and acquire good technical talent, and retention is high. Employee satisfaction is high, and remuneration is in keeping with local industry equivalents.

ConsNot all the 2012 goals were met; big steps were made in some areas but efforts to reach into a particular new industry met with some difficulties. Talent acquisition remains tricky but 3Sharp has a multi-tier approach to deal with this.

It was cool while it lasted

SharePoint Consultant (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsA fun place to work. The staff was comprised of some very nice people and all of them seemed to be very talented. Everyone were very approachable, except the partners.

ConsNo leadership, no vision, no money, no plan. Growth without the business to support it. Very poor planning. Cramped uncomfortable offices. No one in charge. Poor security. Bad facilities. Aloof partners. Impossible to get anything done because no one was in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some management talent and let them manage. There was one manager, who I didn't work for while I was there, and you laid him off a few months before you laid me off. He seemed to know more about managing than anyone else there. Perhaps try that again

Small Company with big problems.

Developer (Former Employee)
    Redmond, WA

ProsReally nice people who possess a high level of technical ability. I was impressed by almost everyone.

ConsNot a scintilla of management skill. Lots of guys with project management skill, but no one in sight who had any idea of how to lead a company. Very poor internal communication. People in senior roles because who they are related to. Only one client. Unable to retain talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay small. Try and grow again and you're likely to fail utterly.

Worked for 3Sharp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at 3Sharp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for 3Sharp CEO Philip Welt. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by 3Sharp employees.