4C Associates

Be The First To
Add Photos

4C Associates Managing Director Edward Ainsworth

Edward Ainsworth

At times frustrating, at times rewarding

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people.
    A culture which encourages you to take the initiative.
    Depending on which client you are on, you may work on some very interesting projects.

ConsNot a company that makes you feel valued.
    A lack of focus in terms of what the actual offer is.
    More transparency needed.
    You can end up stuck on a client - although this is typical of a small consultancy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after all of your staff, not just your favourites.

If you've ever known how the company handles the last day of many of its former employees, then you know 4C's true color

Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsCorporate culture; 9 to 5 working style

ConsPoor operating model & project management

Advice to Senior Managementyou think you are showing off your leadership, you are not!

Not the best company for people early in their careers

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsFair bit of independence in how you work with your client

ConsVery similar work, lack of experience with senior managers leave you on your own in the engagements

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on hiring more experienced people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

ProsFlexible and small reactive company. If you are doing well you can get very far

ConsFlexible and small comany, so if you want a quiet place to hide, this is not for you.

Good working environment

Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsEntrepreneurial firm- You engage in business development even at the most junior level- the exposure is brilliant.
    Very good on social side- monday footballs, wednesday cake shops, friday drinks etc. Helping support staff.
    Smart guys- Guys at senior as well as junior level are bright.
    Specialism- Focus on procurement and supply chain means that as an employee you develop an exhaustive understanding of these areas.

ConsSpecialism- The firm's offering is quite clear- operational consulting firm with specific focus on procurment and supply chain- If you are happy with this outline, then no problem.

Fab time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the opportunity to work with some very bright and friendly people. I worked on many interesting projects for a range of clients and 4C is a very social place to be.

ConsIf you don't like constantly changing priorities, this place isn't for you.

Working at 4C

Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people
    Interesting clients
    Varied work
    Good work/life balance

ConsHigh staff turnover
    Internal communication

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency needed.

Thought leader in procurement? I THINK NOT!!

ProsFriendly people Friendly people Friendly people

Cons- Boring work - 4C is very tacitcal in its approach to delivering cost savings (i.e. tendering and negotiations). Not quite sure what value we bring to our clients, when they could do this themselves.
    - Poor internal training facilities
    - Poor employee development program
    - Uncompetitive pay
    - Promotion is never based on merit, but on how much you are liked by senior management
    - Terrible leadership - the CEO needs to go

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of of HR, the CEO and start afresh

Lead By Example? Not Exactly....!

Senior Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDelivery staff / Category Managers / Consultants with a good attitude and genuine capability

ConsA business led by a CEO that's detached from the realities of consultancy/outsourcing, and a leadership team/Managing Partners that are autocratic, lack interpersonal skills and are short-sighted in their treatment of staff.

The move to 'Cost Transformation' (whatever that means?!), has coincided with unrealistic organisational goals around revenue and profitability that demotivates staff and reduces the likelihood of bonus attainment.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat others as you want to be treated...

Not what it says on the tin mixed with boring work and poor treatment of staff

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome really nice people here. They have picked up a few interesting clients that you get exposure to. It is possible to get experience of working across different categories of spend. You can get involved in business development activities, mentoring, knowledge sharing and organising events.

ConsThe structure here is odd. In other consultancies the senior management are responsible for bringing in new business. Here they are mainly reliant on one person who isn't full time. The rest appear to hide behind fixing 'problems' on accounts, delivery or internal processes (most of which are delegated to junior members of staff to deliver). In essence none of us are sure about what they actually do, because bringing in new business they don't.

Procurement strategy, Procurement transformation and TCO is not something 4C get involved in much. Nor Cost Transformation. Most of their work is driven by tactical behaviours to deliver quick wins and in-year savings through tendering and negotiations. They will teach you how to do spend analysis and reporting, but mainly on spreadsheets. They have limited experience in using advanced procurement tools and market information. So mid-level and junior staff are left exposed to clients who know more than they do and are sceptical about the value they bring. All of this makes the work repetitive and boring.

If you want to get involved in strategic work then try getting a job at other consultancies or stay in-house. With 4C's lack of ability to attract a large number of clients and fear of losing their existing one's then you will get stuck on one account for potentially your entire length of service at 4C, negating the variety that you should get by working for a consultancy firm. You will only get moved if you threaten to resign and this strategy tends to work if you want a payrise or promotion.

The level of support you get here can go from one extreme to another. At one end it is very limited and at the other it is extreme micromanagement down to the hour with very little room to breath. The hours are long, with limited rewards driven by overcommitting to clients by senior management.

Poor performance is not tolerated and there will be limited support to turn this round.

There are alot of companies in the marketplace who do procurement consultancy and outsourcing, make sure you have explored them all before considering 4C.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood and take a long hard look at the business model and staff. Then rebrand and start again.

Worked for 4C Associates? Contribute to the Community!