5280 Solutions

Updated Mar 25, 2014

Mark Voegele

A Good Place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsSolid Industry, a company that provides good customer service and is seeking to build upon their successes. The people who run this company understand what it's like to be in the trenches with the geeks and value their people. Work life balance is getting better. Many weeks are only 40 hours. Time off compensation is great!

ConsBehind on technology, and are only now finally warming up to Agile methodologies. Sometimes you do have projects that take longer hours. And the major business season is from July through September, so you need to plan your summer vacations accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on a single process and using technology to make that process possible. Make newer technology for developed products a priority and look to expand into new avenues of business with the financial systems you offer.

5280 Solutions is a great place to work

IT Engineer (Current Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsA true performance based company. Great if you are a performer.
    Most managers are leaders, not managers.
    Always looking to the future and new ideas.
    Majority of employees have 5+ years.
    Fun, relaxed environment to work.

ConsA lot of complaints about salaries being low, but offset by over 22 days off/year to start and other Pros listed.
    Medical benefits could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the benefits. The high deductible might keep premiums down, but some of us would consider a higher premium for a PPO like plan with no or smaller deductible. I do appreciate the quarterly challenges to earn money to help offset the deductible.

Overall great environment and employees

Director (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsVery good corporate culture but has changed as company size has grown. OK benefits

ConsPay could be better. Typically slightly lower than average market.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive management - Keep up the great job leading.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great leadership, small business culture and work-life balance

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsLeadership with vision. Small business culture. Very conscious of work-life balance. Empowered to address issues in your own dept. or area.

ConsNot really an IT shop, be should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote to management from within technical disciplines.

Great company, interesting work, good management

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsGreat place to work! Proactive management, friendly environment, good growth ops if you are interested.

ConsI really enjoy working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany long term employees like 10 or 15 years here testify to the fact that management does it right.

Mixed bag

Software Developer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsKnowledge sharing and team building is encouraged. Lots of talented people. Frequent and open communication among team members and project manager.

ConsIf you are not liked, some people go out of their way to make you miserable. I was not one of them, but I saw it happen to several people who never knew why they were targets.

I'd Reccommend This Company

Contract IT Developer (Current Employee)

ProsGood place to work. They treat people very well.

ConsNo real complaints so far.

We Lost That Loving Feeling

Software Developer (Current Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsSmart coworkers but they don't make up for the poor upper management. A decent amount of freedom to balance your work life and personal life but not much else. Compensation is okay but they are still working at bringing back bonuses... I am looking other places after being here 3 years.

ConsI have worked at worse places but not many. We are being told to fill out "good reviews" on Glassdoor... If that doesn't seem right to you it's because it isn't. This company will be gone in 24 months or less. They squander talent and are so tied to their process that good ideas and solutions are lost in favor of process (NOT AGILE). I've watched this company go from 'promising' to 'ugly'. The outside hires in management we have brought in have been a detriment to the organization, and our director is paying enough attention to be aware of this. The healthcare is deplorable, the methodology is painful and not really anything but waterfall with stand ups. The office is uninviting, and the technology is dated. Go look at our sites on your mobile devices... we don't develop for mobile so we are 7 years behind the curve. Too married to Microsoft products and process to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease leave you office once in a while and walk the floor. To Todd and everyone back East, open your eyes and listen to all the complaints.

Oncall

Software Developer (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsNice people, location/facilities and earned time off. Flexibility to work from home at times. Nice corporate structure and environment with perks like coffee and discounts.

ConsA lot of on-call shifts and horrible benefits. $2400 deductible! One of the worst benefits packages I've ever seen. Since your Earned Time Off accumulates, it'll take awhile before you feel like you can take some time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into establishing better benefits packages and hiring specialized individuals to handle on-call duties

I miss the commute

Software Developer (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsFor me the commute was about 8 minutes each way. Also, the people on my immediate team were very good to work with.

ConsMany....outdated systems, very poor management communication, very "clique like" environment for the people that have been there for a while but my biggest complaint is with the very poor quality of management. I worked there for a number of years and during my tenure the environment never got better, only worse as Nelnet became more involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have shared some advice and/or suggestions while I worked there if you had been even remotely interested.

Worked for 5280 Solutions? Contribute to the Community!