5280 Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. We Lost That Loving Feeling

Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers but they don't make up for the poor upper management. A decent amount of freedom to balance your work life and personal life but not much else. Compensation is okay but they are still working at bringing back bonuses... I am looking other places after being here 3 years.

Cons

I have worked at worse places but not many. We are being told to fill out "good reviews" on Glassdoor... If that doesn't seem right to you it's because it isn't. This company will be gone in 24 months or less. They squander talent and are so tied to their process that good ideas and solutions are lost in favor of process (NOT AGILE). I've watched this company go from 'promising' to 'ugly'. The outside hires in management we have brought in have been a detriment to the organization, and our director is paying enough attention to be aware of this. The healthcare is deplorable, the methodology is painful and not really anything but waterfall with stand ups. The office is uninviting, and the technology is dated. Go look at our sites on your mobile devices... we don't develop for mobile so we are 7 years behind the curve. Too married to Microsoft products and process to survive.

Advice to Management

Please leave you office once in a while and walk the floor. To Todd and everyone back East, open your eyes and listen to all the complaints.

2. Oncall

Former Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, location/facilities and earned time off. Flexibility to work from home at times. Nice corporate structure and environment with perks like coffee and discounts.

Cons

A lot of on-call shifts and horrible benefits. $2400 deductible! One of the worst benefits packages I've ever seen. Since your Earned Time Off accumulates, it'll take awhile before you feel like you can take some time off.

Advice to Management

Look into establishing better benefits packages and hiring specialized individuals to handle on-call duties

3. I miss the commute

I worked at 5280 Solutions full-time

Pros

For me the commute was about 8 minutes each way. Also, the people on my immediate team were very good to work with.

Cons

Many....outdated systems, very poor management communication, very "clique like" environment for the people that have been there for a while but my biggest complaint is with the very poor quality of management. I worked there for a number of years and during my tenure the environment never got better, only worse as Nelnet became more involved.

Advice to Management

I would have shared some advice and/or suggestions while I worked there if you had been even remotely interested.

5. Good company overall with some flaws

Current Employee - Software Developer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work from home policy is a very good part of the company. They seem to listen to the staff at the meetings. They are interested in a work-life balance.

Cons

They have way too much red tape for their own good. Process slowdowns make getting things done frustrating. They overplay their profits, overplay their innovation and overplay their IT solutions. Most of their processes are based on their fear of change and lack of concrete controls to protect the systems.

Advice to Management

Take some time to clean up your processes, controls and reduce the red-tape.

6. Great Place to Work!!

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time

Pros

Feel valued, strong leadership team, leadership is approachable, do the right thing mentality, work hard / play hard, limited travel, great office space

Cons

Some older technologies mixed in with new

7. Dynamic fun work enviornment and management that cares about its people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress Monday through Friday, generous earned time off benefits, working with very talented associates, understanding and supportive management, fun relaxed culture and flexibility in scheduling. Outstanding overall organization.

Cons

The fulltime employee salaries a little behind the current market rate but benefits usually bridge the gap from an overall compensation standpoint.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

I have been working at 5280 Solutions

Pros

The people are by far the best I've worked with. They encourage growth, development and at the same time want you to achieve a balance of life outside of work with what you love. The leaders and managers inspire you to be the best you can be both at work and outside of work with your other passions. The people at 5280 care about each other as a family and care about the communities we live in by giving back. This is a genuine care that goes far beyond anything I have experienced in other jobs. When I talk to people who have left, the almost always want to come back or at least have seen the difference between working for such a great company versus other companies that are out there. It's hard to explain the magic of working here to someone who hasn't experienced it but once you are here and do experience it, you really don't want to leave for so many reasons. I would recommend anyone I know to work at 5280 and would know that it would be an amazing life experience to anyone who did work here.

Cons

I love challenge and change and that is a constant here. From those I've talked to that have a harder time with change, this would be an opportunity to learn how to adapt and move quickly. It can be taxing but it teaches you how to think on your feet and be resourceful. That adaptabiltiy and resourcefulness is rewarded though and appreciated by everyone else that works with you.

Advice to Management

I've never worked for better leaders in my career and would doubt that I would find that same level of high integrity, care, fun and loyalty anywhere else I go. I will always remember this experience and have nothing but positive to say about the leaders and 5280 as a whole.

9. 5280 Solutions is a wonderful place to work.

Current Employee - Desktop Engineer in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Desktop Engineer in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at 5280 Solutions

Pros

This company is people-oriented and cares for the employee.

Cons

Sometimes the work-load is heavy.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions

Pros

Successful mid-size company with good benefits (401k match, welness program, stock-purchase plan, HSA contributions, training and education reimbursements and on-site gym) and great employees.

Cons

Due to government contract, the company must adhere to more stringent security requirements, and you may need to pass a more extensive background check.

Advice to Management

You lead by example, you listen to your workforce, and you've proven your merit over the past few years. You're doing a great job.

11. A company that is willing to listen to it's employees and invest in change

Current Employee - Infrastructure in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Infrastructure in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at 5280 Solutions

Pros

Get to work with state of the art technology. Get to influence technology decisions and a place where top performers are recognized and rewarded. Good work life balance.

Cons

Missing a lot of process with too many decisions being made in silos. Large communication gap between development and infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Close the void between infrastructure and development. Implement a true Enterprise Architecture group that is responsible for steering all software and infrastructure development.

RSS Feed </> Embed